Notifications
Clear all

Skin Routine With Roaccutane

MemberMember
(@ktlouise)

Posted : 08/07/2013 1:03 pm

finally started my course of roaccutane today after waiting for soo long. i'm 50kg and i've started on 30mg a day. what i want to know is what other products to use on my face during the course. up til recently i washed my face with six different products (i used a clean & clear scrub, a garnier scrub, st.ives scrub , witch pore cleansing gel and 10% benzoyl peroxide facial wash) morning and night, which i know was too excessive and most likely doing more harm than good - i guess it was just because of the overwhelming obession i have with having clear skin unsure.png - but in the past few days i've managed to cut down to just the st.ives scrub and the benzoyl peroxide wash. the scrub contains salicylic acid and i'm concerned that this along with the benzoyl peroxide and the roaccutane might become too much, so i was just wondering if anyone who is/has been on roaccutane could tell me what products they use as part of a daily skin routine. also, what else should i be stocking up on to 'get me through'? i know all the basics like lipbalm and eye drops but is there any particular brands anybody could recommend? oh and only products available in the uk. thanksbiggrin.png

MemberMember
(@heftymug)

Posted : 08/07/2013 1:12 pm

I think you should just use a simple gentle cleanser and moisturizer. I personally use cetaphil for both but I think a lot of people around here recommend ceraVe. I would cut out anything that has BP or SA. You simply don't need it while on accutane, to my knowledge anyways.

I've been using burts bees lip chap (not working well) so I ordered some Dr. Dans coritbalm which is apparently great but I'm still waiting on it. When I'm at home I use vaseline which is great.

MemberMember
(@ktlouise)

Posted : 08/07/2013 6:54 pm

I think you should just use a simple gentle cleanser and moisturizer. I personally use cetaphil for both but I think a lot of people around here recommend ceraVe. I would cut out anything that has BP or SA. You simply don't need it while on accutane, to my knowledge anyways.

I've been using burts bees lip chap (not working well) so I ordered some Dr. Dans coritbalm which is apparently great but I'm still waiting on it. When I'm at home I use vaseline which is great.

i'd feel so horrible not washing my facesad.png , i need to find one that's gentle because like you said i think roaccutane would be enough on it's own without any extra 'drying' ingredients. i have some cetaphil cleanser, moisturiser and shower gel actually, another dermatologist i saw gave me them a while back but at the time i was only on an antibiotic and so i don't think i needed them that much. definitely going to give them a go now, although i wish they were scenteddry.png just ordered some aquaphor online as well as i've seen a lot of people say it's really good.

i'll definitely have a look at that, i have some carmex but after seeing how bad some peoples lips get i want to make sure i have the best product available. thanks for your advice!

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 08/07/2013 7:31 pm

Yes, stick with a gentle cleanser and simple moisturizer. I'm using Cetaphil Cleanser and Cerave Moisturizing Lotion. I also mix in some jojoba oil from time to time.

Aquaphor also has a lip balm. But, I don't think it works as well as many claim. It doesn't seem to last very long. I'm using Avon Moisture Therapy Lip Balm and I actually like it much better than Aquaphor Lip Repair. :)

But, then again, I just started accutane two weeks ago. So my knowledge is limited compared to the many Accutane veterans out there.

Good luck on your course! I weigh the same, but I'm starting out at 40 mg. Let's hope we clear up in 3-4 months (preferably sooner)!.

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 08/07/2013 7:32 pm

I just finished my Accutane course today. I am also around 50kg, I took 40mg for my entire course.

I went a little crazy and tried tons of products. Here is what I found particularly helpful although I'm not sure which ones are available in the UK. (Amazon?) =)

-Face: GENTLE is the key word. I used CeraVe moisturizing cleanser or Cetaphil cleanser and they worked well. When I had dry, peeling skin and felt the need to exfoliate, I would use a wet washcloth and gently massage or lightly brush/scrub the dead skin away. Sounds sexy, I know. As for moisturizers, I have dry skin anyway so I used some pretty thick stuff. I like the Cetaphil moisturizing cream in the tub and when things were really dry I would use pure shea butter.

-Lips: You will experience a whole new level of dry. I used Vaseline, Aquaphor and Bag Balm mostly on my lips, alternating them and even then it never feels like enough. I sometimes use a washcloth to gently exfoliate them before re-applying. Sometimes my lips would burn like they were on fire; I'm not sure if that's common or not but cool compresses (cool washcloths) felt really good when the burning would kick in. When my lips get really bad, I use hydrocortisone ointment on them. I usually put it on at night so it doesn't rub off. It also tastes awful. Follow the directions on the label though, you can't use it too often or for an extended period of time. (My dermatologist recommended it to me when my lips were really bad). I can't wait to have my lips back....

-Hair: My scalp got dry and flakey almost immediately but not sure if that's common either. It will dry out and damage your hair though. My hair did better when I switched to a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner. Loreal has some nice products (I have been using the Intense Nourishing kind which is crazy because I've always had oily hair). DermOrganics is also good but you have to order it online. I also added a few drops of jojoba oil to my conditioner and let it set in as long as possible before rinsing and that seemed to help with the dryness/flaking. Also, after I'd been on Accutane a month or so, the less I washed my hair the better it seemed to do. I only wash every other day or so.

Hope that helps...good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@ktlouise)

Posted : 08/07/2013 7:54 pm

Yes, stick with a gentle cleanser and simple moisturizer. I'm using Cetaphil Cleanser and Cerave Moisturizing Lotion. I also mix in some jojoba oil from time to time.

Aquaphor also has a lip balm. But, I don't think it works as well as many claim. It doesn't seem to last very long. I'm using Avon Moisture Therapy Lip Balm and I actually like it much better than Aquaphor Lip Repair. smile.png

But, then again, I just started accutane two weeks ago. So my knowledge is limited compared to the many Accutane veterans out there.

Good luck on your course! I weigh the same, but I'm starting out at 40 mg. Let's hope we clear up in 3-4 months (preferably sooner)!.

so do you not use any facial washes/scrubs? i know it's probably not necessary but i'd be so on edge considering i used to wash it six times in a row hahablush.png and am i right in thinking the cetaphil cleanser is the same sort of consistency as a moisturiser? i was hesitant in using it when i was given it because i always have it in my head that moisturising will make my skin more greasy but i know it's really just a case of using the right stuff and obviously i'm going to be moisturising a lot over the next few monthslol.gif definitely need to think about using my cetaphil stuff.

i think i'm just going to have a browse around tesco tomorrow or something and buy loads of different ones and try them all out.

yeah and i guess it varies for everyone! i'm just so set on making sure i do everything exactly right because i don't want to effect the treatment in any way, been waiting for clear skin for so so longeusa_pray.gif

i think i'm going to ask for a higher dose on my next appointment, i want to go as high as possible! thank you and good luck to you as well x

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 08/07/2013 8:04 pm

Aquaphor also has a lip balm. But, I don't think it works as well as many claim. It doesn't seem to last very long. I'm using Avon Moisture Therapy Lip Balm and I actually like it much better than Aquaphor Lip Repair. smile.png

so do you not use any facial washes/scrubs? i know it's probably not necessary but i'd be so on edge considering i used to wash it six times in a row hahablush.png and am i right in thinking the cetaphil cleanser is the same sort of consistency as a moisturiser? i was hesitant in using it when i was given it because i always have it in my head that moisturising will make my skin more greasy but i know it's really just a case of using the right stuff and obviously i'm going to be moisturising a lot over the next few monthslol.gif definitely need to think about using my cetaphil stuff.

i think i'm just going to have a browse around tesco tomorrow or something and buy loads of different ones and try them all out.

yeah and i guess it varies for everyone! i'm just so set on making sure i do everything exactly right because i don't want to effect the treatment in any way, been waiting for clear skin for so so longeusa_pray.gif

i think i'm going to ask for a higher dose on my next appointment, i want to go as high as possible! thank you and good luck to you as well x

No, definitely no scrubs! I know, I used to be big on exfoliating. But accutane makes your skin much more fragile and it takes a lot longer to heal.

And yeah cetaphil is rather thick but I love that, it feels so much gentler on my skin. But, it's actually not that moisturizing. I find it kind of drying but I've only used it with BP which is drying in itself. So, lather on plenty of moisturizer afterward. Your skin won't feel greasy for long with Accutane. :)

MemberMember
(@ktlouise)

Posted : 08/07/2013 8:05 pm

I just finished my Accutane course today. I am also around 50kg, I took 40mg for my entire course.

I went a little crazy and tried tons of products. Here is what I found particularly helpful although I'm not sure which ones are available in the UK. (Amazon?) =)

-Face: GENTLE is the key word. I used CeraVe moisturizing cleanser or Cetaphil cleanser and they worked well. When I had dry, peeling skin and felt the need to exfoliate, I would use a wet washcloth and gently massage or lightly brush/scrub the dead skin away. Sounds sexy, I know. As for moisturizers, I have dry skin anyway so I used some pretty thick stuff. I like the Cetaphil moisturizing cream in the tub and when things were really dry I would use pure shea butter.

-Lips: You will experience a whole new level of dry. I used Vaseline, Aquaphor and Bag Balm mostly on my lips, alternating them and even then it never feels like enough. I sometimes use a washcloth to gently exfoliate them before re-applying. Sometimes my lips would burn like they were on fire; I'm not sure if that's common or not but cool compresses (cool washcloths) felt really good when the burning would kick in. When my lips get really bad, I use hydrocortisone ointment on them. I usually put it on at night so it doesn't rub off. It also tastes awful. Follow the directions on the label though, you can't use it too often or for an extended period of time. (My dermatologist recommended it to me when my lips were really bad). I can't wait to have my lips back....

-Hair: My scalp got dry and flakey almost immediately but not sure if that's common either. It will dry out and damage your hair though. My hair did better when I switched to a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner. Loreal has some nice products (I have been using the Intense Nourishing kind which is crazy because I've always had oily hair). DermOrganics is also good but you have to order it online. I also added a few drops of jojoba oil to my conditioner and let it set in as long as possible before rinsing and that seemed to help with the dryness/flaking. Also, after I'd been on Accutane a month or so, the less I washed my hair the better it seemed to do. I only wash every other day or so.

Hope that helps...good luck to you!

ahh how exciting how did it go? are you clear? :) i need to go higher, do you think 40mg would be the maximum dose for us?

there's so many different products, it's hard to choose which ones to buyblink.png that sounds thrilling, i'm going to have to do something similar though as dry skin is one of the most irritating things and i'm going to find it hard to leave it alone.

i have a feeling my lips are going to be one of the worst things, even just using the different gels i was prescribed my lips used to get really cracked round the edges and that shit was PAINFUL so i'm really going to go all out with the lip stuff.

my hair's really oily to, like literally i'll wash it one night and then wake up the next morning and it'll look greasydry.png , so i'm actually really looking forward to not having to wash it as much. yeah seen a few people mention jojoba oil so i really want to get some of that.

thank you so much for taking the time to give me so much advice, it's appreciated :)

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 08/08/2013 12:55 pm

I'm in the UK too and I'm the same weight.

For the first few weeks I used a gentle cleanser but eventually my skin became so sensitive that it was making my face red and itchy.

Like you, I hate not washing my face so I asked a pharmacist what they'd recommend and she sold me an aqueous cream. Aqueous creams are the base of most moisturisers, just without any extra stuff added that could irritate your skin. It also kind of moisturises as you wash, which is what you need on Roaccutane.

There are more product recommendations on my log, check it out, it might give you an idea of what to expect. Ask me if you have any questions, and good luck :)

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 08/08/2013 5:31 pm

CeraVe Foaming Cleanser is like a holy grail when it comes to accutane. It works exceptionaly with my skin because im very allergic and sensitive to anything that contains natural ingredients, oils, and fragrance (and like every cleanser contains it which freaks me out) I know the cleansers that have bright colors, bursting beads, or any special stuff seen lovely... but all our skin needs it a light clean. Go simple.

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 08/08/2013 7:59 pm

I'm so happy to be done =) And yes, I am clear. Finally! I am thirty years old, have dealt with acne for ten years (facial acne and body acne). I personally did not feel comfortable going over 40mg and would've gone on a lower dosage if my dermatologist would have agreed. I think it is wiser to do a longer course on a smaller dosage to decrease the risk of side effects but I can also understand wanting to get done quickly. I experienced a lot of fatigue and brain fog, especially at the end of my course. I also had some moodiness so I am looking forward to feeling like myself again. I can't wait to not have to apply lip balm every hour either. =) I hope you have great results!

MemberMember
(@ktlouise)

Posted : 08/09/2013 1:25 am

No, definitely no scrubs! I know, I used to be big on exfoliating. But accutane makes your skin much more fragile and it takes a lot longer to heal.

And yeah cetaphil is rather thick but I love that, it feels so much gentler on my skin. But, it's actually not that moisturizing. I find it kind of drying but I've only used it with BP which is drying in itself. So, lather on plenty of moisturizer afterward. Your skin won't feel greasy for long with Accutane. smile.png

decided i'm going to ditch all the scrubs and just use my bp wash for now - i'm just thinking of how much money i'm going to save without having to stock up on scrubs and washes every weekboogie.gif

started using my cetaphil cleanser today, i'm the same - using it along with bp and i have a neutrogena oil free moisturiser which has a really nice cooling effect so i'm feeling slightly more set in my routine nowbiggrin.png thank you for the advice!

I'm in the UK too and I'm the same weight.

For the first few weeks I used a gentle cleanser but eventually my skin became so sensitive that it was making my face red and itchy.

Like you, I hate not washing my face so I asked a pharmacist what they'd recommend and she sold me an aqueous cream. Aqueous creams are the base of most moisturisers, just without any extra stuff added that could irritate your skin. It also kind of moisturises as you wash, which is what you need on Roaccutane.

There are more product recommendations on my log, check it out, it might give you an idea of what to expect. Ask me if you have any questions, and good luck smile.png

thanks so much, going to find some online and order it tonight :) and i'll definitely have a look, thanks again!

CeraVe Foaming Cleanser is like a holy grail when it comes to accutane. It works exceptionaly with my skin because im very allergic and sensitive to anything that contains natural ingredients, oils, and fragrance (and like every cleanser contains it which freaks me out) I know the cleansers that have bright colors, bursting beads, or any special stuff seen lovely... but all our skin needs it a light clean. Go simple.

thank you, definitely going to try this one out as my skin is prone to sensitivity also. i agree with you, i'm so glad i've stopped obsessively scrubbing my face and i think it's helping already - actually regretting not doing it soonerblink.png

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/09/2013 3:41 am

While on Accutane, which is already drying/irritating for your skin, I would only use water and perhaps a mild moisturiser on your face because you don't want to aggravate things.

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 08/09/2013 10:34 am

While on Accutane, which is already drying/irritating for your skin, I would only use water and perhaps a mild moisturiser on your face because you don't want to aggravate things.

I agree while on accutane simply water should be used to wash the face- but if your a women that wears some concealer or makeup a light cleanse is a necessity to take it off. :)

MemberMember
(@ktlouise)

Posted : 08/09/2013 10:53 am

I agree while on accutane simply water should be used to wash the face- but if your a women that wears some concealer or makeup a light cleanse is a necessity to take it off. smile.png

but surely that would mean the build up of grease and dirt that occurs throughout the day wouldn't be washed off properly? you're probably right realistically, i'm just going to find it difficultunsure.png

i do use make up when i'm seeing people so i might just use one of the moisturising washes people recommended and see how it goes, i'm hoping that i'll find the desire i have to wash my face all the time will lessen as i get further into the treatment anyway - it's just the first few weeks that i'm going to be thinking 'i need to do more eusa_wall.gif ' as obviously there won't be any difference to my skin.

thank you both for your input :)