Notifications
Clear all

Feeling Down B/c Of Acne 🙁

MemberMember
(@asiahatesacne)

Posted : 07/27/2013 3:45 pm

Hey everyone, I have posted on here before and decided to create this post after my calmed down skin has recently started to flare up again. I think the answer is blunt - some people break out or see clear skin with birth control... well, I just went on the shot and BAM! Breakouts all over my face and they HURT!

I'm no longer in high school like when I created this account, but I still don't like going outside when my face gets like this, so I pile on make-up. Make-up is a hobby for me but it is also a life saver which prevents me from getting called pizza face too frequently (honestly, this used to happen all the time!).

Lately, I've just been feeling super down. I've had acne for ten years now and I'm way tired of it. It has cleared up a decent amount from since I was younger, but now that I have a job and college courses and a wonderful boyfriend... I JUST DON'T WANT IT ANYMORE!

It feels like there's a time in your life when you are just SICK of acne and anything associated with it. I am so aware that there are no "miracle treatments". I've tried every brand over the counter and just about every home remedy that exists. And still, my face looks like a battle field.

I feel less confident knowing that I'm getting older and my acne has showed hardly any signs of going away any time soon. Eventually, I will be living with my boyfriend and the thought of having to take my make-up off every night skeeves me to no end. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.

I hate when customers (I work retail) stare at me and seem to notice the bumps and red spots under my make-up. No matter how much concealer, foundation, and powder I use... someone always spots my horrible acne.

So how do you all cope with this issue - especially when it gets bad like this? Those random flare-ups that seem to control your life? I need some leverage or advice or something... I would go out and do a lot more things if my face was simple and clear. :(

MemberMember
(@kevindreed)

Posted : 07/27/2013 4:37 pm

I say try 2 full pumps of benzoyl peroxide day and night. If that works get aspirem benzoyl peroxide. It has the same strength as 2 pumps of bp without the overdrying.

If dans bp don't work for you then aspirem bp might not work. I am currently on the aspirem regimen and using cetaphil moisturizer with 30 drop of jojoba oil.

My skin has actually adjusted to the bp and I no longer suffer from dryness.

MemberMember
(@asiahatesacne)

Posted : 07/27/2013 4:54 pm

Thanks for the tip!

Actually, I have the worst of luck in the sense that I have mild allergies towards both benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid :( I tend to break out in horrible itchy, blotchy, red patches with tons of tiny little bumps (though skin does not become dry or anything). I'm especially allergic to products like ProActiv and Clearisil

MemberMember
(@torquemonster)

Posted : 07/27/2013 9:55 pm

Thanks for the tip!

Actually, I have the worst of luck in the sense that I have mild allergies towards both benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid 🙁 I tend to break out in horrible itchy, blotchy, red patches with tons of tiny little bumps (though skin does not become dry or anything). I'm especially allergic to products like ProActiv and Clearisil

Have you ever tried any sulfur based products? My skin doesn't tolerate BP or SA either, but I have had a lot of success with sulfur 5% / sodium sulfacetamide 10% cleanser and also sulfate-free cleanser/shampoo. I have been using these close to a year and they seem to be non-irritating. I am finding that a gentler approach works much better for me. It might work for you too.

MemberMember
(@asiahatesacne)

Posted : 07/27/2013 10:06 pm

Hmmm, that is something I have yet to really venture out towards... which products do you use? I have used AcneFree's (or Neutrogena's, couldn't remember which brand) sulfur mask and that didn't bother my skin but it also didn't seem make any changes to my skin. The only downside is, of course, the smell of sulfur eusa_think.gif yum, stinky eggs!

Whenever I have very bad breakouts and my skin is feeling "tough" enough to handle it, I use aspirin as a spot treatment and that works pretty well. I also use oatmeal masks that make my skin smooth but are so so messy. My skin seems to prefer the more natural things as opposed to the harsh chemicals in a lot of anti-ance products unfortunately. :(

I have tried all sorts of things on my face - lemon, oatmeal, egg, aspirin, green tea bags, yeah there's probably more but... that's besides the point. I feel they don't actively work as much as the more chemical-based products. Oh, the Burt's Bees acne cleanser seems to break me out as well! :( I use lots of BB but the acne cleanser doesn't work for me.

ONE product that has not failed me yet has been the AcneFree foaming day/night cleanser. That bottle has lasted me almost a year and I use it daily. It seems to dry my skin out and keep my acne at bay for the most part!

MemberMember
(@torquemonster)

Posted : 07/27/2013 10:21 pm

Hmmm, that is something I have yet to really venture out towards... which products do you use? I have used AcneFree's (or Neutrogena's, couldn't remember which brand) sulfur mask and that didn't bother my skin but it also didn't seem make any changes to my skin. The only downside is, of course, the smell of sulfur eusa_think.gif yum, stinky eggs!

Whenever I have very bad breakouts and my skin is feeling "tough" enough to handle it, I use aspirin as a spot treatment and that works pretty well. I also use oatmeal masks that make my skin smooth but are so so messy. My skin seems to prefer the more natural things as opposed to the harsh chemicals in a lot of anti-ance products unfortunately. 🙁

I have tried all sorts of things on my face - lemon, oatmeal, egg, aspirin, green tea bags, yeah there's probably more but... that's besides the point. I feel they don't actively work as much as the more chemical-based products. Oh, the Burt's Bees acne cleanser seems to break me out as well! 🙁 I use lots of BB but the acne cleanser doesn't work for me.

ONE product that has not failed me yet has been the AcneFree foaming day/night cleanser. That bottle has lasted me almost a year and I use it daily. It seems to dry my skin out and keep my acne at bay for the most part!

The sulfur / sodium sulfacetamide product I use is a cleanser. It is prescription from my derm doc and is manufactured by Alcella. It is a cream type of cleanser that does not foam up. I use it on face only, once per day in my morning shower. The gentle cleanser I use is Dickinson's Witch Hazel Foaming Face Wash. I wash face with it twice per day (morning shower, before bed). That's all I put on my face. Best its looked in 30 yrs.