Notifications
Clear all

Starting Accutane 14-Year-Old Boy

MemberMember
(@activemama2)

Posted : 08/04/2013 5:58 pm

Hi everyone,

After much thought and discussion we have started Accutane for our 14-year-old son. He took his first dose today (40 mg). I am wondering if we should have asked the doctor to start him at 20 mg to avoid some of the initial side effects like breaking out and dryness. Does anyone have experience taking the lower dose at first or just staying on a lower dose for a longer period of time? With school starting in 2 weeks, I'm so worried he will go back looking worse than he does right now (which is pretty bad). He realizes he may have to face some worsening of his acne before it gets better but the first of the year is hard for everyone.

I had some great responses to my last post when we were deciding whether or not to do this but any new comments are more than welcome. What side effects have you had? How did you manage them?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 08/04/2013 6:32 pm

Well first off I would keep him at 40mg a day. I think that is a good dose. I was on 70mg during my first course which I didnt have any problems with. His skin is probably going to get a bit worse in the beginning but its well worth it in the end. As far as side effects I really only had dry lips and skin and that was when I was on 70 mg. I actually just started my second course a few days ago on 40 mg. Well I wish him the best of luck!

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/04/2013 6:57 pm

How much does your son weigh?

What dose of Accutane the Dermatologist prescribes depends on several factors including:

• your Derm's personal approach to treatment
  • the guidelines in your country
  • the severity and location of your acne
  • your clinical response to the drug (whether it is working)
  • and how you tolerate its side effects

A dose of 0.5-1.0mg/kg/day is typical (although sometimes Derms go higher for severe and/or body acne).

There are additional meds you can get to combat the initial breakout: prednisone or an oral antibiotic called erythromycin. If you are worried about the initial breakout, I suggest you talk to the Dermatologist about these meds.

Other tips for your son:

• Drink 3-4 L of water per day to minimise Accutane-related dehydation
  • moisturise 2/3 times daily to minimise dry skin rashes common on Accutane
  • avoid the sun and don't tan; use sunblock when in the sun
  • don't drink alcohol
  • take the pills with food to maximise absorption
  • have lip balm ready

Good luck

MemberMember
(@activemama2)

Posted : 08/04/2013 7:15 pm

Well first off I would keep him at 40mg a day. I think that is a good dose. I was on 70mg during my first course which I didnt have any problems with. His skin is probably going to get a bit worse in the beginning but its well worth it in the end. As far as side effects I really only had dry lips and skin and that was when I was on 70 mg. I actually just started my second course a few days ago on 40 mg. Well I wish him the best of luck!

@CWR24...How long did the first round clear your skin before having to start the second round? How old were you when you did the first round? Thanks!

How much does your son weigh?

What dose of Accutane the Dermatologist prescribes depends on several factors including:

A dose of 0.5-1.0mg/kg/day is typical (although sometimes Derms go higher for severe and/or body acne).

There are additional meds you can get to combat the initial breakout: prednisone or an oral antibiotic called erythromycin. If you are worried about the initial breakout, I suggest you talk to the Dermatologist about these meds.

Other tips for your son:

• don't drink alcohol
  • have lip balm ready

Good luck

@biggs881...He weighs 118.5 lbs. Thanks for the advice. By the way, I noticed you have a pic of Ivan Basso for your Avatar. We are big cycling fans here too :)

@CWR24...How long did the first round clear your skin before having to start the second round? How old were you when you did the first round? Thanks!

>How much does your son weigh?

Other tips for your son:

• don't drink alcohol
  • have lip balm ready

Good luck

@biggs881...He weighs 118.5 lbs. Thanks for the advice. By the way, I noticed you have a pic of Ivan Basso for your Avatar. We are big cycling fans here too smile.png

Sorry, that is 53.5 kilograms.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/04/2013 7:28 pm

That's a good dose for him (0.75mg/kg/day) and within the normal range. If he can't tolerate the side effects at that dose, he can always reduce to 30mg/day or 20mg/day later on.

Ivan Basso is great - definitely supporting him for the Vuelta!

Good luck

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 08/04/2013 8:00 pm

i took my first course when I was 19. I wouldnt base anything off my results though because my circumstances after my course were not ideal to say the least. About a month after I finished I was deployed to Afghanistan and I would say about 6 months after my skin was doing pretty bad. I also was not using any treatments after and was not able to shower etc all the time.

MemberMember
(@2worriedmom)

Posted : 08/05/2013 9:13 am

Hi Activemama2, I hope all goes well for your son. I was in your shoes about 6 years ago. However, my son was only 13 when he started accutane.

I worried, obsessed and probably aged 10 years over that decision. Back then, I was on ACNE.org site for hours a day looking for information and opinions.

That being said, it is now 6 years later and my son's face is clear and perfect! BUT, I will tell you, it was a long road. Crazy as this sounds, I logged his progress and still have the log! It took months for his to improve.(I had a nephew who also was on accutane a few years ago...his acne improved in 6 weeks!) I absolutely believe my son would have scarred horribly had he not done the accutane.

One of my biggest concerns about accutane on such a young teen was the warning about growth being affected. My son is not as tall as he should be(5'8"...dad is 6'1") However, that problem presented itself at about age 11 when my son was diagnosed with precocious puberty...he basically started puberty at a very early age, thus, he stopped growing earlier than most. BEFORE he started accutane, he had a wrist xray, at that time, his growth plates were on their way to closing! However, AFTER the accutane months, he did grow another 2 inches.

Regarding side effects, honestly, dry lips were the main thing. My son played 3 sports back then and the accutane had no effect. I will tell you that I also did accutane back in the 80's and had a very positive experience so my attitude toward its success was very positive. as well.

I wish the best for your son!!!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@mbbento)

Posted : 08/05/2013 6:14 pm

Make sure he regularly swabs the inside of his nose with petroleum jelly or some other moisturizer. Accutane can potentially give you crazy nose bleeds. Overall though, it's a wonder drug.

MemberMember
(@activemama2)

Posted : 08/06/2013 1:23 pm

i took my first course when I was 19. I wouldnt base anything off my results though because my circumstances after my course were not ideal to say the least. About a month after I finished I was deployed to Afghanistan and I would say about 6 months after my skin was doing pretty bad. I also was not using any treatments after and was not able to shower etc all the time.

Thanks CWR24 :)

Hi Activemama2, I hope all goes well for your son. I was in your shoes about 6 years ago. However, my son was only 13 when he started accutane.

I worried, obsessed and probably aged 10 years over that decision. Back then, I was on ACNE.org site for hours a day looking for information and opinions.

That being said, it is now 6 years later and my son's face is clear and perfect! BUT, I will tell you, it was a long road. Crazy as this sounds, I logged his progress and still have the log! It took months for his to improve.(I had a nephew who also was on accutane a few years ago...his acne improved in 6 weeks!) I absolutely believe my son would have scarred horribly had he not done the accutane.

One of my biggest concerns about accutane on such a young teen was the warning about growth being affected. My son is not as tall as he should be(5'8"...dad is 6'1") However, that problem presented itself at about age 11 when my son was diagnosed with precocious puberty...he basically started puberty at a very early age, thus, he stopped growing earlier than most. BEFORE he started accutane, he had a wrist xray, at that time, his growth plates were on their way to closing! However, AFTER the accutane months, he did grow another 2 inches.

Regarding side effects, honestly, dry lips were the main thing. My son played 3 sports back then and the accutane had no effect. I will tell you that I also did accutane back in the 80's and had a very positive experience so my attitude toward its success was very positive. as well.

I wish the best for your son!!!!!!!!

Thank-you so much! These are exactly the same concerns I have and it's so nice to hear from another mom who's been there! I too have agonized and stressed about this decision and have spent many hours researching just like you! He already has some scarring and we knew it was time. He also tends to get pretty bad hyper-pigmentation after the zits have gone away, basically dark purple spots! I would like to get some IPL done to fade those but not sure we can do that during the Accutane treatment. Our family is not the tallest so I am worried about the growth thing. He is currently 5' 7 and I was thinking about getting the wrist x-ray to see how much taller he is supposed to get. He is eligible to compete in cross country this year since he's going into 9th grade but he elected to wait until next year, since he doesn't know how the Accutane will affect him. Again, thank you for your insight. It really helps me a lot! :)

MemberMember
(@2worriedmom)

Posted : 08/07/2013 11:31 am

Hi again Activemama2, I remember those dark spots left over from my sons acne. I referred to them as "scars" at the derm office. He told me they were not scars and would fade over time. I thought that seemed to good to be true considering how bad they were. BUT, honestly, though it took a long time...all have faded. I don't know much about IPL, but with accutane he just had a gentle wash like Cetaphyl and moisturizer...with and without sunblock....AND of course lip treatment...lots of it...I kept spares in my purse all the time in case he forgot it.

Again, best of luck!

MemberMember
(@activemama2)

Posted : 08/10/2013 1:18 am

Hi again Activemama2, I remember those dark spots left over from my sons acne. I referred to them as "scars" at the derm office. He told me they were not scars and would fade over time. I thought that seemed to good to be true considering how bad they were. BUT, honestly, though it took a long time...all have faded. I don't know much about IPL, but with accutane he just had a gentle wash like Cetaphyl and moisturizer...with and without sunblock....AND of course lip treatment...lots of it...I kept spares in my purse all the time in case he forgot it.

Again, best of luck!

Thank-you again. Good to know they will fade eventually. He is 6 days in and starting to get the dry lips and today he said his nose was feeling dry for the first time. I bought him some saline nasal spray to keep his nose moist so hopefully that helps. His scalp is also feeling itchy. He has a good attitude so far and knows he is in for some discomfort. I hope I can help him through it. rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@chaseap01)

Posted : 08/10/2013 4:57 pm

Hi ActiveMama.

First off I would leave your son on his current dose. The side effects aren't really avoidable. With my experience on Accutane most of the initial side effects vansihed after being on Accutane for a few weeks.

As for petroleum jelly in the nose ... don't do it. Putting petroleum products in the sinus passages where the product can be breathed in can cause pneumonia. I recommend using saline gel nasal spray.

I had to use the following products while on Accutane.

Vaseline for lips

Saline Gel for nose

Synthetic tears for my eyes (They were dry and would sting)

I used several different types of moisturizers for my skin (Use only water based creams) moisturizers that are alcohol based will only dry the skin even more.

Get a good conditioner. I used Pantene hair mask and Herbal Essence Hello Hydration. The hair and scalp will get very dry and the hair will be super course and fluffy unless a good balance of moisture is maintained.

Make sure he takes the Accutane with the largest most fatty meal of the day or the Accutane will NOT work.

I never experienced an initial breakout at all. It will be hard for him to do but the second he takes the first pill tell him not to wash his face with ANYTHING except water. If he uses other products he will burn his skin and dry it out severely.

Try to avoid long, hot baths. It's best to take a cool shower and pat dry the skin afterwards. You can also get Vaseline Coco butter baby oil gel. I would rub that on my body after a shower.

I neglected my skin when I first started taking Accutane and developed Accutane induced dermatitis rashes all over my arms. I was given a steroid and started using the baby oil and it cleared up in a couple weeks.

I got mild nose bleeds and headaches initially but they too went away with time.

You will hear the side effects are harsh and a lot of people quit taking it because of the initial side effects. STICK WITH IT! The side effects will fade except for the dry skin.

I had acne form the time I was around 13 and I am finally acne free as of last year and I am almost 30. Accutane was the best decision I have ever made in my life and I am so thankful for the drug!

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/10/2013 11:53 pm

I didn't take the time to read others respones so if I am repeating I am sorry.

I was on accutane and started at 40 mg daily as well and I was on that dosage for 2 months then moved up to 60 for 5 more months and was on a 7 month course. A far. Side effects on 40 I just had very dry lips and dry skin which wasn't a issue for me I wasn't peeling or shedding or anything.

When I moved to 60 I had more side effects, I had sore lower back constantly I lived off heating packs and ice packs. Ice pack for my sore and inflammed joint which I had with my knees and my ankles and after accutane in my hands. My lips didn't even feel like lips anymore and I had serious doubt that my lips would ever return to normal. (they did rather quickly within 2 weeks)

Things I recommend

Drink tons of water, if his is peeing clear then you know he is hydrated enough, if it's yellow he needs to drink more. I had probably 5 liters of water daily. And being on accutane just made my thirsty so it wasn't a issue.

Lip products I used and I switched between them all the time because it seemed that the chap sticks would become ineffective after use and them I'd rotate through them, I used Carmex and bag balm and aquaphor. Bag balm being them only one i would have died without.

Lots of people need head and shoulders because your scalp gets so dry because you stop producing oil everywhere inside and out. So head and shoulders for itchiness and I'd recommend for him to use a heavy conditioner if he doesn't use one he's going to want to start so his hair doesn't get so dry it falls out. Because that can happen they say it effects 10% if you look around these boards in much more than 10.

A very gentle face wash and he shouldn't wash anymore than morning and night unless he is in sports and needs to wash up after his activity. I recommend CeraVe foaming face wash I love love love the stuff it promotes healing of the skin and helps with redness and helps lock moisture in which you need on accutane.

A very good night cream I used CeraVe moisturizing cream and I love that stuff to. I don't go without it. It's light and thick and apples nicely and soaks into the skin wonderfully without making you look like a oil slick unlike Cetaphil does. I used mine day and night.

For SPF for my face I used CeraVe AM that has a 30 SPF which is hard to find in a moisturizer. I liked it while I was dry I don't use it now because my oil has come back. But I loved it then. The line was recommended to me by my dermatologist and I feel in love.

Vaseline for the nostrils because if he doesn't use it he will get bloody noses for being so dry. So I applied it with a q tip and just lightly coated my nostrils and it did the trick!

Vaseline intensive care body cream is great and they have a men's version so he won't have to smell like a girl. I used it after every shower or bath and my body was never dry.

When he is out in the sun make sure he is covered in 30spf otherwise he will burn quickly and badly. The worse even like blister burns. So make sure he is diligent with the sunscreen, and he reapplys is every 2 hours unless you are using a physical sunscreen then that works all day until it gets wet or you sweat a lot. Then it needs to be reapplied. Just a few minutes in the sun could really suprise you with how burnt you can get.

Eye drops I used gel eye drops that really helped better than the water based eye drops. Systane makes great gel eye drops, expensive but wonderful.

For rashes that he will probably get again due to excessive dryness I would be prepared with hydrocortisone cream. Works like a charm for those rashes if they itch, but what that means is that he needs to moisturize more. Then if he does that those rashes will go away.

I spot treated any stubborn acne during my IB with neosporin cream not the ointment because he can use it at school and not have to worry about being shiny walking around school like the ointment would do. That helped me a lot.

Now as far as his IB. Then can happen and the cant happen just depends on your luck. Mine wasn't horrible I got a lot of white heads about 20 a day there would be a new one everytime I looked in the mirror. And they could just be scratched off. But I got those daily for a month. After that my acne continued on as normal for about 3 months. I didn't clear completely until month 5 but most people the magic month is 3. It's a great medication with lots of success but tons of side effects to be careful of.

You make sure you keep a eye on his mood and his behaviors and make sure he isn't depressed if you notice he wants to stay in more and not see friends or not do any normal actives you may need to consider a lower doseage or even taking him off the medication. Suicides have happened on this medication from people who before accutane were fine, so keep a close on him. Anything unusual talk to him about it.

As far as supplements I took fish oil 3 capsuls daily the no burp kind otherwise you burp up fish all day and it's nasty. But that helped my joints so I could still work and get around. I also took glusomine supplement for my joints. I took biotin for my hair so it didn't fall out. Be prepared if he plays sports that he will get tired very easily and get sore ten fold what is normal a lot of people need to put sports and working out aside while they are on accutane. Due to soreness and joint pains.

Also sleepiness is a issue on this mediation too like you sit down and next thing you know you took a 4 hour nap and you are still wanting more sleep. That will subside a bit though. The first 2 months for me were the worse. But some people have sleeping problems while on accutane too. Something you have to deal with to hopefully obtain that clear skin. Private message me if you want and if you have any other questions I'm a mod and I sometimes dont make it back to all the topics I comment on. Since I am bust keeping this site clean and out of control with advertisements!

Once he is off accutane make sure he starts a treatment to keep his skin the way accutane got it. I recommend topicals like retin a micro or something along those lines. They will keeps his pores clear. Aha will fade away any Hyperpigmentaion he has left after the course that is the red or dark marks that are often left behind after the acne goes away. But he can't use anything while on accutane. Besides the gentle face wash if you don't go with the one I recommend just make sure that there isn't any active ingredients in it like BP or SA or sulfates. That is all way to harsh for accutane skin. He can use the gentle moisturizer when ever needed. Just no chemicals or acne treatments.

One last thing if his IB is horrible for some reason contact his derm and ask for a antibiotic like keflex that helps alot and quickly ,and or predisone course that will help heal his skin very fast so he wont have to go to school with a embarrassing breakout and painful acne.

MemberMember
(@activemama2)

Posted : 08/11/2013 1:46 pm

I didn't take the time to read others respones so if I am repeating I am sorry.

I was on accutane and started at 40 mg daily as well and I was on that dosage for 2 months then moved up to 60 for 5 more months and was on a 7 month course. A far. Side effects on 40 I just had very dry lips and dry skin which wasn't a issue for me I wasn't peeling or shedding or anything.

When I moved to 60 I had more side effects, I had sore lower back constantly I lived off heating packs and ice packs. Ice pack for my sore and inflammed joint which I had with my knees and my ankles and after accutane in my hands. My lips didn't even feel like lips anymore and I had serious doubt that my lips would ever return to normal. (they did rather quickly within 2 weeks)

Things I recommend

Drink tons of water, if his is peeing clear then you know he is hydrated enough, if it's yellow he needs to drink more. I had probably 5 liters of water daily. And being on accutane just made my thirsty so it wasn't a issue.

Lip products I used and I switched between them all the time because it seemed that the chap sticks would become ineffective after use and them I'd rotate through them, I used Carmex and bag balm and aquaphor. Bag balm being them only one i would have died without.

Lots of people need head and shoulders because your scalp gets so dry because you stop producing oil everywhere inside and out. So head and shoulders for itchiness and I'd recommend for him to use a heavy conditioner if he doesn't use one he's going to want to start so his hair doesn't get so dry it falls out. Because that can happen they say it effects 10% if you look around these boards in much more than 10.

A very gentle face wash and he shouldn't wash anymore than morning and night unless he is in sports and needs to wash up after his activity. I recommend CeraVe foaming face wash I love love love the stuff it promotes healing of the skin and helps with redness and helps lock moisture in which you need on accutane.

A very good night cream I used CeraVe moisturizing cream and I love that stuff to. I don't go without it. It's light and thick and apples nicely and soaks into the skin wonderfully without making you look like a oil slick unlike Cetaphil does. I used mine day and night.

For SPF for my face I used CeraVe AM that has a 30 SPF which is hard to find in a moisturizer. I liked it while I was dry I don't use it now because my oil has come back. But I loved it then. The line was recommended to me by my dermatologist and I feel in love.

Vaseline for the nostrils because if he doesn't use it he will get bloody noses for being so dry. So I applied it with a q tip and just lightly coated my nostrils and it did the trick!

Vaseline intensive care body cream is great and they have a men's version so he won't have to smell like a girl. I used it after every shower or bath and my body was never dry.

When he is out in the sun make sure he is covered in 30spf otherwise he will burn quickly and badly. The worse even like blister burns. So make sure he is diligent with the sunscreen, and he reapplys is every 2 hours unless you are using a physical sunscreen then that works all day until it gets wet or you sweat a lot. Then it needs to be reapplied. Just a few minutes in the sun could really suprise you with how burnt you can get.

Eye drops I used gel eye drops that really helped better than the water based eye drops. Systane makes great gel eye drops, expensive but wonderful.

For rashes that he will probably get again due to excessive dryness I would be prepared with hydrocortisone cream. Works like a charm for those rashes if they itch, but what that means is that he needs to moisturize more. Then if he does that those rashes will go away.

I spot treated any stubborn acne during my IB with neosporin cream not the ointment because he can use it at school and not have to worry about being shiny walking around school like the ointment would do. That helped me a lot.

Now as far as his IB. Then can happen and the cant happen just depends on your luck. Mine wasn't horrible I got a lot of white heads about 20 a day there would be a new one everytime I looked in the mirror. And they could just be scratched off. But I got those daily for a month. After that my acne continued on as normal for about 3 months. I didn't clear completely until month 5 but most people the magic month is 3. It's a great medication with lots of success but tons of side effects to be careful of.

You make sure you keep a eye on his mood and his behaviors and make sure he isn't depressed if you notice he wants to stay in more and not see friends or not do any normal actives you may need to consider a lower doseage or even taking him off the medication. Suicides have happened on this medication from people who before accutane were fine, so keep a close on him. Anything unusual talk to him about it.

As far as supplements I took fish oil 3 capsuls daily the no burp kind otherwise you burp up fish all day and it's nasty. But that helped my joints so I could still work and get around. I also took glusomine supplement for my joints. I took biotin for my hair so it didn't fall out. Be prepared if he plays sports that he will get tired very easily and get sore ten fold what is normal a lot of people need to put sports and working out aside while they are on accutane. Due to soreness and joint pains.

Also sleepiness is a issue on this mediation too like you sit down and next thing you know you took a 4 hour nap and you are still wanting more sleep. That will subside a bit though. The first 2 months for me were the worse. But some people have sleeping problems while on accutane too. Something you have to deal with to hopefully obtain that clear skin. Private message me if you want and if you have any other questions I'm a mod and I sometimes dont make it back to all the topics I comment on. Since I am bust keeping this site clean and out of control with advertisements!

Once he is off accutane make sure he starts a treatment to keep his skin the way accutane got it. I recommend topicals like retin a micro or something along those lines. They will keeps his pores clear. Aha will fade away any Hyperpigmentaion he has left after the course that is the red or dark marks that are often left behind after the acne goes away. But he can't use anything while on accutane. Besides the gentle face wash if you don't go with the one I recommend just make sure that there isn't any active ingredients in it like BP or SA or sulfates. That is all way to harsh for accutane skin. He can use the gentle moisturizer when ever needed. Just no chemicals or acne treatments.

One last thing if his IB is horrible for some reason contact his derm and ask for a antibiotic like keflex that helps alot and quickly ,and or predisone course that will help heal his skin very fast so he wont have to go to school with a embarrassing breakout and painful acne.

Fantastic information...thank-you SO much! I am hoping the doctor will keep him on a lower dose for a longer time. All the research I've done says this is effective and results in fewer side effects. He has completed week one and is starting to dry out for sure. His lips are a bit swollen and red but he's doing a good job keeping them moisturized. Getting a few more whiteheads the last couple of days as well. He had one night of extreme scalp itching but that went away for now. I am having him use my moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. I wish we would have started this at the beginning of Summer instead of two weeks before school starts! Thanks again smile.png

Hi ActiveMama.

First off I would leave your son on his current dose. The side effects aren't really avoidable. With my experience on Accutane most of the initial side effects vansihed after being on Accutane for a few weeks.

As for petroleum jelly in the nose ... don't do it. Putting petroleum products in the sinus passages where the product can be breathed in can cause pneumonia. I recommend using saline gel nasal spray.

I had to use the following products while on Accutane.

Vaseline for lips

Saline Gel for nose

Synthetic tears for my eyes (They were dry and would sting)

I used several different types of moisturizers for my skin (Use only water based creams) moisturizers that are alcohol based will only dry the skin even more.

Get a good conditioner. I used Pantene hair mask and Herbal Essence Hello Hydration. The hair and scalp will get very dry and the hair will be super course and fluffy unless a good balance of moisture is maintained.

Make sure he takes the Accutane with the largest most fatty meal of the day or the Accutane will NOT work.

I never experienced an initial breakout at all. It will be hard for him to do but the second he takes the first pill tell him not to wash his face with ANYTHING except water. If he uses other products he will burn his skin and dry it out severely.

Try to avoid long, hot baths. It's best to take a cool shower and pat dry the skin afterwards. You can also get Vaseline Coco butter baby oil gel. I would rub that on my body after a shower.

I neglected my skin when I first started taking Accutane and developed Accutane induced dermatitis rashes all over my arms. I was given a steroid and started using the baby oil and it cleared up in a couple weeks.

I got mild nose bleeds and headaches initially but they too went away with time.

You will hear the side effects are harsh and a lot of people quit taking it because of the initial side effects. STICK WITH IT! The side effects will fade except for the dry skin.

I had acne form the time I was around 13 and I am finally acne free as of last year and I am almost 30. Accutane was the best decision I have ever made in my life and I am so thankful for the drug!

Thank-you for taking the time to reply. I knew it was time and he was beyond fed up with his acne. One week down! smile.png

MemberMember
(@2worriedmom)

Posted : 09/08/2013 12:50 pm

Thank you for or taking the time to reply. I knew it was time and he was beyond fed up with his acne. One week down! smile.png

ActiveMama.

Hi Active Mama!

About a month done I guess? Can you summarize how your son is doing? Side effects? Skin Condition?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 09/09/2013 7:24 am

You did the right thing. I wish someone had started me on Accutance at 14 and I wouldn't be left with the scars I have now! Dry lips was the only bad thing I had so make sure he has plenty of lip balm at the ready. Good luck

MemberMember
(@activemama2)

Posted : 10/07/2013 9:18 pm

Thank you for or taking the time to reply. I knew it was time and he was beyond fed up with his acne. One week down! smile.png

ActiveMama.

Hi Active Mama!

About a month done I guess? Can you summarize how your son is doing? Side effects? Skin Condition?

Thanks!

Hi there. I just replied to your private message. If anyone else would like to know about his progress and side effects, just let me know and I can either post it here or you can PM me. Overall, things are going well. He is starting week 9 this week!

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 10/09/2013 5:26 am

I'd be interested if you posted it on here :)

MemberMember
(@shawna8772)

Posted : 10/15/2013 5:06 pm

How are things going for your son? My 15 year old son will be starting his first round on Friday and I'm nervous.

Shawna

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 10/22/2013 1:11 pm

How are things going for your son? My 15 year old son will be starting his first round on Friday and I'm nervous.

Shawna

Try not to worry. It is honestly the best thing for him to prevent scarring, trust me!!

I would guess the worst thing for him will be putting Vaseline etc on his lips in front of his mates! Just make sure from day 1 you make sure he moisturises before bed no matter how greasy it feels etc

MemberMember
(@motheronamission)

Posted : 12/26/2013 2:50 pm

Hi when do you decide to push for Accutane. My son is only 14 but has been on Retinol A cream which has made his acne much worse. I realize this is often the case and you have to be patient, but when he doesn't want to go anywhere and wants to quit sports because it aggeviates the acne, When do you decide enough is enough and push for Accutane. I was on Accutane and it was the best decision I ever made..but is 14 too young? How do they determine what "severe" is and does the emotional turmoil that teenagers face play into the "severe" diagnosis?

MemberMember
(@2worriedmom)

Posted : 01/05/2014 9:42 pm

Hi Motheronamission,

I can tell you that my son did a course at 14 and now my daughter also started at age 14 a couple of months ago. My son did his Accutane course over 6 years ago...he played football during his entire course and never had any issues or problems besides very dry lips and an occasional nosebleed. His acne was getting pretty bad when he started but not super severe. Some cysts and spots, mostly on the sides of his cheeks. Accutane cured his acne but it did take a good 4 months for the Accutane to start clearing his skin. . I will tell you that the first few months of his treatment were very frustrating as his skin remained very broke out. He is now 20 his acne has not returned.

So far so good on my daughter's Accutane journey. She just ended her second month. We started her BEFORE her acne got as bad as my son's did. She is quite fair and both myself and the dermatologist did not want her to get any worse or to get scars. At this point she has quite a bit of post acne red marks which her derm says will fade a few months after Accutane is over. I hope he is right.

As mentioned about yourself, I did a course of Accutane in the early 80's and it was one of the best decisions I made. I never had cystic acne, just persistent mild/moderate acne. I think that since I actually took Accutane, I had an easier time with my kids taking it. As you may have experienced, patients who took it decades ago did not need to get bloodwork nor was there as many grave warnings about the drug. The only thing I was ever warned about was that it was imperative not to get pregnant.

I understand that Accutane is not for everyone. But, when kids get to the point that their self esteem is affected and they want to withdraw from doing things they enjoy, I think Accutane is so beneficial. My son got to enjoy his entire high school years, now college years, play sports every season, and not worry one bit about his skin or acne scarring. It definitely was the best decision for him.

I wish you and your son the best!!

MemberMember
(@xcharliex)

Posted : 01/06/2014 2:26 pm

Hi Motheronamission,

I can tell you that my son did a course at 14 and now my daughter also started at age 14 a couple of months ago. My son did his Accutane course over 6 years ago...he played football during his entire course and never had any issues or problems besides very dry lips and an occasional nosebleed. His acne was getting pretty bad when he started but not super severe. Some cysts and spots, mostly on the sides of his cheeks. Accutane cured his acne but it did take a good 4 months for the Accutane to start clearing his skin. . I will tell you that the first few months of his treatment were very frustrating as his skin remained very broke out. He is now 20 his acne has not returned.

So far so good on my daughter's Accutane journey. She just ended her second month. We started her BEFORE her acne got as bad as my son's did. She is quite fair and both myself and the dermatologist did not want her to get any worse or to get scars. At this point she has quite a bit of post acne red marks which her derm says will fade a few months after Accutane is over. I hope he is right.

As mentioned about yourself, I did a course of Accutane in the early 80's and it was one of the best decisions I made. I never had cystic acne, just persistent mild/moderate acne. I think that since I actually took Accutane, I had an easier time with my kids taking it. As you may have experienced, patients who took it decades ago did not need to get bloodwork nor was there as many grave warnings about the drug. The only thing I was ever warned about was that it was imperative not to get pregnant.

I understand that Accutane is not for everyone. But, when kids get to the point that their self esteem is affected and they want to withdraw from doing things they enjoy, I think Accutane is so beneficial. My son got to enjoy his entire high school years, now college years, play sports every season, and not worry one bit about his skin or acne scarring. It definitely was the best decision for him.

I wish you and your son the best!!

I really admire your decisions regarding your children. By doing what you have, your childrens adolescence is and has been a much more enjoyable experience and one that would have been extremely difficult had they not taken the drug.

MemberMember
(@2worriedmom)

Posted : 01/16/2014 8:27 am

xCharliex,

That is a very nice thing for you to say to me, thank you.

MemberMember
(@nicolacat)

Posted : 01/17/2014 2:00 pm

Good for you for getting your kid on accutane and for being such a caring parent! I wish someone would have done this for me when I was a teenager. I am on low dose accutane now and for me the scariest part of accutane was reading the scary stories!! :) So my advice would be to educate yourself but don't get scare yourself silly reading everything and try keep your son away from google. Easier said than done I know!

I only have the dry lips 3 months in but I am on a low dose (10mg daily). I am 40 and suffering from adult acne so my situation is different. I just wanted to give you some support and to say I think you are doing the right thing..I have spoken to so many people with terribly scarred faces who all say 'if only I had gone on it sooner'

Remember the vast majority of people suffer very little in the way of side effects and there are a list of warnings/ side effects on many prescription drugs as long as your arm. What is definite though is that acne for a teenager, when it is severe, is soul destroying for the self esteem.

I wish you all the luck in the world. Take care xxx