3 Months In.. Clear...

Notifications
Clear all

3 Months In.. Clear.. But Still Experiencing Redness And Irritation.

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 07/26/2013 2:47 pm

Hello all!

So I'm about 3 months into the regimen, and currently it's kind of bittersweet... my skin is CLEAR, like haven't really had a serious pimple in weeks.. and I even managed to reduce treatment to once daily and maintain the same results.

The issue is I'm still experiencing REDNESS like terribly bad.. I look like a lobster that went tanning wearing sunglasses.. its embarrassing because the skin around my eyes and my neck are pale white.. whilst the rest of my face looks like I just got back from a summer in a tropical paradise.. I also experience occasional irritation.. but it's not to bad.. flaking and peeling have stopped for the most part.. if this redness would just simmer down, then I would have the desired results.

I currently have Emu oil being shipped to me.. it should be here in about 1-2 weeks time.. I hear that is a godsend for redness, and I even read on the forums that it has been a cure for many peoples "lobster face" on the regimen.. so here's hoping..

For whatever reason I also somehow think my moisturizer has some to blame.. also the jojoba oil I was using actually made my skin even more red.. I don't know why but my face gets more red the more moisturizer I have on it.. maybe I just don't react well to my moisturizer or jojoba oil? I dunno!

I currently am using CeraVe moisturizing lotion.. it's not specified for the face.. but I know plenty of people online using it.. hmm.

I could certainly go for some of your guys' suggestions! Should I switch moisturizers? Can you guys recommended one if I should? Do you think the Emu oil will do the trick? Should I just keep pushing on?

All your comments and opinions are appreciated!

Thanks all (:

PS: I should also note I tried Cetaphil moisturizer.. and I was allergic, broke me out in hives,, so that suggestion would be crossed out.

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 07/26/2013 9:19 pm

1) Are you still doing the Regimen only once a day? How is that working out for you in terms of keeping breakouts at bay?

2) I have pretty reactive skin, and I had more or less the same reaction to CeraVe. Monstrously red skin. In fact, I was doing OK on the Regimen in terms of redness until I tried CeraVe, and whammo! My face was fried to a crisp and I got those famous white circles around my eyes. When I say fried, I mean it too - I actually ended up with a burn on my right upper cheek.

3) I don't agree with jojoba oil either. It doesn't help my flakes at all and gives me dermatitis.

The moisturizer that has caused the least problems for me is Neutrogena Oil-Free for Combo Skin. It's not nearly as moisturizing as CeraVe, but it has a pretty short ingredient list and only contains one alcohol.

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 07/26/2013 9:28 pm

Yepp, Just once a day! and I use probably about 1.5 pumps.. and RARELY I'll spot treat during the day.. but it's keeping me quite clear.

I really feel like it has to do some with the moisturizer.. cause I mean my skin is smooth, feels nice, good texture.. but just angry and super red.. it's strange ahaha, like the CeraVe is doing it's job but just keeping me super red... I think I will try a different moisturizer tomorrow.

Is your redness problem solved now that you switched to Neutrogena? and what do you do if you get a little extra dry from it not being as moisturizing as you would like?

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 07/26/2013 9:50 pm

Yepp, Just once a day! and I use probably about 1.5 pumps.. and RARELY I'll spot treat during the day.. but it's keeping me quite clear.

I really feel like it has to do some with the moisturizer.. cause I mean my skin is smooth, feels nice, good texture.. but just angry and super red.. it's strange ahaha, like the CeraVe is doing it's job but just keeping me super red... I think I will try a different moisturizer tomorrow.

Is your redness problem solved now that you switched to Neutrogena? and what do you do if you get a little extra dry from it not being as moisturizing as you would like?

Well right now my skin is still adjusting to BP, so I'm really hoping the flaking goes away at some point. I don't mind my skin being a little tight, so long as it's not flaking up every time I try to eat. But for now, I'm fine with using a light moisturizer so long as it doesn't give me the horrible reaction that a lot of the heavier lotions do.

To answer your question... my redness problem was solved after I went back to Neutrogena. I don't get any redder using it than I already am from using BP. CeraVe and Cetaphil, on the other hand, were nightmares. Cetaphil was a pore-clogging puddle of grease that burned so much I had to wash it off. CeraVe burned horribly after BP... but even when I applied it on its own, without BP underneath, it made my face red. AyeAye also reported getting the same reaction to CeraVe. It sucks being in the minority, because a lot of people seem to swear by CeraVe, but oh well... all our skins are different. :(

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 07/26/2013 10:04 pm

It is quite frustrating, cause it does moisturize quite well, and it's not overly greasy.. but I will have to shop around for moisturizers and see what works.. I will try the Neutrogena one.

I seen older forum posts when you were on the regimen for quite a long time.. I'm just curious if the redness from just using the BP ever subsided to normal skin color? cause you say the BP does make your skin red some.. is this just cause you're re-adjusting to it now?

I'm just sick of having a white neck and a red/tan face D : aha.

MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 07/26/2013 11:57 pm

Hey I feel your pain there because even though I'm pretty much 99% clear right now I still deal with the redness. Here's the weird thing though...after I apply BP? (I only apply it once during the PM) NO REDNESS...face looks pretty nice and normal in terms of skin tone. But the MOMENT I apply any kind of moisturizer? Straight-up lobster red. Always a bit of a burning and tingling sensation too. And I've experimented with a few different moisturizers so I don't think it's any one ingredient in a moisturizer that causes this.

This is actually the reason I do BP application only at night because sometimes after the moisturizer I'll be red for hours afterwards (doesn't matter though because I'm just going to bed anyways) and when I wake up my skin is back to a normal tone and I never get the redness with just cleanser and light daytime Neutrogena moisturizer. Pretty weird!

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 07/27/2013 12:36 am

CeraVe actually has ingredients In it that reduces redness. I use the same moisturizing cream in the tub as you are using. I find it really calms the appearance of my face. I started using it while I was on accutane and I had the famous tane burn. If your not familiar with that it's basically your face looks red as a tomato and it's embarrassing. I found after applying my moisturizer at night my. Face would turn more pinkish instead of beat red. I know it helps! Maybe it's not the right product for you though, it could be a reaction or your skin just might be so sensitive due to the BP and your just showing irration. Your could mess around with switching up a moisturizer and see if that helps.

Also congratulations with becoming clear! It feels so amazing!!!

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 07/27/2013 12:50 am

CeraVe actually has ingredients In it that reduces redness. I use the same moisturizing cream in the tub as you are using. I find it really calms the appearance of my face. I started using it while I was on accutane and I had the famous tane burn. If your not familiar with that it's basically your face looks red as a tomato and it's embarrassing. I found after applying my moisturizer at night my. Face would turn more pinkish instead of beat red. I know it helps! Maybe it's not the right product for you though, it could be a reaction or your skin just might be so sensitive due to the BP and your just showing irration. Your could mess around with switching up a moisturizer and see if that helps.

Also congratulations with becoming clear! It feels so amazing!!!

I'm actually using the lotion in the bottle, i think it's more designed for body as apposed to face.. I was thinking about getting the cream in the tub.. cause its non-comedogenic, apparently very soothing, and I don't seem to have an allergy to the CeraVe brand.. which is more to say than other moisturizers.. Do you think the lotion is a lot more harsh than the cream? cause I might get the cream for night, then a more light daily spf moisturizer.. hmm.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 07/27/2013 1:20 am

I used the CeraVe am for my daily SPF which I liked while I was super dry. But I love love love the tub of cream. It is thick and velvety yet light and so hydrating and it works into the skin so quickly. I will never go a day without it for the rest of my life. It is a wonderful product

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 07/27/2013 9:31 am

It is quite frustrating, cause it does moisturize quite well, and it's not overly greasy.. but I will have to shop around for moisturizers and see what works.. I will try the Neutrogena one.

I seen older forum posts when you were on the regimen for quite a long time.. I'm just curious if the redness from just using the BP ever subsided to normal skin color? cause you say the BP does make your skin red some.. is this just cause you're re-adjusting to it now?

I'm just sick of having a white neck and a red/tan face D : aha.

Yes, it's because I'm re-adjusting. At one point I was actually using three pumps in the morning and three pumps in the evening without ANY redness whatsoever (just lots of flaking). After being on the Regimen for a while, the redness from BP subsided completely to the point where moisturizer was the only thing making my skin red.

MemberMember
(@kevindreed)

Posted : 07/27/2013 1:47 pm

I was using 2 pumps day and night but the dryness was just too much. I had to start using aspirem benzoyl peroxide. It has the same strength as 2 pumps except I only use a small amount of it on my face.

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 07/27/2013 2:20 pm

Funny thing is.. my face is very moisturized.. it feels nice, no flakes, not even any tight or dry skin... just discolored tanned/red lobster skin all the time ahah.. I'm going to buy a new moisturizer either Olay or Neutrogena and see how it goes.

MemberMember
(@kevindreed)

Posted : 07/30/2013 8:33 pm

I know exactly what it is. This was happening to me 2 weeks ago. Everytime I put on bp my face would be super red and feel like it was burning me. It would get redder and redder the next time I put on the bp.

I did a couple test to find out how to stop this. The key was to put cetaphil moisturizer before the bp. Then when the moisturizer drys I put on the bp. Then after the bp drys I put on the cetaphil mixed with jojoba oil. The results were instant. I no longer got redness on my face. I was glad because the pain and redness made me want to stop putting on the bp.

Never put jojoba oil before bp. I tested this and it gave me breakouts.

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 08/02/2013 4:52 am

I used the CeraVe am for my daily SPF which I liked while I was super dry. But I love love love the tub of cream. It is thick and velvety yet light and so hydrating and it works into the skin so quickly. I will never go a day without it for the rest of my life. It is a wonderful product

I took your suggestion and got the CeraVe in the tub.. cause I'm going to be honest, I loved the moisturizing effects of the lotion.. even with the redness I knew it was benefiting my skin so much. After the switch to the cream in the tub my face has reduced its redness by about 50% which I'm pumped about! and not to mention the cream absorbs better then the lotion, which actually kind of boggles my mind... but I won't question it! ahah.

Hopefully with KevinReeds suggestion of putting it on before the bp and letting it dry ect ect then continuing with treatment I might see even further reduction in redness and the mild stinging my cheeks still get.. and the emu oil I have shipping to me hopefully will finish the job!

Thanks for the suggestions (:

MemberMember
(@audabby)

Posted : 08/02/2013 12:51 pm

I just mentioned this in another post, but add vegetable glycerin to your moisturizer. Google vegetable glycerin skin moisturizer and you'll see all of the fabulous reviews. It absolutely amazing. I mix mine with moisturizer at night (just a few drops will do) and have it premixed in a spray bottle for the morning (1:3 ratio VG:water), for a lighter application to wear under makeup. It also makes it easy to spray on my back and the rest of my body. It was my saving grace during my accutane days and am hoping it will be the same during my Regimen days. One word of caution, if you do decide to give it a try, make sure you are purchasing VG that is manufactured in the USA. You can get it at Whole Foods, but its expensive there. I get mine from Wizard Labs (just Google). Good luck!

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/02/2013 2:49 pm

I took your suggestion and got the CeraVe in the tub.. cause I'm going to be honest, I loved the moisturizing effects of the lotion.. even with the redness I knew it was benefiting my skin so much. After the switch to the cream in the tub my face has reduced its redness by about 50% which I'm pumped about! and not to mention the cream absorbs better then the lotion, which actually kind of boggles my mind... but I won't question it! ahah.

Hopefully with KevinReeds suggestion of putting it on before the bp and letting it dry ect ect then continuing with treatment I might see even further reduction in redness and the mild stinging my cheeks still get.. and the emu oil I have shipping to me hopefully will finish the job!

Thanks for the suggestions (:

Oh that's awesome that you are happy with it! It completely boggles my mind that it absorbs so well too compared to lotion! It's so thick and creamy and moisturizing but at the same time it's light and absorbs super quickly and it does reduce redness and flaking very quickly! I just love the stuff, I'll never go without it. Normally moisturizing creams were a night time application thing for me but with this stuff I can put it on anytime without needing to worry about being oily and greasy looking! I feel like its the perfect product as far as moisturizers go. Normally a moisturizer with the ingredients CeraVe uses and the quality would cost 60$ or up. So I'm thrilled with the $14.00 bucks I spent on it. Plus I've been going off the same tub for 1 and a half now with 2 times daily use