Notifications
Clear all

Is This Acne?

MemberMember
(@superyew)

Posted : 07/24/2013 2:01 am

My brother has acne and my face looks different than what his acne looks like, there are no real "big zits" on my face and i just got put on accutane 6 days ago from my derm. Anyone have an opinion on it?

First pic is when it first broke out, it literally came almost overnight and broke out bad on my cheeks

The second pic is from a month later, no real "treatment" just applying benzoyl peroxide and stuff

And also that black/grey patch in the second picture, that is gone now. Not sure what happened there lol

And what you see in the first picture, most of the zit type stuff is gone and now its bassicly just flat no texture red patches, are those scars? and will those go away?

The third picture is today, as you can see the bottom isnt real bumpy like it was in the first pic, just flat and red.

post-213780-0-68350500-1374649239_thumb.

post-213780-0-22509400-1374649277_thumb.

post-213780-0-22149300-1374692203_thumb.

post-213780-0-68350500-1374649239_thumb.

post-213780-0-22509400-1374649277_thumb.

post-213780-0-22149300-1374692203_thumb.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/24/2013 5:16 am

visit a doctor as soon as u can.

u really need to.so please.

MemberMember
(@superyew)

Posted : 07/24/2013 10:59 am

I went to the derm, she pet me on accutane

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 07/24/2013 11:23 am

I'm sorry your skin is so bad right now.

It looks like your skin is trying to heal. Are you going to start accutane?

MemberMember
(@superyew)

Posted : 07/24/2013 11:43 am

I'm sorry your skin is so bad right now.

It looks like your skin is trying to heal. Are you going to start accutane?

Yeah, ive been on it for a week now, 2 40mg/s a day, you think accutane will fix it?

Also look in the pic below, that was a "zit" that appeared on my arm, it went away and now its just bassicly flat and red, and where zits were on my face also are like that, just flat and red. What are those?

MemberMember
(@superyew)

Posted : 07/24/2013 11:20 pm

Anyone else?

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 07/25/2013 12:47 am

The red flat marks are hyperpigmentation. They will fade on their own eventually. Since you're on Accutane your skin is going to begin to heal differently than it normally would. Everyone who has inflamed acne gets those red marks after a pimple pops or is being dried out. I wouldn't worry about them too much as its a good sign your acne is going away.

I'm sure you already know this but, be as gentle with your skin as possible. Always use sunblock. I personally like Neutrogena baby SPF but I know someone on here can probably tell you a better one to use.

MemberMember
(@superyew)

Posted : 07/25/2013 2:10 am

The red flat marks are hyperpigmentation. They will fade on their own eventually. Since you're on Accutane your skin is going to begin to heal differently than it normally would. Everyone who has inflamed acne gets those red marks after a pimple pops or is being dried out. I wouldn't worry about them too much as its a good sign your acne is going away.

I'm sure you already know this but, be as gentle with your skin as possible. Always use sunblock. I personally like Neutrogena baby SPF but I know someone on here can probably tell you a better one to use.

Do you think sitting out in the sun for 30 minutes a day is bad for my skin? Should I put on sunblock even for that little of time?

And will the accutane get rid of the Hyperpigmentation? Or is there something else I should do

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 07/25/2013 8:30 am

Yes it will be bad for your skin. Accutane tends to make your skin extremely sensible to sunlight, therefore even the slightest 5 minutes out in the sun can cause a sunburn. Sunblock is meant to be used to avoid UV rays for the short periods of time you pass right through the sunlight, not sitting there absorbing it.

MemberMember
(@superyew)

Posted : 07/25/2013 12:28 pm

Yes it will be bad for your skin. Accutane tends to make your skin extremely sensible to sunlight, therefore even the slightest 5 minutes out in the sun can cause a sunburn. Sunblock is meant to be used to avoid UV rays for the short periods of time you pass right through the sunlight, not sitting there absorbing it.

Thank you. This is what I needed to hear, helpful information not a stupid post about going to the doctor like aanabill. Anyone have anything else theyd like to throw in? Do you think I should seek treatment for the hyperpigmentation after im done with my accutane course?

Also I use a facial clenser called "Ultra gentle daily cleanser" Dermatologist developed for sensetive skin by Neutrogena, should I use that or will that be bad for my hpyerpigmentation?

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/25/2013 12:51 pm

well!

good luck!

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 07/25/2013 8:53 pm

For the hyperpigmentation, it's different for everyone. If you do, however, end up with PIH, I suggest you talk to your dermatologist about TCA Peels, Retin-A or Tazorac. Another option would be laser, but that's mostly for scarring; though it does help with PIH, it would be an expensive alternative. Some people's skin tend to improve after Accutane (the PIH begins to fade much quicker than expected), but it'll all depend on what you look like post Accutane.

Best of luck. Cheers.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 07/25/2013 11:26 pm

Thank you. This is what I needed to hear, helpful information not a stupid post about going to the doctor like aanabill. Anyone have anything else theyd like to throw in? Do you think I should seek treatment for the hyperpigmentation after im done with my accutane course?

Also I use a facial clenser called "Ultra gentle daily cleanser" Dermatologist developed for sensetive skin by Neutrogena, should I use that or will that be bad for my hpyerpigmentation?

I'm not familiar with that face wash. I guess as long as it doesn't dry out your skin you should be fine. Cerave hydrating cleanser is great and I highly recommend it.

Everyone should wear SPF especially you since you're on Accutane. Do not go a day without it! After you're off Accutane wait at least 7 months before you start any hyperpigmentation treatment that's if you still have the red marks. After that 7 month period is over you can try some lactic acid, glycolic acid, jessner peel or TCA peels for hyperpigmentation.

Next time you visit your derm ask him/her about what hyperpigmentation treatments, spf sunblocks/moisturizers and face washes they recommend.

To answer your question about Accutane healing the red marks. I don't know if it does or not. I would google "does Accutane help hyperpigmentation?" and see what you find. I'm not really an expert on Accutane, I just know the basics.

Good luck! Hope I've been helpful

MemberMember
(@superyew)

Posted : 07/26/2013 12:05 am

I'm not familiar with that face wash. I guess as long as it doesn't dry out your skin you should be fine. Cerave hydrating cleanser is great and I highly recommend it.

Everyone should wear SPF especially you since you're on Accutane. Do not go a day without it! After you're off Accutane wait at least 7 months before you start any hyperpigmentation treatment that's if you still have the red marks. After that 7 month period is over you can try some lactic acid, glycolic acid, jessner peel or TCA peels for hyperpigmentation.

Next time you visit your derm ask him/her about what hyperpigmentation treatments, spf sunblocks/moisturizers and face washes they recommend.

To answer your question about Accutane healing the red marks. I don't know if it does or not. I would google "does Accutane help hyperpigmentation?" and see what you find. I'm not really an expert on Accutane, I just know the basics.

Good luck! Hope I've been helpful

I read that accutane actully redens them more, and yeah I meet with my derm every month because accutane is a serious medication and it requires alot of tests. And I think my PIH got worse because I use to sit out in the sun for 30mins or so every few days in direct sunlight, so im going to stop doing that now lol. And to answer ur question about "I'm not familiar with that face wash. I guess as long as it doesn't dry out your skin you should be fine" the accutane is going to be the one drying out my face, thats what it's designed to do.

Also what kind of sunscreen should i use? I read that although sunscreens with oil free on them still arent great for acne skin

MemberMember
(@kaylaacarolynxoxo)

Posted : 07/26/2013 2:50 am

Rudeeee

Rudeeee

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 07/26/2013 10:06 am

Rudeeee

Rudeeee

She is not being rude. If the OP would of said he'd been to a doctor and is on Accutane to begin with, he would of gotten the answer he needed on here much sooner. I've seen aanabill get rude with people before and it's usually for a good reason. She was not being rude whatsoever.

What's rude is you just quoting something that is of no relevance to the OP question about his skin and trying to stir stuff up.

If you don't have anything helpful to say then don't say anything at all.

MemberMember
(@kaylaacarolynxoxo)

Posted : 07/26/2013 12:17 pm

Rudeeee

Rudeeee

She is not being rude. If the OP would of said he'd been to a doctor and is on Accutane to begin with, he would of gotten the answer he needed on here much sooner. I've seen aanabill get rude with people before and it's usually for a good reason. She was not being rude whatsoever.

What's rude is you just quoting something that is of no relevance to the OP question about his skin and trying to stir stuff up.

If you don't have anything helpful to say then don't say anything at all.

He obviously has seen a doctor if hes on accutane, so why go put something like that. I am not stirring anything up but dont tell me "if you dont have anything helpful to say dont say anything at all" im pretty sure her qoute was unhelpful considering HES ALREADY SEEN A DOCTOR. All im saying is that if i posted a picture of my face i wouldnt like it is someone said go visit a doctor please. There is much nicer ways to say that if its necessary to say it at all

i just got put on accutane 6 days ago from my derm

Maybe some people should read the WHOLE post before they go ahead and make rude comments.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 07/26/2013 12:31 pm

I've been on accutane do I will tell you what I can off anyways.

Use a gentle face wash and a good hydrating lotion or cream. I recommend CeraVe products the foaming facial cleanser is great and the CeraVe cream in the tub is the best facial cream I've ever used. It's light and creamy and it sets into the skin nicely and I've never had facial peeling or flaking while I was on accutane. I also used CeraVe am which is a lighter moisturizer with a 30spf and when you are really dry it's nice.

Also accutane causes your skin to heal slower so Hyperpigmentaion is a big issue to deal with. You'll have some fade while you are on your course but most of it will fade afterwards and once the accutane is out of your system and your skin gets back to healing properly. Then your Hyperpigmentaion will fade quicker. Once you are off accutane you can start using aha or retin a or a topical like that to fade away the marks. It's important not to use any other products besides a moisturizer and SPF and a gental face wash. Make sure that your face wash doesn't contain any active ingredients like BP or SA. Accutane will do all your skin needs all on its own.

Using a daily SPF will help the marks from getting darker and help them fade.

MemberMember
(@superyew)

Posted : 07/26/2013 12:40 pm

If someone could answer this: Also what kind of sunscreen should i use? I read that although sunscreens with oil free on them still arent great for acne skin

It would be great

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/26/2013 1:23 pm

i thought i'd just ignore the post ,wishing the op luck with his skin because i made a mistake of somehow missing that part about accutane.

i agree,my bad.

so even though i meant what i said for good,even though i was genuinely concerned about the guy above,i kept quiet when he called my post stupid and i swear made me feel bad.

(again my bad,for i am attached with stuff here a lil' more than needed here)

but that doesnt mean a freaking nobody comes by and goes about saying whatever crap he feels like.

i dnt think i am gonna consider him/her worthy enough to be personally spoken to but just make myself clear to people who matter,i dint mean anything that can considered stupid or rude.

like i said ,missing that part was a mistake on my part and it was mere concern with which i asked the OP to visit a doctor.

there are somethings which should be professionally treated ,help/support here isnt enough(thats the 'disclaimer' at acne.org as well)

to a.p,

i wish i could show them threads where i was rude and yes, for reasons.

anyway,

it really did mean a lot to me.i've spent a enough time here to never think of being rude without reason.thank u for understanding.

thanks.

MemberMember
(@kaylaacarolynxoxo)

Posted : 07/26/2013 1:37 pm

i thought i'd just ignore the post ,wishing the op luck with his skin because i made a mistake of somehow missing that part about accutane.

i agree,my bad.

so even though i meant what i said for good,even though i was genuinely concerned about the guy above,i kept quiet when he called my post stupid and i swear made me feel bad.

but that doesnt mean a freaking nobody comes by and goes about saying whatever crap he feels like.

i dnt think i am gonna consider him/her worthy enough to be personally spoken to but just make myself clear to people who matter,i dint mean anything that can considered stupid or rude.

like i said ,missing that part was a mistake on my part and it was mere concern with which i asked the OP to visit a doctor.

there are somethings which should be professionally treated ,help/support here isnt enough(thats the 'disclaimer' at acne.org as well)

to a.p,

anyway,

it really did mean a lot to me.i've spent a enough time here to never think of being rude without reason.thank u for understanding.

thanks.

First off who called you stupid and who is a nobody? Reall supportful website this is. From what ive so far i would NEVER post a picture of my face on here.

MemberMember
(@kaylaacarolynxoxo)

Posted : 07/26/2013 1:37 pm

i agree,my bad.

to a.p,

anyway,

thanks.

First off who called you stupid and who is a nobody? Reall supportful website this is. From what ive so far i would NEVER post a picture of my face on here.

MemberMember
(@superyew)

Posted : 07/26/2013 4:06 pm

I didnt know you had to be a "somebody" to get help from this site.

Anyways, "like moonlight" your statement: Using a daily SPF will help the marks from getting darker and help them fade.

What spf should I use? I read that even if the sunscreen says "Oil free wont cause breakouts" still can be bad for acne skin

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 07/26/2013 4:40 pm

Ugh I missed missed the Accutane part too. Oh well... Both annabill and I missed that part.

Sorry it was a miss understanding.

Annabill you were rude to solveacneforever but, who wasn't?! Haha

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 07/26/2013 5:22 pm

I didnt know you had to be a "somebody" to get help from this site.

Anyways, "like moonlight" your statement: Using a daily SPF will help the marks from getting darker and help them fade.

What spf should I use? I read that even if the sunscreen says "Oil free wont cause breakouts" still can be bad for acne skin

In my earlier post I recommended Cerave AM and I still recommend that. It is hydrating enough while being on accutane but still provides a 30 spf which is really nice to find in a moisturizer. Plus cerave provides so many good for skin ingredients that in a normal moisturizer you would have to pay 60$ or more for. Cerave is around 12 - 15 dollars.

Another one you could try if you're not fond of the cerave one is neutrogena sheer SPF it goes all the way to 100 spf if you want that much protection. My dermatologist recommended 30 to 50 spf depending on the length I was in the sun. Higher the longer time in the sun. Most the time I used 30 and was never burnt while on accutane. :)

You are correct that some people can break out from sunscreen that claim to be oil free or non comedogenic, not just sunscreens any product for that matter. These companies that are claiming this usually are using ingredients that are known to be non comedogenic or hyper allergenic. What they are doing is using products that are considered non comedogenic for the general population. What is non comedogenic to my neighbor, isn't always the case for me. I can be sensitive and breakout from things that are considered non comedogenic for instance, I once broke out from a foundation that I used that is branded safe for acne prone skin. I thought for sure that I was safe using it but sure enough I broke out, and I was even on accutane at that time! I thought nothing could break me out while I was on that medication. While I was wrong. Unfortunately the only way you can find out is by trial and error. Or getting allergy and intolerance testing, I once did this with all the products I was using to see which was causing the issues and my dermatologist found nothing besides a allergy to gold. So all I was left with was trial and error.