Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Doing Wonders!

MemberMember
(@mattabb)

Posted : 08/02/2013 5:59 am

Hi, so far I am only currently on my second week of accutane. However I never experienced an instant breakout of my acne, which i was highly expecting. Before starting Accutane my dermatologist informed me that my acne was moderately severe, So far 95% of my Acne has dried up on my face and the remaining ones are not bothering me at the moment anyway! I have started experiencing EXTREMELY dry lips lip balm helps a little, but it is a more of a annoyance than a pain and my skin tends to look dry on a regular basis but using a moisturiser can deal with that problem. Obviously I do not know what the future holds for me with accutane but from the results that i have experienced in just 2 weeks, i would recommend it to anyone who is becoming frustrated and upset with their acne as i was before i was prescribed it. Yes look through the side effects and give it a tremendous amount of thought before you start to use it because it is a big decision to make, i miss alcohol :( haha.

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 08/02/2013 6:51 am

Good for you! Fingers crossed for you that you have avoided the dreaded initial breakout. It is so much easier to deal with the side effects (and lack of alcohol) when you SEE progress.

What dose are you on and how much do you weigh? Just curious if your doctor has a strategy to avoid the initial breakout-

MemberMember
(@mattabb)

Posted : 08/02/2013 7:25 am

Thank you very much :). I weigh 162lb and I am currently on 40mg of accutane per day, the dermatologist never tested for my height and weight he must have assumed that 40mg would be adequate for me.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/02/2013 5:24 pm

mattabb: before you started Accutane, did you have oily skin?

MemberMember
(@mattabb)

Posted : 08/02/2013 6:09 pm

Biggs881: Yes mate my skin was really oily before i started accutane i needed to wash in the morning and at night just to remove the excess oil. But following accutane there isn't any present that's why i need to moisturise a little or its uncomfortably dry :)

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/02/2013 6:24 pm

I have a theory regarding Accutane use and acne relapses after it. People who clear up quickly (within weeks) on Accutane seem to be the people with originally very oily skin which dries up, clearing their acne. Unfortunately these people also seem to experience prompt relapses of acne post-treatment once their oil returns. [For these people, oil was the main problem causing their acne.]

People with acne on dry skin seem to take longer to clear on Accutane (months), but they also appear to be less prone to relapses post-treatment. [For these people, was the main problem causing their acne.]

Just my unproven theory. Maybe it's biased since I had acne on dry skin!

However, since you had oily skin, I strongly recommend you start a daily maintenance therapy (e.g. topical retinoid) once your course is over to retain the improvement produced by Accutane.

Good luck

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 08/02/2013 6:32 pm

I have a theory regarding Accutane use and acne relapses after it. People who clear up quickly (within weeks) on Accutane seem to be the people with originally very oily skin which dries up, clearing their acne. Unfortunately these people also seem to experience prompt relapses of acne post-treatment once their oil returns. [For these people, oil was the main problem causing their acne.]

People with acne on dry skin seem to take longer to clear on Accutane (months), but they also appear to be less prone to relapses post-treatment. [For these people, hyperkeratinisation was the main problem causing their acne.]

However, since you had oily skin, I strongly recommend you start a daily maintenance therapy (e.g. topical retinoid) once your course is over to retain the improvement produced by Accutane.

Good luck

I agree with this as I have very oily skin and Accutane didnt work the first time but I also know people with very oily skin that dont have any acne so there is hope.. lol

MemberMember
(@chaseap01)

Posted : 03/02/2014 6:09 pm

I had really oily skin before I started taking Accutane. I would look like I dunked my head in a grease pit an hour after taking a shower. I have been off of Accutane for over a year with no relapse at all. My oil production has also remained in check. I would say I product the oil of a normal person now. My skin isn't completely dried up but I produce enough to prevent dry skin and my face feels supple and healthy now.

MemberMember
(@oilyacnequeen)

Posted : 03/04/2014 2:28 pm

I had really oily skin before I started taking Accutane. I would look like I dunked my head in a grease pit an hour after taking a shower. I have been off of Accutane for over a year with no relapse at all. My oil production has also remained in check. I would say I product the oil of a normal person now. My skin isn't completely dried up but I produce enough to prevent dry skin and my face feels supple and healthy now.

Do you remember what your cumulative accutane dose was? I had extremely oily skin too before taking accutane. My skin is amazing and like yours now but I've only been off of it for a few weeks. I wanted to see how our cumulative doses compare.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 03/04/2014 4:40 pm

People with acne on dry skin seem to take longer to clear on Accutane (months), but they also appear to be less prone to relapses post-treatment. [For these people, hyperkeratinisation was the main problem causing their acne.]

Good luck

i agree.

so how do you stop hyperkeratinisation? this is the problem i have, dry skin that gets clogged up / white heads, black heads etc