Notifications
Clear all

Epiduo Worth A Shot?

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 07/24/2013 6:31 pm

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what people's experiences have been like with Epiduo?

To cut a long story short I've had breakouts of severe cystic acne since about May this year but have had moderate acne for 8 years now without a single day of clear skin. I've got an appointment with a dermatologist in September but really do not want to take Roaccutane so am on a mission to find something else that can clear me.

I've been to the doctor and am already on my 3rd week of Dianette (Co-Cyprindiol) and my second week of antibiotics (2000mg a day of Flucloxocillin for 10 days, now switched to 408mg a day of Lymecycline). I'm just wondering if whether it would be sensible to add Epiduo (prescribed at the same time as the Dianette) into this mix? My skin is improving slightly on the Dianette and antibiotics but very slowly.

My main reservation about Epiduo is the 2.5% benzoyl peroxide because I used the Regimen for about a year and a half and had horribly red, dry, sore and flakey skin throughout from the benzoyl peroxide no matter how much moisturiser and jojoba oil I used. My doctor said the combination in Epiduo is usually really effective but I don't know if the benzoyl peroxide is likely to behave the same or differently in combination with adapalene. In the past I've used Duac (which includes 5% BP) with no real problems but for some reason the 2.5% on its own with the Regimen really didn't agree with my skin.

So yeh sorry for the long post but basically would anybody recommend or discourage the use of Epiduo for cystic type acne and do you think taking this kind of three-pronged attack would be a good or bad idea all round?

Thanks in advance for any input! smile.png

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 07/24/2013 8:01 pm

I use it and it works ok. Im never 100 percent clear but it does work.

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 07/25/2013 3:27 am

Thanks CWR24 that's encouraging! :)

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 07/26/2013 7:01 am

Has anyone else experienced any success or failure with Epiduo? Any idea what it's like for effectiveness and/or side effects compared to straight 2.5% benzoyl peroxide? Would you recommend trying it?

MemberMember
(@emilyology)

Posted : 07/26/2013 9:37 am

Is it worth a shot? Absolutely. If you're not aiming for Accutane and have cystic acne, you'll likely have to exhaust every option you have available.

In my experience, all it did was irritate my skin and make it burn, but different people have different experiences.

This was post-Accutane (I had a flare up after taking a medication, which eventually went away with Bactrim).

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 07/26/2013 1:07 pm

Thanks emilyology I'm very keen to avoid Accutane at all costs! This is one of the only topicals I haven't yet tried but I didn't get on well with straight benzoyl peroxide 2.5% so am a bit dubious but will probably give it a go because as you say I'm getting to the point where I need to exhaust every possible option. I've seen a few people say it irritates and burns your skin. I guess I'll just have to hope that my skin will get used to it quicker because I've used benzoyl peroxide for an extended period before. Fingers crossed for better results!