Notifications
Clear all

Guys Wearing Concealer

MemberMember
(@zachlooter)

Posted : 08/12/2013 6:11 pm

So I decided to try out concealer today because i've been breaking out and I'm gonna move in to college soon. gotta make a good impression ;). I decided beforehand I wanted the Neutrogena Skin Clearing Blemish Concealer, but was too scared to have someone help me pick a skin tone(there are only 4 choices by the way). I got one I thought looked right(Buff 09), but it actually was too light(I think). It was def noticeable. So tomorrow I'm gonna go get a different one. Should I choose light or medium? Or should I just pluck up the courage and ask a sales rep to help me. I'm scared cause I noticed them staring at me while I was browsing the makeup area.

Also, are sales associates/helpers really knowlegeable on choosing correct skin tones and stuff?

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 08/12/2013 6:18 pm

So I decided to try out concealer today because i've been breaking out and I'm gonna move in to college soon. gotta make a good impression ;). I decided beforehand I wanted the Neutrogena Skin Clearing Blemish Concealer, but was too scared to have someone help me pick a skin tone(there are only 4 choices by the way). I got one I thought looked right(Buff 09), but it actually was too light(I think). It was def noticeable. So tomorrow I'm gonna go get a different one. Should I choose light or medium? Or should I just pluck up the courage and ask a sales rep to help me. I'm scared cause I noticed them staring at me while I was browsing the makeup area.

Also, are sales associates/helpers really knowlegeable on choosing correct skin tones and stuff?

Lol, this is why i never wanted to go in that area. Believe it or not, most people are still ignorant and judgemental even in 2013. I mean i have a friend who thought my other friend was gay because he wore pink. Why dont you order online instead?

MemberMember
(@zachlooter)

Posted : 08/12/2013 6:29 pm

lol it's cause I'm leaving for college in 3 days and I don;t have enough time to order online! Also, I might make the mistake of picking the wrong skin tone again!

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/12/2013 6:48 pm

Zachlooter, If there are only 4 shades of the concealer, there probably isn't one that is the exact shade of your skin. It would be wise to keep the buff 09 shade and mix it with a slightly darker one for the perfect color. If you post a pic of your skin, I could try and help you with deciding a shade. Also, it depends where you buy the concealer. If you buy it at a drugstore, the people probably won't have a clue. If you buy it at a beauty store, they'd probably be pretty knowledgeable with shades and can help you pick one. And don't be worried about what other people think of a guy wearing makeup, it's not a big deal.

MemberMember
(@zachlooter)

Posted : 08/12/2013 6:56 pm

lol the weird thing is when the liquidy things comes out of the container, it actually looks much darker than my skin but when I spread it around, it's pretty lighter than my skin. Why is that? Sorry, I have no experience with any of this.

Oh and how do I post a pic?

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/12/2013 7:03 pm

lol the weird thing is when the liquidy things comes out of the container, it actually looks much darker than my skin but when I spread it around, it's pretty lighter than my skin. Why is that? Sorry, I have no experience with any of this.

Oh and how do I post a pic?

It could be that the contents within the container aren't mixed around enough and when you mix them on your skin they blend together. I don't wear liquid foundation, I use mineral makeup called bareminerals. If you want to upload something on this thread, then when you reply to me, click on "more reply options" right next to the reply option. Then click upload and upload a photo that you have downloaded on your computer.

MemberMember
(@zachlooter)

Posted : 08/12/2013 7:12 pm

I sent you a message Sarah! Anyone else wanna give me some advice?

MemberMember
(@torquemonster)

Posted : 08/12/2013 8:22 pm

My advice is to forget the concealer. You will make a fool of yourself at college with that stuff.

MemberMember
(@zachlooter)

Posted : 08/12/2013 8:55 pm

Why Torque?

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 08/12/2013 9:10 pm

Here's a thread that I'm hoping helped the guy who asked...give it a read. I hope it helps!

Also-i know plenty of guys that wear make-up. Sure, they don't advertise it but we know the people in our lives wouldn't be childish d-bags about it because there are obviously more important things to care about. :)

MemberMember
(@zachlooter)

Posted : 08/12/2013 10:35 pm

What does everyone think of having a sales assistant at a walgreens help me pick out a skin tone?

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/13/2013 12:07 am

My advice is to forget the concealer. You will make a fool of yourself at college with that stuff.

Why Torque?

Let me start off by saying the college isn't like high school it's real life now once you hit college age and people have way more important things to worry about then if you are wearing makeup. You won't make a fool of yourself. Trust me, if some one is making fun of you because of makeup they are immature and you want nothing to do with those judgemental jerks...

Second, tons of guys on this web site use makeup and that means that tons of guys in real like wear it too. Your not the first man to think of wearing makeup. What I recommend it using a BB cream or Cliniques CC cream. It's lighter then a foundation that would be noticeable on you if your not blending correctly or whatever.

Torque

Way to show support, why make this poster be scared to use makeup? Man or woman who cares he just wants to cover up his acne so he feels better about himself. That's his right to do it and he was looking for advice on what to do about the makeup. He wasn't looking to be told that college is a judgemental place where people will make a fool of you. I'm not sure what college you are going to or went to or didn't go to, but in my experience I can tell you grades for 99% of the school was much more important than if some guy wore coverup. That stuff just didn't matter to people anymore. It's time to grow up in college not to reenact high school. I think you'd be shocked by the amount of men wear some sort of makeup to cover things that they don't want the public to see. Many many many guys on this site use it. Open your mind a bit :)

MemberMember
(@zachlooter)

Posted : 08/13/2013 11:47 am

would anyone working in a walgreens be able to help me with my skin tone lol?

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 08/13/2013 12:02 pm

would anyone working in a walgreens be able to help me with my skin tone lol?

Usually Walgreen's has a person working in the cosmetics department for that biggrin.png I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out. Honestly, no one will judge you for getting concealer. It's not a big deal at all-- I've known guys who wore makeup and they were quite good at it. It looked natural and no one gave it any mind. The only way I knew they were wearing makeup was because they told me.

So, go to Walgreen's and ask! Also, keep in mind that concealer is supposed to be lighter than your skin tone. You need to place a dot of concealer on your spot and then lightly tap the concealer around (on the zit and around it) until it looks blended. Or, you could go with a BB cream (sort of like a foundation) and put it on your entire face. But you won't get the same type of coverage (BB creams are light coverage).

MemberMember
(@boyruckus)

Posted : 08/20/2013 7:48 pm

Yes no pne will judge you if you get Foundation or concealer. They will think otherwise if your getting blush or eyeshadow tho!

MemberMember
(@isaacneedshelp)

Posted : 08/20/2013 8:09 pm

I thought about it too but idk it feels weird but schools is all most coming up and i want to look good. So ill by garnier Bb cream it really covers up acne good ^.^ i heard , and im gladdly to give a try :)

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 08/21/2013 9:44 pm

I thought about it too but idk it feels weird but schools is all most coming up and i want to look good. So ill by garnier Bb cream it really covers up acne good ^.^ i heard , and im gladdly to give a try :)

Update us if it is noticable.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 08/29/2013 3:01 pm

I went to a counter once to buy some concealer, the girls at the counters are really helpful and no one is judging, was nice chatting to her actually..

failing that, just go to boots (if from UK) and get a witch concealer stick, dead cheap and contains witch hazel to actually fight the spot you are covering! its been a life saver for me, still getting acne at 26 y/o

and btw, my most 'manly' of mates all use it...

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/29/2013 4:52 pm

Use stores with self-checkout if you are a guy who doesn't feel comfortable paying for concealer to a person at the checkout