Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
John457

Thinking Of Starting A Juicing Cleanse/detox For Acne? Is It Worth It? Also, What About Probiotics?

So I just watched the documentary on Netflix, "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead," and while I am far from being overweight, the success stories really inspired me to perhaps begin my own detox program for improved overall health. I know there has been at least one thread on this site where someone reported having tremendous success with juicing.

Anyway, has anyone ever tried this? Does it work? I've read that some experience an initial breakout most presumably from the body eliminating toxins through the skin. But this seems like a small price to pay for cleansing the body. Here are some of my questions:

1. Are there any juicing programs or over-the-counter juices anyone recommends? I know just straight juicing is probably the cheapest way to go but it's not super convenient when you're in a rush. Has anyone ever heard of BluePrintCleanse? This looks like a very reputable juicing program but it's very expensive ($400 for 6 days). I drink one bottle of juice from Bottlehouse Farms every morning but I know they don't have a lot of actual juice content. Also, most of their drinks are all fruit, as opposed to vegetables.

2. For someone who is thin and relatively healthy, how often would I need to juice? Once every morning? Would I need to juice fast - as in only consume juice for several days? Is a week sufficient?

3. What about Probiotics? I was taking them a few months ago and saw absolutely no change in my skin. Are they something I might want to consider again? If so, what brand and how much?

4. Has anyone heard of Probiotic Action? It's a topical cream with probiotics. From my understanding, it's relatively new on the market but based on recent research in the past few years. Has anyone tried this?

5. I don't drink alcohol, I don't smoke, I don't take drugs, I don't eat junk food, I try to avoid processed food as much as possible. Having said that, it's hard to understand why my skin is still cystic and oily. I mostly eat/drink: almond milk, natural fruit juices, organic cereals, organic yogurt, salads, whole wheat breads, water, chicken, fresh fruit, that kind of thing. What am I doing wrong? I'm thinking of scheduling a food allergy test and possibly an appointment with a nutritionist as well.

I'll answer your questions best I can:

1. It's best to do fresh juice. Bottled juices are not at all suitable for a cleanse. Don't do it unless you can do fresh juices. I'm not sure about the expensive juicing programs... it seems obvious that they are a total waste of money, but it of course depends on how rich you are. Some people are willing to pay a lot for convenience. If that's you, I'm not judging you. I certainly wouldn't though.

2. You can fast as long as you want, but I got the best results with juice fasts that lasted 5 days to 2 weeks. In my opinion, 1-2 days doesn't do much for you and you're going through a lot of hunger and suffering for nothing. But of course, you might feel differently. There is no set amount of juice per day. Juice whenever you want. Whenever you feel hungry.

3. I don't recommend probiotics. They broke me out badly and they break out a lot of other people too. Some people claim they help. I don't know if I just did too much or what. This is something that seems to affect a lot of people differently so you will just have to test the waters yourself.

4. Never heard of it.

5. Do you drink caffeine? Giving up caffeine was one of the things that made the biggest difference in my skin.

Hey John,

My mom does a lot of detox programs whenever her acne gets bad. Personally, I haven't tried any detox programs yet, but I can tell you that they definitely help. The key is choosing the right program for you.

1. Are there any juicing programs or over-the-counter juices anyone recommends?

I would usually recommend only doing fresh fruits. We have fruits and veggies that grow in our garden, so we eat a lot of fresh fruits/vegetables which has helped to reduce my acne from mild/severe to light/mild. Most store bought fruits are grown in bulk and therefore they take a lot of shortcuts to ensure that they can make a lot of money. An exception would be to buy organically grown fruits and veggies and juice them yourself.

However, as you said you're in a rush and need to most bang for your buck and time, the only bottled product I'd recommend is called Fusion, which mixes juices from a collection of wild fruits from around the world. Costs around 2$ per day.

2. For someone who is thin and relatively healthy, how often would I need to juice? Once every morning? Would I need to juice fast - as in only consume juice for several days? Is a week sufficient?

You can do it once every morning, or you can do a fast lasting a week or two. My mom's detoxes last around a week, and she does one every month I think.

3&4. Probiotics work well for some people, and don't for others. If you're going to get them, ensure you don't go for the cheap brands and their cultures may not be the most beneficial. I suggest eating probiotics rather than putting them on with a cream.

5. Try to get some veggies! A cheap and very beneficial one is sweet potatoes. Loads of vitamins, and extremely anti-inflammatory.

Juice veggies more than fruit, and try different combinations to see what works for you. Digestive enzymes can help you in case your stomach gets upset from the juice. Some people have trouble digesting juices, particularly fruit juices, so pay attention to your digestion while you are doing the cleanse. On an empty stomach, juices are easier to digest than with or after a meal.

I'm so glad that I found someone who is trying juicing method for acne. Is it working so far?

I'm planning on trying it.

I've been battling acne for a few years now. Some months are good, some months are very bad.

Today I came across the book "Toxic Relief" by Don Colbert, MD which explains toxins built-up and the importance of fasting. One of the fasting methods is juicing.

He explains what veggies and fruits should be used for different types illnesses, disorders and etc. Recipes are included as well.

Also I found the website just juice.org with a few juice recipes specifically for acne.

Let me know if you are trying juicing and how it's working out for you.

Acne is not an internal sickness. There for "juicing" and detoxing is honestly not necessary. Acne is partially an endocrine disorder, and partially a disorder of the way the hair follicle sheds (which is genetic). The best diet by far to follow would be a diabetic diet if any.