Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Idea

MemberMember
(@austinakaking)

Posted : 08/07/2013 2:12 pm

Hello Acne.org, I have Moderate acne, I was wondering, if I could possibly go to my doctor and basically give him an idea of lose dose accutane regimen since my acne is moderate and persistent and also i have oily skin, so that's the cause of it, and my face is red in some areas, where the acne is so yeah.

==================================

Are there any people with moderate acne with oily skin who has tried the low dose regimen, if so, did you get cleared to your satisfaction? is your skin back to even toned, it would really help me out if i get alot of comments on this.

===================================

Also, does Texas Medicaid cover accutane, maybe not the higher dosages because of price, but the lower dosages, if they don't do you think it is possible for my doctor do contact them and say i need it. ??

thanks guys!!

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/08/2013 12:01 am

1st part of you're question, there are lots of people who take accutane for moderate acne and oil issues. Most people do get cleared to their goal. Now if it stays that way that is the main concerns.in most cases peoples oil returns to the same or very close to the same production level. It tend to just stop oil production while being in the medication and it slowly returns after you get off.

2nd part. It takes awhile for your skin to come even toned again, but it will with time. I finished my accutane course about 9 months ago and I am just about even with my face tone and free of Hyperpigmentaion for the first time in a very long time. It's amazing.

This will also depend on what you do as a followup treatment for your skin. You need to keep it clear afterwards so you need a plan for that. If you will do topicals or what you are going to try.

I did topical retin a and didn't have much luck with it, I've never liked it and still didn't after I was clear and off accutane. I felt like it made my skin feel as appear oily from the product plus my skin was so sensitive after accutane and I could only handle the retin a on my face once a week and that was mixed with my moisturizer. So it wasn't effective since I couldn't use it as needed.

Now as far as your insurance goes, I have no idea if your insurance will cover the medication. I know lots of people need prior authorization and your derm may need to write the insurance company to validate why you need the medication. Even more so if you haven't been through the usual million antibiotics and topicals more people are required to use and fail before accutane should even be tried.

My suggestion is if you can treat your acne without accutane and are able to manage it then skip the accutane. It's not worth the danger and the side effects if you can handle it yourself, and there are other measures you can take to rid yourself of oil. Or to control your oil. If you do take accutane why are you thinking a long low dose course? Is there a reason you don't want to do a normal 6 month course? A low does treatment can take up to 1to 2 years depending on the dosage. It's usually right inbetween a year or two.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/08/2013 4:57 am

Hello Acne.org, I have Moderate acne, I was wondering, if I could possibly go to my doctor and basically give him an idea of lose dose accutane regimen since my acne is moderate and persistent and also i have oily skin, so that's the cause of it, and my face is red in some areas, where the acne is so yeah.

==================================

Are there any people with moderate acne with oily skin who has tried the low dose regimen, if so, did you get cleared to your satisfaction? is your skin back to even toned, it would really help me out if i get alot of comments on this.

===================================

Also, does Texas Medicaid cover accutane, maybe not the higher dosages because of price, but the lower dosages, if they don't do you think it is possible for my doctor do contact them and say i need it. ??

thanks guys!!

Good response above.

austinakaking: If you are female, there are other hormonal treatments that can reduce oil production (and acne) such as spironolactone that are safer than Accutane for long-term use. Sadly, there isn't much else that has evidence for reducing oil production.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=35522

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2923944/pdf/jcad_2_12_16.pdf

Good luck

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/08/2013 9:26 pm

Definitely an insightful answer... Would you guys on acne.org recommend taking accutane for mild acne? I don't even know if I could find a doctor to prescribe it, but do people have success gaining and maintaing clear skin if they went on that medication? Also is it worth the risks for acne that (I believe is a serious issue), but everyone describes as very mild?

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/09/2013 3:37 am

Can you post a photo please Rosalie

Definitely an insightful answer... Would you guys on acne.org recommend taking accutane for mild acne? I don't even know if I could find a doctor to prescribe it, but do people have success gaining and maintaing clear skin if they went on that medication? Also is it worth the risks for acne that (I believe is a serious issue), but everyone describes as very mild?

MemberMember
(@austinakaking)

Posted : 08/09/2013 2:16 pm

low dose regimen because I do not have Severe acne