Notifications
Clear all

Help With Acne/hyperpigmentation/rosacea? (Pics)

MemberMember
(@john-needs-help)

Posted : 08/05/2013 12:50 am

So, I've been lurking around on this site for years, and FINALLY decided to make an account and ask for your help!

My story (in a nutshell):

I'm 21 now, and have been dealing with acne for about 5-6 years now. Back in my teenage days, I had really bad acne. My mother would pick at it (I know, gross and wrong), and now i'm stuck with all of these acne scars/hyperpigmentation/facial redness/I don't really know what it is. I still get pimples regularly, but i'm far more concerned about the marks they've left and continue to make. I've tried many different things to help alleviate the marks:

- fade creams

- apple cider vinegar

- AHA

- BP

- emu oil

- vitamin E

- cocoa butter

and so on, and so forth. Nothing seems to be working. I suppose the marks have improved slightly over the past 2-3 years, but i'm still in the same boat. I have very little confidence, and haven't been confident in years. This needs to change. There's a potential girlfriend in the picture now, and i'll be spending a few days with her in December. I would really like to see improvements come December.

I'd love to hear/read your input. Thanks for reading.

post-214633-0-38689300-1375681723_thumb.

post-214633-0-18387500-1375681819_thumb.

post-214633-0-38689300-1375681723_thumb.

post-214633-0-18387500-1375681819_thumb.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 08/05/2013 1:23 am

how long have u tried aha?

it definitely helps fasten the process of de-pigmentation.

but these things take time.

u gotta invest good amount of time.

dan's aha is great btw!

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 08/05/2013 2:08 am

I heard amazing things about Emu Oil for Rosacea and red marks.. was the stuff you used 100% pure? and how long did you use it for? and just curious, did you see any improvement from it?

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 08/05/2013 6:18 am

I'd recommend Retin-A (or something with Vitamin A in it) and your AHA's and BHA's for redness. Like others have suggested these things take a long time to resolve. I have a burn mark on my arm (was only a mild burn) and the redness is still there 6 months on. It's fading, but slowly... typically your redness will go away without needing any help but can take up to two years. With a little help you might be able to reduce this to 6-12 months but you need to use the products regularly and don't chop and change. :)

MemberMember
(@john-needs-help)

Posted : 08/05/2013 9:26 am

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I used Dan's AHA for about a year, with which I saw little to no improvement. The best product I've ever used has got to be Emu oil. It doesn't seem to do much for hyperpigmentation, but I feel like it really controls my acne. When i'm using Emu Oil, I don't get as many pimples, and it kind of eases the redness of my existing pimples. I'm looking for a product that will drastically help with hyperpigmentation.

Quirky Fox, is Retin-A prescribed? Or can you get it over the counter?

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 08/05/2013 11:47 am

I think your best bet is to manage the acne, thus preventing more red marks.. and once the acne is under control you can try a more aggressive therapy such a laser or chemical peels to really bring those red marks under control. Most of all hyperpigmentation does fade after several months to a year if you use proper exfoliation and soothing creams ect ect.. but like I said, you still have more agressive options if that doesn't work out for yah!

It's good to hear emu oil was helpful for acne and some one red marks, but how was it for overall skin rosacea? I'm just curious myself cause I have some on its way to me and I'm hoping it will help deal with the chemical irritation.

MemberMember
(@starlite)

Posted : 08/05/2013 1:46 pm

I took a prescribed pill for a while called Oracea that worked really well for both rosacea and acne. That way you can also use a topical like retin-a for your scarring and hyperpigmentation.

Also, be careful what you put into your body, what you eat has a big factor in triggering Rosacea. Avoid alcohol and spicy food for a while and see if that helps.

MemberMember
(@john-needs-help)

Posted : 08/05/2013 3:49 pm

Garret, my acne is pretty under control at this point. I get a few pimples every now and then, but that's too be expected; pimples are normal. I really like Emu oil. It's cheap, lasts a long long time, and is effective. Emu oil is not irritating AT ALL, so you should have no problem with it. It makes the skin feel soft and look generally better. I like to use it after an exfoliating cream.

I looked up the reviews for Retin-A, and I've noticed that the reviews are mixed. There are a lot more positive reviews for AHA and apple cider vinegar. Should I try AHA again? It's been a while since I've used it

MemberMember
(@john-needs-help)

Posted : 08/06/2013 3:40 pm

bump bump?

MemberMember
(@john-needs-help)

Posted : 08/09/2013 10:10 am

1 more bump :o

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 08/10/2013 10:12 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I used Dan's AHA for about a year, with which I saw little to no improvement. The best product I've ever used has got to be Emu oil. It doesn't seem to do much for hyperpigmentation, but I feel like it really controls my acne. When i'm using Emu Oil, I don't get as many pimples, and it kind of eases the redness of my existing pimples. I'm looking for a product that will drastically help with hyperpigmentation.

Quirky Fox, is Retin-A prescribed? Or can you get it over the counter?

Retin-A is is many creams and you can buy it over the counter in a stronger form, something like Stieva-A. If you do plan on using it though my advice is to start with a really small amount once every second night and work your way up from there. It can irritate the skin to begin with so ease yourself into it. I use an exceptionally strong Retin-A now with no worries. :)