Notifications
Clear all

Continue With Doxy, Or Start A Second Course Of Roaccutane?

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 07/23/2013 5:55 pm

I was put on Doxycycline (50mg daily) and Epiduo gel over a week ago. I'm not seeing any results as it's far too early to tell. However, I am noticing some side effects. I have no stomach pains or nausea, but my digestion has been a little poor since starting the Doxy. I am also feeling groggy, light-headed (I experience that "head fuzz" when I stand up too quickly), and I have this odd metallic taste in my mouth (it comes and goes throughout the day, but it has been around since starting the antibiotics).

I'm just starting to wonder if it would be better to stop the antibiotics in case of these symptoms persisting, and my body growing more reliable to the Doxy (I'm guessing that the longer I'm on it, the worse my acne will flare up when stopping it...but I may be wrong). These symptoms are nothing too extreme, but I dislike knowing that this antibiotic will not offer me a long-term fix. I'd only put up with side effects like these if I knew that it would be worth it in the end. I would probably choose to stay on the Doxy if it wasn't for these ailments cropping up. They just don't seem worth the concept.

I have been on antibiotics in the past, and they proved to be a short-term fix, only to lead to my first course of Roaccutane in 2010. That cleared my skin wonderfully, and I remained clear for three years. For the past six months, my acne has returned, and it's getting worse by the month. I'm just not sure if I should skip the antibiotic journey and go for a second course of Isotretonoin again, so I can be rid of the acne and not have to live on antibiotics for months on end.

The decision is killing my time. I cannot stop fretting about it. I'm very health-aware, and I dislike reading all these horror stories about Accutane, even though my first time on the drug wasn't bad at all. How am I to know if a second course would treat me differently? I just have no idea what to do! I'm getting very down and my confidence is dipping significantly. I just long for my post-Roaccutane clearness back, so it no longer interferes with my life and I can live confidently again!

Any experiences? On both; antibios/Roaccutane? Advice? Ugh, this is such a decision. I've been reading over a lot of the topics on here about second courses, and Accutane in general etc. Sometimes I feel pretty decided about doing it again, and then other times I feel very strongly against it. Not sure if long-term antibiotics are actually any better for me than a short course of Isotretonoin anyway.

Any input would be VERY much appreciated!

MemberMember
(@paperboy-bike)

Posted : 07/23/2013 6:28 pm

Wow this is very similar to what I went rhought. Combination of BP and antibiotics kept me semi clear for 6 months or so but lost effectiveness so went on Accutane. That worked great and had me clear in about 3 months, kept me clear for about 4-5 months after finishing. The acne came back and I wasn't keen to start another course so went down the antibiotic route again for about a year but it was really a stopgap and the time came for another course of Accutane. Unfortunately this course hasn;t worked as well and I'm still breaking out after 5 months which is weird.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 07/23/2013 6:46 pm

Wow this is very similar to what I went rhought. Combination of BP and antibiotics kept me semi clear for 6 months or so but lost effectiveness so went on Accutane. That worked great and had me clear in about 3 months, kept me clear for about 4-5 months after finishing. The acne came back and I wasn't keen to start another course so went down the antibiotic route again for about a year but it was really a stopgap and the time came for another course of Accutane. Unfortunately this course hasn;t worked as well and I'm still breaking out after 5 months which is weird.

Isn't is just a nightmare? That's a shame that your Accutane courses didn't work for long. Did you experience anything different on your second course? I would jump straight to another course but I'm worried about reacting differently to it this time, but then again I'm not sure if it's worth sticking to the Doxy as antibiotics are dangerous in the long-run. These side effects suck too! I'd enjoy not having to think about acne for a year with the antibios, but I'm going to have to come off them if my side effects continue.

MemberMember
(@paperboy-bike)

Posted : 07/23/2013 6:52 pm

I was actually really looking forward to my second course, I was dreading the IB but outside of that I was/am pretty hopeful that it would be the end of my acne. And since my acne was no where near as bad as it was the 1st course I thought it would be a smoother ride. In the first course I broke out terribley for the first two months but after that cleared up brilliantly, this time I didn't really break out badly at the beginning , but am still having breakouts 5 months into the course which is weird. Same side effects as the first time.

I was on antibiotcs for about two years total, they worked quite well at times but the whole time I knew it was just a stop gap and at sometime I would have to come off them and that a topical would not be enough to keep my acne at bay.

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 07/23/2013 8:09 pm

I had the same symptoms with doxy. I was on doxy and tretinoin for about five months, which cleared me up nicely. I just grinned and bore the symptoms as I was really desperate for anything that would provide some relief from acne. Unfortunately the relief didn't last.

Honestly I'm scared of accutane's side effects, wouldn't go on it unless I was at the end of my tether. Which, as of right now, I fortunately am not.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 07/24/2013 6:47 pm

I was actually really looking forward to my second course, I was dreading the IB but outside of that I was/am pretty hopeful that it would be the end of my acne. And since my acne was no where near as bad as it was the 1st course I thought it would be a smoother ride. In the first course I broke out terribley for the first two months but after that cleared up brilliantly, this time I didn't really break out badly at the beginning , but am still having breakouts 5 months into the course which is weird. Same side effects as the first time.

I was on antibiotcs for about two years total, they worked quite well at times but the whole time I knew it was just a stop gap and at sometime I would have to come off them and that a topical would not be enough to keep my acne at bay.

Yeah, my first course cleared me up so well, so a second course does seem quite an exciting prospect. Yeah, I had quite a bad IB with my first course, but you say the IB wasn't as bad for you on your second course? Do you think this was because your acne may not have been so bad because of the first course? Mine definitely isn't as bad as it was before my first course. Hmmm...that sounds normal to me. I cleared up within six months on Roaccutane. I saw very minor results in the fifth month, but it was the sixth month when things started to clear wonderfully. It takes a lot of patience, but it is SO worth it in the end! I'm just incredibly undecided about going for another course, but the fact that it worked so well for me the first time could mean a second course might help a lot. My joints are still suffering from the first course today, though. Nothing major, but I'd hate to worsen the problem as I like to look after myself and my health. Yeah these flaming antibiotics...not sure whether to stop them now before my skin becomes too dependant on them.

I had the same symptoms with doxy. I was on doxy and tretinoin for about five months, which cleared me up nicely. I just grinned and bore the symptoms as I was really desperate for anything that would provide some relief from acne. Unfortunately the relief didn't last.

Honestly I'm scared of accutane's side effects, wouldn't go on it unless I was at the end of my tether. Which, as of right now, I fortunately am not.

The short-lived effect is very frustrating indeed. I wonder why we're prescribed things like antibiotics, as they're not a long term fix. They should invent something that's comparable to Roaccutane, but less damaging.

MemberMember
(@paperboy-bike)

Posted : 07/24/2013 8:08 pm

Yeah, my first course cleared me up so well, so a second course does seem quite an exciting prospect. Yeah, I had quite a bad IB with my first course, but you say the IB wasn't as bad for you on your second course? Do you think this was because your acne may not have been so bad because of the first course? Mine definitely isn't as bad as it was before my first course. Hmmm...that sounds normal to me. I cleared up within six months on Roaccutane. I saw very minor results in the fifth month, but it was the sixth month when things started to clear wonderfully. It takes a lot of patience, but it is SO worth it in the end! I'm just incredibly undecided about going for another course, but the fact that it worked so well for me the first time could mean a second course might help a lot. My joints are still suffering from the first course today, though. Nothing major, but I'd hate to worsen the problem as I like to look after myself and my health. Yeah these flaming antibiotics...not sure whether to stop them now before my skin becomes too dependant on them.

Yeah I didn't really have an IB per say, I would get a pimple every 2-3 days type thing. Which is similar to what I'm getting now. And yeah I'd put it down to the fact that I'd be using Retin-A for about a year beforehand so my acne was under more control than the first time. Just a bit weird for since in my first course my acne was much worse and I cleared up in about 2-3 months, but I've still got another 7 weeks so still hopeful. And yeah I was very similar to you, after I broke out after the first course I went to my derm and he wrote me out a script for Tane, I went and got it but ended up deciding against it and used doxy instead. Looking back now I wish I had done this second course last year tbh.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 07/25/2013 8:29 am

Yeah I didn't really have an IB per say, I would get a pimple every 2-3 days type thing. Which is similar to what I'm getting now. And yeah I'd put it down to the fact that I'd be using Retin-A for about a year beforehand so my acne was under more control than the first time. Just a bit weird for since in my first course my acne was much worse and I cleared up in about 2-3 months, but I've still got another 7 weeks so still hopeful. And yeah I was very similar to you, after I broke out after the first course I went to my derm and he wrote me out a script for Tane, I went and got it but ended up deciding against it and used doxy instead. Looking back now I wish I had done this second course last year tbh.

Actually, I've noticed that. Even though my acne has lessened and it is not as severe as it was before Roaccutane, it is more stubborn, and some spots last for months. Have you noticed any different side effects this time round? I've heard that side effects aren't as bad during the second course, but I've also heard that DIFFERENT and more severe side effects can pop up during the second time round. I'm still suffering from really poor digestion from the Doxy and I am so close to stopping it. I am going on holiday in a few days, and I really don't want to be dealing with the side effects.

MemberMember
(@paperboy-bike)

Posted : 07/25/2013 11:53 pm

Actually, I've noticed that. Even though my acne has lessened and it is not as severe as it was before Roaccutane, it is more stubborn, and some spots last for months. Have you noticed any different side effects this time round? I've heard that side effects aren't as bad during the second course, but I've also heard that DIFFERENT and more severe side effects can pop up during the second time round. I'm still suffering from really poor digestion from the Doxy and I am so close to stopping it. I am going on holiday in a few days, and I really don't want to be dealing with the side effects.

Yeah my derm said to me that most people tolerate accutane better the 2nd time round. I've had pretty much the same side effects, eczema and 'tane burn' (flushing etc) So I've been lucky really with realtively minor short term side effects in both my accutane courses. With antibiotics I used to find it made me a bit nauseous in the morning. I'm keen to get straight back on Retin-A as soon as my course ends, I'd liek to think that Retin-A will hopefully be all I need in the future to keep me clear but who knows.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 07/26/2013 4:59 pm

Yeah my derm said to me that most people tolerate accutane better the 2nd time round. I've had pretty much the same side effects, eczema and 'tane burn' (flushing etc) So I've been lucky really with realtively minor short term side effects in both my accutane courses. With antibiotics I used to find it made me a bit nauseous in the morning. I'm keen to get straight back on Retin-A as soon as my course ends, I'd liek to think that Retin-A will hopefully be all I need in the future to keep me clear but who knows.

Oh that's really hopeful then. Yeah me too, I felt a little sick throughout my short time on Doxy. I've stopped it now. I didn't see much point in continuing it. Seriously considering Roaccutane again now, but I might not be able to get a derm referral for weeks (the waiting process is very frustrating). Hoping my acne doesn't worsen in the meantime as I'm not taking anything internally to deal with it, besides vitamins and plenty of water. I'm very organised this time round. I have created a long list of things I will be needing and I will make sure to keep a regime (enough sleep, water, exercise etc). Wohoo!

MemberMember
(@paperboy-bike)

Posted : 07/28/2013 7:40 am

Oh that's really hopeful then. Yeah me too, I felt a little sick throughout my short time on Doxy. I've stopped it now. I didn't see much point in continuing it. Seriously considering Roaccutane again now, but I might not be able to get a derm referral for weeks (the waiting process is very frustrating). Hoping my acne doesn't worsen in the meantime as I'm not taking anything internally to deal with it, besides vitamins and plenty of water. I'm very organised this time round. I have created a long list of things I will be needing and I will make sure to keep a regime (enough sleep, water, exercise etc). Wohoo!

Sounds like you might have made up your mind then? Once I was excited and looking forward to starting my second course I knew I had made the right decision.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 07/28/2013 4:58 pm

Maybe not 100% but I'm keeping it in mind in case. There's a part of me that's kind of doubting whether it'll work for the second time as I could just get acne back again two years later, then I'd be going for my third round! It's a tough decision.

MemberMember
(@paperboy-bike)

Posted : 08/09/2013 7:28 am

Maybe not 100% but I'm keeping it in mind in case. There's a part of me that's kind of doubting whether it'll work for the second time as I could just get acne back again two years later, then I'd be going for my third round! It's a tough decision.

I think the stats are something like 10% or less of people need a third round. I've set my expectations that my 2nd round will help me keep my acne under control in the future just through topicals. So hopefully after i finish ip in a month I'll be able to just use Retin-A to keep it realtively in check for the future. I don't really expect the Accutane to keep me clear by itself.