Notifications
Clear all

Serious Dead Skin Problem

MemberMember
(@babser)

Posted : 08/07/2013 9:51 am

Hi

My acne has been improving a lot this summer. This is probably due to both time and sun exposure.

However, my skin still struggles with some issues. Every time i wash my face and look in the mirror i see areas on my face having layers of built up dead skin cells. Some of them is just the ordinary "dry skin" white cells, but some days i can also drag my fingernail carefully on my skin and i will have big yellow-ish flakes coming off. After i've removed those yellow flaky areas the skin underneath is red and raw... this has now become a bigger problem than my actual acne itself. I guess it's been like this for quite some time now, but i've been able to keep it under control with shaving every other day (it exfoliates). But lately it's just been too much. Only shaving doesn't cut it, i have to use a wet washcloth to drag it off (and a lot comes off).

Im really frustrated.. It wasn't like this before.. Not only do i have to emotinally worry about my acne, but i also have to keep this under control. It's just too much..

Do i have a skin condition or do i just need some exfoliation cream and moisturizer?

Please give me some input if you've been in a similar situation or might know something about it.. thank you

MemberMember
(@rheks)

Posted : 08/07/2013 10:01 am

I think it sounds like you probably do need to try to exfoliate and maybe try a peel face mask? then of course moisturize

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 08/07/2013 10:20 am

use aha or a mild bha wash.

chemical exfoliation is best option for acne prone skin.

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/07/2013 11:51 am

Was your skin having this dry-red-flaky condition before the summer? It is possible that your skin is becoming irritated from the sun. The sun can help dry up extra oil on your face and make everything look tan and even in color. But, the only way you keep that tan is letting the dead skin build up and eventually that could cause flaky skin. An in the long run, sun isn't good for skin and for most people it isn't good for acne either.

MemberMember
(@ribbonettes)

Posted : 08/07/2013 12:52 pm

The sun does wonders for your body and for your skin! Like with everything else, too much of a good thing isn't good.. be careful not to over do it. Laying out in the sun is a great way to get vit D and is highly recommended. Maybe even spend as short as 20 minutes will be good enough. For protection from the sun I recommend using safflower oil. It's great as a natural sunscreen. I tried it once I didn't get burnt or breakout. (A lot of sunscreens make me breakout)

As far as the dead skin problem, I have a lot of dead skin too.. especially on my face so I can relate. Not sure if mine was quite that bad, but I know I did have a lot at one point I was exfoliating my skin 2x per day with 2 different exfoliators. I went to sephora and asked for the most abrasive facial scrub they had.. her jaw dropped.. lol the first one she showed me wasn't abrasive enough and then the walnut scrub was perfect! But it's so expensive so I had to stop buying it and now I just use straight up brown sugar once or twice per day. It feels so good to exfoliate my skin in general.. the brown sugar doesn't feel as great as the walnut scrub but it gets the job done.

When I don't exfoliate I get dead skin build up and it looks ugly when I put make-up over it. So it's definitely a must for me.

I don't use a toner or anything I tried that once and it just dried out my skin pretty bad.. it also had a really uncomfortable burning sensation so for me i think exfoliating is good enough.

Be happy that your skin is shedding dead cells! It's healing to expose the nice brand new skin from underneath. You just gotta exfoliate gently so that the dead skin cells don't clog or get stuck in your pores.

If you have a lot of active acne, I recommend using a more gentle scrub like burt's bees almond scrub. That is good for acne-prone skin without irritating bumps. (hopefully you will get a good batch if you try it, haha last time I purchased it for some reason it didn't even feel like a scrub to me). You can also make your own sugar scrub which is cheaper.

a lot of people don't recommend exfoliating everyday, but I don't understand that because I NEED to everyday! It's different for certain people I guess.Sorry if this is long, just wanted to share my experience :] Hope you can solve this issue (:

MemberMember
(@babser)

Posted : 08/07/2013 3:13 pm

Thanks for answering people. I really do appreciate it smile.png

Was your skin having this dry-red-flaky condition before the summer? It is possible that your skin is becoming irritated from the sun. The sun can help dry up extra oil on your face and make everything look tan and even in color. But, the only way you keep that tan is letting the dead skin build up and eventually that could cause flaky skin. An in the long run, sun isn't good for skin and for most people it isn't good for acne either.

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/07/2013 3:43 pm

Babser, I've never experienced this before so I'm not quite sure what it is. Do you have a picture of it? It sounds like you have dead skin cells that are piling on top of one another and the best way to get rid of this is to exfoliate. It is odd though that when you do exfoliate, the skin underneath is red and raw instead of healthy. What type of acne products do you use? They might be causing the redness and peeling.

MemberMember
(@babser)

Posted : 08/07/2013 3:58 pm

Babser, I've never experienced this before so I'm not quite sure what it is. Do you have a picture of it? It sounds like you have dead skin cells that are piling on top of one another and the best way to get rid of this is to exfoliate. It is odd though that when you do exfoliate, the skin underneath is red and raw instead of healthy. What type of acne products do you use? They might be causing the redness and peeling.

hmm, right now i use nothing. just wash my face with water when i shower morning and evening. yes, i did in fact take a picture this morning because it was looking worse than usual

post-186606-0-21871000-1375909059_thumb.

Picture is taken after i've removed the dead skin cells surface.

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/07/2013 4:08 pm

hmm, right now i use nothing. just wash my face with water when i shower morning and evening. yes, i did in fact take a picture this morning because it was looking worse than usual

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Is it possible that you have broken capillaries under the skin? Does your skin feel sensitive or bumpy where the redness is? It does not look like the redness is all over your face so that's why I ask. I found a picture on google images of a person with broken capillaries on her cheeks.

MemberMember
(@babser)

Posted : 08/07/2013 4:23 pm

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Is it possible that you have broken capillaries under the skin? Does your skin feel sensitive or bumpy where the redness is? It does not look like the redness is all over your face so that's why I ask. I found a picture on google images of a person with broken capillaries on her cheeks.

My skin in general is really sensitive, so i don't really know.. it does look similar, but i think it's more above the skin than it is underneath it. Some of the spots might be red marks from previous acne too.

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/07/2013 4:31 pm

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

My skin in general is really sensitive, so i don't really know.. it does look similar, but i think it's more above the skin than it is underneath it. Some of the spots might be red marks from previous acne too.

Hmm, have you tried going to the dermatologist? Since your skin is very sensitive, it makes sense that you are using a minimalist skin routine. But, maybe by just using water you are doing your skin more harm than good. How long have you been doing the just water route?

MemberMember
(@babser)

Posted : 08/07/2013 5:11 pm

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hmm, have you tried going to the dermatologist? Since your skin is very sensitive, it makes sense that you are using a minimalist skin routine. But, maybe by just using water you are doing your skin more harm than good. How long have you been doing the just water route?

Yeah, i tried going to a dermatologist.. he prescribed me accutane after 3 minutes, barely even looked at my skin. It was a total joke.

I have probably been using the only water routine for 4-5 months now. Before that i used the Acne.org Mousturizer for almost a year, until i figured out it was actually making my dead skin cells shed off even less (it was probably due to the jojoba making them sticky).

I've had many routines over the years i've had acne (since i was around 15, i am now 18). At first my regular doctor prescribed me antibiotics combined with topicals. The first one being something called Tetracyclin Actavis 250mg combined with Dalacin clindamycin. This didnt seem to work at all, so he gave me a different kind of antibiotics called Tetracyclin Arco 250mg, now combined with Differin gel. He later decided to give me a third type of antibiotic called Ery-max erytromycin 250mg. This combination I was on for about a year or so, and I cant say i saw much improvement. The stupid thing I did during this period was not to use any moisturizer, so my face was very irritated and red from the differin gel. I wasnt very aware of my skin at that time because I thought if i just kept on using this routine it would eventually work. He didn't educate me at all about how antibiotics worked, and i didn't look it up because i trusted him.

Later on i've been more careful about how i treat my acne. I've tried a couple of moisturizers that has not worked well on my skin, some vitamin supplements and something called niactil, which is basicly niacinamide and salicylic acid. But i've always been very careful about amounts etc after i quit doing differin/antibiotics.

Some days i feel like my skin is like this because of something i did.. and that it will always be like that.. other days when my skin has improved i feel like it's just something that comes with my acne and that i just have to wait for it to take an end...

Well, you got the whole story now. I feel very confused and dont really know what to make of all this. Thanks for caring anyway smile.png

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/07/2013 5:31 pm

Babser, I was reading online about different possible things that could be the cause of what you are going through. It sounds like your skin has been through quite a bit in the past 3 years so your skin may be in the healing stage right now. If your acne has calmed down the past 4-5 months and the only thing that seems to be persistent is the odd flaky skin and raw skin underneath, possibly it is just your skin trying to rebuild itself. It could also be the broken capillaries, because alot of people who have them were talking about how they had used lots of products on their skin and it damaged the delicate veins. I personally use a face wash called clinique redness relief soothing cleanser, and I've used it for about 5 months and all redness on my face is gone. It might help with the raw, red skin underneath. And yep, I'm here to help you out! :)

MemberMember
(@babser)

Posted : 08/07/2013 5:42 pm

Babser, I was reading online about different possible things that could be the cause of what you are going through. It sounds like your skin has been through quite a bit in the past 3 years so your skin may be in the healing stage right now. If your acne has calmed down the past 4-5 months and the only thing that seems to be persistent is the odd flaky skin and raw skin underneath, possibly it is just your skin trying to rebuild itself. It could also be the broken capillaries, because alot of people who have them were talking about how they had used lots of products on their skin and it damaged the delicate veins. I personally use a face wash called clinique redness relief soothing cleanser, and I've used it for about 5 months and all redness on my face is gone. It might help with the raw, red skin underneath. And yep, I'm here to help you out! smile.png

Yeah, i guess it has.. I just hope it isn't permanentely damaged. The way my mindstate is like i really couldn't live with myself if that ought to be the case.

Im gonna wait for my products from Paulas Choice (they seem to have good knowledge about skincare judging from their website. A lot of info and so on) and be very gentle with amounts and see if it improves my skin. If it doesn't work i will definetely give the clinique redness relief soothing cleanser a try. Thanks again :) you've been most helpful

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/07/2013 5:50 pm

I've heard rave reviews about Paula's choice, so I bet the products will help you. I don't think your skin is permanently damaged because skin can take a long time to heal. Keep me posted on how you're doing once you get the new products. And in the meantime, don't let your skin get the best of you. In the picture, your skin looked fine!

MemberMember
(@yourlifesaver6)

Posted : 01/05/2014 8:53 pm

EVERYONE THIS DEAD SKIN BUILD UP IS DUE TO DEHYDRATED SKIN CAUSED BY THE EXCESS USE OF ACNE PRODUCTS !DEHYDRATED SKIN DOESNT RESPECT IF YOUR DRY OILY COMBINATION SENSITIVE! PROPERLY HYDRATED SKIN (WHICH IS WELL BALANCED COMBINATION OF OIL AND WATER) SHEDS SKIN CELLS NATURALLY! EXFOLIATION ISNT EVEN NECESSARY IF YOUR SKIN IS WELL HYDRATED ! THE REASON U GET THE BUILD UP IS BECAUSE YOUR SKIN IS UNBALANCED !! MESSAGE ME OR REPLY ! I HAD THIS ISSUE ASWELL AND RESOLVED THIS ISSUE AFTER ALOT OF FAIL ATTEMPS AND GETTING STUCK IN THIS PROBLEM