Notifications
Clear all

Green Tea - Confused

MemberMember
(@mauricen)

Posted : 07/31/2013 7:56 am

Hi.

Non-english speaking here, so some of my sentences may sound weird.

How do i start..

I have had acne from when i was about 13 years old up until currently 21.

In the beginning, it was BAD. Then after a few years i cut down on sugar and it went from bad to "okay".

Then i cut out dairy, and it got even better.

I recently cut out Gluten, and for the first time in my life i actually had "almost" entirely clear skin.

I was thrilled, and thought "how can i make it even better?".

I went online and read that replacing coffee with green tea should be good for acne, so i thought: "Well, i do drink coffee, so maybe i should do this switch".

I went out and bought some very good quality Loose leaf Green Tea and started drinking 2 cups a day.

This quickly went up to about 4 cups a day, and it was actually very calming to drink instead of coffee.

But after about a week, i went from not having a breakout in a month, to now breaking out pretty bad.

I looked online, and found that a lot of people had the exact same experience: Very oily skin, and breaking out in chin and forehead area.

I've never had a problem with coffee, so i actually doubt that its the caffeine (however, that is the trigger for most people).

A bit longer than i expected, but my question is mainly: Does anyone get acne from green tea, but are able to drink coffee?

MemberMember
(@hutchdan)

Posted : 08/01/2013 7:55 am

whatup!

it seems unlikely that green tea is the cause of your acne problem.. It very high in antioxidants and other acne fighting substances, unless you had some kind of allergy, which im guessing would show pretty quickly.

Whats your diet like now?

are you under a lot of stress?

im sure there's another factor at work here.

MemberMember
(@mauricen)

Posted : 08/01/2013 11:12 am

whatup!

it seems unlikely that green tea is the cause of your acne problem.. It very high in antioxidants and other acne fighting substances, unless you had some kind of allergy, which im guessing would show pretty quickly.

Well, that's the problem :) Everyone is always saying "Ofcourse green tea is good for acne. It has antioxidants!"

But when i look it up on google, the majority of people are actually breaking out from green tea (3-4 cups daily), and many others experience increased oily skin.

I mean, there are many things that are considered healthy from a scientific perspective, but have opposite effects when applied practically.

Then people say "Well, if green tea is breaking you out, then it's the caffeine. Gotta be the caffeine!", but i have no ill effects from drinking black coffee, so i dont think caffeine is the issue.

Green Tea is very high in fluoride, and i think this might have something to do with increased acne.

I live in Europe, so there's no fluoride in my tap water, and i use a non fluoride toothpaste, so my fluoride exposure is very limited. I found that a lot of people suffering from acne, have a problem with too much fluoride, so i think this is interesting.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/01/2013 11:25 am

The tea plant absorbs flouride from the water/soil, if there is flouride in the water where it was grown. So that may or may not be the issue. Rooibos tea is another that absorbs a lot from the water, but helps most people.

There is another component in tea that may worsen acne, but most people benefit. Why don't you cut back? You said you increased your tea drinking gradually. Did the acne appear gradually? And there are other teas to drink. And there's cocoa, unsweetened of course.

Green tea is also beneficial used topically.

MemberMember
(@hutchdan)

Posted : 08/02/2013 3:35 am

whatup!

Well, that's the problem smile.png Everyone is always saying "Ofcourse green tea is good for acne. It has antioxidants!"

But when i look it up on google, the majority of people are actually breaking out from green tea (3-4 cups daily), and many others experience increased oily skin.

I mean, there are many things that are considered healthy from a scientific perspective, but have opposite effects when applied practically.

Then people say "Well, if green tea is breaking you out, then it's the caffeine. Gotta be the caffeine!", but i have no ill effects from drinking black coffee, so i dont think caffeine is the issue.

Green Tea is very high in fluoride, and i think this might have something to do with increased acne.

I live in Europe, so there's no fluoride in my tap water, and i use a non fluoride toothpaste, so my fluoride exposure is very limited. I found that a lot of people suffering from acne, have a problem with too much fluoride, so i think this is interesting.

All I know my stomach can't stand fluoride toothpaste, i didn't know that about green tea, I've only read good things about it, even when trying to look for the bad. So how exactly would fluoride provoke acne? :)

I knew fluoride should be avoided, apparently it builds in your brain and causes some degree of cognitive lagging, but i'd need to read more about that to take it seriously...

MemberMember
(@mauricen)

Posted : 08/02/2013 6:09 am

whatup!

Well, that's the problem smile.png Everyone is always saying "Ofcourse green tea is good for acne. It has antioxidants!"

All I know my stomach can't stand fluoride toothpaste, i didn't know that about green tea, I've only read good things about it, even when trying to look for the bad. So how exactly would fluoride provoke acne? smile.png

I knew fluoride should be avoided, apparently it builds in your brain and causes some degree of cognitive lagging, but i'd need to read more about that to take it seriously...

I dont know exactly how fluoride and acne are related, but if you do a quick google search, you'll find that a lot of people are having problems with it.

Could be the reason that some people only have acne around their mouth, which comes from fluoride containing toothpaste not being properly washed off when brushing (of course this could be some of the other bad chemicals in toothpaste i dont know).

But i find it interesting though. And i agreee with Alternativista that tea leaves only absorb fluoride if there is fluoride to be absorbed, but this is almost always the case, and the far majority of Green and Black teas have a big amount of fluoride.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/02/2013 8:27 am

whatup!

Well, that's the problem :) Everyone is always saying "Ofcourse green tea is good for acne. It has antioxidants!"

All I know my stomach can't stand fluoride toothpaste, i didn't know that about green tea, I've only read good things about it, even when trying to look for the bad. So how exactly would fluoride provoke acne? :)

It calcifies your pineal gland and other soft tissues. I believe it misdirected the use of calcium. I don't remember exactly. We have a few threads on it that should explain.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 08/06/2013 2:52 pm

Green tea didn't help my acne at all when I started drinking it a few years ago. I agree about the quality of the water - it's best to make your tea with filtered or spring water to avoid fluoride as much as possible. Roiboos and oolong tea have helped me more than green tea...if you need some caffeine, try oolong. It has a lower % of caffeine than green tea and it's time-released so that it keeps you going throughout the day.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 08/06/2013 2:57 pm

Caffeine is awful for acne. You should try some kind of herbal tea like rooibos tea.

Green tea has general health benefits, but not necessarily for acne sufferers.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 08/06/2013 11:33 pm

does anyone know about the caffeine content of green tea?

i am told that thats not bothering.

but does 2 cups of green tea in terms of caffeine even count?