Notifications
Clear all

Documentary About Accutane

MemberMember
(@vanessa2002)

Posted : 08/04/2013 1:57 pm

Hey guys,

I recently found this British documentary about accutane on youtube. I thought I might post it here. It clearly centers on people who have had depression and commited suicide because of it, but it also shows a guy with severe acne who gets a treatment that's supposed to kill all the bacteria and bring out the toxins in his skin and it works well for him. You can see him get the treatment from 3050 and then the results from 4606.

Note: I am not posting this video because I think accutane should be avoided. I will start a low-dose course of accutane (20mg) myself in about a month. I just think it's an interesting, yet sad documentary.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/04/2013 4:45 pm

Wow This is really touching and eye-opening. Thank you for posting it.

MemberMember
(@heftymug)

Posted : 08/04/2013 5:53 pm

nice post, that was a good watch.

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 08/04/2013 9:42 pm

People overate accutane. It is a gamble, but it is worth it. How can some one sit at home and cower for years over acne. You have to take a chance to beat it and accutane is that shot. I'm a full supporter of tane, it hasn't fully worked for me yet, but it has helped and I'd do a second course in a heart beat.

MemberMember
(@vanessa2002)

Posted : 08/05/2013 5:13 am

I am a supporter of accutane, too. The doctor at 36min says that he has treated more than a thousand people with it and never had serious side effects. I feel sorry for people like Jesse, but the drug should not be forbidden because of these few cases, when it helps so many.

MemberMember
(@flowergirl1234)

Posted : 08/05/2013 11:27 pm

I remember watching this around the time it came out. It was really heartbreaking. I'm also pretty sure the guy who got that special treatment is on the org. It was really eye opening, but I'm still not sure how to feel about Accutane.

MemberMember
(@vanessa2002)

Posted : 08/06/2013 8:00 am

He is?

Will are you here???

MemberMember
(@flowergirl1234)

Posted : 08/06/2013 6:11 pm

Yeah, here's Will's page: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/user/165338-williamrickard/

He also said Stefan is on here as indigorush I believe.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 08/07/2013 4:09 am

Yeah I remember hearing/seeing they're around the forums.

I watched this documentary a while ago, around when it came out too I think. Touching and eye-opening for sure. I completely understand why people would take accutane, but I'm personally too worried about potential side effects for me to take it. I just have a gut feeling that I would be one of the ones with severe side effects or side effects that are worse than acne in some way. But you never know... things could change and maybe one day, years from now, if I'm dealing with acne still or if my acne became very severe, I might take accutane. But I do think that accutane should be approached as a 'last resort' option. Just my opinion.

MemberMember
(@vanessa2002)

Posted : 08/07/2013 5:34 am

I heard the older you are when you take accutane, the harder it's for your skin to regenerate. That's why I'd rather take it now.

It is not a 'last resort' for me, because I think it's the only thing that really works. I've heard from so many people here on the org that they tried out tons of treatments and nothing helped except accutane. My skin produces insane amounts of oil and sebum, so I need something to reduce that, which is exactly what accutane does. I followed the blog of another girl on this site who also took a low dose of accutane for oily skin and it worked well for her. I am gonna be on 20mg, which is not a lot.

Thanks for the link SavyBanana :)

You've been on accutane, haven't you? Did it give you any severe side effects, or why do you say you don't know how to feel about it?

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 08/07/2013 7:02 am

I heard the older you are when you take accutane, the harder it's for your skin to regenerate. That's why I'd rather take it now.

It is not a 'last resort' for me, because I think it's the only thing that really works. I've heard from so many people here on the org that they tried out tons of treatments and nothing helped except accutane. My skin produces insane amounts of oil and sebum, so I need something to reduce that, which is exactly what accutane does. I followed the blog of another girl on this site who also took a low dose of accutane for oily skin and it worked well for her. I am gonna be on 20mg, which is not a lot.

Thanks for the link SavyBanana smile.png

You've been on accutane, haven't you? Did it give you any severe side effects, or why do you say you don't know how to feel about it?

I didn't know that about age - that's interesting. I wonder how age effects other potential side effects...

And yeah if someone is comfortable with accutane and want's to take it and it works for them then that's great! But I wouldn't suggest for someone to try it before they'd really tried other options (that's what I meant by saying last resort).

MemberMember
(@bodie81)

Posted : 08/07/2013 9:37 am

I remember when this programme was aired in the UK last year, there was a thread about it on one of the forums. Here is the link:

When my acne was at it`s worst in my teens and twenties, I never even knew about accutane. Even if I had been offered it, I`m not sure that I would have taken it. I have a history of depression and anxiety and the risk factor involved would have been too great for me personally.

MemberMember
(@flowergirl1234)

Posted : 08/07/2013 1:36 pm

Thanks for the link SavyBanana smile.png

I did take accutane, and it's been almost a year since I've been off it. Honestly, I don't regret it one bit. I can't even imagine how I would be now had I not taken it. Clearing up my skin, and what was an even bigger issue for me, getting rid of my extreme oliness, relieved me of so much stress. My self esteem was so much higher and I just felt better physically and emotionally. The only downer for me was I set myslef up to think I would have perfect skin by the end of the treatment, and boy was I wrong. I still have very flawed skin, but it is a million times better than before. The only side effects I had were really, really dry skin and lips and a couple of nose bleeds.

The reason i say I don't know how to feel about accutane is because I've seen so many stories from people that are very real and very worrying. I know I had a pretty easy experience on accutane, but I still don't feel like it is my place to encourage people to take it because of how many people have had bad experiences. I just don't know from what angle to approach the issues. Stories like that of Jessie's just makes me even more cautious. I definitely think the drug needs to be prescribed more responsibly, and I think it is absolutely necessary for the person being prescribed accutane to do a lot of research themselves.

I think accutane effects each person differently, and it should be prescribed on a patient by patient basis. I don't think it's a drug that is "good for everyone" or "bad for everyone," if you know what I mean.

MemberMember
(@vanessa2002)

Posted : 08/08/2013 5:13 am

My skin sounds a lot like yours. Hopefully I'll only experience dryness as a side effect, like you. What was your dosage?

MemberMember
(@flowergirl1234)

Posted : 08/09/2013 7:59 pm

I had a really high dosage for my weight at 80 mgs a day. I really don't think I needed it to be that high.

I think it's smart that you are going a low dose, especially if oily skin is your main concern. Accutane works wonders for that. I know how exhausting and self conscious and gross you feel when your skin is super oily; not fun. And with lower doses there is less risk of severe side effects. I really hope it works for you! :)

MemberMember
(@vanessa2002)

Posted : 08/10/2013 7:06 am

I do have breakouts when I don't keep my strictly healthy diet. But every once in a while you just have to indulge...

I know, oily skin sucks so much. During my internship last year, I applied my makeup at 8am and it had to last until 5:30pm. Obviously it didn't. By that time I was usually an oily mess. My skin looked as if I had poured oil all over my face and my hair was so greasy that it stuck to my skin, even if the wind blew in my face. Horrible. I turned down invitations from my colleagues to go somewhere after work because I just wanted to get home as quickly as possible, take my make-up off and shower to feel fresh again. It can't be like that when I start working for real. And I'll be 25 in a few months, so I've really dealt with this long enough (have acne since I was 12).

Thanks for the good wishes :) I'll keep a blog of my accutane course on this site.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/10/2013 11:42 am

I do have breakouts when I don't keep my strictly healthy diet. But every once in a while you just have to indulge...

I know, oily skin sucks so much. During my internship last year, I applied my makeup at 8am and it had to last until 5:30pm. Obviously it didn't. By that time I was usually an oily mess. My skin looked as if I had poured oil all over my face and my hair was so greasy that it stuck to my skin, even if the wind blew in my face. Horrible. I turned down invitations from my colleagues to go somewhere after work because I just wanted to get home as quickly as possible, take my make-up off and shower to feel fresh again. It can't be like that when I start working for real. And I'll be 25 in a few months, so I've really dealt with this long enough (have acne since I was 12).

Thanks for the good wishes smile.png I'll keep a blog of my accutane course on this site.

Please do post how accutane helps your oily skin. I am about the same age with pretty much the same issue; overly oily skin. I'm still weighing the pros and cons with accutane. I completely understand your internship experience; I had the same deal only I worked in an electronics lab with protective goggles. Very annoying on an oily face.

MemberMember
(@vanessa2002)

Posted : 08/10/2013 12:47 pm

Please do post how accutane helps your oily skin. I am about the same age with pretty much the same issue; overly oily skin. I'm still weighing the pros and cons with accutane. I completely understand your internship experience; I had the same deal only I worked in an electronics lab with protective goggles. Very annoying on an oily face.

Yeah, yet another thing that was ruined by acne. On top of it my boss sat me down in his office and gave me a lengthy lecture about how I need to go out with the others after work or I'll become isolated. He thought I didn't want to go because I saw myself above it all and was like "Now I'm gonna talk some sense into this kid". And I sat there and said nothing, because I didn't want to tell him about the acne. I didn't like him very much so I didn't want to discuss such a personal topic with him. *sigh*

MemberMember
(@hasmas)

Posted : 08/10/2013 1:14 pm

Acne forms you and shapes you to the one you will become its hard to go through acne you really have to be strong and thats why I say be strong people be strong!

MemberMember
(@ravenss)

Posted : 08/10/2013 7:40 pm

I think accutane should only be allowed to those 18+(cant believe they give this to 15 year olds, that is disgusting) and they should be made very aware of the possible side effects. For some it can be a great treatmet, but remember that depression is not as rare as they say because most people dont report it to their derm. I didnt report mine to my derm.

I tried it for 2 months this year and I was slightly depressed before accutane, but I didnt know what real bad depression was until I took this drug. By the end of the second month of accutane I was so sucidal one night I had to stop myself from going out because I knew if I did there was a chance I was going to drive into a train(not joking-that depressed). My acne was getting better on it but it was the lowest I have felt in my life and I know if I didnt stop taking it I would have ended my life soon enough it was that bad. Ive been off it for a month and a half now and Im back to just being slightly depressed due to other life circumstances(knee injury-cant exercise). Other side effects it gave me were elbow pain and really dry eyes. My eyes have gotten better now that im off but noit completely I think that is going to be permanent. Just be careful with what you are getting yourself into, unless you have really bad acne this is NOT a drug to play around with(it doesnt look like it from your picture?). Its vitamin A poisening yourself.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/10/2013 8:56 pm

Yeah, yet another thing that was ruined by acne. On top of it my boss sat me down in his office and gave me a lengthy lecture about how I need to go out with the others after work or I'll become isolated. He thought I didn't want to go because I saw myself above it all and was like "Now I'm gonna talk some sense into this kid". And I sat there and said nothing, because I didn't want to tell him about the acne. I didn't like him very much so I didn't want to discuss such a personal topic with him. *sigh*

Yea it happens. I've learned to blot my face on breaks using the paper towels in bathrooms when I'm on break or lunch. Have you tried that? It makes a pretty big difference, as it gets rid of the excess oil with minimal effort.

Good luck with accutane; it is slightly risky but no where near as bad as everyone says it is. I have never taken it but I've researched the hell out of it; and the numbers show that the majority of people just have minor issues like dry eyes and lips, nothing really too serious. Of course the horror stories make it to the internet though LOL. Just stay alert for potential issues and make sure you have someone to talk to if you need it.

MemberMember
(@vanessa2002)

Posted : 08/11/2013 4:30 am

Yea it happens. I've learned to blot my face on breaks using the paper towels in bathrooms when I'm on break or lunch. Have you tried that? It makes a pretty big difference, as it gets rid of the excess oil with minimal effort.

Good luck with accutane; it is slightly risky but no where near as bad as everyone says it is. I have never taken it but I've researched the hell out of it; and the numbers show that the majority of people just have minor issues like dry eyes and lips, nothing really too serious. Of course the horror stories make it to the internet though LOL. Just stay alert for potential issues and make sure you have someone to talk to if you need it.

When you wear make-up you can't do that, cause then it'll come off, too. Instead I put on loads of powder and my skin felt like it suffocated...

I did a lot of research on accutane, too and I also feel like it works well for most people. I just have to give it a try, or I'll ask myself 'what if' for the rest of my life. I'll start out with 10mg for the first month, to see how my body reacts to it, before I go up to 20mg.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/13/2013 7:38 pm

When you wear make-up you can't do that, cause then it'll come off, too. Instead I put on loads of powder and my skin felt like it suffocated...

I did a lot of research on accutane, too and I also feel like it works well for most people. I just have to give it a try, or I'll ask myself 'what if' for the rest of my life. I'll start out with 10mg for the first month, to see how my body reacts to it, before I go up to 20mg.

Have you tried the little blotting sheets they sell? I've seen women use those, and I think if you just dab/press your face it would affect your makeup very little. I could be wrong though lol.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 08/16/2013 7:19 pm

Accutane does NOT affect emotions. All reports of Accutane being associated with severe depression leading to suicide are unfounded as the drug does not directly "induce" depression. These people are already depressed and emotionally unstable to begin with whether they know it or not - trust me, I have been in the same boat. Emotional disorders are cumulative and take time to build up before they get to a "breaking point" where you experience full blown symptoms. It has nothing to do with the Accutane.

MemberMember
(@vanessa2002)

Posted : 08/17/2013 4:25 am

Have you tried the little blotting sheets they sell? I've seen women use those, and I think if you just dab/press your face it would affect your makeup very little. I could be wrong though lol.

No, I haven't heard of that. But it'll be only two weeks now until I can start with my accutane course. cheer.gif So I don't need to look into it anymore :)

Accutane does NOT affect emotions. All reports of Accutane being associated with severe depression leading to suicide are unfounded as the drug does not directly "induce" depression. These people are already depressed and emotionally unstable to begin with whether they know it or not - trust me, I have been in the same boat. Emotional disorders are cumulative and take time to build up before they get to a "breaking point" where you experience full blown symptoms. It has nothing to do with the Accutane.

I don't agree with that. Accutane interferes with the production of serotonin in the brain. It can cause depression in some people, however there are just as many who take the drug and are fine.