Notifications
Clear all

Anyone Else Doing Low Candida Diet?

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 08/11/2013 11:03 am

http://www.foodmatters.tv/articles-1/how-to-overcome-candida-naturally

First off, I want to start off by saying I have about 85% of those symptoms listed in that article.

I have been struggling with acne for almost a couple of years now. A friend of mine has talked me into going paleo. In doing so, I was getting almost no carbs. My skin was starting to improve after about 3 weeks. However, In that time, I lost over 14 lbs. I blame that on me not getting enough healthy fats to keep my calories up. Since I lost so much weight, I decided to start weightlifting to put on muscle. I increased my carb intake and started eating 1-2 sweet potatoes a day... and little by little. . My skin Was getting bad again. I also have other symptoms of candida overgrowth such as brain fog, lots of mucus In my throat, hair falling out BY THE ROOTS, mood swings, depression and my bowel movements are EXTREMELY irregular. I wish I knew how to get rid of this! On paleo, I'm also doing the autoimmune protocol and low fodmaps diet as well. The only things I have been eating are meat, extra virgin olive oil, extra virgin coconut oil, kale, spinach, bok choy, ginger and sea salt. I cook or steam all the veggies. I'm not eating fruit. In doing this, I am losing weight again! I'm wondering if I can still reduce the candida if I'm only eating about half a sweet potato after a workout? Im also worried about consuming too much fats. Ive been known to chug 4 tbsps of extra virgin olive oil right before bed just to get my calories up. Very sickening! There was also an article that I read about how weightlifting can cause more candida. Does anyone agree or disagree with this? As of a few days ago, I've been drinking 3-5 tsps of Apple cider vinegar a day, taking probiotics and cod liver oil. I also take a prenatal. My digestion hasn't improved. I had diarrhea but that's about it. Sorry for such Personal information, buthow else can I explainwhat I'm going through? Another article I read stated that you shouldn't eliminate all sugars because candida will travel up your intestines to try and find something to thrive on! Sorry this is all over the place as I am posting this from my phone. So all in all, What do you all suggest? Could this be candida overgrowth? If so, What should I do? I know some of you may tell me to go get checked, but I cannot afford to at the moment, which is why I turn to this forum. I know stressing out about it doesn't help, but I can't help it:( it's only been a week and a half since I started the low candida diet. I will be lifting weights again and only eat a half a sweet potato after I workout that will be the only "higher" carb that I will be eating. I won't be eating any fruits. Ill take my milk thistle extract, probiotics, cod liver oil, prenatal vitamins and drink my apple cider vinegar as recommended. Ill continue to wash my face with my simple sensitive skin facewash and tone with Apple cider vinegar as well. I also be consuming anywhere from 4-5 of extra virgin coconut oil. im also going to purchase pau d' arco tea or the tablets, whichever i can find. I read a lot of other posts from people doing the anti candida thing, but it's like everyones stopped posting before they shared their resuLts! has anyone else tried this?? Either way, ill update every couple of days or so!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 08/11/2013 8:14 pm

I have most of the symptoms for candida overgrowth too, and I tried the diet for about 3 months but unfortunately I didn't know at the time that I had a histamine problem so some things I was eating on the candida diet (tuna, tomatoes, yogurt) were making my digestive issues worse and triggering allergic reactions and hive-like bumps. A low histamine diet helped me way more than the anti-candida diet but it was even more restrictive....now I am still watching what I eat, but I cut down on the supplements (including probiotics) and herbal teas. Pau d-arco actually made me feel nauseous, and I had a terrible breakout with milk thistle. So now I'm trying to gently cleanse my liver and GI tract. Taking digestive enzymes has helped me tremendously, and so has avoiding sulfites in everything (including cosmetics and food colorings/preservatives). I think along with candida I have leaky gut, which is why I used to eat a lot and never put on weight.....eating sweet potatoes helps keep the weight on, and I have actually gained a few pounds since starting this diet.

Btw, I lift weights too and work out almost every day, and I wouldn't stop that even if it did cause acne....it's my de-stressor, and if it makes you feel good then don't worry about it. Just make sure you wash your face after you sweat. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 08/12/2013 2:12 am

I already keep many things out of my diet and have been for over a month now. No soy, dairy, gluten, corn, peanuts, artificial sugars, sweeteners, processed foods, nuts, eggs, nightshades, seeds, alcohol, NSAIDS, etc. And In doing the low fodmaps diet, there are additional vegetables and fruit that I avoid. I seriously eat only about ten different things. Its insane! I wouldn't care so much if every little zit didn't leave a scar! I have hyperpigmentation as well as ice pick scars. I'm trying to keep it from spreading everywhere. As of right now though, the only place I do not break out at is my forehead. It use to be just little zits around my menstrual cycle that would go away, but now its just continuous! Not only that, but I always feel sleepy and have brain fogs, dark circles and hair loss. I'm concerned with my overall health. Ill just have to see if it works for me. I'm hopeful because it has worked for others. Then again, everyone is different! We shall see! What supplements are you currently taking now?

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 08/12/2013 10:42 pm

I just want to add that the Apple cider vinegar I am applying typically is drying my zits out very fast! I use it as a toner at night only. After, I just apply pure jojoba oil to moisturize.

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 08/14/2013 9:01 am

So far, the only thing I had that was Starchy in the past week was one sweet potato last night. We shall see how this goes!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 08/14/2013 10:42 pm

You can't survive on such a restrictive diet, no wonder you are losing weight. How about adding some nuts back into your diet for some healthy fat? Walnuts and almonds are the best, unless of course you have an allergy to nuts. You could start with walnuts and see how it goes, and also add pumpkin seeds.

Right now, I'm taking digestive enzymes with every meal (enzymedica's digest gold or digest spectrum), vitamin D2 (prescription from my doctor for deficiency), vitamin C-ester sometimes, and sometimes a supplement with selenium & vitamin E. I'm thinking of adding Candidase because, according to online reviews, it doesn't cause a serious die-off reaction like other candida supplements do. My diet hasn't been as strict lately, that's why I need supplements to help me fill in the gaps.

I'm also trying out edible earth bentonite clay to clear out some toxins, but it's too soon to tell if it's working.

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 08/15/2013 11:43 pm

Nuts aren't as healthy as many people think. For one, a lot of them have more of the omega 6 fats than the omega 3s. They are also gut irritating and can cause inflammation. I've eliminated them for a while to see if itwill help, and I believe it has been! I can't afford to get tested for food allergies at the moment, which is why I'm doing this elimination diet. I've also stopped losing weight since eating a little more extra virgin coconut oil with my meals and more meat. They say it takes time for the acne to go away, if it In fact is caused by food sensitivities. In another month and a half, I may again try nuts. I'm still not too sure though. My biggest thing is I'm constantly thinking about breaking out and I'm sure that doesn't help a bit! I need to work on my managing my stress better. That is my biggest issue.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 08/16/2013 4:57 am

If you are going to do the holistic route than I suggest you check out threads on juicing and start juicing vegetables. Home made dairy kefir also worked for me. Supplements like zinc/vitamin d3 also works for some. But again everything except Accutane is like a band aid.

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 08/16/2013 7:33 pm

Accutane poses way to many risks that just aren't worth it. Besides, there are a couple of people I work with that have been on accutane. Their skin's cleared up. Not even a year later, and they're broken out again. I don't see the point of going on something so harsh with no benefits at all. I've been considering juicing. I'd still only juice maybe three vegetables since I limit those so drastically anyways.

Ended up eating another sweet potato today and I felt so bloated afterwards.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 08/16/2013 9:44 pm

You're right, accutane isn't worth the risk, especially since for many people it's not even a long term solution. The underlying cause(s) of acne need to be found, not suppressed through medication. There are cases where acne is just the tip of the iceberg, and it's a sign of deeper issues that need to be addressed so I don't think the solution is taking something for the acne specifically. The holistic route looks at interconnected factors to get to the root of the issue.

I'm curious, what do you eat every day to feel full since you cut out so many things? I was really strict at first, but then I started adding more things to my diet and, apart from a few things, my skin is still the same. I realized that stress gives me worse flare ups than food because it raises my histamines to the point of an allergic reaction, so I'm trying my best to limit the stress. I used to avoid nuts too, but have now added walnuts and almonds a few times a week to feel full and get some energy. I have low progesterone and walnuts supposedly help balance it, but of course I would have to eat tons of them to even notice a difference over time.

Are you taking probiotics or other supplements?

Sweet potatoes are very nutritious if you have them once in a while, but if you feel bloated then maybe try half or try a regular potato...if you still feel uncomfortable then maybe starches don't agree with you.

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 08/17/2013 11:33 pm

My zits are healing nicely. Only got one tiny zit since starting this way of eating and its on its way out already! I do have a concern though. I really do believe that my digestive system is connected with my acne. Since I haven't had a normal bowel movement in what seems like forever, I'm just waiting to breakout extremely bad. I'm sure thinking this way may bring it out more! What do any of you suggest to get the bowels moving? Natural supplements? Foods? I can't seem to get much soluble fiber while being on a low candida diet. .smh..

I eat lots of meat, extra virgin coconut oil and some veggies. I am currently taking probiotics, cod liver oil, milk thistle extract, and a prenatal. I made sure that none of these contain gluten, dairy, soy, yeast, etc.. might try those digestive enzymes for my digestion or some cascara segrada. I heard magnesium citrate could help. I'm still debating.

Just an example of how I ate. This was today:

Meal 1: pork chops, cabbage, carrots

Meal 2: same as meal 1

Meal 3: chicken breast, oregano, cabbage carrots

Meal 4: salmon and extra virgin coconut oil

Meal 5: lean ground beef, cabbage, carrots

Meal 6: same as meal 5.

I cook my foods In bulk and usually eat the same meal more than once everyday lol.. some days I get more than 4 tbsp of extra virgin coconut oil.

Like I said, I've stopped losing weight. i have been drinking some acv before each meal and using it as a toner in the nighttime only. After applying acv as a toner, i moisturize with jojoba oil. I also drink a lot of homemade ginger tea in the morning and in between meals as ive read that it helps with digestion. Regardless, my digestion still sucks. Its about every other day going back and forth between constipation and diarrhea. Anyone else experience this?

Chris kresser did an informative podcast on people with digestive issues saying they should eat more soluble fiber instead of insoluble fiber as it may irritate the gut. How does one get more soluble fiber on a low candida diet?

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 08/29/2013 11:10 pm

Just thought I'd update. My skin is still better than it has been in a while. I'm still taking all my supplements I mentioned and eating the same way. However, I think I might be deficient in magnesium and calcium, especially since I'm not eating many foods that contain these minerals. I just added 400 mg of magnesium glycinate and 250 mg of calcium. Im afraid to add more of either one at the moment. Ill keep an update. On the other hand, I continue to get compliments on my skin improving:)

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 08/30/2013 12:11 am

Great, glad you are seeing an improvement! As for deficiencies, I would say it's safer to actually get tested to see if you are low on magnesium and calcium because you do not want to take more than you need, especially calcium. I thought I was B12 deficient because I have anemia and I'm vegetarian, but every time I tried to supplement with it I broke out, so my doctor tested me and it turns out my levels are normal despite the fact that I never eat high B12 foods. So you never know, your levels could be fine and you may not need to supplement too much.

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 09/02/2013 10:57 pm

Sooo skins looking pretty good these past few days. However, I'm on a week long vacation from work. Ate out one night had steak, coconut shrimp and sweet potato. Steak had pepper seasoning and coconut shrimp had some flour. I'm curious to see if ill break out soon. I also stopped using the acv as a toner for a few days. Today, I had a smoothie that consisted of banana, blueberries, ice and splenda. I also had steak, eggs and hash browns for a meal a few days ago. I've just been enjoying myself. I only get a couple of weeks off during the year since I'm working and going to school, so I figured I'd enjoy it. Too bad if I do break out, I won't know why! Haha..sooo if I do breakout, it could be the egg, peppers, sweet potato, splenda, banana or me not using the acv..on another note, my bowel movements are nice and regular! ! I think this is because of the magnesium. ... Ill update in a week!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/03/2013 4:39 pm

My dog is.

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 09/05/2013 2:14 pm

My dog is.

What does that mean? Lol... and what are your thoughts on cod liver oil and flaxseed oil? I've been consuming 1 tsp of each everyday for the past couple of weeks. Am I getting too much of anything? Maybe I should rename this as , "Is anyone else doing a low carb diet? " :) Lol

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/05/2013 3:06 pm

My dog is.

What does that mean? Lol... and what are your thoughts on cod liver oil and flaxseed oil? I've been consuming 1 tsp of each everyday for the past couple of weeks. Am I getting too much of anything? Maybe I should rename this as , "Is anyone else doing a low carb diet? " smile.png Lol

I believe the dog has a systemic yeast infection caused by antibiotics and a weakened system due to a heartworms infection. He has had a yeast infection in his ear since I got him and is prone to hot spots which are yeast infections on the skin. And so I'm hoping to get rid of the overgrowth. He is eating grain free right now. Chicken hearts, which are only $.89 per pound, sweet potatoes, peas & greens. And he's getting a digestive enzyme complex with a super probiotic. And at bedtime when his stomach should be empty, I sprinkle some bromelain (digests fungal cell walls) into his bowl and then cover it with a teaspoon of coconut oil (anti-fungal) which he licks up. I have no idea if he's getting adequate amounts though. http://www.wellnessresources.com/studies/bromelain_demonstrates_anti-fungal_properties

Flax seed can help or hurt. You just have to try. But if your acne has changed for the worse since you began, consider quitting. The concern with cod liver oil is quality and getting too much preformed vitamin D.

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 09/05/2013 4:29 pm

My dog is.

What does that mean? Lol... and what are your thoughts on cod liver oil and flaxseed oil? I've been consuming 1 tsp of each everyday for the past couple of weeks. Am I getting too much of anything? Maybe I should rename this as , "Is anyone else doing a low carb diet? " smile.png Lol

I believe the dog has a systemic yeast infection caused by antibiotics and a weakened system due to a heartworms infection. He has had a yeast infection in his ear since I got him and is prone to hot spots which are yeast infections on the skin. And so I'm hoping to get rid of the overgrowth. He is eating grain free right now. Chicken hearts, which are only $.89 per pound, sweet potatoes, peas & greens. And he's getting a digestive enzyme complex with a super probiotic. And at bedtime when his stomach should be empty, I sprinkle some bromelain (digests fungal cell walls) into his bowl and then cover it with a teaspoon of coconut oil (anti-fungal) which he licks up. I have no idea if he's getting adequate amounts though. http://www.wellnessresources.com/studies/bromelain_demonstrates_anti-fungal_properties

Flax seed can help or hurt. You just have to try. But if your acne has changed for the worse since you began, consider quitting. The concern with cod liver oil is quality and getting too much preformed vitamin D.

Cod liver shouldn't be an issue for me then, I don't think. I only take 1 tsp a day and it has 4600 A and 460 D..

You mentioned mixing acv with green tea as a toner. Would the ratip be 1 part acv to 3 parts green tea? Can I save this in the bottle in the fridge or will it become rancid? Is it ok to use everyday? Thanks for replying! :)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/05/2013 7:46 pm

My dog is.

What does that mean? Lol... and what are your thoughts on cod liver oil and flaxseed oil? I've been consuming 1 tsp of each everyday for the past couple of weeks. Am I getting too much of anything? Maybe I should rename this as , "Is anyone else doing a low carb diet? " :) Lol

Cod liver shouldn't be an issue for me then, I don't think. I only take 1 tsp a day and it has 4600 A and 460 D..

You mentioned mixing acv with green tea as a toner. Would the ratip be 1 part acv to 3 parts green tea? Can I save this in the bottle in the fridge or will it become rancid? Is it ok to use everyday? Thanks for replying! :)

I've never refrigerated it. It keeps about a week. And yeah, that ratio should be fine, but it depends on how sensitive your skin is.

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 09/05/2013 7:50 pm

My dog is.

I've never refrigerated it. It keeps about a week. And yeah, that ratio should be fine, but it depends on how sensitive your skin is.

Do you have a link to your success story? Are you taking additional supplements?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/05/2013 9:48 pm

If you have candida, that is sometimes associated with leaky gut and other digestive issues. Meaning: the more supplements you take, the less they will benefit you because you are just overloading your liver and digestive system. Candida makes your body less able to absorb anything - even the good stuff. If you can take some supplements in powder form, that is better, especially while you heal. Digestive enzymes helped me a lot when I switched from the anti-candida to an anti-histamine diet (similar, but without too many nuts and tomatoes, which I discovered were one of my triggers), and I was able to absorb nutrients and supplements better.

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 09/07/2013 12:59 pm

Sooo.. as expected I broke out with three zits, one on my cheek, two along my Jawline. The one on my cheek is the worst. I went out last night for a friend's bday and had several shots of patron and ate some pho' without the noodles, then picked at my bfs plate, eating the meat only off of it that was covered in noodles...ill let you know what happens! Lol

If you have candida, that is sometimes associated with leaky gut and other digestive issues. Meaning: the more supplements you take, the less they will benefit you because you are just overloading your liver and digestive system. Candida makes your body less able to absorb anything - even the good stuff. If you can take some supplements in powder form, that is better, especially while you heal. Digestive enzymes helped me a lot when I switched from the anti-candida to an anti-histamine diet (similar, but without too many nuts and tomatoes, which I discovered were one of my triggers), and I was able to absorb nutrients and supplements better.

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 09/07/2013 1:19 pm

DIETS SUCK!! Haha I know you said you can't afford an allergy test but you should consider getting a full panel of tests to save your body such torment! You can make payments monthly (that's what I always have to do).

I also wonder what a dermatologist would do if you walked in their door and asked for help but demanded they didn't prescribe you any topicals or antibiotics..

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 09/07/2013 6:49 pm

DIETS SUCK!! Haha I know you said you can't afford an allergy test but you should consider getting a full panel of tests to save your body such torment! You can make payments monthly (that's what I always have to do).

I also wonder what a dermatologist would do if you walked in their door and asked for help but demanded they didn't prescribe you any topicals or antibiotics..

Where would I even go to get these tests done? What places would offer a payment plan? I currently don't have any insurance:/

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 09/08/2013 9:56 am

Where would I even go to get these tests done? What places would offer a payment plan? I currently don't have any insurance:/

Ooh, that is a tough spot to be in. Especially with all this new healthcare stuff. By January everyone must have insurance, and without any it would cost a pretty penny. There's no harm in trying though, call and see!

With my insurance I just wait for the bill to come and pay what I can (by phone) and tell them I will pay what I can until it is all paid off. Or with bigger establishments they can set you up for a fixed monthly amount to pay. I have never had anything get reported to the credit bureaus, which to me is all that really matters.. that and living within my means.