Help With My Oily S...

Notifications
Clear all

Help With My Oily Skin.

MemberMember
(@danielt)

Posted : 07/15/2013 1:32 pm

I have tried a few different products for my oily skin, but none has worked so far.

I have tried cavi soap, st ives scrub and nivea men

What else could I try? Any recommendations?

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/15/2013 1:42 pm

a mild bha wash.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 07/15/2013 1:49 pm

Less is more when it comes to oily skin. Any kind of 'scrub' will just aggravate your skin further. Like Aana said, a mild cleanser that chemically exfoliates your skin would be much more beneficial.

We tend to think we need to over wash out face in order to remove oils and in turn we get an even oilier complexion.

MemberMember
(@mandarine)

Posted : 07/16/2013 7:33 am

Hi,

I'd recommend you not to overwash your skin more than twice a day (like in the Regimen), and with a very mild cleanser.

Maybe, in the evening, you can use a moisturizer more moisturizing (<-This sentence is going to be epic). In fact, at night, your bed is unlikely to chase away from your bedroom because your skin looks more oily with this mild cream. Of course, not something comedogenic, but, still, soothing.

And, during the day, if your skin shines like a french frie, you can dab a kleenex, or toilet paper. I know this idea sounds sexy, but it works.

To sum up, you should see your skin as a puppy that you must not rush. And, like LewisS perfectly said: "Less is more when it comes to oily skin."

MemberMember
(@danielt)

Posted : 07/16/2013 6:11 pm

Could you guys recommend a specific mild bha wash?

MemberMember
(@living06)

Posted : 07/21/2013 11:04 am

I think you should give the water only method a try it seems to slightly improve my severe oily skin

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/22/2013 9:39 am

saslic,that's one i know for sure.am sure there are others too.

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 07/22/2013 6:55 pm

In my experience, there isn't really anything over the counter that will actually slow down your oil glands. Your oil glands are under the control of your hormones and there is also a genetic/hereditary component to it. There are some prescriptions that can affect your oil glands, but over the counter stuff is really only for management and will not slow down your oil production. Here's more information. http://www.acne.org/oily-skin.html

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 07/22/2013 9:25 pm

I think those oil control paper things do a really good job. I always carry a pack of those in my bag and every 4-5 hours I just dab the thing over my whole face. It doesn't upset my make-up and it doesnt dry out my skin. It just takes away the oil on the surface.

MemberMember
(@jingeeloo)

Posted : 07/22/2013 11:08 pm

I use the neaclear liquid oxygen system. I have suffered from acne for 15 years and they have the only products that balance my skin - no oil slick. For the first time I'm not carrying tissues to wipe the oil off my skin - and not having to reapply my make up that has slid off my face. I have tried everything- from tetracycline to microdermabrasion to retin A to yaz and accutane and everything in between. The whole system works and the blackhead astringent stops the oil and doesn't contain benzoyl peroxide so its not so harsh that I get the rebound oil and acne.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/23/2013 12:11 pm

I think those oil control paper things do a really good job. I always carry a pack of those in my bag and every 4-5 hours I just dab the thing over my whole face. It doesn't upset my make-up and it doesnt dry out my skin. It just takes away the oil on the surface.

u mean simple soft tissue papers??

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 07/23/2013 7:50 pm

Nope. Not regular tissue. More like a different kind of paper. Like this..

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/24/2013 12:38 am

Nope. Not regular tissue. More like a different kind of paper. Like this..

ooh!dint know about these!

how are they different?

do they have anything in them?

MemberMember
(@jingeeloo)

Posted : 07/24/2013 9:15 pm

I know what you're talking about. Those tissues are called blotting tissues and they have cornstarch in them. And I think you can even get them in a variety of shades. Yeah, those work. You have to blot - not wipe of they will disturb your make up.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/25/2013 1:03 am

can i use simple soft tissue papers for blotting instead?

MemberMember
(@danielt)
MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/25/2013 5:23 am

the body shop tea tree blotting papers are cheaper and available here.

but i'd still shoot the same question except for the make-up aspect, how different are these from old world simple tissue napkins?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/25/2013 8:43 am

Aanabil you are 100% right. You could use paper towels, napkins, or even those toilet seat paper covers and get the same thing for a lot less money.

MemberMember
(@jingeeloo)

Posted : 07/25/2013 1:23 pm

CBIOT 13 and aanabil You are right, but it's nice to have a little discreet packet so it doesn't look like your carrying around a wad of toilet paper! Ha Ha.

The system I'm using has reduced my oil significantly so I haven't needed the wipes. That's the best solution.

MemberMember
(@ladyc)

Posted : 07/25/2013 4:09 pm

Do these products work?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/25/2013 6:15 pm

Do these products work?

Well they can help clean and pamper your skin and therefore reduce acne and shine, but it's like any other topical acne product; it will not and cannot significantly reduce the oil your skin produces. The mechanisms that control oil production are not affected by normal, topical facial products, that's why naturally oily skin is such a dilemma to deal with.

MemberMember
(@ladyc)

Posted : 07/25/2013 6:30 pm

Do you think its worth me trying these products? Can you buy these from the website if based on the Uk!? Thanks

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/25/2013 8:19 pm

Do you think its worth me trying these products? Can you buy these from the website if based on the Uk!? Thanks

I don't know really. It depends on your goals, the severity of your acne, and how much time and money you want to put in.

If you are looking for something to clear acne, the best thing I used was the AcneFree Clear Skin System. It is basically a generic, cheaper, and more effective version of ProActive, I used it for over 2 years back when I had bad acne as a young teen. I can give you more info on this if you'd like.

If you just want something for oily skin, unfortunately no product available (yet) can "turn off" the oil. It just takes a little more effort to take care of. Try to use a basic, gentle face wash like Cetaphil, and then blot as needed throughout the day.

Personally, I've found my skin likes a diluted ACV toner. I am experimenting with a homemade AHA toner (lactic acid) because even though the ACV has its own AHAs (citric, acetic, and malic acid) the smell of the ACV is horrendous so I'm trying to find a replacement.

MemberMember
(@redsearch)

Posted : 07/25/2013 8:56 pm

For many years now I have used cigarette rolling papers. They are way cheaper, easy to always carry and do a great job of absorbing oil. The ones from the Body Shop I think have other additives in them and the ones from Shisado are really pricey.....actually so are the Body Shop ones.

You have to experiement to find the rolling papers that absorb the best. The thicker ones are the ones you want.

But yes, the toilet seat cover type tissue is the type of paper you are looking for! Paper towels, regular tissues etc simply will not do a good enough job.

MemberMember
(@veini6)

Posted : 08/14/2013 4:16 am

Milk Of Magnesia is the key to oily skin!