Notifications
Clear all

In Serious Need Of A Good Moisturizer

MemberMember
(@rheks)

Posted : 08/01/2013 8:07 am

Lately my skin has been a disaster, I've been trying new moisturizers for a month now ever since i noticed my skin just getting dryer and dryer.

I went into some research to the products I was already using, like my alpha hydrox face wash and glycolic lotion, to find out that the ingrediants were really bad and probably making my acne worse. I only just realised that today.

I have decided to use oatmeal milk as a cleanser, but I am stuck on a moisturizer. As of now I put on some good old dr organic manuka cream which always seems to calm my skin down, however I am scared it may break me out in the long run as it contains ingrediants that may clog my pores, though I've used it on and off for years and I haven't noticed any problems, but I know I need a light but hydrating moisturizer.

Obviously I am searching for one with no bad ingrediants and that is non Comedogenic, anyone help? I seriously need advice.

And please don't suggest jojoba oil, because it broke me out really bad.

MemberMember
(@isaacneedshelp)

Posted : 08/01/2013 8:27 am

From what i learn: If your skin is oily don't use a moisturizer, if your skin is like dry like you over wash let it produce sebun enough to tell that your skin better, i use avenoo clear complexion daily moisturizer it wont clog pores, helps fight acne well nourish the skin, and improve skin tone.

MemberMember
(@rheks)

Posted : 08/01/2013 8:30 am

well, i've heard even if you have oily skin it's good to moisturize.

Mine is very dry. I am guessing from over washing from my facewash not to mention it has SLS in it, i was shocked.

Well I was looking into the aveeno range, and it england they don't sell facial moisturizers. It's a real bummer. and i need something fast

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 08/01/2013 10:57 am

I use Cerave, doesn't clog pores....if you want to go natural why not try jojoba oil?

MemberMember
(@scotty8996)

Posted : 08/01/2013 11:58 am

I think you should stick with the moisturiser you're already using if it's causing you no problems. Ingredients that clog pores for some, are fine with others. It's whatever is working for you personally that matters. And if you've had no break outs from it then it seems like it's not clogging your pores at all.

Sounds a bit strange but I use an eye cream on my face when the weather is warm as it's lighter than my normal face balm. Eye creams are ideal for using on damaged, sensitive skin as they're designed for very delicate under eye skin. Most also contain ingredients that are anti-inflammatory, anti- puffy, used to fade dark circles etc, so it makes sense that that would also be good for blemishes too. The one I use is ... *Moderator edit, Link removed - read the board rules* Product name is good enough :)Their products are expensive but they're worth a browse through.

Jojoba oil might be good for you too as it's meant to balance skin. I haven't used it personally because I seem to be allergic to using oils neat on my skin. X

MemberMember
(@baldonius)

Posted : 08/01/2013 1:08 pm

Have patience with regular methods! Try to stop using so much moisturiser on your skin, your skin has adapted to this stimulus by ceasing to moisturise itself.

MemberMember
(@rheks)

Posted : 08/01/2013 4:17 pm

Hi thanks for the replies.

I am sticking to the manuka cream, but it's too rich to use as a base for makeup is why I wanted to find another one, i bought this la rouche light moisturizer on a whim, as it is has no agrivating ingrediants in it. I have put it on combined with my manuka and will see the results in the morning.

Also I had no luck with Jojoba, it broke me out really bad, pure oils just don't go well with my skin.

and

baldonius

no no my problem is that I am not moisturizing enough at all, the moisturisers that I had been trying and the one I kept using because I thought was safe, just didn't moisturise my skin at all, not to mention the face wash I was using was just stripping my skin. My skin actually amazingly feels a bit better today after not putting on the alpha hydrox lotion, and just putting on the manuka, it seems to have recovered it a bit, but my skin still looks like shit.:P

Whats your thoughts on the La roche moisturizer?

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 08/02/2013 12:04 am

elovera cream and cetaphil(it suits many and many hate it; one must see for themselves)

MemberMember
(@living06)

Posted : 08/02/2013 1:38 pm

Dermasil for sensitive skin is awsome or the aveeno oatmeal moisturizer

MemberMember
(@kevindreed)

Posted : 08/03/2013 8:41 pm

You've hit the dry brink. You can do two things use cetaphil moisturizer lotion for day and night till you feel its better, or use aquaphor over the weekend the whole day. Your face will be like a newborns baby butt.

MemberMember
(@rheks)

Posted : 08/06/2013 7:33 am

i've tried the cetaphil range, made me super greasy and breakout.

i am using this la roche moisturizer but I think it kinda sucks.

I am gonna check some of these suggestions out.. are they UK based, I kinda need something i can get from a local store. like boots.

You've hit the dry brink. You can do two things use cetaphil moisturizer lotion for day and night till you feel its better, or use aquaphor over the weekend the whole day. Your face will be like a newborns baby butt.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/06/2013 7:33 am

hey, what kind of la roche posay are you using now? I checked their toleraine range and one of the moisturizer for sensitive skin has pore clogging ingredients. have you tried clinique ddmg or moisture surge?

MemberMember
(@rheks)

Posted : 08/06/2013 7:55 am

hey, what kind of la roche posay are you using now? I checked their toleraine range and one of the moisturizer for sensitive skin has pore clogging ingredients. have you tried clinique ddmg or moisture surge?

which ingredients?

I am using their toleraine cleanser and the hydreane light moisturizer, they're suppose to be non pore clogging, i looked at the ingredients carefully and they have next to non.

Care to explain them or link me?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/06/2013 8:29 am

which ingredients?

I am using their toleraine cleanser and the hydreane light moisturizer, they're suppose to be non pore clogging, i looked at the ingredients carefully and they have next to non.

It's not the toleraine moisturizer (My mistake). It's the toleriane dermo cleanser. are you using that? I checked the ingredients and I found Ethylhexyl Palmitate (comedogenic rated at 4). I checked the hydreane light moisturizer and I found Myristyl myristate (acne rating:5). the reviews online about toleriane dermo cleanser are really good, but when I checked the ingredients, it has ethylhexyl palmitate. anyway, is it good so far on your skin?

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 08/06/2013 12:39 pm

The best moisturiser currently available in the UK to my knowledge is Eucerin Dry Skin Relief Face Cream Urea (5%).

MemberMember
(@rheks)

Posted : 08/06/2013 1:11 pm

which ingredients?

It's not the toleraine moisturizer (My mistake). It's the toleriane dermo cleanser. are you using that? I checked the ingredients and I found Ethylhexyl Palmitate (comedogenic rated at 4). I checked the hydreane light moisturizer and I found Myristyl myristate (acne rating:5). the reviews online about toleriane dermo cleanser are really good, but when I checked the ingredients, it has ethylhexyl palmitate. anyway, is it good so far on your skin?

shit really? :S they say that they are non comedogenic.

I dunno if they are, my skin is pretty spotty already, not got any new cysts. I read reviews for it too, and they were good... what cleanser do you recommend

I am scared to use it now, but I really have nothing else.

I did notice the moisturizer is terrible, dnno if it is breaking me out, but it's just quite bad and i think it's made my skin feel gross.. the cleanser seems alright though..

The best moisturiser currently available in the UK to my knowledge is Eucerin Dry Skin Relief Face Cream Urea (5%).

i dunno it has alcohol in it, cetyl and benyzl which i think both are pore clogging.. so difficult. dunno what to do

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/06/2013 9:45 pm

Rheks, non-comedogenic term in the packaging fools us. Even the sunscreen that I use says it's non comedogenic, but if I look up the ingredients. I find cetyl alcohol (acne rating:4). it depends on your skin, whether your skin can hold it or not. I personally avoid non-comedogenic ingredients when I'm going to buy a new product for my skin. you can analyze your skin product ingredients at cosdna, they have great resources.

currently, I'm using papulex soap free cleansing gel. It's alright and not drying. when I looked up the ingredients, I didn't find anything comedogenic, except it has dmdm hydantoin, but so far it doesn't irritate my skin. What about Neostrata? they have some face washes with AHA or PHA. it's pricey though.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/06/2013 10:30 pm

CeraVe products are what i recommend

MemberMember
(@rheks)

Posted : 08/07/2013 9:50 am

Rheks, non-comedogenic term in the packaging fools us. Even the sunscreen that I use says it's non comedogenic, but if I look up the ingredients. I find cetyl alcohol (acne rating:4). it depends on your skin, whether your skin can hold it or not. I personally avoid non-comedogenic ingredients when I'm going to buy a new product for my skin. you can analyze your skin product ingredients at cosdna, they have great resources.

currently, I'm using papulex soap free cleansing gel. It's alright and not drying. when I looked up the ingredients, I didn't find anything comedogenic, except it has dmdm hydantoin, but so far it doesn't irritate my skin. What about Neostrata? they have some face washes with AHA or PHA. it's pricey though.

Well the cleanser i am using, which 'apparently' as a comedogenic ingrediant in it, has been working fine, infact I felt my skin was actually healing alot faster...

I am still trying to find a good moisturizer, the one i have just isn't very good, it kinda just doesn;t sink in and flakes off

CeraVe products are what i recommend

I was looking at them, they didn't look good at all, a load of bad ingredients

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/09/2013 11:31 pm

I don't get the hype about cerave products. They are not 100% free of harmful ingredients, as they contain parabens.

I had luck with murad's clean scene moisturizer, even though it's for teenagers. I found it really soothing. Now I only use a night moisturizer (Image's ormedic bio-peptide moisturizer), and in the morning a hydrating serum with hyauluronic acid (skinceuticals), and an SPF primer (coverFX).

I also like Olay's Beauty Fluid (the pink one), which you can get in the UK too.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 09/10/2013 12:24 am

One of the best ones I've tried is the clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel. Lightweight but it gives me enough moisture throughout the day. It also sits under makeup really well.

If your skin isn't oily, they also have a lotion option. I opt for the gel because I had very oily skin.

MemberMember
(@rheks)

Posted : 09/11/2013 8:06 am

I am not sure about clinque, I was looking at the ingredients of their stuff, and it's awful.

I don't get the hype about cerave products. They are not 100% free of harmful ingredients, as they contain parabens.

I had luck with murad's clean scene moisturizer, even though it's for teenagers. I found it really soothing. Now I only use a night moisturizer (Image's ormedic bio-peptide moisturizer), and in the morning a hydrating serum with hyauluronic acid (skinceuticals), and an SPF primer (coverFX).

I also like Olay's Beauty Fluid (the pink one), which you can get in the UK too.

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 09/12/2013 8:57 am

Clinique jacked my skin up. I worked for them. That's when all my f'in acne issues started. I used the ddmg. I would NEVER advise anyone, unless they are NOT prone to acne, to use their products. Not even their acne solutions line.

MemberMember
(@rheks)

Posted : 09/18/2013 4:16 pm

I agree :) same with eucerin, they jacked my skin up so bad, my acne got ten times worse, i am still recovering from it now.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 09/20/2013 7:46 am

Look into dermaquest niacinamide or any other moisturizer with niacinamide. I also use dermalogica ultra sensitive sunscreen but a high end zinc sunscreen is a must. Some people here also got good results from argan oil and boots cucumber moisturizer