Notifications
Clear all

Honey And Its Potential In Treating Acne.

MemberMember
(@hutchdan)

Posted : 08/01/2013 7:49 am

So i'm doing a research paper on honey and how it kills bacteria, and i've been reading a lot of research papers on the anti-inflammatory factors of honey. Apparently its so antibacterial, many researchers are looking to honey to be the new antibiotic.

Hows this relevant to your acne? well here are some properties of honey that may be good in getting rid of /treating problems associated with acne:

As i said, honey is very antibacterial, and famous for wound treatment. Russian soldiers in WW2 would use honey on wounds, and it is reported that the application of honey massively reduced the chance of scarring, and often left little or no scars. This is perhaps because honey is rich in minerals, often keeps the wound moist and kills most pathogens in that may cause further scarring in the wound.

The interesting thing is that all honeys are antibiotic, but the way they deal with bacteria can be completely different. Meaning that different types of honey can have completely different effects on your skin, depending on your condition. However the way it treats infection often depends on the plant its come from. BUT ALWAYS GET RAW HONEY! local is best!

Application of honey has cured infections in wounds modern drugs and topicals could not. Mainly because there are a lot of drug resistant bacteria.

Honey is used to treat gastrointestinal problems, which have been shown to be related to acne. Manuka honey especially is said to reduce inflammation in the gut

Raw honey has a very high antioxidant capacity, antioxidants play a big role in treating acne!

Honey has a low GI, which means it doesn't flood your system with sugar, which contributes to acne! However its still a lot of sugar so dont eat in excess.

Its important if you do use honey, you should always use raw honey that organic! Supermarket "honey" is often laced with fructose corn syrup, which is terrible!

So how do i apply it?

Honey is best applied on open wounds ( ones you have popped) or scars, but it can be good in making your skin softer and fighting infections. I'm not guaranteeing it will cure your acne! But i am saying from what i've read it seems to have a lot of potential in fighting factors that cause acne! I would try it on myself, but i got rid of my acne through the paleo diet. I'm just leaving this here as i think it could potentially contribute to clear skin!

IMPORTANT for best results! Lab experiments often dilute their honey! This can increase the antibacterial properties, by increasing hydrogen peroxide I would recommend a mixutre of 50% honey and 50% LUKE WARM water. This also reduces the thickness of honey, which some people claim clog pores....

Or you could take a guilt free spoonful or two of honey each day, knowing its doing you good :) Any questions? Feel free to ask!

P.S i didn't go into scientific details as it would be too long.

All information was gathered from pubmed.gov

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 08/06/2013 2:59 pm

That sounds like a great research topic. Raw honey can be unfiltered though, so do you think it might be less sanitary? There are some types of raw honey that say filtered on the label, so I'm guessing that most raw honey doesn't get filtered.

What do you think of clover honey? Do you think it has the same benefits? I accidentally bought clover honey instead of regular one and have been using it as a mask...it helps with inflammation but I don't think it's as effective as regular honey.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 08/07/2013 6:26 am

i use dabur honey in my oats.am unsure if its all 'organic' but its a big OLD and reputed brand thats been there since my grandmum's era.

can i expect any 'good in gut' happening with this?

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 08/08/2013 12:18 am

I have honey on my face right now :)

Raw honey of course. I washed my face, then rubbed some honey all over my face, rubbed it in nicely so it doesn't drip (just a thin layer). Maybe I'll keep it on overnight, I've had good results with that in the past

MemberMember
(@ribbonettes)

Posted : 08/08/2013 4:13 am

I eat a tsp of royal jelly & raw honey 2x per day. And 1/2 tsp of propolis 2x per day. It's really making my skin glow : ] and I have less inflammation. I love this stuff it made my face so much clearer. I haven't tried using it as a mask though.. I think I'd rather supplement with it.

MemberMember
(@sustakp)

Posted : 09/19/2013 12:35 am

I eat a tsp of royal jelly & raw honey 2x per day. And 1/2 tsp of propolis 2x per day. It's really making my skin glow : ] and I have less inflammation. I love this stuff it made my face so much clearer. I haven't tried using it as a mask though.. I think I'd rather supplement with it.

Hi Ribbonettes, which brand of royal jelly do you take?

MemberMember
(@hutchdan)

Posted : 09/29/2013 5:26 am

That sounds like a great research topic. Raw honey can be unfiltered though, so do you think it might be less sanitary? There are some types of raw honey that say filtered on the label, so I'm guessing that most raw honey doesn't get filtered.

What do you think of clover honey? Do you think it has the same benefits? I accidentally bought clover honey instead of regular one and have been using it as a mask...it helps with inflammation but I don't think it's as effective as regular honey.

Sorry i've been gone so long! No, the human body is designed to handle far worse than anything unprocessed honey would contain (insect parts ect). I will note though that some bacterial spores have been reported in honey, newborn children up to one year are susceptible to infection but our adult immune system is far to strong for any infection to take hold. There are different types of filtering for honey, in terms of nutrition, eating honey in the honey comb (propolis) is fantastic, honey comb is so incredibly dense in nutrients and is antibacterial in itself. Any honey that isn't heated above 40 degrees is usually fine. Most processing of REAL honey doesn't take away any helpful effects as long as its not "creamed honey". I've read a little about clover honey, apparently it is one of the weaker honeys around... i would suggest something like buckwheat, its like the Guinness of honeys and its very dark colour suggests a high nutrition content. :)

i use dabur honey in my oats.am unsure if its all 'organic' but its a big OLD and reputed brand thats been there since my grandmum's era.

can i expect any 'good in gut' happening with this?

Its better if you eat the honey on its own, the oats would dilute the effect i would suspect. But thats a very good honey!

I have honey on my face right now smile.png

Raw honey of course. I washed my face, then rubbed some honey all over my face, rubbed it in nicely so it doesn't drip (just a thin layer). Maybe I'll keep it on overnight, I've had good results with that in the past

It makes your skin so smooth!

Propolis is one of the most nutritious foods around "In general, propolis contains 5 flavonoids, about 30 minerals (minerals promote life-activity of the organism), vitamins B1, B2, B6, A, C, E,¦ it contains various aromatic organic acids, caffeine acid, cinnamic acid, antibiotic compounds and others. It has from 8 to 17 amino acids including several essentials. It also includes material from the secretions of saliva from the glands of bees. Such materials include some unsaturated fatty acids, which are potent antioxidants." i mean no wonder you're feeling good.

MemberMember
(@ribbonettes)

Posted : 09/30/2013 11:33 am

Hi Ribbonettes, which brand of royal jelly do you take?

Eco bee farms

MemberMember
(@user354689)

Posted : 10/09/2013 9:42 pm

yes, i read of folks using manuka honey topically to cleanse their skin.