Notifications
Clear all

Cetaphil Oil Control Foam Wash/how To Wash Face?

MemberMember
(@poeticphantom)

Posted : 08/02/2013 8:29 am

So recently ever since I bought this I've noticed I've been getting less acne. I've been using this as is, no other medication or anything.

Acne medication dries out skin, so I just use Cetaphil Oil Control Foam Wash and sometimes I follow up with the Oil Control Moisturizer which is non-comodogenic.

Thing is, my skin feels a bit tight after it and sometimes I feel like I'm doing it wrong. When you use a foam wash, do you these steps:

1)Throw hot water over your face repeatedly.

2)Take the foam wash, put it on your hand and lather all over your face.

3)Then rub the foam hard onto your face, I think this agitates my skin, anyone else?

4)Then throw cold water over my face repeatedly.

5)Sink my face into a towel for a minute.

Is this the correct way to use a foam wash/process?

I do this 2x. Morning/evening. Usually 9-10 hours apart from one another.

Also, I get maybe 1-2 whitehead/pimples on my face like 2x a week, and I don't eat healthy, and eat whatever I want.

Should I get an exfoliater? I used once before, the Clean n Clear, but it's BP 5% was harsh and I didn't really see much change after 60 days until I got the foam wash and I stopped using the exfoliate.

So is the problem that I have no exfoliation or that I need to start eating healthy?

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 08/02/2013 8:42 am

A couple things you could change with your face wash routine is use "warm" water.. not hot! This strips the protective layers off your skin.. and isn't doing you any favors. Also when you're rubbing the face wash into your face be SUPER gentle, a soft sort of touch.. nothing aggressive... also use that same tip when applying moisturizer, be very gentle, and you're face will thank you.. also make sure you're towel drying by just gently patting your face dry with the towel afterwords!

You could always just use the BP to spot treat any pimples you may currently have.. also 5% is quite harsh, they say 2.5% is just as effective, and less irritating!

Try out these things if you like, and see how they go for you!

Hope this helps! (:

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/02/2013 10:11 am

When you use any face wash always use warm water. Your skin has a barrier that protects you from harsh weather and other environmental factors. If you strip this barrier off, your skin will become red, irritated, sensitive and will likely breakout more.

step 1: splash your face with warm wet so it is nice and wet

step 2: foam up face wash in hands then gently apply to face. (do not rub in circular motions, apply to one section so bacteria does not spread)

step 3: let the face wash sit on your face for 30 seconds (so any medicine or whatever is in the face wash can do its job)

step 4: gently wash the face wash off with warm water

step 5: gently pat your face with a fresh towel, do not rub

You should try and use a gentle exfoliator 2 to 4 times a month. Do not use anything with beads or harsh granules which can rip the skin. The exfoliator can be very useful in curing acne and fading any dark marks. An exfoliator helps to remove dead skin cells and extra oil that sits on the surface of the skin, causing clogged pores. Healthy skin regenerates itself every 28 days, but oily skin needs to remove the dead skin faster so that it does not become plugged up.

MemberMember
(@maskedone)

Posted : 08/02/2013 12:10 pm

Chiming in to agree with the other two posters on the warm vs. hot water and try not to scrub your face. I also use the Cetaphil foam face wash for acne prone skin and I really like it. It IS gentle enough for me without over drying. I wash my face 2x/day, use luke warm water and massage into skin for about 10 second. I never exfoliate; using your hands naturally does that. I've stayed with this regimen for years after my derm recommended it.

MemberMember
(@poeticphantom)

Posted : 08/05/2013 11:27 am

When you use any face wash always use warm water. Your skin has a barrier that protects you from harsh weather and other environmental factors. If you strip this barrier off, your skin will become red, irritated, sensitive and will likely breakout more.

step 2: foam up face wash in hands then gently apply to face. (do not rub in circular motions, apply to one section so bacteria does not spread)

step 3: let the face wash sit on your face for 30 seconds (so any medicine or whatever is in the face wash can do its job)

You should try and use a gentle exfoliator 2 to 4 times a month. Do not use anything with beads or harsh granules which can rip the skin. The exfoliator can be very useful in curing acne and fading any dark marks. An exfoliator helps to remove dead skin cells and extra oil that sits on the surface of the skin, causing clogged pores. Healthy skin regenerates itself every 28 days, but oily skin needs to remove the dead skin faster so that it does not become plugged up.

Chiming in to agree with the other two posters on the warm vs. hot water and try not to scrub your face. I also use the Cetaphil foam face wash for acne prone skin and I really like it. It IS gentle enough for me without over drying. I wash my face 2x/day, use luke warm water and massage into skin for about 10 second. I never exfoliate; using your hands naturally does that. I've stayed with this regimen for years after my derm recommended it.

Ok, so all my life basically I've been using hot water to wash my face, shower.. Is this the reason why I've still been getting acne no matter what, because I'm using hot water? I use hot water, really hot, everytime I shower. I use hot water on my face like 3-4 splashes then apply the foam than use cold water.. But I still got acne.

So should I stop using hot water overall?

Also, what exfoliator do you recommend? I used Clean n Clear 3-in-1 but it had microbeads in it, since you say they're bad, I won't use it. I haven't used it in months anyways.

Also, you say not to do it in circular motions, how else do I put it on my face/neck then? I just put it on my hands and dab it all over?

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/05/2013 12:55 pm

>Chiming in to agree with the other two posters on the warm vs. hot water and try not to scrub your face. I also use the Cetaphil foam face wash for acne prone skin and I really like it. It IS gentle enough for me without over drying. I wash my face 2x/day, use luke warm water and massage into skin for about 10 second. I never exfoliate; using your hands naturally does that. I've stayed with this regimen for years after my derm recommended it.

Ok, so all my life basically I've been using hot water to wash my face, shower.. Is this the reason why I've still been getting acne no matter what, because I'm using hot water? I use hot water, really hot, everytime I shower. I use hot water on my face like 3-4 splashes then apply the foam than use cold water.. But I still got acne.

Also, what exfoliator do you recommend? I used Clean n Clear 3-in-1 but it had microbeads in it, since you say they're bad, I won't use it. I haven't used it in months anyways.

Also, you say not to do it in circular motions, how else do I put it on my face/neck then? I just put it on my hands and dab it all over?

Hot water is likely not the reason you have acne, but it could definitely be making the problem worse. I would quit using hot water and start using warm water. Try the warm water trial out for a week and see if anything has improved just from that single change. There are lots of types of exfoliators, it depends on what you like best and your skin type. What type of skin do you have and acne severity? With washing your face, trying and swipe it on, if you can picture that. Like swipe it across your forehead from left to right and do that repeatedly, with other areas of your face too. That way if you have any acne lesions, you wont irritate them by rubbing in circular motions.

MemberMember
(@maskedone)

Posted : 08/05/2013 1:45 pm

I agree with SunnySarah. Hot water likely isn't causing your acne, but it can certainly be an irritant to you skin. Just a gentle massaging motion should be fine when you wash.

MemberMember
(@poeticphantom)

Posted : 08/05/2013 2:46 pm

>Chiming in to agree with the other two posters on the warm vs. hot water and try not to scrub your face. I also use the Cetaphil foam face wash for acne prone skin and I really like it. It IS gentle enough for me without over drying. I wash my face 2x/day, use luke warm water and massage into skin for about 10 second. I never exfoliate; using your hands naturally does that. I've stayed with this regimen for years after my derm recommended it.

Hot water is likely not the reason you have acne, but it could definitely be making the problem worse. I would quit using hot water and start using warm water. Try the warm water trial out for a week and see if anything has improved just from that single change. There are lots of types of exfoliators, it depends on what you like best and your skin type. What type of skin do you have and acne severity? With washing your face, trying and swipe it on, if you can picture that. Like swipe it across your forehead from left to right and do that repeatedly, with other areas of your face too. That way if you have any acne lesions, you wont irritate them by rubbing in circular motions.

My acne severity isn't severe or mild or anything. It's just like past 2-3 years, I'd always have 1-3 pimples. Sometimes I would have none, its like I have a clear face but I always get 1-3 pimples if I don't have any. So there's like always at least one pimple at all times. Not sure anymore.

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/05/2013 3:13 pm

PoeticPhantom, I am asuming that your skin is slightly oily since you are using the Cetaphil Oil control foam wash. If this is the case, then your pores can easily become clogged with oil. If dirt or bacteria gets trapped in the oil, it will cause a pimple. An easy way to keep that from happening is an exfoliator. I would suggest using witch hazel or low/no alcohol based toner. The toner will exfoliate the dead skin off, because most of them contain a small amount of salicylic acid. A yogurt mask is another great option because it contains lactic acid, which basically "eats" the dead skin off your face. These types of exfoliators generally work better on acne and they cause no irritation. (Unless you have very sensitive skin or are allergic to dairy.)