Notifications
Clear all

Has Anyone Tried Aczone?

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/05/2013 1:44 pm

I just went to my dermatologist today and she gave me a few sample products to try out. I got a sample of aczone gel which I am going to start using tonight. I wanted to know if anyone has used this and if they had an initial breakout in the beginning? The package says to use it twice a day, but I am going to only use it once a day, every other day, to ease it into my skincare routine. I have light acne and my skin can be sensitive.

MemberMember
(@maskedone)

Posted : 08/05/2013 1:53 pm

I've tried it. I think it also depends on what type of acne you have. My old derm gave it to me because I think it was the "new" product they were promoting. My new derm - I switched - said that it would take 8-12 weeks to really see significant improvement. I have severe acne though so it could be more beneficial to someone with mild/moderate acne. I used Differin for years and like it, along with Retin-A Micro, which I still use. I use the Retin-A sparingly though because it is strong.

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/05/2013 2:05 pm

Did you notice any changes in your skin within the first week of using it, good or bad?

MemberMember
(@maskedone)

Posted : 08/06/2013 9:43 am

It seemed to decrease the size of any breakout (non-cystic), but also turned light brown/orange-ish on my skin. It looked odd (even over makeup), so I stopped using it.

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/13/2013 7:03 pm

Thanks for the reply, MaskedOne. I tried it for one night but I didn't like the feel of it, so I stopped using it. My dermatologist also gave me a 10% sulfur wash which I like and I will continue to use. Sulfur works so well for my skin, but I was hoping aczone would also, so that I would have an acne gel to use instead of just a wash. Oh well, whatever does the job.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/13/2013 8:35 pm

MaskedOne, are you using BP? That will cause your skin to turn a yellowish orange if you're using it in conjunction with Aczone.

Thanks for the reply, MaskedOne. I tried it for one night but I didn't like the feel of it, so I stopped using it. My dermatologist also gave me a 10% sulfur wash which I like and I will continue to use. Sulfur works so well for my skin, but I was hoping aczone would also, so that I would have an acne gel to use instead of just a wash. Oh well, whatever does the job.

I wouldn't stop using the Aczone. It does take 8-12 weeks to work, so I'm still awaiting the miracle clearing I was promised. But, I have also had no adverse side effects from using it. The trick it to only use a pea-sized amount for your whole face (or just the problem areas), you must wait at least 20-30 minutes before applying anything on top it, and make sure you are gently rubbing it into your skin for better absorption. Don't just let it sit on top of your skin. It's one of the newer, but definitely gentler products out for acne right now. I have had some results, for example I no longer get enlarged papules on my forehead and my face is somewhat less oily. Even though, I'm not 100% with this product, I would give it a shot. I haven't found a downside to using it.

Best of Luck! :)

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/13/2013 9:35 pm

MaskedOne, are you using BP? That will cause your skin to turn a yellowish orange if you're using it in conjunction with Aczone.

I wouldn't stop using the Aczone. It does take 8-12 weeks to work, so I'm still awaiting the miracle clearing I was promised. But, I have also had no adverse side effects from using it. The trick it to only use a pea-sized amount for your whole face (or just the problem areas), you must wait at least 20-30 minutes before applying anything on top it, and make sure you are gently rubbing it into your skin for better absorption. Don't just let it sit on top of your skin. It's one of the newer, but definitely gentler products out for acne right now. I have had some results, for example I no longer get enlarged papules on my forehead and my face is somewhat less oily. Even though, I'm not 100% with this product, I would give it a shot. I haven't found a downside to using it.

Best of Luck! smile.png

Thanks for your input Rosalie324! In a month or two when my skin gets used to the sulfur wash, I'll give the aczone a try. Sulfur acne products have really helped my skin and so, I'd rather start with a product that I know will help me, than to start with a 50/50 product (even though it sounds good).