Notifications
Clear all

Stopped Washing My Face

MemberMember
(@justwater)

Posted : 08/01/2013 8:37 am

Hello all,

I am a 25 year old male that has not washed his face with any products in the last 6 days. I am using only water, and my face seems more irritated. I think I destroyed my skin with all of the products over the years, and now it doesn't know what to do. I have had acne and oily skin for about 10 years. It was only really bad for about a year, but I kept using my products religiously since I was so scared it would come back bad. I even went on accutane twice (only for a month each time because of bad side effects) because of my mild acne/oily skin. I do break out with a pimple or two here or there, but for the most part mild. The reason I started not washing my face is because when I had surgery 7 years ago and didn't wash my face for a week (I didn't even let water touch it), my skin was flawless and felt amazing. That was before I went on accutane though. My question to all of you is, do you think my skin will eventually repair itself, or do you think I should start washing again since that's what it's used to. Thanks to all those who reply.

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 08/01/2013 9:05 am

I'm a fan of washing with a very gentle cleanser at least once a day...very gentle washing with a very gentle cleanser - try Cetaphil. Then after your face dries apply your topicals, or not. But I'm such a nut about clean pillow cases at night that I can't imagine putting my face on it when I haven't washed off the days 'grime'.

But having said that, there are active threads about the caveman approach. So read up on that and ask the users there who have had success for their input.

MemberMember
(@justwater)

Posted : 08/01/2013 9:18 am

Thanks for the advice! I will check that thread out!

MemberMember
(@doddy46)

Posted : 08/01/2013 9:26 am

Spectro jel > Cetaphil.

No SLS in spectro and less ingredients overall.

...only available in Canada...

I agree to wash your face once everyday or 2. Your face isn't use to being left alone, it depends on cleansers now. So yes you'll break out some. Don't stop washing all at once. Work your way down slowly, to less and less washing. You may even find a medium that works great along the way.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 08/01/2013 10:12 am

I personally believe that not washing it at all (or not regularly) is better than just water. That's unless it's filtered water. Tap water tends to be very drying and irritating, it caused me to break out when I tried water-only with my regular tap water.

I use a cleanser now, but my skin always feels better in a mornings when it's not fully clean. If I'm not going out, I sometimes just leave it.

MemberMember
(@rheks)

Posted : 08/01/2013 4:33 pm

Hey, do not try cetaphil that's a really bad suggestion.

Cetaphil has SLS, Soduim Lauryl Sulphates

Which I just discovered it's really bad for the skin, it's drying, and creates a layer sitting there of some sort on the skin. Basically it's comedogenic, made that mistake with religiously using my face wash only to find it was stripping my skin from all means of a healing process.

Anyway, I'd honestly suggest not cleansing with these bought cleansers, but use oatmeal milk instead. That's what I am doing.

Read about it here if you like.

http://www.bubzbeauty.com/bubbi-likes/126-oatmeal-cleanser.html

I'd just suggest sticking to the simplest routine with natural products, or products free from certain damaging ingredients.

MemberMember
(@justwater)

Posted : 08/01/2013 8:19 pm

Which I just discovered it's really bad for the skin, it's drying, and creates a layer sitting there of some sort on the skin. Basically it's comedogenic, made that mistake with religiously using my face wash only to find it was stripping my skin from all means of a healing process.

Anyway, I'd honestly suggest not cleansing with these bought cleansers, but use oatmeal milk instead. That's what I am doing.

I'd just suggest sticking to the simplest routine with natural products, or products free from certain damaging ingredients.

How long have you been using oatmeal to cleanse? Does it seem to be working for you? Do you moisturize after?

MemberMember
(@rheks)

Posted : 08/06/2013 7:49 am

How long have you been using oatmeal to cleanse? Does it seem to be working for you? Do you moisturize after?

Well, I've been doing it for a couple of days, it does work nice, but not well enough for me to remove my make up so I had to get a gentle cleanser, but It may be good for your skin since you don't wear makeup.

Yeah I moisturize after