Notifications
Clear all

How Long Do I Have To Be On Accutane Low Dosage (10Mg) For It To Be Long Lasting?

MemberMember
(@thisismiawallace)

Posted : 07/22/2013 9:41 pm

Hey there,

I started taking Accutane in March this year after I developed an allergic reaction to BP. From the beginning on I was taking 10mg a day, for a few weeks I was taking 20mg but I couldn't handle the itchiness and the dry skin so now I am back to 10mg a day. So this is my fifth month on Accutane now and I was planning on getting cosmetic surgery (breast augementation) next Winter (around July/August 2014.. I'm from Australia :)) I know that Accutane thins the skin and that it influences the healing process of the body and I obviously don't want to take any unnecessary and predictable risk for my body. My dermatalogist is a really nice guy but sometimes I am worried that he talks things down and doesn't take my concerns seriously. I read that most surgeons suggest to wait at least 6 months after your accutane course finished before you undergo surgery.. now I am wondering if it makes any difference that I am only on a low dosage? And how long is a normal course on low dosage accutane? My dermatologist said someting about 16 months, is anyone in the same situation? That would mean I had to take Accutane for another year and then had to wait for my surgery - which is alright with me if it means I am doing the right thing. I am just such a planner and just want to know what I can expect for the next year.. so if anyone is in the same situation or has been I would really appreciate if you would share your experience with me :)

Have a nice day xx

Deborah

MemberMember
(@cloitus)

Posted : 07/22/2013 9:53 pm

Thank you for this post. I'm also interested in anyone out their who has any answers. Quick question for you op. how long did it take for your to see results on low dose. I'm also on 10mg :)

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 07/22/2013 10:11 pm

Deborah, are you 100% clear? Also, age and initial acne severity?

MemberMember
(@thisismiawallace)

Posted : 07/22/2013 10:53 pm

Thank you for this post. I'm also interested in anyone out their who has any answers. Quick question for you op. how long did it take for your to see results on low dose. I'm also on 10mg smile.png

Hello :) My skin got better within the first month, my skin is really red though and I still have a lot of scars.. I just haven't had any pimples since I started really which is almost unbelievable :)

Deborah, are you 100% clear? Also, age and initial acne severity?

I am 21 and I had severe acne since I was 13 which got worse and better with the years but never stopped. Before I started accutane I had many pimples which would sometimes stay under the skin and make the skin get infected and swollen and it was very painful. Since I started taking Accutane I haven't had a single pimple but my skin is not clear yet, the redness and the scars make it look as bad as when I wasn't taking accutane though.. I am just glad that no new pimples are coming up and my skin has finally time to recover

MemberMember
(@i-know-it-gets-better)

Posted : 07/23/2013 12:39 am

My understanding is that studies have shown the higher the dose each day, the lower the rate of recurrence. I haven't read anything about the overall dose affecting recurrence rates, but I could be, and probably am, mistaken.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 07/23/2013 2:54 am

The cumulative dose usually guides the duration of treatment and is used to predict the chance of acne relapsing after Accutane. A cumulative dose of 120-150mg/kg is ideal to minimise (but not necessarily eliminate) the chance of acne returning following an Accutane course. Deborah will be hard pressed to reach this ideal cumulative dose on just 10 mg/day (could take >2 years).

Alternatively, your Derm may be adjusting the duration of therapy to give at least 90% clearance of acne based upon initial clinical acne grade scoring techniques followed by 48 weeks of consolidation (see here). In other words, you stay on Accutane until you are at least 90% clear and for 1-2 months thereafter.

In any case, once you stop taking Accutane it will be very important to initiate a maintenance therapy (preferably a topical retinoid such as Retin-A considering your issues with BP) to retain the improvement produced by Accutane.

ttp://www.jle.com/en/revues/bio_rech/vir/e-docs/00/04/26/E3/texte_alt_jleejd00254_gr1.jpg

Good luck

j.1440_0960.2003.00653.x.pdf

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 07/23/2013 3:20 pm

i would not take accutane for 2 years. its too long to be on a strong medicine.i asked my dermatologist about low dose and she said that, theres no point in suffering for nothing. you have to be on low dose a long time, but if you increase your dose, you finish off in about 5- 6 months and get the results you want. ppl manage well on 20mg apparently.

MemberMember
(@thisismiawallace)

Posted : 07/24/2013 3:21 am

i would not take accutane for 2 years. its too long to be on a strong medicine.i asked my dermatologist about low dose and she said that, theres no point in suffering for nothing. you have to be on low dose a long time, but if you increase your dose, you finish off in about 5- 6 months and get the results you want. ppl manage well on 20mg apparently.

Yea but if you read my earlier post I already explained that I don't count to the people who manage well on 20mg.. I have very sensitive skin and my body gets easily irritated in general.. I probably have to find another solution then :)

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 07/24/2013 4:30 pm

were you taking 20mg everyday during these few weeks?

I am in a similar boat. I took 30 pills of 20mg accutane over a course of 2 months and I want to get cosmetic surgery

MemberMember
(@thisismiawallace)

Posted : 07/25/2013 8:17 pm

were you taking 20mg everyday during these few weeks?

I am in a similar boat. I took 30 pills of 20mg accutane over a course of 2 months and I want to get cosmetic surgery

Yes I was taking it ever day... I am giving it a try again at the moment because it seems like 10mg will take too long.

What kind of surgery do you want to get? I think especially with breast augmentation there is a high risk of scarring etc but no one can really tell me how long I should wait!

MemberMember
(@mbbento)

Posted : 07/27/2013 11:27 am

Not knowing your weight it would likely take well over a year to reach an adequate cumulative dose. I'm in a similar boat as boat; however, I intend to start a 10mg course/day course AFTER a cosmetic procedure I plan on having.

MemberMember
(@jtm88)

Posted : 10/24/2013 6:19 pm

Hi Deborah,

I was on a low dose regimen for 12 months (most of the time, 10mg every other day). Never experienced any major side effects while on the drug. It gave me a false sense of safety. All of my current symptoms started After i stopped the medication. .

People think that by taking a super low dose, it is safe to take Accutane. While you may not experience side effects during your course. Tons of problems can occur AFTER you stop the drug. The most dangerous thing is that these problems may or may not ever go away.

Accutane is basically synthetic form of Vit A. It gets stored in your liver and fat cells. Since it is fat soluble, your body cant easily get rid of it. It also targets your liver and intestines - the exact organs your body rely on for detoxing.

Hey there,

I started taking Accutane in March this year after I developed an allergic reaction to BP. From the beginning on I was taking 10mg a day, for a few weeks I was taking 20mg but I couldn't handle the itchiness and the dry skin so now I am back to 10mg a day. So this is my fifth month on Accutane now and I was planning on getting cosmetic surgery (breast augementation) next Winter (around July/August 2014.. I'm from Australia smile.png) I know that Accutane thins the skin and that it influences the healing process of the body and I obviously don't want to take any unnecessary and predictable risk for my body. My dermatalogist is a really nice guy but sometimes I am worried that he talks things down and doesn't take my concerns seriously. I read that most surgeons suggest to wait at least 6 months after your accutane course finished before you undergo surgery.. now I am wondering if it makes any difference that I am only on a low dosage? And how long is a normal course on low dosage accutane? My dermatologist said someting about 16 months, is anyone in the same situation? That would mean I had to take Accutane for another year and then had to wait for my surgery - which is alright with me if it means I am doing the right thing. I am just such a planner and just want to know what I can expect for the next year.. so if anyone is in the same situation or has been I would really appreciate if you would share your experience with me smile.png

Have a nice day xx

Deborah

MemberMember
(@freefood)

Posted : 10/26/2013 9:45 pm

Hi Deborah,

I was on a low dose regimen for 12 months (most of the time, 10mg every other day). Never experienced any major side effects while on the drug. It gave me a false sense of safety. All of my current symptoms started After i stopped the medication. .

People think that by taking a super low dose, it is safe to take Accutane. While you may not experience side effects during your course. Tons of problems can occur AFTER you stop the drug. The most dangerous thing is that these problems may or may not ever go away.

Accutane is basically synthetic form of Vit A. It gets stored in your liver and fat cells. Since it is fat soluble, your body cant easily get rid of it. It also targets your liver and intestines - the exact organs your body rely on for detoxing.

Hey there,

I started taking Accutane in March this year after I developed an allergic reaction to BP. From the beginning on I was taking 10mg a day, for a few weeks I was taking 20mg but I couldn't handle the itchiness and the dry skin so now I am back to 10mg a day. So this is my fifth month on Accutane now and I was planning on getting cosmetic surgery (breast augementation) next Winter (around July/August 2014.. I'm from Australia smile.png) I know that Accutane thins the skin and that it influences the healing process of the body and I obviously don't want to take any unnecessary and predictable risk for my body. My dermatalogist is a really nice guy but sometimes I am worried that he talks things down and doesn't take my concerns seriously. I read that most surgeons suggest to wait at least 6 months after your accutane course finished before you undergo surgery.. now I am wondering if it makes any difference that I am only on a low dosage? And how long is a normal course on low dosage accutane? My dermatologist said someting about 16 months, is anyone in the same situation? That would mean I had to take Accutane for another year and then had to wait for my surgery - which is alright with me if it means I am doing the right thing. I am just such a planner and just want to know what I can expect for the next year.. so if anyone is in the same situation or has been I would really appreciate if you would share your experience with me smile.png

Have a nice day xx

Deborah

What kind of side effects are you experiencing after accutane?

MemberMember
(@jtm88)

Posted : 10/27/2013 4:48 pm

I have the following symptoms:

Popping/cracking joints. Stiff joints

Indigestion/IBS like symptoms - loose stool, light color stool, stomach gurgling, gas/farting. Signs that my liver and intestines have been affected.

Dry eyes. mild inflammation in the eyes

Insomnia - feel very happy if I get 4 hours of sleep these days

The part that scares me the most is I don't know where this is going. Symptoms seem to be progressing even after 4 months after I stopped my last pill. Do a search on this forum - "Repairing the Long Term Damage of Accutane" - tons of people experience severe symptoms years after stopping this drug.

I never experienced any major symptoms while take 10mg every other day. It didn't overwhelm my body, but it was def being stored. Body first absorbs it, and if the intake of the medication continues, the body begins to store it. In the case of synthetic Vit A like Accutane, it gets stored in your liver and fat cells. You will def experience symptoms if you overwhelm your liver's storage capacity.

Hi Deborah,

Hey there,

Have a nice day xx

Deborah