Notifications
Clear all

Starting Acne/org Regimen 8/5/13

MemberMember
(@runningmom)

Posted : 08/05/2013 10:15 pm

Hello, my name is Ashley! I have had acne since I was a young teenager and I am now 25 years old. I would say it's moderate (anywhere from 5-20 zits at a time) but it is just so annoying and I also have a lot of hyperpigmentation that just makes my skin look worse than it really is and I've never been able to get rid of it. I came across this site and thought I would give the regimen a try!

I am using Dan's stuff (the cleanser, the treatment, and the moisturizer). I've already applied today and so far so good. My face felt a little stiff after applying the cleanser and this is only day 1 so I can only imagine the dryness that will follow.

I also am training for a half marathon in October so I am out in the sun everyday, so I'm not quite sure what to do about my face being exposed to the sun after using the benzoyl peroxide. I have some Devita solar protective moisturizer spf 30 that is non comedogenic so I'm hoping it's okay to use that, but I'll probably just sweat it off within the first 5 minutes because it's so hot here.

I'm just nervous about the redness and the flakiness that I have heard and read about. Just hope this will work for me since nothing else has.

Has anybody started off slower than recommended like during the 2nd week not moved up to day/night everyday during that week? Did it help with irritation at all? I have sensitive skin and it gets red and irritated very easily.

Anybody else starting today/this week/recently?

Here are some pictures (most of the red marks are hyperpigmentation, which hopefully I can get to go away eventually?) Anybody have similar acne and had success using Dan's regimen? I have it the worst on my chin/cheeks area, some on my temples. Forehead is usually clear.

23t41fa.jpg

2qc3zb8.jpg

kf2rnd.jpg

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 08/05/2013 10:34 pm

Welcome to Acne.org Ashley!

Congrats on starting Day 1 of The Regimen. It is not always a smooth process to start, but a lot of people have had success with The Regimen, including me.

Just a tip, if dryness and flaking get to be much of an issue, try to incorporate jojoba oil with the moisturizer and when your skin is already used to the BP, you can give AHA a try. It works wonders for flakes. I used to carry a little bottle of moisturizer around when the flaking got really bad around my mouth and nose.

:)

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/06/2013 12:42 am

@runningmom

I started The Regimen on 7/10/13. As a runner, the only drawback I have seen so far while using the Acne.org products is with the yellow color moisturizer. For example, I went for a run today, 8/6/13, and here's what my white shirt looked like around the collar afterwards.

post-213170-0-87506000-1375765011_thumb.

I should mention that I use 5 drops of Jojoba oil mixed in with the moisturizer which might be contributing to this yellowing effect. It's not a big deal since I can just bleach my white shirts in hot water, but it's recently made me consider switching to Cetaphil's Oil Control Moisturizer. It's white and specifically made for acne prone skin (non comedogenic). Also, I like to run outside instead of on a treadmill so this seems like a better choice since it has broad spectrum SPF 30 protection.

post-213170-0-52281700-1375765426_thumb.

However, I'm apprehensive to change any variables in The Regimen until I'm completely clear of acne. I still get 2-3 zits in trouble areas. Since your marathon is not until October you should have enough time to get your mild acne under control and begin experimenting with what works for you by then.

You may find this page helpful. It has some of Acne.org's sunscreen recommendations and a chart of ingredients: http://www.acne.org/spf.html . Hopefully it can help you make a decision about a good sunscreen to use while running and sweating.

I'm 27 days into The Regimen now and I feel like my skin is getting accustomed to the 2.5% benzoyl peroxide. I'm no longer getting the redness and dryness that I was during the first 2 weeks - so you should be good to go by October. Also, I don't feel the "hardening effect" anymore. On days when I have some irritation around my neck from the benzoyl peroxide, I just use Vaseline before going for my run to ensure it doesn't get irritated by clothing or anything.

However, I do still get peeling and flakiness whenever I mix some of Acne.org's AHA (glycolic acid) into my moisturizer - so that's something to keep in mind if you want to reduce flakiness.

Also, I use Blistex SPF 15 medicated lip balm for dry lips and being outside. I did 40mg of Isotretinoin (Accutane) for 6 months several years ago and have had permanently dry lips ever since, so I always carry some with me and use it before going on a long run. http://www.drugstore.com/blistex-medicated-lip-balm-spf-15-original/qxp15778

Hope this helps and gives you a good idea of when you can expect the side effects of the benzoyl peroxide to subside. If you find a good sunscreen to use for running please share. Good luck in your race!

-Drew

post-213170-0-87506000-1375765011_thumb.

post-213170-0-52281700-1375765426_thumb.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 08/06/2013 2:43 am

Hi :) I'm just over a month into the regimen. Hope you find that the regimen works well for you!

I agree with adding in jojoba if the dryness becomes an issue. It really does help! I haven't started using AHA yet so can't comment on how that has worked for me personally but a lot of people love it :)

I think it would be fine if for your 2nd week you stayed at a small amount of BP once a day - especially if you're weary of irritation. Then start to slowly increase it (maybe still the same small amount but twice a day). Just remember to go slowly with increasing the BP (don't suddenly start using the full amount) or it's likely that you'll just bring on a lot of irritation at once - not fun! :P Stick at it too - I've wanted to quit for a couple of different reasons but I'm glad I've stuck it out because I can see that the regimen is helping my skin. It just takes time - so patience is key also!

Good luck with it all :)

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 08/06/2013 2:46 am

Welcome to the regimen and the boards. To answer whether you can go slower in building up the use of BP, its a definite YES! You can build up as slowly as you like but just remember that its unlikely that you will start to fully clear until you are consistently applying the full amount of BP.

By building up more slowly it will give your sensitive skin a better chance to adjust to the BP.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress :)

MemberMember
(@runningmom)

Posted : 08/07/2013 5:39 pm

DAY 3

I also updated the first post with pictures since I finally got them off my phone.

So far I am doing okay with the regimen. I like the cleanser (I use Dan's). It goes on nice and smooth, it does leave my skin feeling a little tight though, but not horribly so. This is my first week so I am still using a pea size amount of the benzoyl peroxide and it's going fine so far. Then I apply the 2 pumps of the moisturizer (using Dan's). It takes forever for the moisturizer to sink into my skin and it leaves my face looking super slimy and yellow BUT I don't have any issues with severe dryness yet.

My husband says my face is looking a little red. My face it a little itchy as well but it still actually feels quite oily, which I'm assuming that will not last long.

My face goes through cycles of having more acne during some parts of the month and I think this part of the month is when I have the least. I have about 7 or so active acne pimples/small cysts total, and I also have a lot of hyperpigmentation, which makes it look like I have so many more zits than I really do.

I usually break out on my chin and cheeks the worst. My forehead is usually clear with the occasional zit here and there, and then I also break out around my temple area on both sides.

So far so good though, and I plan to continue. Not sure yet how much I will use next week. I think I may use it twice a day but I may still stay at the pea size for the morning and then again for the evening, then during the 3rd week go up again with the bp. We will see how the rest of the week goes.

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice! I hope to keep this log updated as best as I can!

Oh and for spf I think I am just going to mix a little bit of my Devita Spf 30 with Dan's moisturizer (it's non comedegenic and I know it doesn't break me out (well at least not so far, Ive been using it most of the summer and dont notice any extra zits from using it)

MemberMember
(@runningmom)

Posted : 08/08/2013 9:24 pm

DAY 4

I'm still only applying everything once a day since I'm still in week 1. I also apply it mid day for the moment (have been since I started) instead of at night because I sleep on my stomach (bad habit that is hard to change) so I wanted to give my skin more time with it on before I wiped a lot of it onto my pillowcase...

Went for a run this morning then got back and did the cleanser, pea size amount of bp, and the moisturizer. I got side tracked after applying the bp and so I didn't apply the moisturizer until like an hour later, oops. My husband thinks the moisturizer looks like banana pudding and he asked me why I was putting banana pudding on my face. Thanks husband.

Anyway before the moisturizer my face felt a little tight/dry and my cheeks are red (not sure if it's from the BP, or getting some sun during my run, or both). After 2 pumps moisturizer my face felt fine and now tonight my face feels a little oily (especially my chin area).

Today I have about 6-7 active pimples/small cysts. Two of them are pretty small which I am happy about. This week during the "month" is usually when my face is the clearest though, so I'm assuming I will get a lot more zits later this week or into next week.

I actually have no zits on my chin which never happens. Just a lot of hyperpigmentation from all my old ones. I have 1 on each temple, 2 small ones right above my lip on either side, one small cyst on my jaw line, and one on my right cheek near my ear. Then of course a lot of hyperpigmentation on my cheeks, which I also have some hyperpigmentation on my temples too. Not really anything on my forehead though.

So far so good, feeling oily but I assume the BP will soon kick in and take care of that for me, especially next week when I up the dosage to 2x a day!

How is everybody else doing on their regimen?

MemberMember
(@runningmom)

Posted : 08/09/2013 9:16 pm

DAY 5

Went for a run this morning and put on some devita spf sunscreen/moisturizer. Yeah that came off really fast and didn't look too pretty. I probably won't use that, I need to find another sunscreen for my face, any suggestions??

Today was another good day. I still have the same amount of zits as yesterday. I had a teeny tiny one on my nose but it's gone now. I applied the regimen today after my run and shower which was about 10am. So now its almost 10pm and my face is feeling greasy and it's still red (although I'm still not sure if it's from being in the sun while running or from the bp or both). I'm almost finished with week 1 and on Monday I will start using bp twice a day. I'm going to use a pea size amount in the morning and then again in the evening. Not sure what I'm supposed to use the 3rd week. Guess I need to go check.

How is everybody else doing on the regimen?

MemberMember
(@runningmom)

Posted : 08/13/2013 3:22 pm

Day 9

So far so good. I just started week 2 yesterday so I am now up to a pea size amount of bp in the morning and again at night. I am still of course using the cleanser and the moisturizer as recommended. My face is starting to become a little dry and it's a tiny bit red but other that that there are no issues. I haven't gotten any new bumps on my face since last week and my bumps I had last week are healing nicely(but I'm still expecting that some will show up this week because it can't work that fast can it?)

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 08/14/2013 12:49 am

Day 9

So far so good. I just started week 2 yesterday so I am now up to a pea size amount of bp in the morning and again at night. I am still of course using the cleanser and the moisturizer as recommended. My face is starting to become a little dry and it's a tiny bit red but other that that there are no issues. I haven't gotten any new bumps on my face since last week and my bumps I had last week are healing nicely(but I'm still expecting that some will show up this week because it can't work that fast can it?)

The redness and dry skin is expected. If it gets too uncomfortable, try incorporating some jojoba oil into your regimen. Mixing it in with the moisturizer really made a difference for me.

For some people the regimen can actually work THAT fast. I had no such luck though. I stopped getting bumps for a couple of days then during the 4th and 5th week, my face exploded with about 10-15 zits. The good news is, they do go away. It's all about patience with this regimen and giving it time to work its magic.

MemberMember
(@runningmom)

Posted : 08/14/2013 10:53 am

I may have to go get some jojoba oil if it gets too dry, but so far it's okay especially once I add the moisurizer (we'll see how it is at the end of the week since I've only been on the 2x a day for 2 days)

I got another bump on my nose today but no others yet. I guess it will be a good test when it's time for my hormonal acne to show up for the month, which should be soon. I'm hoping to give it a good go for at least 3 months to see how it works for me. I am so bad at starting and stopping things. I tried some natural products for a month though and saw no difference and then bought some of this to try. I did use the natural products every day but only for a month. I didn't know it can take longer than a month sometimes for skin to react but this is seeming to work better than that stuff so far anyway (for me at least).I do want to give this a try for 3 months though since that is the recommended time to try it out (or is it 6 months??) lol.

My sister-in-laws wedding will be in October and I'm hoping to have decent skin my then. I hate putting on make up so I rarely wear any but I do feel self conscious about my skin flaws when I'm out in public. I'd love to not worry about that anymore.

MemberMember
(@runningmom)

Posted : 08/15/2013 11:37 am

Day 11

I'm still in week 2, applying everything 2x per day (pea size amount of benzoyl each time) and my face is doing great so far. It does get a little dry until I put on the moisturizer but it's nothing too bad at all, so far. I asked my husband if he thought my face was better and he says he doesn't see any zits on my face which was awesome. I do have a few (one on my nose) and some leftover from last week that are pretty much flat now. It looks neat to look in the mirror and not see a bajillion marks on my face. I still have the hyperpigmentation, so if I can get rid of that, that would be amazing. I hope it keeps working like it is because so far so good.

Does anybody know off hand how much benzoyl you are supposed to use in week 3? I am using the squeeze tube and not the pump. Is it half a fingers length 2 times a day or is that too much and how thick do you make the line? Then is it 1 finger's length for week 4?

MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 08/16/2013 5:15 pm

Good luck Ashley!

I've been on the Regimen for a few months now and it has literally saved my skin, couldn't be happier with the results. That's really awesome that you're a marathon runner. :)

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 08/16/2013 8:47 pm

Day 11

I'm still in week 2, applying everything 2x per day (pea size amount of benzoyl each time) and my face is doing great so far. It does get a little dry until I put on the moisturizer but it's nothing too bad at all, so far. I asked my husband if he thought my face was better and he says he doesn't see any zits on my face which was awesome. I do have a few (one on my nose) and some leftover from last week that are pretty much flat now. It looks neat to look in the mirror and not see a bajillion marks on my face. I still have the hyperpigmentation, so if I can get rid of that, that would be amazing. I hope it keeps working like it is because so far so good.

Does anybody know off hand how much benzoyl you are supposed to use in week 3? I am using the squeeze tube and not the pump. Is it half a fingers length 2 times a day or is that too much and how thick do you make the line? Then is it 1 finger's length for week 4?

I use a tube BP too (though it's not Dan's one unfortunately) From memory I was using around half a fingers length in week 3 and twice a day and then got to the full length at some point in week 4. But don't be in a rush to be using the full amount by week 4 if you think it might be too much too fast for your skin. I think on the regimen instructions page there are photos of Dan showing the dosage so that might help you get an idea of how thick to make the line?

Good to hear you're still going strong - keep at it :)

MemberMember
(@runningmom)

Posted : 08/18/2013 10:12 pm

Thanks everybody! Great to hear encouragement and that it is working for others! And thanks for following my log, it helps to have others chime in every once in a while :]!

DAY 14

Tomorrow I will have been on the regimen for 2 weeks. My face is finally catching up to all the benzoyl peroxide I guess. It is starting to get a little flaky but it's still not horrible or anything. My cheeks are red and my nose area as well (which I figured would happen, my cheeks turn red when I use anything to treat my face pretty much). My 5 year old niece asked me if I got a sun burn and why lol. I think the increased redness (or maybe it's the flaking?) is causing my face to burn when I put on the benzoyl peroxide and then again when I put on the moisturizer. This just started recently so I'm guessing it has to do with one of those 2 things. It quits burning after a few minutes though, so I can tolerate it. Tomorrow I will increase my dosage for the start of week 3 (can't believe I'll already be in week 3!!). I think I am going to do a half a fingers length in the morning and a pea size amount at night for 3 days, then after 3 days I will increase it to the half a fingers length 2 times a day, maybe that will give my face a little time to work up to the larger amount of benzoyl (but only 3 days) so not too far off schedule. Then in week 4 I think I will do the first 3 days as one full fingers length in the AM/half fingers length in the pm, and then after the first 3 days I will go to the full fingers length twice a day.

As for my acne, I have 2 cysts (hate cysts!) that I can feel are about to show up (I can feel them when I'm applying the regimen) and then I have 4-5 small pimples in some places. Still pretty good for me I think.

My sister is being induced to have her baby tomorrow so I am going out of town (taking my regimen with me!) and I will update again once back and hopefully my face will still be handling the regimen okay and still making improvements biggrin.png

EDIT TO ADD: My sister had her baby (a little boy, woohoo!)

Also to add that my cysts that I felt never grew any bigger!! That night after I applied my treatment I thought they would get huge my the next morning and they were actually smaller and never really came to the surface like they normally would, so VERY happy about that!

MemberMember
(@runningmom)

Posted : 08/26/2013 9:01 pm

DAY 22

Today starts week 4 for me! I think I have 4-5 active marks right now on my face, so I'm still getting acne but it is not as much as it usually is when I wasn't on the Regimen. The first 3 days of week 3 I used half a finger's worth of benzoyl peroxide in the morning and a pea size in the evening. Then the other 4 days of week 3, I used half a fingers length morning and night (along with Dan's cleanser and moisurizer). My cheeks are fine but my chin, above my lips, my temples, between my eyebrows, and some of my forehead are getting flaky. I try to just fix that by adding a little more moisturizer there when I need it. Also I'm not burning anymore. That just happened 1 or 2 times last week, but hasn't happened again since. Who knows, lol.

Now I'm in week 4 and this week I plan to use 3/4 finger length benzoyl peroxide in the morning and then 1/2 finger's length in the pm for the first 3 days of this week, then up the pm amount to 3/4 length on the 4th day of week 4. I feel it just gives my skin a little more time to get used to the BP.

Week 5 I will move up to a full finger's length in the AM and 3/4 finger length in pm for 3 days, then the full finger's length in the pm from there on out. So by the end of week 5 I should be using full finger's length every morning and evening.

QUESTIONS:

How long did it take for your flaking to go away once you were built up all the way on the benzoyl peroxide? How long did it take until you were completely clear? ALSO I am using the tube and not the pump. A full finger's length morning and night is the right amount for anything after month 1 correct? I don't go to 2 finger's lengths right?? I keep getting it confused with the pump video (where you build up to 2 pumps am and again at pm).

Overall I am happy with the results so far and just ordered more products so I don't run out! Hopefully once I'm all the way built up on the benzoyl peroxide and my face quits flaking then I hopefully will have even more success. I also think I may try the AHA. Just not sure when yet.

MemberMember
(@runningmom)

Posted : 09/03/2013 9:47 am

Started week 5 yesterday!

Week 4 overview

I did week 4 with 3/4 finger length of benzoyl peroxide morning and night. My face is still flaking and I don't mind moving up slowly so I stayed at 3/4 finger length 2x a day for week 4. I don't think it really makes me red and the only time that it burns my face is if I don't wait long enough between applying the cleanser and the bp, or the bp and the moisturizer. I find that if I let everything completely dry, I have no problems with burning whatsoever. I am using 1 pump of the cleanser, 3/4 finger length bp, and 2 pumps of the moisturizer 2 times per day at this point. Just ordered more product and it should be here today or tomorrow hopefully!

As for how the regimen is working for me...it's working great! Yesterday started week 5 and I felt all over my face while applying the regimen this morning and guess how many pimples/zits/etc I have on my face?! Just ONE! I am so excited :] The only side effect that I really seem to have now is the flaky skin, but I'm hoping my skin will eventually get used to the benzoyl peroxide and then it won't flake anymore.

When did you start AHA? I may get that when I run out of product again so I'll be 2+ months in by then. How did you apply the AHA? Mix half and half with your moisturizer?

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 09/04/2013 12:38 am

Good to hear the regimen is already working so well for you!! :) And only one pimple! Woohooo :P

That's good that you've found a way around the burning feeling too. I've found that once you get to the full amount of BP, aren't increasing it anymore and have let your skin adjust to that amount, you don't have issues with the burning feeling at all anymore (it's been like that for me anyway).

Have you tried jojoba oil for flakes at all?

I don't use the acne.org products / AHA - but I started using the product I have with AHA in it at around 6 weeks I think it was. Though I haven't been using it consistently yet

I'm still not sure on the best way to use it. Some people say they use it before BP, others say they use it after BP and before moisturiser... Hopefully you find some advice that's more helpful regarding AHA use :P I'll have to look into it myself also.

MemberMember
(@runningmom)

Posted : 09/04/2013 9:52 pm

I am pleasantly surprised so far with how this is working for me. I haven't tried any of the jojoba oil for my flakes. I know it probably could help though. Just trying to cut money where I can and I am a stay at home mom for the moment so I don't go in public TOO much for other people to see. So far I've just been applying a little bit more moisturizer when I get too flaky. I am also a little nervous to use jojoba oil. I've read that it's so close to our skins oil but I tried coconut oil on my face a couple months back and that was HORRIBLE for me lol, so if I don't have to add the jojoba oil I will try to do without and deal with the flakes. They don't show too bad when I add moisturizer luckily. I may would use it though if I was working or had to be in public more often.

I think I will try some of the AHA for my next months products. I have also heard the before BP and then others say after BP. I guess I will just try trial and error. I do know it said to start really slowly and only 1-2 times a week at first I think. I read some people use it daily though once worked up to it. I wonder how sensitive it will make my skin to the sun though, hopefully I can protect it.

If you find out which way AHA works best for you, let me know :] It'll be 4-5 weeks before I get to try it out.

MemberMember
(@runningmom)

Posted : 09/13/2013 10:12 pm

Week 5 Overview:

Still used about 3/4 finger length(thick line) of the benzoyl peroxide 2x a day along with the cleanser and the moisturizer. I am probably not as gentle about putting it on as I was when I first started. Last week at the beginning I believe I had 1 blemish on my face. I also ended up getting 2 small ones on my left cheek and a super annoying one right on my lip line!! (Never get those, so that was annoying!) My face isn't really red anymore. It does still get a little flaky, but it's not that bad. My small 2 blemishes on my cheek are gone now and I only have the one on my lip at the moment. My face is starting to feel nice and smooth! I still have hyper-pigmentation marks that make it look like I have more marks than I do though :[ This regimen is working well for me though I believe!

Week 6

I actually started week 6 on Monday and now it's Friday night, so I'm almost done with week 6 as well! I haven't had any new pimples yet this week (just recovering from the one on my lip line, and the 2 small ones I had on my left cheek). So that is exciting! Usually this week into next week would be the time of month I get the most acne, last month went pretty well with that though and I didn't get nearly as many as I did before I started the regimen. I hope this month is the same!

Also I purchased the 8oz kit of the cleanser, bp, and the moisturizer and I am almost to week 7 and am still using that first kit! I have my second one here waiting. I think I will run out of moisturizer first but I have enough cleanser for another week or 2(possibly 3)--I only use one pump of the cleanser since it suds up so well. I also started only using one pump of the moisturizer as well. My face isn't too crazy flaky either. Occasionally if I feel it is too flaky, I will add a little more to my face. This helps my regimen kit to last longer. I think after I go through my 2nd kit, I will get the 16oz kit and hopefully that will last me a good while! I think I'll also try the AHA with my kit next time as well. Hopefully it will treat me well!

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 09/13/2013 11:31 pm

Sounds like things are going really well :) Hope it continues that way for you!

MemberMember
(@rosamay116)

Posted : 05/18/2014 7:51 pm

I had acne very similar to yours for years, before realising that it was actually the result of a fluoride allergy, caused by toothpaste. After I swapped to fluoride-free toothpaste, my acne cleared up within a month or so. Honestly, please please give it a go!