Notifications
Clear all

Easing Into A Higher Dose Of Accutane? Any Experiences?

MemberMember
(@fahn)

Posted : 08/10/2013 8:38 pm

Hey all! I have decided to make an account and contribute to this community since I have heavily relied on this site for support. I am currently 3 weeks and 3 days into my accutane treatment (30mg/day). So far, the only side effects I am experiencing are dry skin and lips...but totally manageable. I went to my doctor today to get another month's worth of accutane and she bumped me up to 50mg/day, which is 1mg/kg for my weight. I had an initial breakout 2 weeks in...it was pretty bad but not TERRIBLE from what i usually get. I am still breaking out but it seems like there's less active pimples and the one's left are drying out faster than usual. My question is, have any of you eased into the higher dosage by taking the lower dose one day (in my case, 30mg), and then alternating between the higher dose the next day? Obviously, eventually I want to be on 50mg/day, but for now i'm thinking about alternating between 30mg and 50mg. I really REALLy want to avoid another bad breakout and sudden changes in the intensity of side effects. What do you think? Any experiences?

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/10/2013 9:16 pm

I would just go straight to 50mg/day, so you reach your ideal cumulative dose (120-150mg/kg) more quickly and can finish your course ASAP. The only reason I would limit/reduce my dose is because of side effects (not because of initial/dose-related breakouts).

Accutane is going to suck while you're on it no matter what, if only because of annoying side effects. So you may as well finish your course as quickly as possible. Remember, you will be clear by the end of your course.

Good luck

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 08/10/2013 9:25 pm

Honestly my first course I started with 70 mg. I would just start the 50.

MemberMember
(@jackiechan24)

Posted : 08/11/2013 9:43 am

Start the 50. If you've already had an initial breakout, chances are you won't get another just because of the bump up.

MemberMember
(@fahn)

Posted : 08/13/2013 1:05 pm

Thanks so much for your input everyone! I was kinda scared to go straight to 50mg right away but i guess getting through this sh** ASAP is better than taking it slow. MUCH APPRECIATED :)

MemberMember
(@ls206816)

Posted : 08/13/2013 3:02 pm

Yeah I would just start on the 50mg. My derm started me on 10mg the first month, 20mg the second and so on until I got to 80mg and now I'm working my way down and I'm on 60mg currently. Its honestly the biggest annoyance and my acne took forever to clear up. Also I'm on my 7th month right now and who knows how many more I will be on!

MemberMember
(@fahn)

Posted : 08/14/2013 11:57 pm

Follow my accutane log! Any suggestions, comments, and encouragement are welcome :)

Yeah I would just start on the 50mg. My derm started me on 10mg the first month, 20mg the second and so on until I got to 80mg and now I'm working my way down and I'm on 60mg currently. Its honestly the biggest annoyance and my acne took forever to clear up. Also I'm on my 7th month right now and who knows how many more I will be on!