Notifications
Clear all

Do-Nothing-At-All Regimen

MemberMember
(@cavemaner)

Posted : 07/27/2013 8:18 pm

Yello!

I'm already on day 22 of the caveman regimen (no washing, no products, no nothing on your face) and I thought I should make a thread exclusively for my updates. I've already made a few updates here and there so you won't be in the dark in my beginning stages.

To preface a little about myself:

I'm a 21-year-old male, I've had persistent acne for the past almost 2 years, and everything I've been trying has not gotten perfect results. My last routine was using salisylic acid (Biore face cleanser) while taking Doryx (doxycycline) every day. I had been taking Doryx for the past 7 months, and since it's an antiobiotic, I have not been happy having to take it for such a long period. My acne was getting better, but it wasn't getting good. My skin would still pop up with new acne almost every 2 days, and the scars were healing very poorly. I have extremely, EXTREMELY oily skin (well, oily forehead and sides of face, but dry cheeks and lower half of face) and I was feeling discouraged because I was not getting the results I wanted.

I came across the Caveman regimen on a blog by thelovevitamin and it made me think about my skin and when I used to not have acne. Until I was 19 years old, I had almost no acne, and I would never wash my face with any products. I would get the occasional pimple, but I would never be concerned over it because it was only 1 and would go away relatively fast. I remember as soon as I got my first breakout at 19, I went to my sisters who immediately suggested I try all these different skin-care routines, and from there, I've always been doing something to my face twice a day. I have been hearing a lot of good things (as well as bad, but the raving reviews I heard kept me interested) and decided to try it out for myself. The plan is to continue this regimen for 2 months and move on if it doesn't work. Hoping for the best!

Day 1

My skin is very oily and I'm very grossed out. I have one big pimple developing where I was scratching and touching. Everything else is pretty standard, of the norm acne for me. Have a headache (unrelated) and feel pretty gross from all my oily skin on my face.

Day 3

I'm starting to notice flakes now. Well, they're either dry skin or the hardened oil I have sticking out of my skin sometimes (if that makes any sense). My skin feels very oily and gross, and unbearably itchy. I have to constantly pat my face with my shirt because my face feels so itchy at times. I've been developing a lot of whiteheads, fortunately none of which are turning red or painful. Water has only touched the bottom half of my face (when I brush or shave my teeth). Showering was difficult because water would keep running down my forehead from my hair (after shampooing as well), I'm trying to do full-on paleo without anything touching my face but that looks to be impossible.

Day 4

I think the caveman regimen just isn't for my skin type. My forehead is so oily and greasy and shiny and SO itchy and disgusting. I feel embarrassed to go outside. I've gotten tons of whiteheads in the past 4 days that weren't there before, and some of my acne is turning red and painful now. My cheeks are drying up and having the dry flaky skin that I've heard so much about online; however, I'm a dark-skinned person, and dry flaky skin is VERY noticeable on me. I'm hating this regimen right now and it's taking all my strength not to give up and pour salicylic acid all over my face.

Day 7

I'm on day 7 currently, and I'm having very bizarre results, and not sure what I make of the regimen so far. I'm getting tons of new whiteheads- however, the ones that turn into pimples heal up very quickly and leave hardly a scar (whereas with my old products, I would usually scar pretty badly and they'd take much longer to heal). Also, none of my pimples are turning red or painful, which is really great for me, since when I was using products, I was developing a new red pimple head at least every week. I'd take whiteheads over red, painful pimples any day.

My nose and cheeks are flaking like crazy, which I guess I kinda expected since those parts are usually drier. But it's pretty noticeable to me, which sucks. I'm very grateful that I'm hardly in the public eye right now, and only outside to do small errands (like grocery shopping). I would be much more insecure about this regimen if it were during the school year.

Face is still oily, but not as oily as it was the first few days when I felt very uncomfortable. I feel like I'm either getting used to it, or my skin is producing less oil, or a mixture of the two. My face is also itchy, but not as itchy as it was the first few days as well.

I'm only using water on my face when I need to shave (the lower half of my face doesn't really get acne, so I didn't have any misgivings about using shaving cream either, but I'm assuming a true caveman would go without shaving as well).

Day 10

So I am now on day 10 of the caveman regimen... and I couldn't be more thrilled with the results. I'm looking at my face this morning, and parts of my forehead and skin remind me of the youthful smooth skin I had back when I didn't use ANY facial products.

A few things: from inspecting my skin up close, you would most likely say my skin has gotten worse since doing the caveman regimen. The reason you might say this is because I have gotten a lot more small bumpy whiteheads in my forehead, that can be more noticeable than say, the big red pimples I used to get on the sides of my face. However, I know there has been dramatic improvement because of the following

1. My scars are fading away, and new pimples aren't leaving any scars hardly at all.
  2. My oiliness that I was complaining about earlier in this thread has almost entirely gone away and I don't feel gross anymore
  3. The pimples that do form last very shortly and do not turn red or painful, just big whiteheads that disappear after about 2 days. (Vast improvement from the big red painful pimples I had that would last 5 days).
  4. The big red pimples I used to get on the sides of my face (near my eyes and eyebrows) have almost vanished, and only faint bumpiness appears there now.
  5. My skin doesn't feel overly dry or oily like it used to. My skin has naturally maintained a balance between the two.
  6. Additional, minor improvement: my skin isn't nearly as sensitive when in the sunlight.

The regimen definitely isn't perfect, and isn't a dream come true. I'm still forming whiteheads, I'm still having pimples, and in the beginning stages of this regimen, I was scared to go outside in public (I highly recommend when/if you start this regimen, you start it when you know you'll have very minimal contact with other people, if you're a self-conscious person like I am). At some parts of the regimen, even as recently as 3 days ago, I wanted nothing more to do than just go on the Regimen and glob some 2.5 Benzoyl peroxide on my face. But I held strong, because I won't know for sure the success of this regimen if I don't hold out.

I'm still in the beginning stages of this regimen, and won't see fully-formed results probably by month 2. I'll keep popping in here to give updates, no matter how bad or how good my skin looks.

Day 22

And now... day 22. My skin is looking really great, and I feel great about myself. Again, let me say, it's not perfect. There's a lot of whiteheads still popping up, some red pimples every now and then, and flaky skin, but as opposed to before when I used products? I feel so much better about myself.

My skin has reached somewhat of an equilibrium in terms of oiliness, and now my skin no longer feels oily or dry at all like it used to at the beginning of this regimen or when I used products. My skin heals pimples over so well, and my skin is no longer sensitive to the sunlight like it used to be. My scars are healing up unlike before, and I have hardly any dry flaky skin like I used to.

I wholly 100% recommend this regimen to anyone who may find it worth it (for example, people who aren't using makeup don't have much to lose besides 2 months of your time by trying this regimen). Our skin is designed to repair itself, and cannot do its job when we keep attacking it with chemicals.

I will continue this log for the rest of the 2 months, and will keep updating whether it gets better or worse.

MemberMember
(@superwater)

Posted : 07/28/2013 8:37 pm

Have you been putting any type of water on your face? If you are gonna go caveman then I say go all the way and literally don't do anything to your face. Don't exfoliate or 'splash' with cold water at least until you are at least a month into this regimen. The only thing that touches your face is the pillow at night. Also, avoid water contact when swimming or showering!

MemberMember
(@cavemaner)

Posted : 07/29/2013 5:58 pm

Have you been putting any type of water on your face? If you are gonna go caveman then I say go all the way and literally don't do anything to your face. Don't exfoliate or 'splash' with cold water at least until you are at least a month into this regimen. The only thing that touches your face is the pillow at night. Also, avoid water contact when swimming or showering!

I've been shaving the lower half of my face, and putting water and shaving cream there... I don't want to not-shave so I don't know of any real alternatives to it? I don't usually get acne in that region anyway, so it doesn't seem to affect me to too much.

I don't put water on my face intentionally but it's incredibly difficult not to get some water on your face while showering. In the beginning stages, I let more water hit my face because my oiliness was unbearable.

MemberMember
(@superwater)

Posted : 07/30/2013 3:07 pm

You should really switch to an electric shaver. Also, when showering try to lower the head to the point where your head is above the shower head and just lean back to wash your hair (if it needs it!) I just went 5 days without washing my hair because I didn't sweat. Your face might be oily at first but just don't touch that and let it soak into your skin overtime. Then your acid mantle will start to regain itself and you'll be thankful. Also what day are you on?

MemberMember
(@cavemaner)

Posted : 07/30/2013 4:25 pm

You should really switch to an electric shaver. Also, when showering try to lower the head to the point where your head is above the shower head and just lean back to wash your hair (if it needs it!) I just went 5 days without washing my hair because I didn't sweat. Your face might be oily at first but just don't touch that and let it soak into your skin overtime. Then your acid mantle will start to regain itself and you'll be thankful. Also what day are you on?

I'm on day 25 now. And an electric shaver doesn't give me as close a cut to my face that I'd want. Also I sweat TONS! This method is working really well for me, even with the times water hits my face, so I'll probably continue as is for at least 2 months to compare my before-and-after.

MemberMember
(@superwater)

Posted : 07/31/2013 9:59 am

I'm on day 25 now. And an electric shaver doesn't give me as close a cut to my face that I'd want. Also I sweat TONS! This method is working really well for me, even with the times water hits my face, so I'll probably continue as is for at least 2 months to compare my before-and-after.

So, you're this far into the regimen. Are you still getting breakouts?

MemberMember
(@cavemaner)

Posted : 07/31/2013 7:46 pm

Depends how we define breakouts. I'm DEFINITELY still getting acne. But, too a much lesser degree! And smaller, less red, less painful. I also developed a bunch of tiny whiteheads on my forehead that can be unsightly only if you look very closely at my face. But, I prefer my skin where I am at now 100x more to when I was on my routine.

Rachie39 liked
MemberMember
(@superwater)

Posted : 07/31/2013 9:08 pm

Depends how we define breakouts. I'm DEFINITELY still getting acne. But, too a much lesser degree! And smaller, less red, less painful. I also developed a bunch of tiny whiteheads on my forehead that can be unsightly only if you look very closely at my face. But, I prefer my skin where I am at now 100x more to when I was on my routine.

That's good to hear. Try not to think about it that much. Forget about your face and it'll do it's job while you live your lifeteehee.gif

Rachie39 and Shellyr8 liked
MemberMember
(@cavemaner)

Posted : 08/07/2013 11:35 pm

Day 35

At the risk of sounding slightly conceited, I have to say this. I'M IN LOVE WITH MY FACE! God, it just feels so good to have better skin. It's not perfect, but it's getting there. There's still so much scarring from when I used to have bad acne left over, but my skin is in healing and reparation mode now. My whiteheads are so much less visible and smaller and fewer than they were at the start of this regimen. At this rate, by month 2, my acne should be pretty much done with (save for the odd pimple or two a week).

Please, if you're reading this thread and haven't tried it already- TRY IT! Your dermatologists don't want you trying it because then they wouldn't have a job! If you wear makeup and are a little hesitant- I understand, trust me, and probably wouldn't recommend it for you. But if you're someone like me who doesn't wear makeup and need to put products on their face, go for it! Try it for just 2 months! You'll be pretty surprised with the results.

I'll continue updating, just wanted to pop my less-acne-ridden face in!

MemberMember
(@cavemaner)

Posted : 09/08/2013 10:16 pm

Day 65

My skin... is cured. I won't be having to use these forums anymore or anything of the sort, so this is my final post here. Hopefully this thread helps someone who is interested in this method!

I don't get anymore acne. I don't need to use products and I don't need to wash my face anymore. I don't stare in the mirror for hours a day wishing I had better skin, and now I just pass by mirrors quickly to make sure food isn't stuck in my teeth. This regimen cured my skin, and I 100% believe it can help many others if they just give it a shot. I don't think I ever would have given it a shot if I didn't read and watch other people's reviews of it, so I really hope this pushes someone to give it a shot.

My skin isn't perfect, it's not pretty and whenever I scrape a fingernail across the surface of my forehead when I'm sweaty, I get lots of gunky dead skin underneath my nail (I know, sounds freakin' gross). But I prefer this 100x over what I used to have, which was more pimples than I could count using my fingers, and feeling embarrassed to leave the house sometimes. And sometimes feeling like people were staring at my acne.

My only acne I get now is because of when my face touches my girlfriend's face (who uses a lot of products, and chemicals/retinoids for her acne). Now I'm doing everything I can to respect her feelings but at the same time, avoid contact with her face on my face.

To everyone fighting the long battle- I feel for you more than anything. I know how terrible it feels, but I promise, it gets better! Don't give up! Thanks for letting me rant, bye everyone. :)

Rachie39, DannyChicken12, nas777 and 2 people liked
MemberMember
(@twosteps)

Posted : 09/13/2013 12:22 am

Real happy for you buddy I wish I had the balls to just go for it. In the last year or so I've started toning down the treatments I use but I still use BP at night and wash 2x a day. I hope to one day be where you are but I gotta ween myself onto it. Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@cavemaner)

Posted : 11/24/2013 8:13 pm

Day 143

I thought I'd revisit this thread to update on how my skin has been doing.. and other things that may help your journey while doing the Caveman Regimen. My skin looks better than it has in years now, but I've definitely had some bumps since my last posting. Here's what I've learned from those bumps.

Number one: Don't put anything on your face before you sleep. What does this mean? Your face is dry, maybe from washing it with water or shaving, don't put cream on it before bed. The cream will spread across your face as you twist and turn during the night, onto your pillow, and then back onto your face. The cream will clog your pores and give you bad acne. I've learned my lesson from this, after wondering for a week why my acne had flared up so much at one point. I was using small amounts of cream at night!

Number two: Washing your face with water twice a day is A-OKAY (once in the morning, once at night). Water will help get rid of that gross dead skin and oil on your face, just make sure to scrub your hands with soap before putting your hands on your face (keeps all those nasty things you touch during the day away from your face).

Number three: Stop touching your face! Dude, seriously... that's gotta stop.

Number four: Don't give up. It'll work for you, if you can learn one thing at all from my diary is that I was very discouraged in the beginning and became more encourage as time progressed. Stick to it and you'll see the results you want to see!

And that's about it for now... good luck guys.

MemberMember
(@paul051966)

Posted : 11/25/2013 10:37 am

I'll also try to blog my results weekly to help out those thinking about trying this.

Just finishing up 2nd week of caveman, not extreme.

I'm 47. I am very fair skinned, with Rosacea, also acne since early highschool. Very bad allergies/sensitive, seem to be allergic/sensitive to everything, even water. I did the no wash before, and allowed only shower water to get on my face, with poor results. I would get a very thick dead skin layer and my pores would clog instantly, and I'd get cystic acne.

The difference this time:

• No showers. I am trying to avoid hard water and minerals at all costs, not even filtered water which has minerals. My body skin is so much better without taking showers, very smooth and hydrated.
  • Minerals, in particular calcium, mixes with sebum and causes the oil to become hard, and can clog pores and cause acne.
  • I only let distilled water touch my face, splashed on in the evening and some mornings, no rubbing.
  • I do the same for my scalp maybe once per week, depends on how thick and itchy my dead skin layer is.
  • The dead skin layer is thickening, but seems smooth and light, and my skin is able to breath - and that is saying something.
  • Normally, with hard water, I'd be breaking out like mad.

I am still getting a few pimples, mainly around my upper forehead, and hairline area, but not a big deal, and overall it feels like things are headed in a positive direction.

My plan is to go another 2 weeks before attempting to carefully take the dead layer off. Would be awesome if I didn't have to, but not planning on that yet. I do not want to use a wash cloth, it's way to abrasive for my thin skin.

cavemaner liked
MemberMember
(@paul051966)

Posted : 11/25/2013 11:12 am

Day 17 for me:

Now getting thicker dead skin mask. I was very tempted to gently massage it off last night, but didn't. Since I exercise each night and did dry sauna as well, the dead skin loosens up easily due to the sweat. Also, I'm not dabbing the sweat with a towel, to avoid adding bacteria and also to allow my skin to get moisturized naturally for an extra hour or 2 before splashing distilled water.

Once I get home, I splash some distilled water, room temp from a clean bowl, onto my face. You can see a huge amt of dead skin after this. It's very visible and could easily be rolled away. I also let it air dry, again to avoid adding bacteria from a towel. Even a clean towel will most likely have some bacteria. Also, I think letting air dry allows the water to soak in a bit and add some moisture.

So my current regimine,

1. Distilled water only touches my face. Splashed on each evening. Using Distilled is critical for me. I cannot handle minerals on my skin. It's the only way I could do this regimine. Hard water has helped destroy my skin along with chemicals.

2. Currently, not splashing water on my face in am, but may do this on occasion, we'll see. I think once my dead skin slows, it will be easier to not put distilled water on in the am.

3. No showers! I haven't taken a shower in 2 weeks, and my body skin is doing great. No dryness anywhere. I only use some distilled water for my private areas and feet each evening. No smell from my under arms either just wiping with a little distilled water, despite exercising each evening.

4. For my scalp, dead skin build up there too, but very little itching. I'm splashing some distilled water on my scalp once per week right now. My scalp would get acne as well, in particular around my hair line, but now nothing, my scalp is very calm even with the dead skin layer.

5. Overall oiliness is very little right now, much calmer using this method.

6. Acne is also very little. I only get a small one here or there, usually around my hair line/forehead area. But even there, it comes and disappears quickly - very manageable.

Overall, I much rather have this dead skin mask then have acne. And I'm hoping from reading from others who have had success using this therapy, that the dead skin will lessen as time goes on.

MemberMember
(@paul051966)

Posted : 11/26/2013 9:41 am

Day 18

• Again, major exercise and sweat session last night. I exercise daily, doing at least core and cardio on rest days. I love it. Not only is it great for body, but for mind.
  • After an hour or so, I splashed distilled water from a clean bowl onto my face only, not scalp, except hair line which cannot be avoided.
  • Let air dry. So much dead skin, everywhere, worse on cheeks and temples, not as bad on forehead and sides of face. I used to get major dead skin build up upper portion of cheeks next to nose, but that area is less now it seems.
  • The good thing, I can easily rub or roll much of the dead skin layer off it seems when it gets wet, especially after an exercise/sweat session.
  • Again no shower, just rubbed some distilled water under arms etc.. no smell. My shirt is a different story.
  • This morning, skin was a bit itchy and overly flaky, so splashed distilled water on face from clean bowl, air dry.
  • No pimples anywhere except a couple teenies at upper foreheard/hair line, that you couldn't see unless you examined close up.
  • Skin feels so refreshed and moisturzed splashing distilled water and allowing to air dry.
  • Dead Skin layer is thick, but still breathable for my pores - amazing really. It's also amazing, no pimples from all of this dead skin that usually clogs my pores.

Things to keep in mind for me:

• Avoid hard water at all costs with any part of my body other than hands, hard to avoid that
  • Avoid showers, especially heated, that is a big no no. The chlorine and minerals from the hard water while opening my pores from the heated shower creates a feasting ground for irritation, destruction of the protective acid mantle = cystic acne.
MemberMember
(@paul051966)

Posted : 12/04/2013 12:56 pm

Day 24

Took off much of the dead skin layer on Sat night from face and scalp. This was after 3 weeks of build up. It was so thick. On my scalp in particular, I was only able to get off the top layer, because I didn't want to dig too deep. I felt I had to before work this morning. After a work out, splashed distilled water on, and while wet, I used my finger nails as gently as I could. The dead skin was pretty loose due to my work out.

I've done this before, but never went this long before doing so. In the past when I would allow my skin to build up the dead skin from just the water cleansing, it was shower water allowed to run over my face. I would get major issues like clogged pores, a few cystic acne, much of that due to hard water aggravating my skin and the heat of the shower water certainly contributed.

This time around, using distilled water, minimal issues under the dead skin. Just a couple older pimples that were still healing so they were red and became slightly inflammed due to taking off their protective layer of dead skin. Overall skin red and on the raw side. Skin calmed down within a few hours turning mostly pinkish.

Now, skin mostly calm and we'll see how much dead skin I accumulate going forward. Will continue to post as time goes on, most likely weekly.

One thing I noticed which was nice, after my work out last night and allowing sweat to stay on, no burning at all, and actually quite soothing. I was debating whether or not to splash some distilled water on last night before bed, and did. Probably should have just done nothing. Did not splash any water on this morning.

Also I have noticed, oil production is much less and hardly noticeable at all, itching and sensitivitly has lessened. Of course, breakouts much much less.

Paul

Day 26

• Took much of dead skin layer off on Nov 30. Huge amounts from scalp.
  • That night, skin was raw immediately after, red and irritated, one area that is always a problem spot (very sensitive with an enlarged sebaceous gland underneath), felt like a pimple was forming or even possible cystic, kind of scary. Another healing cystic pimple from weeks prior, now exposed as the dead skin layer above taken off, very red, basically new skin that is exposed and now will need some more time to heal over, no traces of old pimple activity though.
  • Next day, itchy and red over much of face, sensitive, no flakes or dead skin apparent.
  • Next day, starting to see skin heal over, less redness, more pink,, not as much itching.
  • Yesterday, skin was getting a layer of thin and light oil as day progressed, no dead skin or flaking apparent, pink in color - good color for me.
  • Today, off from work, cold this morning in Los Angeles, skin lighter, some dead skin film starting to form, in particular over areas where I didn't get all of the layer from Sat night off. Skin is nice light pink color. The area that I feared might get a cystic pimple never came out. I can still feel a slight pain under skin, but very small amt and only if I touch it, good sign for me that if anything, it should be a tiny one worst case scenario.
  • I have been rinsing with distilled water on face night and morning since Saturday night. This morning, nothing. No oil present anywhere. Some in part to possible new dead skin layer forming, but not itching at all, no redness, nice light pink color, face not inflammed at the slightest. Some of this is in part due to the cold dry temp this morning, but no flaking and no oil are good signs.
  • Old healing cystic acne continues to lighten and healing. General overall feel and appearance is good and I feel is progressing in a positive way.
  • Right now, it feels like this is just the next cycle in the healing process. If things go as planned, the dead skin layer will be less than the first phase before coming off and skin acid mantle will continue to get better. My goal though is NOT to take off any dead skin, to allow it to come off on its own.

Right now, I'm happy. Saturday night and the next couple days, I was scared as my skin was raw, did have some really sensitive areas with small pimples and even a possible cystic acne, but not completely unexpected due to stripping the dead skin off. That was a traumatic exercise for my delicate skin. Thanks to past posters about their experiences after taking their first dead skin mask off, the raw exposed skin under would take a few days to heal up, and there might be some rough patches, so didn't completely freak out.M

More to come..

Paul

MemberMember
(@paul051966)

Posted : 12/09/2013 11:04 am

Day 31 / Mon / 12-9-13

Recap: Saturday night Nov 30, end of 3rd week of my Caveman skin care routine, is when I took off much of my dead skin mask, at least as much as I could get while trying to stay gentle, there was more that could have come off, in particular my scalp - huge amounts. It left my skin very red and tender, with a couple pimples - rising to surface that may have been covered by the dead skin layer. Until this time, they had not been noticed, probably because I had so much dead skin. They did not turn cystic, and cleared in a couple days. When my face gets irritated, I break out in that area of irritation, whether it be from something rubbing it like a hat along hair line, drying it out using a cleanser, or hard water. So many different ways my skin gets irritated, as a matter of fact, constant state of irritation is how I would describe my skin. Anything and everything aggravates it, weather (temperature, pollution, wind)., chemicals, stress, just touching it etc...

The next day, still very tender, less red.

Next day, again less red, more pinkish, less tender. One deep cystic type acne coming to surface, few very small pimples various areas, nothing alarming.

By Friday, that one that seemed to show signs of a cystic type acne (painful, red, no head forming, large surface area, deep under skin) basically gone, yes just went away. Amazing really and a very good sign. I can't remember a time when this has happened before. Always, these come out over days, and can take many weeks to heal, then end up possibly causing a scar because they are so deep. Not this time. Overall skin very nice and pink, dead skin layer reforming, but not as thick as when I started. My routine continues to be, distilled water from a bowl, room temp (which is pretty cold now a days), splashed on face and once in a while on scalp, evening and morning. No rubbing. On scalp, I do massage in. I have been lightly towel drying, very gently just dabbing, still leaving face fairly moist. Making sure the towel is clean, new towel each time. My skin likes it, feels refreshing and seems to drink in the water.

Another good sign. I sweat each evening from working out, and do dry sauna - 10 min tops, to really get a good sweat to get those toxins out. I do not pat dry it. I leave it on for at least a couple hours before splashing with my evening distilled water. During the first 3 weeks, sweat on my face would be close to painful. Now, the sweat feels comforting, and seems to sink in much better. In the past, the sweat would just sit atop irritated, red, swollen skin, with dead skin patches that were thick and flaky similar to a wound scabbing over trying to heal, but never would.

Saturday, again nice, didn't splash water on in the morning, barely any flaking or itchy areas. Dead skin layer is there, but fairly thin still. Skin is much less inflamed, and even sinking in a bit. That is a very good sign, normally my skin is swollen and red. Sinking in a bit around my bone structure is a good sign, this is more natural for me as I am lean from working out w/cardio daily. Usually my body is lean, but my face is red and swollen complete opposites.

Today, skin continues to be a nice pink color, only a couple very small pin prick sized pimples around my forehead area, and spread out, but so small, tomorrow they could be gone and you wouldn't know they were there. My skin will never be white unless the dead skin layer is thick enough to cover my thin rosacea skin. So the best I'll get is pink and this to me means healthy. The dead skin layer is there and getting thicker, but still overall much less compared to this time when I started.

So after 1 week when I first started, pretty thick dead skin, itchy, combination of dry/oily patches, flaky at times, sensitive, sweat would tend to burn if left on.

Now, after 1 week - post dead skin layer removal, skin overall pink and healthy color, dead skin layer less thick, less itching, less pimple prone, more even texture - barely any oil accumulation, barely any flaking patches. I feel I could go without splashing distilled water on in the AM, however I still will, as it seems my skin likes it, seems to get hydrated and absorbs it to a degree.

This is a positive report. I am happy. Although I will temper my enthusiasm because still early in the game. We all know about that emotional roller coaster, how early good results get dashed within a week or 2. I am still hoping to get less and less dead skin as I go forward and hope that I don't feel I have to take off the next layer, that it will just come off naturally on its own.

Things I must avoid and are being confirmed now:

Hard Water (I am so allergic)

Hot or even warm temp water

Cleansers

Rubbing

One last positive sign. I normally could not drink coffee pre-caveman. If I did, I would itch like crazy, my red flaky patches would get more inflamed. In the past one time, I even got hives when my immune system was low as I hadn't been feeling well that day. Now, I'm drinking black coffee in the morning, usually 1-2 cups max, but almost no itching at all, no skin inflammation. I do need to keep it to a minimum though as my stomach can't handle more than a couple cups.

I'll report again in a few days.

MemberMember
(@paul051966)

Posted : 12/12/2013 6:18 pm

Day 34 / Thur, 12/12/13

Continued progress, I am happy to report.

I did get some breakout, small whiteheads, couple red larger, on my now most sensitive area - forehead to upper hair line. I am not getting any new pimples at all on my face which is amazing. Now, I did drink lots of coffee yesterday morning, and this seemed to aggravate those areas where I broke out, but I really am interested in testing how I do drinking my nemesis coffee and so far, still tolerate it very well overall. I only drink it in the am and no more than 2 cups. I have Rosacea, and coffee is bad for that as well, another reason I'm so sensitive to it. Rest of day, tea and water.

Dead skin is there and seemed to be more last night. After splashing face with distilled water and pat dry, I did brush off just a little of the dead skin that appeared loose around my cheeks. I was very gentle and did so very very lightly and no issues.

Today, my breakout areas pretty much gone, no itching, no discomfort at all, those bumps have greatly diminished or gone completely - again happily surprised. If I look really close, I can still see a few, but they are very small. You'd have to look close up. Normally, with a pimple I get an associated inflammation.

Skin overall looks healthy, no itching, dead skin build up is much less than when I started. I really can't see any excess oil anywhere. Skin is smoother and softer, but yet stronger, less sensitive and brittle than before starting this distilled water face rinse (no rubbing - except scalp). Also, no showers, just sit in tub and use distilled water from a bowl to cleanse body after nightly workouts. Normally, taking warm showers using hard water in the winter causes dry areas on lower legs.

I hope to do this for the rest of my life, it's definitely not difficult and only takes a couple minutes. I do daily night/am distilled water rinse because it feels like I get less dead skin build up. I hope to do less frequency if my skin continues to progress and heal up.

So far so good, long ways to go, but happy right now. I will continue to post.

MemberMember
(@paul051966)

Posted : 12/18/2013 2:36 pm

Day 40 / 12-18-13

• Didn't use water last night even after sweating from workout/sauna, or this morning, skin actually feels better, less dry and patchy, like there is a bit of a light oily film, but very light, just a little flaking - not very noticeable. The dead skin is there, but so much less than the first 3 weeks and my underlying skin is accepting it with much less itching. Hoping this is a sign of continued healing.
  • Skin color overal pinkish, but well blended, really no blotchiness, no red or inflammed areas.
  • Dead skin film blends in pretty well and still really not clogging my pores. I know it's there and I can feel it, so I am constantly touching my face wanting to rub off some, also testing it - searching for pimples or clog pores, but there are no pimples whistling.gif), just that dead skin layer. I really need to stop touching my face. It's also nice to see that even with touching my face, I'm still not getting any pimples, so my acid mantle is getting better - love that!
  • I'd really like to not put any distilled water on my face for more days straight, but we'll see how it goes tonight after my workout w/sauna and resulting sweating. I really think getting a good sweat each day helps with this approach, as we know it's gets the toxins out, but also seems to help clean my face and helps keep my dead skin from getting too thick and attached to the underlying healing layer.
  • Was nice to have the sweat from my workout last night stay on my face the entire night, allowed to soak in. No issues from that, other than slight increased sensitivity and itching right after and right when I went outside, but as soon as the sweat fully soaked in and my skin dried, no itching at all.
  • Normally, whenever I have a sensitive area or have an itch, it's caused by a pimple, not now, usually goes away quickly and usually no pimple associated, or increased redness.
  • Last thing, noticed no pimples around my forehead area/hair line, possibly due to not water being used for a day, could be that even distilled water slightly dries or irritates and could be the cause for that. Even then, those pimples are mostly small, very little if any inflammation, less annoying, hardly noticeable, and usually heal quickly.

Will touch bases in a few days.

cavemaner liked
MemberMember
(@cavemaner)

Posted : 12/20/2013 1:54 am

Paul,

Love reading your detailed diary here, and I'm really glad you're getting some good results. Keep it up, really informative for people who are looking into this regimen.

MemberMember
(@paul051966)

Posted : 12/20/2013 8:46 am

Big thanks to you too! Reading your detailed info really helped me get through some of the more difficult days, and it's also very helpful to read how you are still doing, there isn't too much out there past the few month mark.

Continued good health!

cavemaner liked
MemberMember
(@francis86)

Posted : 12/20/2013 8:19 pm

Hey Cavemaner and Paul,

Good on to you both for getting results that you have been after. Cavemaner, may i ask, during the those days between your post of the 65th day and day 143, what was the consistent state of your skin?

Cheers

MemberMember
(@paul051966)

Posted : 12/27/2013 7:00 pm

Day 49 / Fri, Dec 27

Not a whole lot of difference. I'm trying to avoid any water touching my face, just to try to expedite the skin healing process and to allow it to become possibly stronger on its own.

Last time I splashed water on was Tue morning. Interesting, that night skin was somewhat oily, especially on nose and forehead, and dead skin film looked less noticeable. 3 days later, with no water contact, it's less oily, but dead skin is more noticeable. Still getting a few little pimples, but nothing major.

Dead skin is more of a film on scalp and hair line. On my forehead, temples, cheeks, it's more clumpy and uneven, more along the lines of what a scab might look like, uneven thickness. Last time I took off any dead skin was on day 21 I believe.

Still no showers during this whole process, just splash distilled water on private areas. Body skin is doing great, no dry skin at all, color is really natural and healthy.

So the dead skin remains the biggest pain, but all part of the healing process I hope, and I'm really going to try to not take it off, until I feel I really need to. If the dead skin can blend in, then I'm more likely to leave alone.

MemberMember
(@cavemaner)

Posted : 12/29/2013 4:51 am

Hey Cavemaner and Paul,

Good on to you both for getting results that you have been after. Cavemaner, may i ask, during the those days between your post of the 65th day and day 143, what was the consistent state of your skin?

Cheers

Francis,

Great question, I noticed in that period while my skin continued to get better overall, I still had acne popping up, and some times more than usual. This, of course, led to lots of experimentation.

1. No cream on your body, no cream on your face, and no chapstick/lip balm before bedtime. Contributed hugely to me getting acne during this period, and took me a while before I realized why I was getting acne flare-ups still. As I said before, it will get in your pillow and it will give you acne.
  2. Stress. You're always going to get stress-acne, no matter what your regimen is. Keep your body healthy and mind stress-free.
  3. Nightly cold sweats. At one point, because of the stress I was going through, I had extreme trouble falling sleep. I began taking sleeping pills and sometimes I would stay awake after having taken the pills, which led to me getting cold sweats. This cold sweat induced acne for me, and it's interesting to note a lot of my acne during this period came from during my sleep. Which brings us to a summation point.
  4. Sleep. Sleep is a beautiful thing, and it rejuvenates your body in so many ways. We need good sleep for healthy skin. While fantastic, it's also very troublesome; we can't control what we do when we sleep. This means we can't control our hand that touches our face and spreads oils, stop our body from turning and sleeping with our face in the pillow, etc. Which is why we have to combat any foreseen issues that can arise with specific solutions, such as putting towels over our pillows at night, trying to become used to sleeping in supine, etc.

Hope that helps! But to answer during that period, my skin reduced greatly in scars, blemishes are disappearing, MUCH less pimples are appearing, and my skin is looking great in hi-def photos now. I'm on day 178 now- my skin isn't perfect, but it's a hell lot better than it used to be. This regimen will not be for everyone- it wasn't for my girlfriend- but I recommend everyone give it a shot if they have the courage to do so. I'm so so so glad I came across the caveman method over half a year ago. That's why I made this thread, to give those people reading this the same opportunity I had. That's enough from me for now, Happy New Years everybody!! Stay safe, and I'll be back with an update post soon. I still need to experiment with diet. grinwink.gif

MemberMember
(@paul051966)

Posted : 12/29/2013 8:46 am

Thx cavemaner

Day 51

Posting today because its the 6th day of no water touching my face. Until today I had not gone past 3 days because the clogging and dead skin would be too much to bear.

This time around it again was very tough until yesterday, as the day wore on my skin became less flaky, itchy, and red. The dead skin began to thin and become part of my underlying skin so it felt and appeared.

Last night and now into this morning skin is feeling strong, well blended, and moist. I'm now seeing what I've read about and for me it's hard to believe my eyes.

I have only a couple small pimples, almost no itching, or flaking, skin looks and feels healthy and stronger.