Notifications
Clear all

I Can't Even Moisturize After Bp

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 07/24/2013 8:19 pm

I find that no matter what moisturizer I apply after BP, my face gets singed. Super-red, irritated, sensitive, burning skin. BP by itself isn't that bad, moisturizer just kills my skin.

I mean what the hell? This is extremely frustrating. When I used to be on the Regimen, I never got over the redness and burning caused by moisturizer, and the best results I had was when I ditched the moisturizer altogether. Sure, I had flaky dry skin, but I was acne-free and my face didn't look like it got dunked in boiling water.

So what am I supposed to do? I can:

1) Have a face full of painful pimples

2) Be clear but have a face full of flakes

3) Be semi-clear but have red, constantly burning skin

Gee, such attractive choices!

Is anyone in the same boat as me and just CAN'T find a moisturizer that doesn't react badly with BP? If yes, how do you cope? What do you do? Please, I need answers...

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 07/24/2013 8:28 pm

When I started the regimen all moisturizers, make-up, sunscreens were a pain to apply to your skin. It was kind of a struggle for me the first two months because it stung so bad. I basically was fanning my face even when I was in my office with the A/C on. It did go away though. I got clear before the redness and flaking even subsided. I guess just try and wait it out see if it improves.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 07/24/2013 9:04 pm

I think you need to stick out the burning for a few days without washing everything off if you can. Hopefully that will help. I had horrible burning and redness, and as much as I wanted to wash my face, I didn't, and now I don't have it (or if I do on occasion, it's mild in comparison). I'm still using cetaphil and jojoba at night and in the morning I've been using a tiny bit of cetaphil mixed with a lot of neutrogena moisturiser.

It could be worse / still happening because, from memory, you started with a lot of BP pretty quickly? If that's the case then maybe you'll have to reduce the amount of BP until your skin gets used to that amount with moisturiser (and the burning reduces) before increasing back up to the full amount and letting your skin adjust to that amount. Just a thought.

MemberMember
(@jingeeloo)

Posted : 07/24/2013 9:07 pm

Does the regimen moisturizer contain BP? I know the Proactiv does. When you use a moisturizer with BP in it you are not washing it off so that chemical just stays on your skin all day. BP is like chemo therapy - you kill all the good bacteria too so your skin doesn't heal.

I've had great success with an all natural line called Neaclear - liquid oxygen. I use their acne wash, blackhead astringent - doesn't burn or sting, and acne moisturizer that isn't oily and no BP.

I gently exfoliate with a wash cloth a couple times a week. And I also touch up with the astringent after I exercise when my face is all sweaty.

Also recently saw on this website to be careful of some of the bare minerals make up because the bismuth (I think that was it) in it can irritate sensitive skin.

Oh, I also read that because BP disrupts the healing process, it contributes to the red marks and dark spots. Great to know now after years of BP use and a face full of brown spotseusa_think.gif

But I have hope because everyday I see some improvement and no more active breakouts!

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 07/24/2013 9:09 pm

When I started the regimen all moisturizers, make-up, sunscreens were a pain to apply to your skin. It was kind of a struggle for me the first two months because it stung so bad. I basically was fanning my face even when I was in my office with the A/C on. It did go away though. I got clear before the redness and flaking even subsided. I guess just try and wait it out see if it improves.

When I was on the Regimen back in '10-'11, the redness and burning from moisturizer just never went away. From September '10 to summer of '11. I'd say that was more than enough time for my skin to adjust to BP... in fact, I had zero redness even after 3 pumps day / night, that is until I applied moisturizer over top.

I eventually dropped moisturizer altogether because I was completely fed up with the burning. So no, I don't think it's a temporal phase, I think my skin's chemistry just doesn't like some combo of BP and moisture.

Hence why I was hesitant to start up the Regimen again... I anticipated running into some kind of issue with the moisturizer step. Sure enough, it's reared its ugly head again.

MemberMember
(@2009suka)

Posted : 07/24/2013 9:17 pm

Hi Wombat666,

Try Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera Gel - 100% no alcohol as a moisturizer, you can find it at CVC or another farmacy.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 07/25/2013 1:06 am

When I was on the Regimen back in '10-'11, the redness and burning from moisturizer just never went away. From September '10 to summer of '11. I'd say that was more than enough time for my skin to adjust to BP... in fact, I had zero redness even after 3 pumps day / night, that is until I applied moisturizer over top.

I eventually dropped moisturizer altogether because I was completely fed up with the burning. So no, I don't think it's a temporal phase, I think my skin's chemistry just doesn't like some combo of BP and moisture.

Hence why I was hesitant to start up the Regimen again... I anticipated running into some kind of issue with the moisturizer step. Sure enough, it's reared its ugly head again.

Have you tried using just jojoba oil to moisturize? Also, do you really need the two pumps? I find that I can stay clear with just one pump in the morning and one at night. Maybe the burning and redness will reduce if you can stay clear with less BP.

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 07/25/2013 9:43 am

Have you tried using just jojoba oil to moisturize? Also, do you really need the two pumps? I find that I can stay clear with just one pump in the morning and one at night. Maybe the burning and redness will reduce if you can stay clear with less BP.

Well, jojoba oil just doesn't work for me. :( Another reason why I'm so frustrated... it doesn't do anything for flaking, and also I'm prone to dermatitis... for some reason jojoba oil just makes that go crazy. I recently gave jojoba another chance, and sure enough, the next day I had a dermatitis patch near my eyebrow.

I've considered one pump 2x/day. There's also the possibility of applying the full amount once daily and then just cleansing / moisturizing in the morning (which I'm doing now to reduce irritation, but I don't know how well one application a day will work in the long term), AND there's also the technique of moisturizing first and doing BP after, which some people have reported to work without causing burning / redness. I currently do the latter to spot treat in the mornings.

I really don't want to ditch the Regimen because it works so well for controlling acne in the long term, but I feel like I'll have to deviate from Dan's golden rules if I want to be happy with the results.

MemberMember
(@theonethatgotaway)

Posted : 07/25/2013 12:43 pm

Try salicylic acid and see if that works for you. It's less drying than BP.

MemberMember
(@kevindreed)

Posted : 07/27/2013 1:56 pm

Your skin is way overdryed before you even put the bp. So your making it get more and more dry day by day.

Your going to hit a brick wall like I did. You have to find a way to reverse the drying. Try moisturizing before using bp.

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 07/27/2013 2:31 pm

Your skin is way overdryed before you even put the bp. So your making it get more and more dry day by day.

Your going to hit a brick wall like I did. You have to find a way to reverse the drying. Try moisturizing before using bp.

Right now what I'm doing is applying BP at night only... and moisturizing with Neutrogena 30 minutes after BP application. In the morning I just cleanse / moisturize.

So far so good, the redness and dryness are slowly but surely subsiding. It might take a while to adjust because I just received new BP (more potent) and also only started using 2 full pumps on my face recently. But today I'm already going almost flake-free, despite using a very light moisturizer in the morning (Neutrogena).

By the way, what was that brand of BP you were using?

MemberMember
(@acneisacurse)

Posted : 07/30/2013 5:58 pm

Try using moisturizer first, and then BP. When I started doing the regimen I did this and it helped A LOT, all you do is moisturize 5 minutes or so after washing your face, and then put on BP 10-15 minutes or so after you moisturize. It took away practically all of the redness and stinging from doing it the other way around. Now I do BP first and then moisturizer because I've been on the regimen for 2.5 months and my skin is fully adjusted to BP and it doesn't sting/make my skin red at all.

Also, I recommend you try the CeraVe moisturizing lotion, it's really good and a lot of people say it's the best moisturizer. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@kevindreed)

Posted : 07/30/2013 8:16 pm

I'm using Aspirem's BP. If your flakes are slowly stopping I say stick with it. My skin adjusted to bp 3%. So I know it is possible. Give it some time see what happens.