Notifications
Clear all

Salicylic Acid Cleanser

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/11/2013 9:42 pm

Alright guys, I'm coming to you because I know you know best! What is the BEST salicylic acid face wash out there??

Just so everyone knows, my face can't tolerate BP, so there's no use mentioning it as much as I would love to use it!

Thank you in advance :) Xo

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/11/2013 11:03 pm

I've used plenty of salicylic acid face washes, since my skin gets irritated from bp. My favorite salicylic face wash is Clinique's acne solution foaming wash. It has 2% (like most salicylic washes do) but it smells clean, never dries out my sensitive skin and goes for about $20 a pop but it lasts 4-5 months. I also like Aveeno's clear complexion foaming cleanser. It is a tad more perfumey than the clinique one, but does the job without getting my skin upset. The Aveeno one is about $7 from a local drugstore. My Least favorite salicylic acid face washes are the oil free gel ones by Neutrogena. I love the pink grapefruit smell, but it seems to irritate my skin more than a foaming cleanser. I used to use the neutrogena one for a long time, but I retried it a few weeks ago and my skin flushed pink after I washed it.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 08/12/2013 12:30 am

i use one named saslic foaming facewash (1%).its mild and pH balanced.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/12/2013 11:45 am

I've used plenty of salicylic acid face washes, since my skin gets irritated from bp. My favorite salicylic face wash is Clinique's acne solution foaming wash. It has 2% (like most salicylic washes do) but it smells clean, never dries out my sensitive skin and goes for about $20 a pop but it lasts 4-5 months. I also like Aveeno's clear complexion foaming cleanser. It is a tad more perfumey than the clinique one, but does the job without getting my skin upset. The Aveeno one is about $7 from a local drugstore. My Least favorite salicylic acid face washes are the oil free gel ones by Neutrogena. I love the pink grapefruit smell, but it seems to irritate my skin more than a foaming cleanser. I used to use the neutrogena one for a long time, but I retried it a few weeks ago and my skin flushed pink after I washed it.

I've heard a lot of people recommend Aveeno! Does the wash foam up? I have combiantion/oily skin, so foamy cleansers are almost a must. My skin is super sensitive and cannot tolerate BP as well, so salicylic acid washes are really the only way to go for me. I absolutely HATE all Clinique products. I've used their dark spot corrector and dramatically different moisturizing gel. Both upset my skin and caused me to break out, which is upsetting because I so wanted to love the products. Especially for the price I payed. I agree about the Neutrogena. I have had such awful experiences with the brand, and the only explanation I have is that they must not be hypoallergenic/non-comedogenic.

What about Olay? That was another one that's commonly recommended... Have you had any experience with that wash?

i use one named saslic foaming facewash (1%).its mild and pH balanced.

Thank you for the suggestion! That may be a good wash to start with and work my way up to a 2% cleanser.

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/12/2013 12:31 pm

I've heard a lot of people recommend Aveeno! Does the wash foam up? I have combiantion/oily skin, so foamy cleansers are almost a must. My skin is super sensitive and cannot tolerate BP as well, so salicylic acid washes are really the only way to go for me. I absolutely HATE all Clinique products. I've used their dark spot corrector and dramatically different moisturizing gel. Both upset my skin and caused me to break out, which is upsetting because I so wanted to love the products. Especially for the price I payed. I agree about the Neutrogena. I have had such awful experiences with the brand, and the only explanation I have is that they must not be hypoallergenic/non-comedogenic.

What about Olay? That was another one that's commonly recommended... Have you had any experience with that wash?

>i use one named saslic foaming facewash (1%).its mild and pH balanced.

Thank you for the suggestion! That may be a good wash to start with and work my way up to a 2% cleanser.

I've had no experiences with the Olay wash so I can't tell you from experience. But the Aveeno one is worth a shot! The Aveeno one pumps out as a foam, you don't have to rub it in your hands to make it foamy. It's very light, with a light scent and I personally like it, especially for the price! And I'm sorry the clinique products didn't work out for you.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/12/2013 2:33 pm

I will definitely check out the Aveeno wash! I need to start using SA, and hopefully it will help with the tiny bumps I've been complaining about! Thanks for the suggestion :)

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 08/12/2013 2:55 pm

Garnier do a nice 2% one in their Pure Active range. My skin's really sensitive to BP as well but it got on fine with this wash, in fact it made it feel really nice! Another plus side is it's pretty affordable (about 5 here in the UK).

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/13/2013 3:42 pm

Garnier do a nice 2% one in their Pure Active range. My skin's really sensitive to BP as well but it got on fine with this wash, in fact it made it feel really nice! Another plus side is it's pretty affordable (about £5 here in the UK).

Do you know if there are any of the typical skin irritants in that wash? I can't use anything that isn't hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic. I break out with rashes on my cheeks every time I stray from those products. It's so annoying. Definitely a great thing that it is such an affordable and effective product for you! :)

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 08/13/2013 4:09 pm

Garnier do a nice 2% one in their Pure Active range. My skin's really sensitive to BP as well but it got on fine with this wash, in fact it made it feel really nice! Another plus side is it's pretty affordable (about £5 here in the UK).

Do you know if there are any of the typical skin irritants in that wash? I can't use anything that isn't hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic. I break out with rashes on my cheeks every time I stray from those products. It's so annoying. Definitely a great thing that it is such an affordable and effective product for you! smile.png

Errm well I'm not really sure what you'd count as typical skin irritants but you could probably find an ingredients list if you Googled it. It's called Garnier Pure Active Deep Pore Unclogging Wash. :) Sounds like it might not do the trick if you're skin's that sensitive though!

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/13/2013 5:00 pm

Do you know if there are any of the typical skin irritants in that wash? I can't use anything that isn't hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic. I break out with rashes on my cheeks every time I stray from those products. It's so annoying. Definitely a great thing that it is such an affordable and effective product for you! smile.png

Errm well I'm not really sure what you'd count as typical skin irritants but you could probably find an ingredients list if you Googled it. It's called Garnier Pure Active Deep Pore Unclogging Wash. smile.png Sounds like it might not do the trick if you're skin's that sensitive though!

Okey doke, I shall definitely be doing some research. It always bums me out how my sensitive skin makes everything much more difficult, and in the end more expensive -.-

MemberMember
(@cookiej)

Posted : 08/14/2013 7:55 am

On 8/12/2013 at 8:42 AM, Rosalie324 said:

Alright guys, I'm coming to you because I know you know best! What is the BEST salicylic acid face wash out there??

Just so everyone knows, my face can't tolerate BP, so there's no use mentioning it as much as I would love to use it!

Thank you in advance smile.png Xo

The only salicylic acid cleanser that seems to work for me is a cream wash with added moisturisers (for sensitive skin) from a Clean & Clear. Unfortunately shops seem to sell the one without added moisturisers nowadays (but this is way too drying for me, even if I apply moisturiser afterwards). angry.png The salicylic acid seemed to work as my acne would become less inflamed, all whilst my skin felt soft and moisturised. smile.png

Anyway, it is still available online. But the only place I've seen it available is here: [Removed]

Hope it helps. :D

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/14/2013 12:15 pm

On 8/14/2013 at 6:55 PM, CookieJ said:
On 8/12/2013 at 8:42 AM, Rosalie324 said:

Thank you in advance smile.png Xo

The only salicylic acid cleanser that seems to work for me is a cream wash with added moisturisers (for sensitive skin) from a Clean & Clear. Unfortunately shops seem to sell the one without added moisturisers nowadays (but this is way too drying for me, even if I apply moisturiser afterwards). angry.png The salicylic acid seemed to work as my acne would become less inflamed, all whilst my skin felt soft and moisturised. smile.png

Anyway, it is still available online. But the only place I've seen it available is here: [Removed]

Hope it helps. biggrin.png

Thank you so much! I'm going to look into this for sure. I'm so nervous about switching anything up with my regimen... From everything I've read though, it does seem like I need to add some BHA to my normal routine. Do you (or anyone else) know if when you start using salicylic acid, there will be an IB? I'd really like to avoid that at all costs.

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 08/14/2013 1:48 pm

I use a salicylic acid toner after cleansing from Lumiplexion. It stays on the skin longer to be more effective. There are three strength levels to help with any irritation from using it. It's great for the small bumps on the face.

I tried Aveeno, Neutrogena, etc. None of them worked for me either, and they irritated my skin. I use Lumiplexion (green) cleanser with a face brush and follow it up with the SA in the morning. At night I use glycolic acid.

Lumiplexion is not sold in stores. She was a local esthetician over 20 years ago to me. Her business is now all online. There is a FB page and she runs monthly discounts as well from FB. Over the last 23 years, I keep coming back to her products because they are made specifically for people with acne prone skin, and they are not bound by some of the restrictions of mass marketed items like Neutrogena, Aveeno, etc.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/15/2013 9:43 am

I use a salicylic acid toner after cleansing from Lumiplexion. It stays on the skin longer to be more effective. There are three strength levels to help with any irritation from using it. It's great for the small bumps on the face.

I tried Aveeno, Neutrogena, etc. None of them worked for me either, and they irritated my skin. I use Lumiplexion (green) cleanser with a face brush and follow it up with the SA in the morning. At night I use glycolic acid.

Lumiplexion is not sold in stores. She was a local esthetician over 20 years ago to me. Her business is now all online. There is a FB page and she runs monthly discounts as well from FB. Over the last 23 years, I keep coming back to her products because they are made specifically for people with acne prone skin, and they are not bound by some of the restrictions of mass marketed items like Neutrogena, Aveeno, etc.

That sounds interesting. I will be looking into that. The cleanser I'm using now, Effaclar, is honestly the first to not irritate my skin (from a drugstore). When using that product do you start with the lowest strength and gradually work your way up, or just use the strength that doesn't irritate your skin? Also, would you recommend it for people with sensitive skin?

MemberMember
(@who-is-box)

Posted : 08/15/2013 9:57 am

Clearasil makes good ones i have no problems at all with it

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 08/15/2013 10:21 am

My daughter has extremely sensitive skin. She cannot use BP and uses sulfur because of it. She tolerated the SA without any issues. You would start with Salicylic 1 and by the time you're done with that bottle, you go to 2, and then 3. I can't recall them specifically right now, but they 2% to 5% I believe, so the SA is stronger than what you can buy in the store as well.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 08/15/2013 12:02 pm

for regular use its best to stick to 1-2% SA IMO.

u dont wanna be to harsh!

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/15/2013 2:33 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! I will probably not go above 2% for SA, because I am already using topicals on my skin (including a sulfur antibiotic). Does anyone know if SA acts as a preventative measure for acne? I'm finding that Aczone is better at treating existing pimples, rather than preventing breakouts in the first place. Also, I've read that when using a SA cleanser, you should let the wash sit on your face for a minute or two to get optimal results from the chemical. Has anyone found that to be beneficial?

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 08/15/2013 2:53 pm

The washes are not going to be very effective. You want the acid to be on your skin for a period of time to break down and exfoliate the trapped skin cells. Also don't think you can't go over 2% based on replies here. Every product is made different. Dan's 2.5 BP bothered and irritated one of my daughter's skin, while Lumiplexion's 10% BP did not and helped a lot. Remember that 2% of a product leaves 98% of ingredients that also can irritate your skin. It's all how they are formulated. It's not apples to apples. It's apples to bacon.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/15/2013 3:30 pm

Hmmm... I do like bacon haha I think I'm going to just call my dermatologist. She knows the condition of my skin and hopefully will be able to make the decision for me. I'm going to relay all the information you guys are giving me, because honestly I trust your judgment way more than hers. (She's one of those dermatologists who looks like she's never had a zit in her life -.-) I'm just terrible at making decisions, especially one's regarding my skin. Thanks again! I'll report back when I have an answer, I suppose.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 08/16/2013 1:12 am

Thanks for the replies guys! I will probably not go above 2% for SA, because I am already using topicals on my skin (including a sulfur antibiotic). Does anyone know if SA acts as a preventative measure for acne? I'm finding that Aczone is better at treating existing pimples, rather than preventing breakouts in the first place. Also, I've read that when using a SA cleanser, you should let the wash sit on your face for a minute or two to get optimal results from the chemical. Has anyone found that to be beneficial?

i use a mild SA foaming wash (1%) and the box reads keep it for 20 seconds but my doc (who actually recommended it) said 1-2 minutes and it's mild, pH balanced and it does help.

technically a SA wash is suppose to 'prevent' because its unclogging ur pores, removing excess oil & diet and also removing the upper dead cells.

but thats not worthy enough if u have hormonal imbalance and you want to stop acne with this.

its basically the 'whole picture' that is considered.

as for the concentration.

as far as my lil' knowledge goes, concentrations are marked keeping the mass % and strength in mind.

2.5%, 3.5% or a 5% of bp is usually what people feel is mild.

i've never heard 10% being mild on anyone's skin.if it has, am glad something has worked.

but as per standard definition of what you get in market, go by the claim.

personally i use a bp (3.5%) aqueous gel sometimes as spot treatment and it effects my skin by making that spot redder and creased.

mine is not Dan's but a prescription product.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/16/2013 12:06 pm

i use a mild SA foaming wash (1%) and the box reads keep it for 20 seconds but my doc (who actually recommended it) said 1-2 minutes and it's mild, pH balanced and it does help.

technically a SA wash is suppose to 'prevent' because its unclogging ur pores, removing excess oil & diet and also removing the upper dead cells.

but thats not worthy enough if u have hormonal imbalance and you want to stop acne with this.

as far as my lil' knowledge goes, concentrations are marked keeping the mass % and strength in mind.

i've never heard 10% being mild on anyone's skin.if it has, am glad something has worked.

personally i use a bp (3.5%) aqueous gel sometimes as spot treatment and it effects my skin by making that spot redder and creased.

Yeah, I don't believe that SA will stop my acne, I just want to add something into my regimen to help with those clogged pores and tiny papules that seem to haunt me. I would say my "whole picture" is generally healthy. I'm very health conscious and extremely aware of everything I put into my body. My spot treatment is 2% SA from Clearasil... I do not think it works very well. It does a good job at drying up popped pimples, but not at preventing an incoming zit from forming. I don't know if that means I would need to use a higher concentration of Salicylic Acid for my face, or maybe not? I don't know haha

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 08/16/2013 12:43 pm

Yeah, I don't believe that SA will stop my acne, I just want to add something into my regimen to help with those clogged pores and tiny papules that seem to haunt me. I would say my "whole picture" is generally healthy. I'm very health conscious and extremely aware of everything I put into my body. My spot treatment is 2% SA from Clearasil... I do not think it works very well. It does a good job at drying up popped pimples, but not at preventing an incoming zit from forming. I don't know if that means I would need to use a higher concentration of Salicylic Acid for my face, or maybe not? I don't know haha

SA wash or cream is to some extent 'preventive' in nature.

spot treatment IMO is not the best option for SA.

SA unlike bp doesnt kill p.acnes by oxidation.

it works in keeping the pores unclogged, removing the dead cells and cleaning dirt/oil etc.

so its a preventive measure.

it can help heal a already active/already formed acne FASTER but it alone cant zip it off by killing the bacteria.

so if you spot treat, clindamycin+ nicotinamide gel or bp are good options.

while SA is best in wash form IMO.

some uses creams too.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/16/2013 8:32 pm

SA wash or cream is to some extent 'preventive' in nature.

spot treatment IMO is not the best option for SA.

SA unlike bp doesnt kill p.acnes by oxidation.

it works in keeping the pores unclogged, removing the dead cells and cleaning dirt/oil etc.

so its a preventive measure.

it can help heal a already active/already formed acne FASTER but it alone cant zip it off by killing the bacteria.

so if you spot treat, clindamycin+ nicotinamide gel or bp are good options.

while SA is best in wash form IMO.

some uses creams too.

Cool! Thanks for the info :) I'm still trying to decide which cleanser is best to try... Don't want any bad interactions with the products I'm already using.

In reference to spot treatment... I am using the antibiotic cream Avar e (sodium sulfacetamide 10% sulfur 5%). Would using a sulfur spot treatment (8%) be overkill for my skin? I'm trying to avoid BP at all costs because of how sensitive my skin is. I already have a tiny indented scar near my eyebrows from trying Acne Free.. don't want another bad run in with BP. I think sulfur works way better than SA at diminishing new and already formed zits IMO.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 08/17/2013 1:18 am

i have less/no idea about sulphur products so its best u dnt take my suggestion.lol.

shoot a proper thread,am sure u will get effective answers.

=)