Notifications
Clear all

Heartbroken Over My Acne Reappearing.

MemberMember
(@starbright1810)

Posted : 08/12/2013 10:25 am

I am a 33yo woman who has been battling acne since the age of 11. Over the last year, it's reared it's ugly head again. I tend to get it under my chin and down the sides of my neck. I am in mid break out and literally ready to cry because it's so f-ing painful. I believe it's hormone related but my gp is useless. Trying to work up the energy to go into battle with gp again. The thought of going through the cycle of different treatments and having my hopes raised and dashed again just feels heartbreaking.

Feel really guilty for feeling so down while my kids are on summer break. They are all excited about going on hold but the thought of being stared at is awful.

Really bad day. Just need a bit of support. My OH and kids are amazing. But sometimes it would be nice to talk to someone who feels the same. Thanks.

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 08/12/2013 11:47 am

I am a 33yo woman who has been battling acne since the age of 11. Over the last year, it's reared it's ugly head again. I tend to get it under my chin and down the sides of my neck. I am in mid break out and literally ready to cry because it's so f-ing painful. I believe it's hormone related but my gp is useless. Trying to work up the energy to go into battle with gp again. The thought of going through the cycle of different treatments and having my hopes raised and dashed again just feels heartbreaking.

Feel really guilty for feeling so down while my kids are on summer break. They are all excited about going on hold but the thought of being stared at is awful.

Really bad day. Just need a bit of support. My OH and kids are amazing. But sometimes it would be nice to talk to someone who feels the same. Thanks.

You're in a very good place right now. In that, your acne is reappearing after a period of clarity (tell me if I'm wrong). If I were you, I wouldn't do anything drastic that may cause the acne to persist any longer than it intends to (anti-biotics, topicals that weaken the skin). Have you had any recent diet changes?, are you showering with different water?, have you been stressed?, using new products?, purchase a new pet?, living in a new area?.

Do you remember what you did last time to attain clear skin?. If it isn't broke, don't fix it?.

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 08/12/2013 11:57 am

Im sorry to hear that you are going thru this. I, too, am in the same boat. Im a 38 year old male and after about 3 years of relative clarity, mine is coming back as well. This past winter, it was very bad, very large cysts that required cortisone injections; this left scarring. Im on a bunch of topicals and an oral antibiotic, but I dont think they are providing much relief.

I just wanted to reply to let you know that you arent alone and there are several us here over the typical age when people get acne. Its hard for me to offer any advice because I find myself having such a difficult time w/ it that it would be hypocritical.

I hope that whatever regimen you are on, or choose to pursue, shows some positive results for you.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 08/12/2013 12:11 pm

You're not alone. I am a 32 year old female who still gets acne around my chin. It sucks - I have scarring now too. I understand about the kids situation - my daughter is only 1 but I'm already anticipating issues as she gets older. My husband is also wonderful and is the only thing getting me through this sometimes. So many times I just think why me? Have you tried spiro? That is really the go to med for us adult females.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 08/12/2013 4:37 pm

Did you use a routine to get it under control? If so, keep it up, and try not to panic. If after a few months it's not gone away, or it starts to get worse, then look into different treatments with the advantage of knowing that you CAN be clear.

Also, skin condition can be gotten back, but not lost moments with your children. They don't care what your face looks like, they just want you to share their happiness.

MemberMember
(@starbright1810)

Posted : 08/13/2013 4:01 am

Michi31 - thanks for your reply. What is Spiro? Is it a birth control pill? If so, is it a mini pill? I get migraines, so I cannot take the combined pill which is a bummer as these are the type that help acne! Also is it available in UK? Thanks :-)

Thank you all for your supportive messages. Today looks like it's a better day mentally. As I seem to have hormonal flare ups , my hormones make it harder to cope with it all :-/ Made an appointment with my GP for the week my kids go back to school and I'm not leaving the surgery until I get sent for some blood tests and been referred to the dermatologist. I've survived this once and I'll do it again!!!

Just want to add, Michi31 - I used to worry my kids would be upset about my skin. My eldest asked me once why my skin is the way it is. I told him some people have freckles, I have acne. He's never been bothered about it since. He's never been picked on because of my skin. Kids seem to accept you as you are, it's adults that judge.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 08/13/2013 7:24 am

You might want to look up PCOS and ask your doctor about it. I got diagnosed before my acne showed up, but it can be an indicator of the hormonal problems it causes.

MemberMember
(@starbright1810)

Posted : 08/13/2013 8:44 am

Yeah, I have been thinking about pcos because I've put on a not of weight which seems to be impossible to shift even though I have a healthy diet and exercise daily. Thanks for your reply, wish the internet was around when I was in my Teens, would have loved this support network x

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 08/13/2013 10:03 am

Michi31 - thanks for your reply. What is Spiro? Is it a birth control pill? If so, is it a mini pill? I get migraines, so I cannot take the combined pill which is a bummer as these are the type that help acne! Also is it available in UK? Thanks whistling.gif)

Thank you all for your supportive messages. Today looks like it's a better day mentally. As I seem to have hormonal flare ups , my hormones make it harder to cope with it all :-/ Made an appointment with my GP for the week my kids go back to school and I'm not leaving the surgery until I get sent for some blood tests and been referred to the dermatologist. I've survived this once and I'll do it again!!!

Just want to add, Michi31 - I used to worry my kids would be upset about my skin. My eldest asked me once why my skin is the way it is. I told him some people have freckles, I have acne. He's never been bothered about it since. He's never been picked on because of my skin. Kids seem to accept you as you are, it's adults that judge.

Spiro is a blood pressure medication but it's frequently used off-label to block androgens that cause acne and facial hair in women. I have seen in some other posts that people are having trouble getting it prescribed in the UK though. Thanks for your comments about the kids - I love hearing things like that as it's one of my biggest fears that my skin will affect my relationship with my daughter. How old is your oldest?

MemberMember
(@supernova30)

Posted : 08/13/2013 11:27 am

I'm interested to hear more about what it's like to have kids while also dealing with acne. I'm 31 and pregnant with my first and get infrequent but severe cysts that really get to me emotionally. I'm sure it would sound like a stupid worry to everyone else about to have a child but I truly worry about dealing with my acne. I know I won't be able to hide out the way I sometimes do, take the time I want with my regimen and makeup, and just generally obsess. Maybe this is a good thing - get my mind off of it - but I know it will still get to me and I don't want to deprive my kid of interactions and a happy mom just because of my self-consciousness over acne.

Did having a child help you refocus your attention away from acne? Or is it just that much harder?

Edited to add: I'm sorry, don't mean to take over your thread. I'm new here and maybe should have started a new topic.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 08/13/2013 11:34 am

Yeah it would be nice to start a thread dedicated to this issue, or even form our own group somewhere as moms dealing with skin issues. I will say for me it is a blessing and truly a joy to have a child, and that always makes things better not worse. Of course she's 1 and doesn't think anything of my skin so that's nice for now. Congrats on your pregnancy! When are you due?

I'm interested to hear more about what it's like to have kids while also dealing with acne. I'm 31 and pregnant with my first and get infrequent but severe cysts that really get to me emotionally. I'm sure it would sound like a stupid worry to everyone else about to have a child but I truly worry about dealing with my acne. I know I won't be able to hide out the way I sometimes do, take the time I want with my regimen and makeup, and just generally obsess. Maybe this is a good thing - get my mind off of it - but I know it will still get to me and I don't want to deprive my kid of interactions and a happy mom just because of my self-consciousness over acne.

Did having a child help you refocus your attention away from acne? Or is it just that much harder?

Edited to add: I'm sorry, don't mean to take over your thread. I'm new here and maybe should have started a new topic.

MemberMember
(@supernova30)

Posted : 08/13/2013 11:47 am

I'm due in November and am equal parts excited and terrified about the giant life change! Always nice to hear that kids do make things better :)

Maybe I'll start a thread on the topic - see if others interested.

Yeah it would be nice to start a thread dedicated to this issue, or even form our own group somewhere as moms dealing with skin issues. I will say for me it is a blessing and truly a joy to have a child, and that always makes things better not worse. Of course she's 1 and doesn't think anything of my skin so that's nice for now. Congrats on your pregnancy! When are you due?

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 08/13/2013 2:25 pm

Heartbroken....hmmm At least your heart can break.Mine has been broken so many times that it has become immune. LOL

MemberMember
(@gotohellacne)

Posted : 08/13/2013 4:06 pm

Lol, try having it in middle school.

Anyway, you beat the battle once, you can beat it again. Just don't give up! I'm only 14 and my acne consists of cysts, pigmentation, scars, etc. we'll get through this together :)

MemberMember
(@bodie81)

Posted : 08/13/2013 11:56 pm

Hi Starbright1810,

I am a 40yo male from the UK who still suffers from breakouts from time to time. If you take a look around these forums, you will find that there are a number of us in our 30s and 40s so you are definitely not alone.

Originally joined acne.org not just because of having acne but also because of the psychological issues that having acne since the age of 12 has caused me to have. Feel free to have a look at my profile and read some of my posts - you will see what I mean.

Pleased to say that both the acne and psychological issues are doing quite well at the moment.

Having kids around definitely helps. I don`t have kids myself but I have two young nephews who I see frequently and being around them definitely takes you out of your thoughts and distracts you. Furthermore, they don`t care about acne or your appearance - unlike certain adults. Also sounds as though you have a great deal of support from your husband which must be a great help.

Don`t give in. Things can and will improve - you just have to persevere.

MemberMember
(@starbright1810)

Posted : 08/14/2013 6:58 am

Michi31 - thanks for your reply. What is Spiro? Is it a birth control pill? If so, is it a mini pill? I get migraines, so I cannot take the combined pill which is a bummer as these are the type that help acne! Also is it available in UK? Thanks whistling.gif)

Spiro is a blood pressure medication but it's frequently used off-label to block androgens that cause acne and facial hair in women. I have seen in some other posts that people are having trouble getting it prescribed in the UK though. Thanks for your comments about the kids - I love hearing things like that as it's one of my biggest fears that my skin will affect my relationship with my daughter. How old is your oldest?

MemberMember
(@starbright1810)

Posted : 08/14/2013 7:16 am

Michi131 and Supernova30:

My eldest is nearly 10 and my youngest is nearly 5. TBH, after having DS, nothing else really mattered. It didn't matter to him that mommy was having a break out because just as we love our kids unconditionally, they love us the same.

I did worry that he'd be picked on because of my skin, but it's not a road we've come to yet. I find that honesty is the best, when DS was younger if he asked me why my skin was different I'd just explain that some people have freckles, I get spots. A few of his friends asked what was wrong and even though their parents were mortified, I don't mind explaining.

TBH, some of the moms at DS were a bit 'off' with me at first because of the acne - guess they thought I ate rubbish food etc. They aren't the type of people I worry about.

Only once has one particular nasty child said "Your mom's skin is nasty". But DS went straight to his head teacher and reported it straight away. That was this a year and the child in question is the school bully who is vile to everyone.

Basically, my acne has no way interfered with my relationship with my kids. If anything, I am glad to have acne so if my kids have the same battle, I can completely be able to understand them x

MemberMember
(@maskedone)

Posted : 08/14/2013 7:50 am

Just adding to the rest -- I'm in my 30's and female. My acne (all cystic) appeared out of nowhere about a month ago. I'm getting multiple cysts a day. I've never had cysts before, but had acne in high school. I hadn't seen a dermatologist in years because I didn't have to! Now...it's weekly, if not more. I'm now considering Accutane and I'm scared to take it.

I'm simultaneously heartbroken, numb, depressed, angry, and still try my hardest to remain hopeful.

This is a great place for support. Welcome.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 08/16/2013 7:10 pm

You're in a very good place right now. In that, your acne is reappearing after a period of clarity (tell me if I'm wrong). If I were you, I wouldn't do anything drastic that may cause the acne to persist any longer than it intends to (anti-biotics, topicals that weaken the skin). Have you had any recent diet changes?, are you showering with different water?, have you been stressed?, using new products?, purchase a new pet?, living in a new area?.

Do you remember what you did last time to attain clear skin?. If it isn't broke, don't fix it?.

Her acne most likely reappeared because it's no longer in a dormant stage and is out of remission. Acne is a genetic disease, it is not a self limited condition that goes away with "time". Most of us will have reoccurences of acne into our 30-40's despite our best efforts to keep the disease in a state of remission through use of medications or strict lifestyle.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 08/20/2013 2:12 am

Her acne most likely reappeared because it's no longer in a dormant stage and is out of remission. Acne is a genetic disease, it is not a self limited condition that goes away with "time". Most of us will have reoccurences of acne into our 30-40's despite our best efforts to keep the disease in a state of remission through use of medications or strict lifestyle.

If it is PCOS then there's many events in a woman's life that can knock the hormones out of whack - then the acne and weight issues begin. Speaking of which, a low glycemic index diet can do wonders, if you haven't tried that already OP :) It keeps me in the best weight range for my height anyway. The hormones change again later on in life and that probably set all the inflammation and oil off again. However, if you could get clear in the first place then there's obviously some method of coping with that, and unless the acne has somehow got more severe then it'll go away again in due time (times and hormonal balance obviously correlate).

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 08/20/2013 4:29 pm

If it is PCOS then there's many events in a woman's life that can knock the hormones out of whack - then the acne and weight issues begin. Speaking of which, a low glycemic index diet can do wonders, if you haven't tried that already OP smile.png It keeps me in the best weight range for my height anyway. The hormones change again later on in life and that probably set all the inflammation and oil off again. However, if you could get clear in the first place then there's obviously some method of coping with that, and unless the acne has somehow got more severe then it'll go away again in due time (times and hormonal balance obviously correlate).

Hormones do not directly cause acne, genetics do. And nearly 90% of men and women affected by chronic acne have normal androgen levels but increased sebaceous sensitivity. PCOS does not directly cause acne, there are many women with PCOS who have perfectly clear skin because they do not have a genetic predisposition to hyperkeratinization or androgen sensitivity.

A low GI diet simply balances insulin (or keeps insulin levels more consistent) but there is no guarantee it will completely clear someones skin 100%.