Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LucyInTheSky

Spironolactone: your opinions are needed ladies

biggrin.gif Hello to all of you biggrin.gif

I have been doing a lot of research on Spironolactone and Diane-35 and was wondering what your opinions are concerning SPIRO as a long term treatment for ladies who have not been respnding to other treatments... what do you think?

* Is it a woman's alternative to ACCUTANE or DIANE-35, YASMIN (etc.), and possibly a replacement for these drugs ? Which do you think are safer?

I am not an expert on Spiro or the other pills you mention, but I do know that Yasmin (which is the pill I am on) actually contains a small dose of Spiro. So with Yasmin, you get the best of both worlds - it is an oral contraceptive but also provides many of the benefits of being on Spiro, i.e. reduction of bloating, acne prevention, reduction in "male" facial hair, etc.

I have heard of women with moderate to severe acne being prescribed both Yasmin and Spiro to be taken together. Since I have, at worst, mild acne, I am not taking Yasmin as an acne treatment and have no need to go this route. But some have and claim to have had great results.

And in answer to your underlined question, YES, I do believe that Spiro can be considered a "stand alone" acne treatment for women with hormonal acne, since it is an anti-androgen. Therefore, it could be considered a "replacement" for other acne treatments, such as oral contraceptives, antibiotics, topicals, etc.

Just be sure to read up on the possible side effects of Spiro and consider the pros and the cons before you decide.

i've been on it for 1 month and it's great. My skin has never looked so clear.....Spiro has been a savior for me! I recommend it hands down over ANY bc pill....birth control pills are very bad for you. I got a blood clot in my lung b/c of it.

I have been on 200 mg of spiro w/o BCPs since April and my skin is 100% clear. I had mild/hormonal acne and since I have been on it have not had one flare up. The only thing I get now is an occasional non inflamitory bump on my forehead/temple area from sweating i think. I would recommend spiro to any female that has acne. I took BCPs years ago and never got results like I did w/spiro. I have had no negative side effects thus far. smile.gif HOpe that helps and good luck!

Hello everybody. Thanks for your answers.

I just started TODAY! YAY! ... a couple of hours ago, I took my 1st dose of 50 mg. Next month, I'll probably bump myself up to 100 mg if no change. (My OBGYN said if I needed to to increase to 100mg).

I hope that SPIRO will work for me too. It would really (really really) help my self esteem.

How long before I see results? I know I need to ba patient, but ...

BLUE EYEZ: You already have seen results after one month? Congratulations. That's encouraging.

yep, my results didn't kick in until the third week but its been fast paced since then....i have a few on my jawline that just came out but compared to the amount i was getting before, that's nothing. It was friggin ridiculous.

Oh i've found that sleeping on your back without touching the pillow AT ALL during the night makes a difference in jawline acne and temple acne too.

I started seeing rusults really quickly. Can't remember exactly, but I know I was already sold on the stuff after about 3 weeks. If you acne is more moderate/severe it may take a bit longer though so hang in there. Everyone is different.

Best of luck to you Lucy!!

You can read my Spiro log if you would like to hear about my progress (link is in my signature). If not here is a very quick summary: Less oil and clearing within first 3 weeks. I'm in week 6 right now and having a flare up, but I think it's because my habits went in the crapper the last few days!!

Keep us updated on your progress, I really like this group of gals we have doing this together!!

Oh, also, I'm on Ortho Lo, Tazorac, and Spiro. I don't take Ortho Lo for acne tho, but my derm said this was a good one to take for acne, although I've read mixed remarks about it. I DO think Spiro is a good alternative for adult women who have not responded well to BCP/topicals for acne treatments. As far as Accutane goes, for those of us who are well beyond our teenage acne years, Accutane is only a temporary solution. Hormonal acne WILL come back after Accutane according to my derm. I was also on Minocycline prior to Spiro and the side effects were too much for me, not to mention it interfered with my BCP effectiveness (yikes!). For the record though, I had excellent results on Minocycline.

I am hoping my derm bumps up my dosage on Spiro when I go in for my 3 month consult next month, because my acne, while better, is not where it should be! Again, best of luck to you Lucy!

Hey Shortee

Thanks for your encouragement. I left you a message in your SPIRO journal...

Blue Eyez

Sleeping on your back makes sense. However, it wouldn't work for me because of my boyfriend and cat. Every night, we all cuddle into this huge ball where every one is on their side, including the cat, who even props his head up on our pillows. Not good for acne, I know, but such a delight! My boyfriend is a musician and travels for some weeks at a time during the year, so maybe then, I'll be able to sleep on my back!

Thanks again for your time and helpful advice, ladies

It's me again...

I was wondering what kind of moisturizer you ladies use?

I have not really found a good one yet, and have spent I don't know how much money in my quest for good hydration. Ahhhh! How frustrating! Which ones do you like?

Lucy:

I used to use Oil free Oil of Olay but since they quit making it I found that Equate's brand (at Wal-mart) is $2, doesn't break you out, and works great for me. What a steal...

Rae

I use Clean and Clear Dual Action Moisturizer and I have since like 1995 w/no problems. It has a touch of salicylic acid in it (.5%) and is a very light moisturizer so if your skin is oily like mine, its perfect.