Roaccutane Log

MemberMember
(@chickbree123)

Posted : 08/08/2013 8:14 am

I've decided to make a log to help track my progress whilst being on roaccutane.

I'm a 23 year old women who has suffered from mild persistent acne since I was 16 years old. The cause of my acne was originally an allergic reaction to a fabric put on my jaw post jaw operation. The cycle began and I haven't seemed to be able to break it since.

I have gone several months on and off of having the most clear skin only to wake up with 3 huge pimples staring back at me. It's frustrating, upsetting and trying to find the root of the cause has been an expensive journey.

Originally I saw a dermatologist at age 16 when my mother became worried about my self conscious and attitude towards my skin since it began breaking out. They recommended roaccutane, to which my mother quickly attacked the dermatologist for even suggesting it. They later suggested the 'pill' but once again my mum claimed that was unnecessary. I was put on tropical treatment and switched to using cetaphil face wash and moisturiser.

Needless to say that my acne did begin to clear up (not completely) but the unsightly pimples on my jaw began to fade. By 17/18 I was attending school wearing either no make-up or tinted moisturiser! I was cured....I thought.

I started using the contraception pill and they pimples began to return. This left the doctors very confused as I was on Diane, which was mean't to assist acne. The pimples were never horrendous, just annoying. I would pick at them and make them worse, so the process continued. I began developing small cyst pimples that would appear out of nowhere (only 1) and take forever to disappear. I picked the first one I received, not knowing what it was! I am now left with a huge scar because of it.

I started talking with doctors further about medications as I was put on Kelfex for a UTI and it cleared up my acne completely in the process. Unfortunately I became resistant to the medication and almost all the antibiotics had little to no affect on me. I was clear, but then had bad weeks...so really, nothing had changed.

With my wedding end of November I had enough and sought the advise of a well known dermatologist here. He took one look and recommended roaccutane. I, like my mother, questioned why he would do such a thing. I only had 2 pimples at the time and they weren't anything bad. He said "well...you have tried everything else. You have what we call persistent adult acne, if you want to get rid of them then this your best hope!" I have heard the horror stories, I know the side effects and I wasn't keen! I originally threw the blood test in a draw and forgot about it. 2 weeks later I developed 2 cystic pimples out of nowhere and I began questioning it. What if this occurred on my wedding day?

I bit the bullet and went and got the blood test, then the script and then the drug.

My aim is to have clear skin by my wedding, which would be the most amazing thing ever! My biggest concern is getting stress related pimples and I would just be so upset.

DAY 1:

No different and didn't expect anything to change. My cystic pimples are shrinking, but that was occurring prior to begin treatment.

I do have slightly drier skin on my hands, but I don't think thats related to the drug as of yet.

MemberMember
(@chickbree123)

Posted : 08/08/2013 7:01 pm

DAY 2: No dry skin, nothing. No new pimples have come either. But it is day 2 and this could just be a good patch for my skin!

MemberMember
(@chickbree123)

Posted : 08/10/2013 6:12 am

DAY 3:

Oh gosh. Dry nose, dry lips, dry eyes....My lips are hot from being so dry.

What do people use to help moisturiser?

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/10/2013 6:39 am

Is your acne associated with oily skin?

Cetaphil is a good moisturiser

product_moisturizercream.png

Hope you are clear by your wedding day

Good luck

MemberMember
(@chickbree123)

Posted : 08/11/2013 6:41 am

Thank you!

Day 4: Dry, but also still oily at the same time? No new pimples! I am waiting for the break out.....

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 08/11/2013 9:59 am

Hi! Congrats on being engaged!! ;)

As for the dry eyes, I'm on month 3 now, and am still suffering with them. I've been using dry eye eye drops on them, which really help (assuming I remember to use them!). I don't know where you live, but if you're in th UK like me, Boots make thirty own brand of eye drops for dry eyes that are the best I've found :)

MemberMember
(@dolomite)

Posted : 08/12/2013 8:24 am

I am on day 25 and my face is in the worst condition I've ever seen of myself. Sigh

Papules form and new ones forming before the other previous ones are able to completely heal now I look like a joke.

MemberMember
(@chickbree123)

Posted : 08/13/2013 1:29 am

I am on day 25 and my face is in the worst condition I've ever seen of myself. Sigh

Papules form and new ones forming before the other previous ones are able to completely heal now I look like a joke.

Oh gosh, that makes me so incredibly nervous. What was your acne like beforehand?

Im in Melbourne Australia.

I am up to Day 7 now and asides from the extremely dry lips, I went to bed last night without anything on my face (was exhausted and forgot). I thought I'd wake up with stacks of pimples due to this but woke up to almost completely clear skin (asides from a tiny pimple on my forehead). I'm really happy so far, but I have a feeling this happiness won't last.

When do people normally break out?

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/13/2013 6:46 am

If people have an initial breakout, it usually happens within the first month.

MemberMember
(@dolomite)

Posted : 08/13/2013 10:59 am

Check, I am a 27 yr old male suffering from papule size (not huge cystic) acne for about 1 year and 3 months now. Accutane was the route of choice for me after countless bp/doxycycline (2 months) antibiotics and it was still consistent after maybe 3 months of somewhat clear-up. I had some small whiteheads but most concerning ones were about a half penny sized inflammatory nodular acne with no white heads. They last for like 3+ weeks and then scar for like 5 more months. I am much older than ur usual acne crowds in males so I'm hoping to get rid of it for good. I never even had severe acne problem as a teen so this irritates me. I had main initial breakout happening since day 6 or 7 and thing is most non inflammatory whiteheads clear quick like 2 or 3 days but nodular ones last forever Rrr sigh it's almost like a tease but the skin will lose ALL oil by like 2nd or 3rd week and u will have no oil left on face. I saw that first week and a half ur skin is super thick oily and then everything drains out. It feels nice actually once it drains I feel sorta normal without having a greasy face. Msg me if u have any questions cuz I will be ahead of you in cycle slightly :)

MemberMember
(@gina1981)

Posted : 08/13/2013 12:11 pm

Good luck. I'm a 32 yr fm just starting my course as well. I also had mild persistent adult acne. But it really really bothered me and I tried everything else. Antibiotics, creams, lasers, spiro, bc pill blah blah. No side effects yet except headaches that r dull. But I'm on a super low dose for now. Keep in touch. I also have a blog. Gina1981.

MemberMember
(@chickbree123)

Posted : 08/14/2013 12:47 am

Thanks so much for everyone sharing their stories too! Please continue to share and update me, as this process was incredibly scary for me! My mum doesn't know I am on this drug as she is so against it.

Day 8: I had huge headaches last night, got a huge swollen lip (only on one side) which took ages to disappear and several anti inflams. My face is an oily mess. I got home from teaching (I am a teacher) and it looked like I had put my face in oil! I was horrified. Same thing occurred today. This means I have developed a few small spots around my chin and mouth. I put Duac on them last night and woke up and they were gone or almost gone.

My lips aren't as dry today, but I definitely was sporting a sexy swollen lip (which I almost had to go to the dr's over). I do feel like my face is getting better (slightly), but the oil is just insane!

MemberMember
(@gina1981)

Posted : 08/14/2013 2:41 pm

More oil is totally normal. It's pushing all the sebum and gunk from the inside put. Not fun but part of the process. I am going through the same thing. I look like I'm sweating haha. Anyways. Continue to moisturize despite oil and possible try oil blotting sheets. They work!!! U will be dry soon enough. How is ur lip. That's so odd. If its not better I would try Benadryl or a anti histamine or try OTC cortisone. If u go online to [Removed] they have a cortisone lip balm that's good.

MemberMember
(@chickbree123)

Posted : 08/15/2013 7:15 am

On 8/15/2013 at 1:41 AM, Gina1981 said:

More oil is totally normal. It's pushing all the sebum and gunk from the inside put. Not fun but part of the process. I am going through the same thing. I look like I'm sweating haha. Anyways. Continue to moisturize despite oil and possible try oil blotting sheets. They work!!! U will be dry soon enough. How is ur lip. That's so odd. If its not better I would try Benadryl or a anti histamine or try OTC cortisone. If u go online to [Removed] they have a cortisone lip balm that's good.

Thank you so much! My lip swelling has gone down! :) Thank goodness. Everything is still the same. My lips are not very dry today (still a little bit more than normal). How are things with your skin going?

MemberMember
(@chickbree123)

Posted : 08/17/2013 8:32 am

Not much to update on. I had a little pick which caused a few red areas. Stupid of me, but I am going through some stuff with my mums health and got upset. For some reason it just seems to calm me...been so good these past two weeks!

I have a question about acne scars. My face was so clear up until this year where for some reason everything was scarring. I have been left with two big big big holes in my face from not even a pimple, a bloody mosquito bite! Regardless they didn't heal and I have a scar on my nose that is pretty long and wide and one on my cheek which is very deep and quite big. It looks like someone has dug something out of my face and no sort of makeup covers it.

I see them and cry. I asked my determatologist and he didn't say anything due to being on roaccutane. I don't want these here for my wedding. Any suggestions?

MemberMember
(@gina1981)

Posted : 08/17/2013 3:08 pm

There are options, don't despair. However, I don't think ur best option is a derm. I think a plastic surgeon is ur best bet. Lasers are out until 6 mo post accutane, ESP ablative ones which is what is rec for indented scars. Like fractional co2. However, a temporary fix that u could do soon after is filler. It's safe and non ablative. I would find a plastic surg and get a consult at least so ur ready!

Do not pick. I used to do the same and it never, ever turns out good. Just leave it and it will go away much faster. U have to get into the habit of just doing nothing:). ESP on accutane bc it will get rid o them on its own!

Doing well so far. No real side eff but on low dose for this month. Kit

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/17/2013 5:35 pm

I've moved your Topic to the Accutane logs thread.

MemberMember
(@chickbree123)

Posted : 08/17/2013 5:49 pm

There are options, don't despair. However, I don't think ur best option is a derm. I think a plastic surgeon is ur best bet. Lasers are out until 6 mo post accutane, ESP ablative ones which is what is rec for indented scars. Like fractional co2. However, a temporary fix that u could do soon after is filler. It's safe and non ablative. I would find a plastic surg and get a consult at least so ur ready!

Do not pick. I used to do the same and it never, ever turns out good. Just leave it and it will go away much faster. U have to get into the habit of just doing nothing:). ESP on accutane bc it will get rid o them on its own!

Doing well so far. No real side eff but on low dose for this month. Kit

Are fillers done at dermatologists? I will still be on roaccutane during my wedding.

MemberMember
(@gina1981)

Posted : 08/17/2013 8:19 pm

Yes but that's a Toss up if ur dr will want to do that while ur on accutane, every dr has diff opinions about that but most wil veer away from that

MemberMember
(@chickbree123)

Posted : 08/19/2013 6:17 am

Think I am up to day 11. No change. No break outs, my lips aren't that dry. My face is pretty normal honestly. Still a bit oily during the day though.

One thing I am getting is a cramping in my stomach during the day time. It's not horrible, but its an annoying sort of feeling.

MemberMember
(@heftymug)

Posted : 08/19/2013 9:38 am

Think I am up to day 11. No change. No break outs, my lips aren't that dry. My face is pretty normal honestly. Still a bit oily during the day though.

One thing I am getting is a cramping in my stomach during the day time. It's not horrible, but its an annoying sort of feeling.

Are you taking your pills with decent sized meals?

MemberMember
(@chickbree123)

Posted : 08/19/2013 5:32 pm

Hello,

Yeah I am eating them straight after dinner :)

MemberMember
(@gina1981)

Posted : 08/20/2013 11:32 am

Same here. Down one pack of pills, although low dose for me for another week. I har no dryness or dry lips yet. However my scalp is so itchy. Any advice for that? I've heard head and shoulders or neutrogena t sal. Also I've read oil treatments too! I'm so anxious for tane to clear up my blackheads on my nose. :)

MemberMember
(@gina1981)

Posted : 08/22/2013 12:09 pm

Chick, how's it going?

MemberMember
(@chickbree123)

Posted : 08/24/2013 5:54 am

Chick, how's it going?

Hey, not much change honestly. I get a few very small pimples from time to time but no big ones. My lips are still very dry and flakey! It was really embarrassing the other night as I could feel the skin hanging off my lips so I had to keep excusing myself.

I have a really sore back which apparently is a side effect of tane. I am a figure skater, cheerleading/dance coach and work as a primary teacher, so it's hard to pin point if this pain is related to tane or just my insane schedule at the moment. All I can say is, I can't stand for very long without it killing my back.

The rest of my skin isn't very dry at all and still gets oily in the T zone. My back seems to be clearing up (that was a problem area due to sweat) but my nose still gets blackheads which is a bit annoying.

I'm hoping everything clears up and no new pimples eventuate. I mean...3 tiny tiny tiny tiny dots isn't exactly bad, but I want 100% free skin.

How is yours going?