Does Bp Lose Its Ef...

Notifications
Clear all

Does Bp Lose Its Effect?

MemberMember
(@ukdreamin)

Posted : 08/08/2013 4:24 pm

Hi all, I've been reading these forums for quite some time now trying to decide whether or not to give the Regimen a shot or to go back to my derm and dreadfully ask for accutane. I've been using Retin-A and Clindoxyl gel (1% clindamycin and 5% BP) for around 3 years which had been working well for me, but these past 3-4 months my skin has taken a turn for the worst. I was fairly clear (never 100%) for about a year and a half but now my acne has gotten to the point where I don't want to leave the house (5-6 cysts, some raised, some under the skin - all PAINFUL)... there is not one moment where I don't have a deep cyst on my face... constant breaking out :(. Has my skin just become immune to the topicals?... I guess what I really want to know is:

Will the 2.5% BP used in the regimen even have an effect on my skin, when I've been using a topical that contains 5% BP for nearly 3 years?

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 08/08/2013 4:55 pm

For me- BP has not lost it's effect. I've been using the 2.5% for about 10 years now. Before that in my early 20s I was using the 5%. My skin didn't tolerate that well though, it was irritated and inflamed. I think it was just too much for my sensitive skin. A thin layer of the 2.5 is perfect for me and it keeps nearly acne free. (I'm really on this site because I have oily skin)

If I don't use the bp though....my skin erupts in all kinds of acne. It's awful. I truly believe though that our skin and hair and insides can become immune to just about anything, but luckily bp is still my savior.

I have had a few cysts lately which is a little annoying because I normally don't get them. BC has never given me skin issues, but I'm wondering if the depo provera that I'm on now might be affecting me a bit. Though, I recently went through some pretty stressful times and I wasn't sleeping very much and I think that's more the cause.

Some options to reduce the swelling of the cysts- Icing. Read Cbiot13 post about it. It actually works pretty well. They are still there for 3-5 days, but it really does reduce the redness. Also, I've been using a cotton round soaked with TN Dickinson's witch hazel. It's the kind in the clear bottle with the blue label. I use it like a compress after I wash my face and my cysts become flat more quickly. Soaking a washcloth with hot water and just gently pressing it against them helps as well.

I think giving the regimen is definitely worth a shot. For me personally, I cannot use any cleansers that suds up. I know that seems silly, but I've tried dozens and my number one cleanser is still Neutrogena's Deep clean cream cleanser. No residue, skin feels clean after rinsing very well. Bubbles, even sensitive bubbling cleansers make my face too tight, to the point where i get those lines from it being so dry (which is weird since I have INSANELY oily skin). Just some food for thought, but I think giving the regimen a shot is a great idea. Though it's not for me, there are so many people on here that saved their skin by doing it.

Main thing- stay positive and let your skin breathe here and there, go make up free (if you normally wear it). Sit in the sun for 10 minutes and soak up some vitamin D. I just recently started doing that and I'm seeing overall improvement in tone. I'm a psycho about using a sunscreen, have been since I was 20 and I have no wrinkles or leathery skin, but I know that I need to get a little bit of sun here and there, so I'm trying.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 08/08/2013 4:56 pm

Does BP it lose its effectiveness? no, thats impossible - its not an antibiotic, the bacteria cant become 'immune', it oxygenizes your pores so that bacteria cant thrive in your skin. The only way it could lose its effectiveness further down the line is if you become allergic to it.

I think the regimen would be great for you, what youre using now sounds really irritating, the whole point of the regimen is to completely minimize any irritation. But you need to stay really really strict to the regimen for it to work. It can be hard at first (as hard as putting acne creams on can be) but eventually you get into the routine of it and you dont even think about it. I'd give it a go but do it properly, follow every rule smile.png

I used 10% and 5% BP for months without success, because it irritated my skin sooo much. The regimen does, at first, but doing it correctly allows your skin to become accustomed to it and get back to normal.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/08/2013 8:44 pm

Yes, your skin becomes adapted to BP after three months and it does completely lose it's effectiveness. I have been told this by my esthetician and two dermatologists. It is a great agent to help in the very short term, but eventually you'll be back where you started or worse. It's also horrible for sensitive skin, like my own. Plus, it stains everything that it gets on, so imagine what that's doing to your skin. Ew.

I find salicylic acid washes/lotions are much gentler and just as effective. I also hear SA is a good chemical for anti-aging! Better to start early than not at all I suppose haha :)

MemberMember
(@realme2008)

Posted : 08/12/2013 12:22 am

Yes, your skin becomes adapted to BP after three months and it does completely lose it's effectiveness. I have been told this by my esthetician and two dermatologists. It is a great agent to help in the very short term, but eventually you'll be back where you started or worse. It's also horrible for sensitive skin, like my own. Plus, it stains everything that it gets on, so imagine what that's doing to your skin. Ew.

I find salicylic acid washes/lotions are much gentler and just as effective. I also hear SA is a good chemical for anti-aging! Better to start early than not at all I suppose haha smile.png

Your esthetician and dermatologist should get slapped for lying to you because clearly they are trying to collect money from you. I've been using benozyl peroxide for 8 years +, and it has not lost any of it's effectiveness.

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 08/12/2013 12:27 am

Just as circumambient has explained, it is impossible for your acne to become immune to BP.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/12/2013 11:29 am

I find salicylic acid washes/lotions are much gentler and just as effective. I also hear SA is a good chemical for anti-aging! Better to start early than not at all I suppose haha smile.png

Your esthetician and dermatologist should get slapped for lying to you because clearly they are trying to collect money from you. I've been using benozyl peroxide for 8 years +, and it has not lost any of it's effectiveness.

:( Well that's not good. I mean it doesn't make a difference in my treatment because my face can't tolerate BP, but I certainly do not want to pass on false information... I'm going to talk to my dermatologist next time I see her and discuss why she said that. It seems odd that she would lie to me, but I would definitely like to hear the whole story on the subject. Maybe she meant your skin adjusts and you have to just keep upping the amount you use?

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 08/12/2013 5:34 pm

While I agree completely, that bp won't lose it's effectiveness, (been over 15 years for me and it's still the ONLY thing that keeps me acne free), I have to say that I've heard from my friends that used proactiv (which I think has bp as an ingredient in maybe two of it's products, don't quote me on that) that it stopped working for them. That might be how this rumor got started. There must be something else in it that stops working after a bit maybe? Who knows, but it is disappointing that your derms said this to you. For me, I'm kind of done with derms. Some of the things they gave me caused such awful acne and reactions. (I have very sensitive/allergy prone/acne prone/oily/combination skin-nightmare!)

As for upping the amount, I wonder about this too, though I had to go down from 5% to 2.5%. the 5 was just too much but a thin layer of 2.5 after i use a moisturizer is perfect. I tried the SA, and it was nice and gentle, but just didn't kill the acne for me. :(

I just researched whether or not you have to continue upping the dosage and from what I'm reading, it sounds like there is an adjustment period, but i can't find much info as to why or if there is a need to increase. Bp has two functions to get rid of acne, the oxidation and the anti-inflammatory. Since it's not an antibiotic cream, there shouldn't be a "resistance" factor but maybe it's just as simple as: mild acne-less bp. severe acne- stronger bp.

Can anyone else help out with explaining this? I don't know if I'm interpreting this correctly...

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 08/12/2013 7:40 pm

I would say there are many factors involved when people report that BP (including proactive) has stopped working. I know from personal experience that after a while when following the regimen, I became a little bit more relaxed about following the steps and occasionally added additional steps (like exfoliating). All this led to me starting to break out again. It wasn't because my skin became immune to BP, it was because I had stopped following precisely the regimen that was working for me.

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 08/12/2013 8:58 pm

Agreed. Deviating from your routine is never a good idea.

For me when i was younger, it was the "overkill" thing. Since something worked, i did more, applied more, washed for longer, used more bp...what a mistake. Once I simplified, my face was happy again.

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 08/12/2013 9:20 pm

Agreed. Deviating from your routine is never a good idea.

For me when i was younger, it was the "overkill" thing. Since something worked, i did more, applied more, washed for longer, used more bp...what a mistake. Once I simplified, my face was happy again.

I'm a great fan of the "when too much is never enough" approach. It rarely works but it doesn't stop me from trying. Oh wait, cake. It works with cake.

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 08/12/2013 9:27 pm

Looks like I know what I'm doing after work tonight. Makin' a lovely box cake. Dang it!

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/13/2013 3:38 pm

While I agree completely, that bp won't lose it's effectiveness, (been over 15 years for me and it's still the ONLY thing that keeps me acne free), I have to say that I've heard from my friends that used proactiv (which I think has bp as an ingredient in maybe two of it's products, don't quote me on that) that it stopped working for them. That might be how this rumor got started. There must be something else in it that stops working after a bit maybe? Who knows, but it is disappointing that your derms said this to you. For me, I'm kind of done with derms. Some of the things they gave me caused such awful acne and reactions. (I have very sensitive/allergy prone/acne prone/oily/combination skin-nightmare!)

As for upping the amount, I wonder about this too, though I had to go down from 5% to 2.5%. the 5 was just too much but a thin layer of 2.5 after i use a moisturizer is perfect. I tried the SA, and it was nice and gentle, but just didn't kill the acne for me. sad.png

I just researched whether or not you have to continue upping the dosage and from what I'm reading, it sounds like there is an adjustment period, but i can't find much info as to why or if there is a need to increase. Bp has two functions to get rid of acne, the oxidation and the anti-inflammatory. Since it's not an antibiotic cream, there shouldn't be a "resistance" factor but maybe it's just as simple as: mild acne-less bp. severe acne- stronger bp.

Can anyone else help out with explaining this? I don't know if I'm interpreting this correctly...

Grrr I'm so annoyed by these doctors. They're the one's that are "supposed" to know what's going on! I am using Avar E right now which is a topical antibiotic... it's only been two weeks but after a period of time will the bacteria become resistant? It's a sulfone drug, similar as to if i were take Setpra DS without the health consequences but obviously not as effective. Will I need to just use more after time or will I eventually need to switch up my regimen?

So frustrating that BP aggravates my skin to no end... it seems so effective for many people.

MemberMember
(@stiffler)

Posted : 08/13/2013 4:09 pm

Not to my knowledge.

MemberMember
(@acneisacurse)

Posted : 08/13/2013 6:48 pm

Dan has been using benzoyl peroxide for 20 years, so I'm pretty sure for the most people it doesn't lose its effectiveness. :)

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 08/13/2013 8:08 pm

As for upping the amount, I wonder about this too, though I had to go down from 5% to 2.5%. the 5 was just too much but a thin layer of 2.5 after i use a moisturizer is perfect. I tried the SA, and it was nice and gentle, but just didn't kill the acne for me. sad.png

Grrr I'm so annoyed by these doctors. They're the one's that are "supposed" to know what's going on! I am using Avar E right now which is a topical antibiotic... it's only been two weeks but after a period of time will the bacteria become resistant? It's a sulfone drug, similar as to if i were take Setpra DS without the health consequences but obviously not as effective. Will I need to just use more after time or will I eventually need to switch up my regimen?

So frustrating that BP aggravates my skin to no end... it seems so effective for many people.

I know! I went to the derms a few years ago to get some help with hyperpigmentation and scars. I explained very carefully about how tricky my skin is and they treated me like they knew my skin better than I did (which at the time I trusted that they did...they are doctors...) but they gave me Aczone and Finacea. Within a week I had so many cysts on my face, I had what felt like hives that were itchy and inflamed. THEN came more scars and more discoloration. Two of the spots took over a year to go away. I took pictures monthly to prove to them what a disaster it made. I know they can't predict allergic reactions, but that was the reason why I tried to explain what happens to me. I just wish they would have listened and talked with me a little more. So I hear ya, it's very disappointing to find out that some, not all, derms just are operating on old or bad information.

As for your antibiotic cream, I can't imagine they want you on that long term and I would assume that they would take you off of it before any immunity issues arise. Just like pill form, they need to use a dose high enough to kill the infection but not do too many rounds of it. Can they at least tell you why you're getting infections that require the antibiotic cream? Of course all acne is bacterial, but what is making yours more severe?

It is definitely too bad about the bp for you. I'm not sure what it does to your skin, but for me since mine is SOOOO sensitive, I apply my moisturizer before a very thin layer of bp. That's really the only way it won't cause any redness or dryness. It does sound like bp just isn't going to work for you though. :(

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/13/2013 8:26 pm

I know! I went to the derms a few years ago to get some help with hyperpigmentation and scars. I explained very carefully about how tricky my skin is and they treated me like they knew my skin better than I did (which at the time I trusted that they did...they are doctors...) but they gave me Aczone and Finacea. Within a week I had so many cysts on my face, I had what felt like hives that were itchy and inflamed. THEN came more scars and more discoloration. Two of the spots took over a year to go away. I took pictures monthly to prove to them what a disaster it made. I know they can't predict allergic reactions, but that was the reason why I tried to explain what happens to me. I just wish they would have listened and talked with me a little more. So I hear ya, it's very disappointing to find out that some, not all, derms just are operating on old or bad information.

As for your antibiotic cream, I can't imagine they want you on that long term and I would assume that they would take you off of it before any immunity issues arise. Just like pill form, they need to use a dose high enough to kill the infection but not do too many rounds of it. Can they at least tell you why you're getting infections that require the antibiotic cream? Of course all acne is bacterial, but what is making yours more severe?

It is definitely too bad about the bp for you. I'm not sure what it does to your skin, but for me since mine is SOOOO sensitive, I apply my moisturizer before a very thin layer of bp. That's really the only way it won't cause any redness or dryness. It does sound like bp just isn't going to work for you though. sad.png

The Avar E antibiotic cream has sulfur in it, which is an acne treatment in itself. It's not that my acne is severe, it's mild and persistent. I'm using that as well as Aczone because those are the most gentle prescription treatments. Basically anything stronger than that will cause me to have an extreme adverse reaction. I can't even change laundry detergents because I'll break out in hives on my cheeks. I mean, I know some people stay on antibiotics, for their acne, for years and some eventually build up an immunity. I'm wondering if that will be the case with me.

Has anyone ever used a topical antibiotic for their acne? And if so, how long did you use them for? Were they effective? I'm one month into Aczone and 2 weeks into Avar E and unfortunately am not seeing the results I want/need... so frustrating :(

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 08/14/2013 2:10 am

Ah ok. Well im glad its not severe but i can emphasize with the persistence. Mom warned me of the skin changes that i would face through out highschool, my 20s and now my 30s. Short lived phases but frustrating nonetheless. Getting older sucks. :(

I hope you find something that works. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/14/2013 12:30 pm

Ah ok. Well im glad its not severe but i can emphasize with the persistence. Mom warned me of the skin changes that i would face through out highschool, my 20s and now my 30s. Short lived phases but frustrating nonetheless. Getting older sucks. sad.png

I hope you find something that works. Good luck!

Seems like I have some interesting things to look forward too haha Oh well, Keep on keeping on, and all that I suppose. Thank you for the responses! :)