Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kinluek

Accutane - Results In 40 Days?

hey im starting accutane today i have moderate acne and will be taking 40mg a day i way like 57kg, am i likely to look better or worse in 40 days?

Accutane affects everyone differently, many get an initial breakout so it is possible your skin will be worse in 40 days, but at the end of your course you should be clear!

My guess is worse.. IB usually kick in around the month mark. I looked worse 40 days in for sure. Looking back at photos my worse time period on accutane was 45 days till month 4 ended! I didn't clear up until the end of month 4. Most people see good results around the 3 month mark. Although a select few see results right away! Good luck

Only time will tell what your acne will be like in 40 days.

One thing is almost certain though: you will likely be clear in 5-6 months time.

post-145613-1302821312_thumb.jpg

(Click graph)

post-145613-1302960805_thumb.jpg

(Click table)

Edited by biggs881

Maybe I'm mistaken or something, but, according to research and the words of an esteemed dermatologist I recently visited and spoke to on the subject, only around 30 percent of people on Accutane even get an initial breakout at all. The initial breakout in those cases mostly depends on the severity of your acne prior to starting treatment. Based on the impressions you'll get from these forums, you'll think that 100 percent of people get awful, cystic initial breakouts. Time will tell, but statistically, you're likely to look better after 40 days.

Edited by mrnegative

cool... so far i have quite a few active spots but where there are no spots on my face it is a lot smoother... i hope this is my inital breakout because i don't ususally have this many spots on my fod... its just that im going on holiday with friends in a month and i don't wanna be breaking out like crazy.. so scared :/

I completely understand where you're coming from with that. The most frustrating thing with these medications is that you just don't know how and when they'll begin affecting you fully. With Accutane, especially, it is widely accepted that you shouldn't expect full results until after you've completed your treatment. There are so many discouraging stories out there (especially on here) detailing the rare but horrendous side-effects, seemingly incurable initial breakouts, and ultimate ineffectiveness that you can really get inside your own head. While I was on minocycline for a while, I came here and read up on people's experiences. Every single time, I left borderline exasperated, telling myself that my treatment won't be effective and that acne is, in fact, the worst ailment out there. My piece of advice - just don't give up with your Accutane treatment. It's been proven to work dramatically in over 90 percent of cases. I'm sure that, in a month, you should be having a LOT less problems with your skin.

my forehead now is definitely going through the IB its pretty dam bad! better sooner than later though i guess... there are soo many horrible accutane storys on the internet im getting pretty paranoid that its going to fuck me up for life... does anyone know of any statistics on how many people come off accutane feeling normal... I already have dry rashes on my arms will they go away when i finish?

While you are on accutane you will go through tons of side effects that last days, weeks, months, and them they disappear as quick as they showed up! It's a odd medication and it does odd things to your bodies. I think it is safe to say that most side effects if not all will go away after the first month you are off accutane. In a week and a half my lips felt like lips again! And I never thought that my lips would return to normal and it actually happened quickly. Now if you are one of the unlucky ones that long term effects stick with then it may take months or years or never go away. I had joint pains while on accutane and that stuck with me where I still have flare ups from time to time and I have been off for 9 months or so. Even with the pains I am glad I took the medication though. I wouldn't have the skin I have now with out it. Even though I am using hormonal methods now to treat my acne but without the accutane I would have much worse scarring and I think it would have taken spiro years to clear my acne instead of the 5 months on accutane!

do you know what the statistics are like for permanent joint pains?

how long into the accutane course did it take for you to start feeling joint pains? and just how painful are they?

how long into the accutane course did it take for you to start feeling joint pains? and just how painful are they?

I don't know numbers on statistics but I just started month 2 of my accutane treatment yesterday at 80mg and I was on 40mg for all of month 1 and I haven't experienced any joint pain yet.

Hopefully going up to 80mg doesn't bring joint pain!

do you know what the statistics are like for permanent joint pains?how long into the accutane course did it take for you to start feeling joint pains? and just how painful are they?

I don't know any statistics on that. You could check out the negative accutane experiences board and maybe someone there would know something more detailed about that.

I took a 7 month course and I started feeling pains around month 3 or 4 and they hurt badly enough to need narcotics for the pain.

Still do when I get a flare up.

do you know what the statistics are like for permanent joint pains?how long into the accutane course did it take for you to start feeling joint pains? and just how painful are they?

I don't know any statistics on that. You could check out the negative accutane experiences board and maybe someone there would know something more detailed about that.

I took a 7 month course and I started feeling pains around month 3 or 4 and they hurt badly enough to need narcotics for the pain.

Still do when I get a flare up.

what do you mean by flare up? and does it stop you from doing sports?

When I am pretty active I get flare ups where my knees and ankles swell and cause major pain to the point where walking isn't easy. Yes it stops me from doing any cardio where inpact on my joints is necessaary. When I get flare ups I need time off work and steroids packs to calm the swelling so I can go about normal life again in 3 to 4 days

Hey, since I'm sure you're still looking for answers and different perspectives on what to expect during your Accutane course, I recommend you check out the Bodybuilding Misc forums. Just Google the terms "bodybuilding" and "Accutane" and you'll likely get relevant search results from the bodybuilding.com forums. Now, I realize you may not be be a gym rat or even remotely interested in the concept of lifting, but the guys in there have a much more realistic, "common man's" perspective regarding what life is like on Accutane. Most of them will not dramatize their responses as users on this site tend to do and just recount their experience as it happened. I've read over these in the past when considering taking the Accutane step and it really opened up my eyes to how many people actually decide to go on the drug regardless of acne severity. Many of these individuals simply do not want to deal with the nuisance of acne (even if it's mild-moderate) and talk to their dermatologists about how the disease is affecting their self-esteem and overall livelihood. All in all, you'll soon notice that the majority of individuals on those forums never experienced severe side-effects on Accutane and reported results as early as a week or two in. Don't just cling to the responses on here, because some of them may really get you down psychologically. There's nothing worse than being prone to mental problems while on the drug. This site, in reality, may worsen your mental state during an already stressful period of life. I'm wishing you all the best and I hope your course is still going as planned.

Statistics on joint pain and other side effects from Accutane (in short- and long-term) can be found in this table.

The table was from a long-term follow up study of Accutane in 720 patients whose average follow-up time was 4.9 years.

Edited by biggs881

I think I'm on day 37 and I look A LOT better than when I started. By no means am I clear but big improvement anyways!

Never had an initial b/out. I seriously saw improvement within a month! Was on it years ago and starting again this week. Any gals have sugg for birth control other than Yasmin or yaz. Tried both and dislike. Made me breakout worse. Looking for lo dose:) thanks

Well can u get the IB like in month 2? Becuase I´ve read that some people get their IB after month 1

Edited by hasmas

Yes it's possible. Depends what's lying beneath the skin which is what causes it. Just like retin a would do if u have been on that

Well can u get the IB like in month 2? Becuase I´ve read that some people get their IB after month 1

I didn't really start having an IB (pretty mild) on my chest till month 2 when I went from 40mg to 80mg. But like i said it's quite mild as I rarely had any acne on my chest before.

Gina-I've heard before that lo dose birth control pills can actually cause/worsen acne. I'm not sure how true that is or how common it happens but you may want to ask about that. Have you tried Ortho Tricyclen? It's supposed to help with acne. (two birds, one stone) =)