Notifications
Clear all

My Subcision

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 07/16/2013 8:30 pm

Well after a year of waiting it is finally my turn to start a thread on subcision. My subcision was yesterday so I'll update periodically. I only had one rolling scar on the right side of my chin done which is my biggest problem. I explained to the doctor I believe it is largely from cortisone atrophy but he still felt subcision was appropriate. I didn't hear any of the snapping sounds which worries me a little. I was expecting much worse but today I only have a small bruise with the needle mark being the most noticeable thing. This could be because I only had one part of my face done or because I was so freaking nervous in there about making things worse that he went lightly. We'll see how the healing progressed though. I'm also scared to suction right now as it is quite swollen and sore to the touch. It kind of grosses me out to think about doing it and I also worry about forming visible lumps. Thoughts on this?

I'd like to thank everyone on this site and especially all those that have helped me with my sometimes persistent questioning on treatment:)

austra liked
MemberMember
(@feelsgood)

Posted : 07/17/2013 3:56 am

Awesome to hear! So the doctor only did one area? How many areas do you think you're going to do? And you can suction after the 3rd day or mid 2nd day. It will really help slow down the scar from reattaching. Update me on your progress :)

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 07/19/2013 11:23 am

Hey there! The one area is really my only one where subcision would be appropriate. I don't have widespread scarring as I've only ever had acne around my chin. There are some very small indents he wanted to do but I was too nervous. Well today is day 5 if you count the day of treatment. I look worse than I did initially as the bruise has set in, including yellowing that has fanned out all around it. At least it's nice not to see scarring for the time being. Hope it starts looking better soon though.

MemberMember
(@ughhhhh)

Posted : 07/19/2013 4:36 pm

I'm glad you're on your way to recovery! How did it feel (physically) when he did the procedure? Painful at all? Hope you heal completely!

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 07/19/2013 7:15 pm

Hey! No I didn't feel a thing which was nice. They number the area with liquodane (sp?)..those injections hurt a little but no biggie. I figured it would hurt after it wore off but it was only a little sore to the touch. Thanks for the well wishes.. I just pray it heals well and there is some improvement.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 07/24/2013 8:46 am

hey i just wanted to say good luck to you and i love that you are sharing your story regarding your subcision. i cant wait for you to post your after pics at some point because i just know its all going to work out so well for you ;)

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 07/24/2013 9:36 am

Thank you! Today is 9 days post treatment and there is still noticeable improvement. I'm trying not to get my hopes up as I know there could still be swelling - but the bruising is practically all gone. Keep everyone posted!

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 07/29/2013 8:44 am

Ok two weeks post-subcision. The swelling appears to have subsided. Improvement so far? Hard to say. I have developed two lumps at and slightly above the treated area. They are filling in the scar to some extent, but do add some irregularity as well. I am wondering whether anyone who has experienced lumps after subcision can tell me the outcome? I am not talking about the invisible lumps, or the ones appearing immediately after treatment due to swelling. These are flesh colored, visible lumps that feel very hard and compact to the touch and appeared about 10 days post. I have been massaging them and it doesn't appear to do anything, although this is what my doctor instructed. Some people have reported persistent lumps, but seem to never provide long-term follow up. Any thoughts/suggestions?

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 08/30/2013 10:00 am

One month later (7 weeks post subcision) - I will provide follow up for anyone this may help. I went back to the Dr. almost 2 weeks ago and he blasted my raised area with liquid nitrogen. This freezes it to "loosen it up" and then I was instructed to massage it as much as possible. I had no idea that this would result in major swelling, then scabbing - so it was another week of looking bad. But it has helped. The raised area that was beyond the boundaries of the scar has gone down, so at this point I have one "bump" that looks like a cyst. Unfortunately this bump is largely on the upper border and above the scar, which does not help me. This is something people should know - the blood that pools can go anywhere, not just in the scar. I am due to go back for a 5-FU injection on Monday but am not sure what he will do, as it is not that raised, it is more just a dense area of baby scar tissue forming that may resolve with time.

At this point there is improvement in the sense that there is no visible pitting if I am still. But when I smile/talk the area still creases and this remaining bump adds irregularity to it. I will update as time goes on. I think my scarring is unique in that it is on the chin, and probably more a result of cortisone atrophy than anything else.