Notifications
Clear all

Egg Allergy? Cooked Or Raw?

MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 07/29/2013 10:14 pm

I believe that I have some sort of intolerance to eggs. I have tested positive on allergy tests in the past as well as had the idea that they may worsen my acne. I have only eaten cooked eggs but I have read from Dr Mercola that MOST egg allergies disappear when consumed in its raw form.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/09/02/why-does-this-commonly-vilified-food-actually-prevent-heart-disease-and-cancer.aspx

"Quite a few people are allergic to eggs, but I believe this is because they are cooked. When you heat the egg, the protein changes its chemical shape, and this type of distortion can easily lead to allergies. When consumed in their raw state, the incidence of egg allergy virtually disappears."

I still want to get the nutrition from eggs and the easy protein but haven't really been able to find any other information regarding this. I only buy pasture raised organic eggs that I wash prior to cracking so I am not too concerned about salmonella either. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

MemberMember
(@redsearch)
MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 07/30/2013 7:45 pm

Thanks for posting that. I read it and Dr Mercola addresses many of the claims in that article. Ahhh, which online Dr to believe.. Decisions, decisions lol.

"Beware of consuming raw egg whites without the yolks as raw egg whites contain avidin, which can bind to biotin. If you cook the egg white the avidin is not an issue. Likewise, if you consume the whole raw egg (both yolk and egg white) there is more than enough biotin in the yolk to compensate for the avidin binding."

"So, as long as you're getting fresh pastured eggs, your risk of getting ill from a raw egg is quite slim. According to a study by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, of the 69 billion eggs produced annually in the United States, some 2.3 million are contaminated with Salmonellaequivalent to just one in every 30,000 eggs"

MemberMember
(@surama21)

Posted : 07/30/2013 8:05 pm

Interesting. Im not sure exactly.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/31/2013 8:38 am

The whites are the allergenic part for most people.

MemberMember
(@redsearch)

Posted : 08/01/2013 1:18 am

Spartan, if you have a known egg allergy, I'd just stear clear of eggs altogether for a while. Start with 6 months and see where you're at.

I know that's a drag since eggs are such a convenient protein source. Organic hormone free eggs are great. But you have an allergy.

Try using a high quality whey protein in a shake or smoothie instead. It's fast and easy and has good bioavailability.

MemberMember
(@ribbonettes)

Posted : 08/05/2013 1:50 am

On 7/31/2013 at 7:38 PM, alternativista said:

The whites are the allergenic part for most people.

Agreed. Egg whites break me out, egg yolks do not. Like anything else it maybe different for others. Here is an article explaining it if you're interested: [Removed]