Notifications
Clear all

Dermatologists!

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 07/16/2013 4:00 am

Serious question... is it just in the UK that they are hard work?

I've been to NHS ones and private ones about my scars.

My NHS derm tried to get me out of the building as quickly as possible and said there's nothing he can do for my pitted scarring as treatment isn't available on the NHS (I knew this but thought I'd try anyway)

He then sent a copy of what was (apparently) said at the appointment in a letter to my GP.

It basically said I had scarring and would need laser treatment privately and that the NHS won't proved it so he's discharging me. The letter also said that he'd told me he the pits might flatten out over a time period which is just a complete lie as he said nothing about it at the time. He couldn't even be bothered to sign the letter and the signature contained the words "unsigned to save time" !!!!!!!!!! UNREAL

I then went to a few private derms to ask about the laser treatment he'd mentioned but everyone of them tried to push cheaper treatments onto me

It seems like everyone is either out to make or doesn't take you seriously.

Are their any good ones out there?!

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 07/16/2013 3:57 pm

Have you tried Skn clinics? I would give them 10/10, seriously, compared to 0/10 for GPs.

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 07/17/2013 12:31 pm

Really? I was VERY put off with their description on their website about how acne scars are formed as it is incorrect?! Have you had personal experience?

MemberMember
(@emilyology)

Posted : 07/17/2013 2:40 pm

I'm not in the UK, but my dermatologist (a PA) is my favorite medical professional to go to! She's upbeat and actually listens to me. I agree with the post above - derms are leaps and bounds above GPs any day.

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 07/18/2013 4:49 am

Both seem to be useless in the UK in my experience. The last derm I was referred to was an absolute disgrace and even lied in his letter about what was said. He was more interested in making sure he was asking the required questions in front of a student nurse.

Interested to hear more about Skn though if the above person can help?

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 07/18/2013 10:36 am

I've been to skn a few times as a last resort to remove 'marks' I can not remove myself.

As long as you get to see the right person and know what you want, they are exceptional in both performance and cost. The nurses, receptionists etc are not that clued up, but the medical directors are first class.

To be honest I don't want to sell it too much because I don't want the waiting times to increase too much.

MemberMember
(@zach-zach)

Posted : 07/19/2013 11:13 am

I'm in the U.S. but derms over here can be just as bad as what you're talking abt... my first derm was an absolute "product of the system" and would do nothing but prescribe the latest, greatest antibiotic or topical lotion perhaps because that was simply what he was trained to do. Very uninterested in conversation, learning about the problem in general, sometimes generally making falsifications and all that fun stuff. Two years ago, I dropped his ass and moved on to another derm in the area I had heard good things about and after the first appointment, his advice had me absolutely clear of acne up until ~2 months ago when I started getting lazy with the regimen lol

Moral of the story: It depends on the derm. A lot of these people are a total disgrace... I guess it's good to know it's not just in the U.S. (or maybe that's not such a good thing... hmm)

MemberMember
(@foundations)

Posted : 07/20/2013 7:44 am

(NEW YORK STATE, USA)

In my experience, I have found that nearly all of them seem to be incompetent and practically worthless. I am in college, and at one point I contemplated becoming a dermatologist solely because I would like to actually do the job correctly. Throughout my seven years with acne, several "Doctors" and Physician's Assistants that I've gone to have always given me the typical "Dermatologist Bullshit". When you arrive at an appointment and he/she swears that your acne has gotten better (regardless of the dozens of new zits). Often times, they have made simple quantity and spelling errors when writing prescriptions that prevent me from filling them until they fix it. On every occasion, they will say whatever it takes to get me out of the door as quickly as possible. I've spent over an hour and a half in a waiting room to be seen for 10 minutes. One of them was even quite spiteful when I was in the process of switching Doctors, informing me that there would be a great fee for getting my chart information printed, and then taking weeks to complete the process.

Fortunately, I just recently saw a new Doctor and she seems to be a keeper. Hopefully it works out.