Notifications
Clear all

Antibiotics For Hormonal Acne?

MemberMember
(@hateacne123)

Posted : 07/23/2013 9:03 am

Hi I am on antibiotics atm for my acne.

I do not want to take the pill so the doctor prescribed antibiotics. In the beginning my face was very clear but its been about 3 weeks since I started taking it and I have three very big and ugly pimples on my right cheek! unsure.png

I think I have hormonal acne, as I am about to come on. So I was just wondering does antibiotics actually work for hormonal acne?

I have had acne for the past 5 years! and I've tried everythinggg and nothing seems to work.

Pleaseeee pleaseeeeee help as I am really desperate and because of my acne I have really low self-esteem as I feel when people look at my face they are disgusted by my acne!

I just feel like crying because I feel ugly!!cry.gif

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 07/23/2013 9:11 am

Hey there. Yes antibiotics will work but it is only a short-term suppression. You need to get on a permanent fix, such as spironolactone. However antibiotics like anything else doesn't work for everyone - so it may not work for you if it's not already...you might want to try a different one, but I would definitely get on spiro at the same time.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/23/2013 9:25 am

bcp is not a permanent solution.when u stop that,ur acne will come back.

but neither is antibiotic permanent solution for hormonal acne.

which antibiotic are u taking btw?

whats ur diet,lifestyle and skincare like?

have u tried dan's regimen?

MemberMember
(@sems)

Posted : 07/23/2013 11:12 am

Antibiotics never worked for my hormonal acne. I was on Doxycycline, then Minocycline, and I saw zero results.

MemberMember
(@joanna-coronado)

Posted : 07/23/2013 10:17 pm

Oh Man!! Im reading through a lot of posts and I'm soo confused on what to take now! I also suffer acne problems I've used birth control methods like pills and the iud..pills were ok yes I had little breaouts but not as bad as I have them now. I've been without my mirena iud since Jan/Feb of this year and I still breakout. I need to start a birth control method since I'm sexually active with my boyfrien. I don't want more children since I already have a two year old and having more kids aren't in my plans yet. But my concern would be which pill would be best since the mirena iud made me breakout more. Should I start with the ortho tricyclen-lo since its low in hormone? Or will it make it worse?

MemberMember
(@boskabouter)

Posted : 07/26/2013 4:16 am

Antibiotics can work for hormonal acne, but only for as long as you're taking them. And they really mess with your intestines, so I wouldn't recommend that. I was given antibiotics by my derm, and bcp at the same time. The birth control will work for as long as you take them too, but once you stop, the acne will come back... It is a more long term solution though (but I'm guessing if you suffer from hormonal acne, you'll just have to suffer the acne if you want to get pregnant at some point).

I opted not to take the antibiotics for very long as the bcp do a much better job in clearing up the acne. In about two months, I am now completely clear exept for two pimples.