Notifications
Clear all

Scalp Itching From Accutane

MemberMember
(@activemama2)

Posted : 08/10/2013 1:39 am

Hi all. Well, my son is on day 6 of Accutane, 40 mg and he has started to get an extremely itchy scalp as well as the dry lips. Just wondering if anyone experienced the scalp itching and what we can do. I read that this is not dandruff, it's dry scalp so you really shouldn't use a medicated dandruff shampoo, as this would dry his scalp out more. It is after midnight and he can't sleep because his scalp is itching so badly. I gave him an antihistamine hoping it would help the itch and allow him to sleep. Poor guy!

Any advice would be appreciated as well as letting us know how long this lasts. I hope it's not for the entire time!

Thanks again! rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 08/11/2013 10:10 am

Hi all. Well, my son is on day 6 of Accutane, 40 mg and he has started to get an extremely itchy scalp as well as the dry lips. Just wondering if anyone experienced the scalp itching and what we can do. I read that this is not dandruff, it's dry scalp so you really shouldn't use a medicated dandruff shampoo, as this would dry his scalp out more. It is after midnight and he can't sleep because his scalp is itching so badly. I gave him an antihistamine hoping it would help the itch and allow him to sleep. Poor guy!

Any advice would be appreciated as well as letting us know how long this lasts. I hope it's not for the entire time!

Hey,

I had this to begin with, it usually subsides and you'll find some other bizzare side effects can occur but are usually temporary. I have also been prescribed by my derm some special shampoo which I only apply once weekly and it seems to keep any itchyness completely at bay. Its called 'Nizoral 2% shampoo', usually used for treatment of bad dandruff or eczema etc.

Please feel free to browse my profile for my story and/or send me a message if I can help you with any queries etc.

All the best

Rob

MemberMember
(@activemama2)

Posted : 08/11/2013 1:49 pm

Hey,

I had this to begin with, it usually subsides and you'll find some other bizzare side effects can occur but are usually temporary. I have also been prescribed by my derm some special shampoo which I only apply once weekly and it seems to keep any itchyness completely at bay. Its called 'Nizoral 2% shampoo', usually used for treatment of bad dandruff or eczema etc.

Please feel free to browse my profile for my story and/or send me a message if I can help you with any queries etc.

All the best

Rob

Thanks Rob. I resorted to rubbing Olive oil in his scalp that night because we had nothing else. Between that and the antihistamine, he was able to fall asleep. It hasn't bothered him since then. Strange. I am having him use my moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and I've also read that Jojoba oil massaged into the scalp helps a lot and is not greasy.

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 08/11/2013 7:20 pm

I had a dry, flaky scalp in the beginning but it passed fairly quickly. I used a thick, moisturizing conditioner with a few drops of jojoba oil and it helped a lot. I actually used that throughout my course and my hair looked/felt a lot more healthy. I also cut back on how often I was washing my hair and that helped.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/11/2013 11:51 pm

Lots of guys on accutane use tgel from neutrogena for itchy scalp. Not for dandruff even though they are dandruff shampoos. If you were to bring him into his derm and complain about the itchy scalp they would either write you a script for some special dandruff shampoo. Or recommend you picked up selsun blue or head and shoulders.

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 08/12/2013 5:28 am

Hey,

All the best

Rob

Thanks Rob. I resorted to rubbing Olive oil in his scalp that night because we had nothing else. Between that and the antihistamine, he was able to fall asleep. It hasn't bothered him since then. Strange. I am having him use my moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and I've also read that Jojoba oil massaged into the scalp helps a lot and is not greasy.

Thats great you have managed to resolve the issue. Hope the rest of the treatment goes smoothly for him.

Best wishes

Rob

MemberMember
(@activemama2)

Posted : 08/12/2013 3:12 pm

Hey,

All the best

Rob

Thats great you have managed to resolve the issue. Hope the rest of the treatment goes smoothly for him.

Best wishes

Rob

So it looks like I spoke too soon. He was having the crazy itching again last night and now dry skin flakes. I am going to get him a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner today and will call his doc as well. I'm sure this is just part of the Accutane roller coaster of symptoms. I feel bad for him since we have a long way to go.

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 08/12/2013 3:24 pm

Hey,

All the best

Rob

Best wishes

Rob

So it looks like I spoke too soon. He was having the crazy itching again last night and now dry skin flakes. I am going to get him a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner today and will call his doc as well. I'm sure this is just part of the Accutane roller coaster of symptoms. I feel bad for him since we have a long way to go.

Its a common side effect that usually dissipates after a couple of weeks or so. I'm on my 4th course now and I think I recall having that side effect on two of them. It's a strange drug in regards to some of the side effects it can produce, that seemigly afflict without warning but then can disapear as randomly as they appeared. Stay determined and don't deviate from the treatment, it will put your son into remission. It's great he has an understanding and supportive mum to help him do this.

Best of luck to you both

Rob