Notifications
Clear all

Depressed Beyond Belief

MemberMember
(@jsm1894)

Posted : 08/10/2013 2:51 pm

I can't even begin to explain how depressed I am. In one year I've went from a 18 year old without a blemish on his face to a 19 year old with red marks, scars, and active acne. All I used to do was hang out with my friends, go to parties, and workout at the gym. Now I don't even leave my house. You know that feeling when everyone is looking at your face when they talk to you instead of in your eyes. My second year of college is coming up and I don't even want to go back. I used to want to be a doctor, now all I want more than anything is for things to go back to how they were. No one in my family understands. I can truly say I hate my life.

MemberMember
(@iconzz)

Posted : 08/10/2013 3:09 pm

hey i feel d same... i think i wud b a diff person if i had no acne,,,.. after suffering for 10 years,,, i think kno somthing bout it plus m a medico.... gentle skin care regimen, no picking, sleeping on ur bac,,, foods with vit e,a and c, zinc rich foods, a good n8 sleep on ur BAC.... n stay with friends... the more if u stay alone the more u will b worried , more chances of looking in the mirror,pop them, using internet to look for new products trying them... so go out now.... njoy lyf.... u will surely see an improvement...

MemberMember
(@drowningophelia)

Posted : 08/10/2013 7:44 pm

I know the feeling all too well. I had family over last night and actually said I was sick because I was so embarrassed showing my face. I missed out on having a fun night with family because of my insecurities. Right now I want to hide in bed all day. I want to sleep until I wake up with clear skin again.

It's my partner's work party tonight. I'm friends with all of his colleagues and they want me to come, so I am going to have to just get up and go. I am scared I will look ugly and embarrass my partner, I am scared people will notice and judge me, but I have to do this because I have already missed out on many things because of my face. It's hard, and i know exactly how you feel. It's hard when you can't escape from mirrors. I wish I could just not care about what people think!

Don't lose hope. It is so easy to, but there are people out there who understand.

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 08/11/2013 2:40 am

I never did much my entire life, but I keep it rolling one way or another. Just hope for the best man. Ps: parents are just the worst, they really don't care and think everything is fine, when it clearly isn't. Makes me furious. I had to cry in front of my mom to prove to her that acne was hurting me so much, just to get her to sign my accutane slip and I'm a 19 year old male weight lifter. God life is messed up...

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/13/2013 10:07 pm

I can't even begin to explain how depressed I am. In one year I've went from a 18 year old without a blemish on his face to a 19 year old with red marks, scars, and active acne. All I used to do was hang out with my friends, go to parties, and workout at the gym. Now I don't even leave my house. You know that feeling when everyone is looking at your face when they talk to you instead of in your eyes. My second year of college is coming up and I don't even want to go back. I used to want to be a doctor, now all I want more than anything is for things to go back to how they were. No one in my family understands. I can truly say I hate my life.

Hey there... I know what you're going through right now. I am in a very similar position as you. I went from being a spot free 16 year old to an 18 year old girl with acne. It's honestly one of the most difficult things that I have experienced in my life. Not only that, but trying to find a way to cope is probably what makes it all the MORE difficult. It seems like you feel how I feel. That all your previous ambitions are now meaningless and all your attention is spent on your face/skin. I would do anything to attain clear skin. I can promise you that this is not a mindset that's worth staying in.

I've been to all the doctors, I've started all sorts of treatments, I changed my diet, started a strict vitamin regimen, monitor how long I stay outside... My acne rules my life. It's the most horrible feeling in the world. I barely leave my house, my family and friends feel helpless, and I myself don't know what to do. So, I got help. I am lucky enough to have a great support system who provides me with the care I need. (i.e. psychiatrist, therapist, etc) I'm trying to learn and accept that I have very little control over this issue.

You can only do the best you can do, in regards to your skin. I'm doing everything I should, but it's still not good enough. What I can do better is embrace the other aspects of my life. That's where I've tried to turn my attention to. My friends, my jobs, my boyfriend, my hobbies... just being a functional, effective human being. Most days are bad, but for every few hours I attain normalcy, I can celebrate a triumph. Those are the things that we have control over. Why linger over the one thing that we don't?

I know I sound very optimistic, but I understand you're struggle. I'm living it too. I am being rational in this moment and telling you deserve to have a happy life. You're not alone in all of this, many people on here including me fight this battle everyday. I hope you feel better soon... Xo

MemberMember
(@godlovesme)

Posted : 08/13/2013 10:39 pm

I really sympathize with you because I'm going through very similar things. My acne started when I was 16 and has been steadily terrible for the last 2 years. I'm going to start college in 3 days and it's a scary thought. I want to be a doctor as well and I'm just another person here to tell you not to give up. It's difficult not to give importance to it but try for yourself to do it. Don't waste these amazing years ahead of you, live your life, and one day you will see that you don't need clear skin to be happy. As cheesy and repetitive as it sounds, life is what you make of it. Everyone has flaws they hate about themselves and although we may not see them right away they are there and very few people at this age are truly 100% confident. What I'm trying to say is that everyone suffers from something and you are not alone. Only God knows the plans He has for you and the blessing you'll give to others as a doctor, give yourself that opportunity. Find confidence in yourself, because I'm telling you, if you don't do it now it's really difficult to regain it later when your skin is clear. People will look at you, that's normal. They may not do it to offend you but it simply attracts them. Don't let this simple thing keep you from the things you want to do, YOU WILL REGRET IT. Once you've wasted years and years of life being someone you are not you'll hate yourself way more for not living, living no matter what is going on. Even if people look at you, no one really care what's on your face when you go your separate way, but YOU are the one wasting your life away caring what others think of you. Those that look at you or say something, they are only wasting a minute of their lives and then moving on, please don't let a minute throw away years for you.

What type of acne do you have? I have cystic-moderate and I've found so much relief in the past month from grape seed oil. Most of my active acne is gone and about 40% of my hyper pigmentation is reduced. It's helped a lot, you might want to try it out, it may just work for you.

Depression is all in your mind. Take control, get out there and change your mindset, no one will care; go out with your friends and do what you like to do. Guys don't care if you have acne, most of them have had it too, and no girl will ignore you because of acne, trust me. Everyone has had acne or an insecurity that makes them miserable in their life. Something that helps me out is to think that people are genuinely nice and kind, sounds over positive but I've judged people by what I thought they were so many times and they always manage to surprise me, so don't lose hope people will still be there for you even if you have acne and marks and the whole deal.

Really wish you the best, you're gonna get through this smile.png

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 08/18/2013 2:15 am

Ever hear of a dermatologist? I have to roll my eyes at this sorry. You have a treatable garden variety skin condition **Acne** that could be managed with a course of antibiotics and a topical not a terminal untreatable illness. Just go to a dermatologist and discuss a treatment regimen if you haven't had luck with over the counter products that is.

MemberMember
(@jsm1894)

Posted : 08/18/2013 5:03 pm

Ever hear of a dermatologist? I have to roll my eyes at this sorry. You have a treatable garden variety skin condition **Acne** that could be managed with a course of antibiotics and a topical not a terminal untreatable illness. Just go to a dermatologist and discuss a treatment regimen if you haven't had luck with over the counter products that is.

Yea I have. I've been to 3 and been on countless number of prescription meds/ointments. So how about you ask before you assume, asshole.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 08/18/2013 7:00 pm

Yea I have. I've been to 3 and been on countless number of prescription meds/ointments. So how about you ask before you assume, asshole.

lol Sorry, I thought you were one of these people that hadn't yet gone to a dermatologist and was just moaning about nothing. You have to understand there are LOADS of people that post goofy messages on this board like "Proactiv didn't work for my acne! I'm doomed, nothing is ever going to work" and other stuff to that effect.

Aww that's too bad... Have you thought about Accutane yet? at a low dose there isn't that many side effects.

MemberMember
(@mxkn)

Posted : 08/20/2013 6:00 pm

Youll be fine man, acne hit you at an older age than me. I started to breakout at the age of 14 and it was hell, there is a huge mentality difference from someone that age to someone who is 18 ,so if i could go through that you most certainly can. I know it doesnt seem to help at all but it will stop, i hope youve tried accutane that's the drug that finally did it for me after years of trying. When i was in your situation it was hell, i was picked on consistently since at that age young teenagers are very insensitive ... to them the slightest imperfection is something good to take a shot at making fun of. I would sometimes go to sleep crying depressed and hopeless i missed out on everything, didn't think any girl would find me attractive, so every day seemed more like torture than anything else. Now after two courses of accutane I can say im happy with the way i look, yeah i get a tiny whitehead now and then but nothing compared to before. Its all up to you wether you let it keep you down or fight it and try keep a positive mindset that way it will all pass by a lot faster. Goodluck with your battle mate , dont give up!

MemberMember
(@lugo)

Posted : 08/20/2013 6:33 pm

just ignore what others may think of your acne, if they are your true friends then they will not care how you look and still chill out with you and look after you.

get back in the gym because thats one place where you dont need to talk to anyone and just get on with your self and you'll feel really energized .

MemberMember
(@superyew)

Posted : 08/21/2013 11:14 pm

Dont care what the mods say, watch that video. It will do wonders for your life and give you the confidence. Watch some of the other videos aswell on the side.

Dont judge the title of the video! Watch it!

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/21/2013 11:50 pm

Dont care what the mods say, watch that video. It will do wonders for your life and give you the confidence. Watch some of the other videos aswell on the side.

Dont judge the title of the video! Watch it!

This video actually made a lot of sense to me. Although I'm not a religious person, I appreciated and understood the meaning behind what he was saying. It's all about the Law of Attraction.

MemberMember
(@jsm1894)

Posted : 08/22/2013 12:58 pm

How do I go about getting prescribed accutane in the US? Isn't it banned?

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/22/2013 5:12 pm

Accutane was not banned. Roche (its maker) voluntarily took it off the market in the US in 2009 because their market share was insufficient to maintain profits after the generics were introduced in 2002. The original Accutane made my Roche is still available in other countries, e.g. Australia.

There are plenty of generic versions of Accutane/isotretinoin still available in the US, e.g. Claravis, Amnesteem, Absorbica

Good luck

MemberMember
(@lindsey4546)

Posted : 08/23/2013 1:40 am

JordanM, I would definitely get on accutane if I were you (and certainly if nothing else is working). I totally understand your depression/anxiety cuz I suffered with acne 'til age 23 when I got on birth control. Acne can definitely ruin your social life and self esteem, but your ray of hope is going to be accutane. I would suggest you have an open, honest discussion with your parents and tell them how this skin disease is effecting your life, your self esteem, and your self worth. Tell them that they may think your acne is not that bad or not that big of a deal but it is to you! It's a huge deal to you! Tell them that acne is causing you to become antisocial and depressed. And talk to them about getting on accutane. Show your parents WebMD's webpage on accutane and its usage and side effects and what to expect. Then talk to your dermatologist about it. I think this is your best bet! Good luck and I will be praying for your depression and that you get the courage to talk openly with ur family about your issues.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/23/2013 6:50 pm

Accutane was not banned. Roche (its maker) voluntarily took it off the market in the US in 2009 because their market share was insufficient to maintain profits after the generics were introduced in 2002. The original Accutane made my Roche is still available in other countries, e.g. Australia.

There are plenty of generic versions of Accutane/isotretinoin still available in the US, e.g. Claravis, Amnesteem, Absorbica

Good luck

Is La Roche Posay that company that makes Accutane? Or, is it another company called Roche?

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/23/2013 6:55 pm

They are different companies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoffmann-La_Roche