Notifications
Clear all

I Want Perfect Skin.. Or As Near As.

MemberMember
(@daniel-cook)

Posted : 08/05/2013 3:57 am

Ok 'perfect skin' is a tall order, and I'll probably be disappointed if I raise my sights too high.

I'm 30 now, in my time I've had 3 rounds of Roaccutane for treating acne - which helped considerably at the time, but did not seem to have a long term affect. Unless you count, that now I'm older I'm a lot less prone to acne - however I still get it, occasionally on my face and constant chest acne.

I've attached a photo, it was after a shower on a hot day.. and the lighting is purposefully harsh - so pores and imperfections are highly visible.

I would love to reduce my pores considerably, remove a few scars / craters and to stop having acne completely!

I've started compiling a list of treatments based on some google searches.

• Intradermal Botox
  • Chemical Peel
  • Laser Treatment
  • Products

Does anyone have any recommendations?

post-214648-0-38236000-1375692830_thumb.

post-214648-0-38236000-1375692830_thumb.

MemberMember
(@daniel-cook)

Posted : 08/05/2013 4:35 am

After reading the sticky

I'm thinking I should start off with a good skin regimen - and order some decent products on-line.

Prioritising results over cost.

I could get BHA - Paula's Choice

Jan Marini products

any advice on what I need to complete a skin cleaning regimen?

*Moderator edit, URLs removed please read the board rules*

MemberMember
(@midwestgirlinthecity)

Posted : 08/05/2013 6:24 am

Paula's Choice is great, but I think there are too many actives in each of her products for my sensitive skin. I've used it for years, however, I think I am allergic to the BHA because I've been breaking out the whole time.

I have been trying the Regimen with success the past 4 days using the products Dan recommends from the drug store. I use the Olay Cleanser, Neutrogena Moisturizer for Combo Skin (night), Olay Complete SPF15 (day), and Neutrogena One the Spot. I have already ordered the Acne.org product line, but think I will continue to use Olay Complete as a sunscreen.

I think you're right to get a good routine going before getting more costly procedures done. Your skin will recover faster from those procedures if it's as healthy as it can be.

MemberMember
(@daniel-cook)

Posted : 08/05/2013 6:44 am

In my continued research I came across this set, though wasn't sure why it was 'for men' as there is an alternative 'normal/combination' skin option too..

Jan Marini

• Step 1 Cleanse C-Esta Cleansing Gel 178ml
  • Step 2 Rejuvenate C-Esta Face Serum 29.5ml
  • Step 3 Resurface Bioglycolic Bioclear Face Lotion 28ml
  • Step 4 Hydrate Age Intervention Peptide Extreme 29ml
  • Step 5 Protect Antioxidant Daily Face Protectant SPF30 56g

*Moderator edit, URL removed please read the board rules*

MemberMember
(@daniel-cook)

Posted : 08/05/2013 8:54 am

I got feedback from the people from that website that recommended the normal/combi pack + retinol plus. Looking forward to getting this started. Here are the details if anyone's interested.

Cleanse

Bioglycolic Face Cleanser (8 oz.)

Rejuvenate

C-ESTA Face Serum (1 oz.)

Resurface

Bioglycolic Bioclear Lotion (1 oz.)

Hydrate

Transformation Face Cream (1 oz.)

Protect

Antioxidant Daily Face Protectant SPF 33 (2 oz.)

Jan Marini Antioxidant Daily Face Protectant SPF 33

Antioxidant Daily Face Protectant SPF 33 ensures continuous coverage for daily or extended exposure conditions with a broad spectrum SPF 33 rating. This non-greasy protectant gives facial skin a soft, silky, conditioner effect as it aids in increasing and sustaining moisture content for all skin types. Antioxidant Daily Face Protectant SPF 33 is also available in three gorgeous tints: Sunkissed Sand, Sunkissed Neutral, and Sunkissed Bronze. Our "Sunkissed" colors have been created with skin friendly iron oxide minerals that will beautifully enhance virtually any skin tone.

• Waterproof
  • Oil-free, velvety matte finish
  • Contains Nayad
  • May be used with any other topical therapies or moisturisers

Jan Marini Transformation Face Cream

Jan Marini Transformation Skin Cream is made with a powerful anti-ageing technology that is tailored to rebuild and repair damaged cells that help maintain and augment the appearance of youthful, healthy skin. It is a light emollient cream that is suitable for any skin type and absorbs immediately, leaving the skin looking silky and refined. It's also great for decreasing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.

• Stimulates and enhances skin rejuvenation and repair
  • Peptides TGF-1 and Thymosin-4 rebuild and rejuvenate skin
  • Supports healing and repair. Excellent for post-procedure
  • Superb moisturizing base
  • Leaves the skin with a visibly smoother silky-feeling surface
  • Antioxidants, beta-glucan and natural extracts protect against sun damage
  • Results are rapid and dramatic

Jan Marini Bioclear Lotion

Bioclear Lotion (full name Jan Marini Bioglycolic Bioclear Acne Treatment Facial Lotion) is a remarkable product that targets a number of multifaceted concerns uniquely experienced by adults. Bioclear Lotion utilizes a combination of Glycolic Acid, Salicylic Acid and Azelaic Acid for exceptional benefits ranging from adult acne and acne discoloration to the appearance of texture/fine lines, wrinkles, acne scarring, discoloration from sun damage, and enlarged follicles.

Bioclear Lotion provides dramatic resurfacing and retexturizing benefits on any skin type resulting in measurably smoother, clearer and younger looking skin. Oilier-skinned patients will love the immediate absorption and light silky serum feel of Bioclear Lotion.

• Light lotion texture is rapidly absorbed leaving the skin with a soft, silky texture
  • Resurfaces skin for a dramatically softer & smoother looking texture
  • Significantly lessens the appearance of fine lines & wrinkles
  • Overall skin hydration is increased
  • Increased skin luminosity
  • Evens the appearance of skin tone

Jan Marini C-ESTA Serum

Jan Marini C-ESTA Serum contains DMAE, which dramatically rejuvinates the skin. The skin's appearance will become smoother and suppler and will feel firmer and much more resillient. Facial contours will appear tighter and more defined, whereas deeper lines will appear less pronounced. Skin tones will also even out, making the skin's appearance noticeably younger and healthier.

• Lipid soluble Vitamin C increases skin absorption
  • Stable form of Vitamin C for increased shelf-life and efficacy
  • Encourages increased Vitamin E production in the skin
  • Neutral pH provides non-irritating anti-inflammatory properties
  • Increases skin elasticity and resiliency
  • Skin will appear measurably firmer
  • Facial contours will appear tighter and more defined
  • Overall appearance of more youthful and rejuvenated

Jan Marini Bioglycolic Face Cleanser

With glycolic acid is a gentle cleanser suitable for all skin types. This formula is soap free, non-irritating, and rinses completely without the need for a post-cleansing toner or astringent. Our thorough deep-cleansing product also contains sorbitol, a natural humectant derived from berries, that leaves the skin soft and hydrated.

• Excellent cleanser for all skin types
  • Contains glycolic acid as a follicular cleansing aid and resurfacing agent
  • Enhances the benefits of other glycolic acid products
  • Thorough and deep cleansing action
  • Excellent for acne-prone skin
  • Naturally derived humectants leave skin soft and hydrated

Jan Marini Age Intervention Retinol Plus

The most aggressive levels of stabilized all-trans-retinol are synergistically combined with advanced topical agents to maximize efficacy while simultaneously decreasing or even eliminating acclimation/irritation concerns.

Age Intervention Retinol PLUS is significantly more than a retinol product.

Especially formulated to utilize the maximum amount of all-trans-retinol PLUS anti-aging and collagen boosting peptides, antioxidants, hydrators and skin soothing ingredients.

MemberMember
(@daniel-cook)

Posted : 08/28/2013 10:41 am

I bought the Jan Marini normal/combi pack + retinol plus - total cost £260!

I'm in a quandary of what to do now :) it's been very good for my skin - after the initial flare up it's become really quite clear.. which begs the question when I run out - do I keep forking out the money to keep it going!

eusa_think.gif

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 08/28/2013 8:06 pm

Your skin looks normal.

Almost every man out there have oily and big pores

Look around.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/28/2013 10:29 pm

Um, mate... Where and what's the problem? You have pores. So does the rest of the breathing population! I'm not trying to sound insensitive at all, I'm just surprised that your skin is even a bother to you!

Best thing to lessen the appearance and size of pores is BHA+. Paula's Choice 2% Salicylic Acid Clarifying Serum I believed was mentioned above... That's your best bet. It takes time to see results, but that's the least invasive way to clear up the "problem". Last thing you want to do is irritate your skin and cause an actual skin condition!

MemberMember
(@daniel-cook)

Posted : 08/29/2013 5:14 am

Your skin looks normal.

Almost every man out there have oily and big pores

Look around.

MemberMember
(@midwestgirlinthecity)

Posted : 08/29/2013 6:14 am

I know what you mean about the large pores! I hate having "orange peel" skin. Good for you for finding a skin regime that works! If it works you should probably stick with it. Have you thought about using Retin-A or Differin? Your co-pay might be cheaper than the Marini skin care line.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/29/2013 10:33 am

I gotcha... well it's certainly a good thing that you managed to find a skin care regimen that works for you! Scars will eventually fade over time, but if you look on the Scars/Ref Marks Treatment forum, you'll find different ways to manage/rid yourself of that. Top treatments are TCA Peel, Dermarolling, Bio Oil, and Emu Oi. I guess it depends on what type of scarring you have to which method you would choose!

I still would say give the BHA+ a go! Helps with acne, acne scars, dark marks, and reducing pore size!

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/29/2013 2:06 pm

Ok 'perfect skin' is a tall order, and I'll probably be disappointed if I raise my sights too high.

I'm 30 now, in my time I've had 3 rounds of Roaccutane for treating acne - which helped considerably at the time, but did not seem to have a long term affect. Unless you count, that now I'm older I'm a lot less prone to acne - however I still get it, occasionally on my face and constant chest acne.

I've attached a photo, it was after a shower on a hot day.. and the lighting is purposefully harsh - so pores and imperfections are highly visible.

I would love to reduce my pores considerably, remove a few scars / craters and to stop having acne completely!

• Intradermal Botox
  • Chemical Peel
  • Laser Treatment
  • Products

I use a clarisonic face brush and it has made a huge difference in my skin. It's expensive, but worth every penny. My skin is smooth, clear and the pore size has been slashed in half. Since you said that your acne is mainly under control from the regimen, the clarisonic would help with your skin texture, and refining the pores and bumps.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/29/2013 2:52 pm

• Intradermal Botox
  • Chemical Peel
  • Laser Treatment
  • Products

I use a clarisonic face brush and it has made a huge difference in my skin. It's expensive, but worth every penny. My skin is smooth, clear and the pore size has been slashed in half. Since you said that your acne is mainly under control from the regimen, the clarisonic would help with your skin texture, and refining the pores and bumps.

Does the clarisonic really make that huge of a difference? I heard that the Olay version works in the exact same way, it's just a tenth of the cost. How long did it take you to see results after beginning to use it?

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/29/2013 5:00 pm

• Intradermal Botox
  • Chemical Peel
  • Laser Treatment
  • Products

Does the clarisonic really make that huge of a difference? I heard that the Olay version works in the exact same way, it's just a tenth of the cost. How long did it take you to see results after beginning to use it?

Rosalie, it has made a HUGE difference. There is an olay and a proactiv brush, but they don't work the same way as the clarisonic. December of 2012 I had moderate acne (mainly whiteheads) with good sized pores, oily skin and the overall texture of my skin was bumpy. I also had a little bit of hyperpigmentation on my cheeks. After a week I noticed a slight difference, my skin felt much smoother. After 3 months my acne was less frequent and the bumps and hyperpigmentation on my cheeks was better. After 9 months (now) my skin is AMAZING. My pores are smaller and don't make my skin look "rough." My acne is very infrequent, only a little spot here and there. My skin used to have acne, no matter the time of month. Now, I only get a little spot during my time of the month, sometimes I don't even get one! My skin looks a ton better! It's been 9 months, and I can honestly say that is what made a huge difference in my skin overall, not just the acne. 7 weeks ago I started the clinique dark spot corrector which has been helping with little bits of hyperpigmentation and I started a sulfur wash about 3 weeks ago, which has helped any bit of acne. For about 6 months, I used the exact same products, and the only thing I changed was using the clarisonic. My skin looks amazing now. It's expensive, but it is TOTALLY worth it.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/29/2013 8:03 pm

• Intradermal Botox
  • Chemical Peel
  • Laser Treatment
  • Products

Rosalie, it has made a HUGE difference. There is an olay and a proactiv brush, but they don't work the same way as the clarisonic. December of 2012 I had moderate acne (mainly whiteheads) with good sized pores, oily skin and the overall texture of my skin was bumpy. I also had a little bit of hyperpigmentation on my cheeks. After a week I noticed a slight difference, my skin felt much smoother. After 3 months my acne was less frequent and the bumps and hyperpigmentation on my cheeks was better. After 9 months (now) my skin is AMAZING. My pores are smaller and don't make my skin look "rough." My acne is very infrequent, only a little spot here and there. My skin used to have acne, no matter the time of month. Now, I only get a little spot during my time of the month, sometimes I don't even get one! My skin looks a ton better! It's been 9 months, and I can honestly say that is what made a huge difference in my skin overall, not just the acne. 7 weeks ago I started the clinique dark spot corrector which has been helping with little bits of hyperpigmentation and I started a sulfur wash about 3 weeks ago, which has helped any bit of acne. For about 6 months, I used the exact same products, and the only thing I changed was using the clarisonic. My skin looks amazing now. It's expensive, but it is TOTALLY worth it.

I looked it up.. definitely think about investing in one of those! Do you use the acne SA cleanser that comes with it? I use Effaclar and would want to continue using that with the Clarisonic. Do you think that would be okay? I use very delicate buff puffs to wash my face anyways because I don't like my hands touching my face (OCD thing), so this would be a great alternative! Pricy, but I'll trust your judgment that it's worth it :P No pressure haha

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/30/2013 5:07 am

• Intradermal Botox
  • Chemical Peel
  • Laser Treatment
  • Products

I looked it up.. definitely think about investing in one of those! Do you use the acne SA cleanser that comes with it? I use Effaclar and would want to continue using that with the Clarisonic. Do you think that would be okay? I use very delicate buff puffs to wash my face anyways because I don't like my hands touching my face (OCD thing), so this would be a great alternative! Pricy, but I'll trust your judgment that it's worth it tongue.png No pressure haha

I don't use the cleanser that comes with the clarisonic. I used the Effaclar (same face wash as you) before I started the clarisonic and I didn't want to change my routine except using the clarisonic. Also, before I used the clarisonic I read reviews online about people breaking out from it. If you do get it, I suggest to start out using it once a day, every other day. The packaging says twice a day, every day, but I can definitely see how your skin could get angry from over use of exfoliation at first. Many people jump right into a product thinking it will be the holy grail so they overuse, but with this, if you take it slow, you will see positive results. Also, there are many different types of brushes, one for acne, deep pore, sensitive. I use the sensitive because it came with the christmas package I purchased, and this might be the best brush to start out with because it will be the softest on your skin.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/30/2013 3:10 pm

• Intradermal Botox
  • Chemical Peel
  • Laser Treatment
  • Products

I looked it up.. definitely think about investing in one of those! Do you use the acne SA cleanser that comes with it? I use Effaclar and would want to continue using that with the Clarisonic. Do you think that would be okay? I use very delicate buff puffs to wash my face anyways because I don't like my hands touching my face (OCD thing), so this would be a great alternative! Pricy, but I'll trust your judgment that it's worth it tongue.png No pressure haha

I don't use the cleanser that comes with the clarisonic. I used the Effaclar (same face wash as you) before I started the clarisonic and I didn't want to change my routine except using the clarisonic. Also, before I used the clarisonic I read reviews online about people breaking out from it. If you do get it, I suggest to start out using it once a day, every other day. The packaging says twice a day, every day, but I can definitely see how your skin could get angry from over use of exfoliation at first. Many people jump right into a product thinking it will be the holy grail so they overuse, but with this, if you take it slow, you will see positive results. Also, there are many different types of brushes, one for acne, deep pore, sensitive. I use the sensitive because it came with the christmas package I purchased, and this might be the best brush to start out with because it will be the softest on your skin.

That sounds like a good idea. I think I will be purchasing the Mia 2, with both the sensitive and acne heads. I think that I will do as you say and start using it once every other day. The reviews that i read saying that they "broke out" from the product, were those people who used the complete acne kit. Which is both the machine and the SA cleanser. I won't be changing my cleanser. so I"m too worried about an IB. I just dont want my skin to become irritated with me. I will start with the senstive brush for a couple weeks then maybe move to the acne brush if I feel it necessary.

I'll probably start a thread on the topic, because that's what I do whenever I add something to my regimen haha I make sure I get tons of feedback! Thank you so much for the suggestion! I've been tentative to purchase the Clarisonic, but now I feel more confident that it will yield positive results :)

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/30/2013 4:25 pm

• Intradermal Botox
  • Chemical Peel
  • Laser Treatment
  • Products

That sounds like a good idea. I think I will be purchasing the Mia 2, with both the sensitive and acne heads. I think that I will do as you say and start using it once every other day. The reviews that i read saying that they "broke out" from the product, were those people who used the complete acne kit. Which is both the machine and the SA cleanser. I won't be changing my cleanser. so I"m too worried about an IB. I just dont want my skin to become irritated with me. I will start with the senstive brush for a couple weeks then maybe move to the acne brush if I feel it necessary.

I'll probably start a thread on the topic, because that's what I do whenever I add something to my regimen haha I make sure I get tons of feedback! Thank you so much for the suggestion! I've been tentative to purchase the Clarisonic, but now I feel more confident that it will yield positive results smile.png

Yes, if start a thread on this topic, I'll be sure to go on that thread!!

MemberMember
(@daniel-cook)

Posted : 09/12/2013 2:22 am

So I got married on Saturday, having used the Jan Marini stuff for about a month.. I keep wondering if I'll wake up with a pimple - and to be honest if I start slacking on my face care I do..

No "photoshop" :) happy

9724206057_862e762f81_b.jpg
IMG_3862 by dancook1982, on Flickr
MemberMember
(@midwestgirlinthecity)

Posted : 09/14/2013 8:19 am

Good for you! Congratulations!