Notifications
Clear all

Determine Severity? (Pics)

MemberMember
(@benjohnson32)

Posted : 07/15/2013 12:44 pm

Hello, can someone help me determine the severity of my acne? This is at its worst and I just want some information on my acne and how I can clear this type. I've been taking vitamins and they certainly helped out but due to football practice my face broke out again. I've been taking 30mg of pure elemental zinc the past 2 twos so maybe this is the initial breakout? Its so weird because maybe a week or two ago this was much much clearer. These next few weeks ill certainly leave updates on this forum based on your suggestions :) Btw I'm 15 and have fairly oily skin

34grhp1.jpg2mdjs06.jpg

(@LewisS)

Posted : 07/15/2013 12:52 pm

I'd say it's moderate, but definitely severe enough to need treatment. Your acne seems to me like it would be pretty easy to clear up with the correct products and being consistent when applying a regimen.

What products are you using currently? We need to rule out irritation being the main cause of your acne.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/15/2013 1:00 pm

yes,u do need treatment.

what are the topicals or med u use?

what's ur diet & lifestyle like?

MemberMember
(@benjohnson32)

Posted : 07/15/2013 1:07 pm

Im mainly taking vitamin A, E, D, zinc. And washing with a mild cleanser. I.do.have tretinoin cream but didnt have great success with it.

Diet is very good. Lots of vegetables and water and fruit. However lots of pasta and milk

(@LewisS)

Posted : 07/15/2013 1:47 pm

Im mainly taking vitamin A, E, D, zinc. And washing with a mild cleanser. I.do.have tretinoin cream but didnt have great success with it.

Diet is very good. Lots of vegetables and water and fruit. However lots of pasta and milk

You should probably consider avoiding those two foods. Especially the milk. I recently cut dairy (not completely) out of my diet and my skin has improved a lot. If you like your veggies, try stick to a diet that consists of mainly lean meats (if you're not a vegetarian that is) and vegetables.

If the tretinoin cream didn't help, then I probably wouldn't try it again if I were you. Have you considered giving the acne.org regimen a try? I have similar acne as yourself and mine cleared up within weeks on the regimen. I eventually run out of the BP and I couldn't afford to continue with it.

MemberMember
(@benjohnson32)

Posted : 07/15/2013 3:57 pm

Okay so im gonna really try and cut out most of the dairy products from now on. Does anyone reccommend using benzyl peroxide or sylacilic acid?

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 07/15/2013 5:37 pm

It's up to you what you want to try... some peoples' skins react better to BP, others to SA...

Do you do a lot of outdoor activity? If so, I'd try to lay low with topicals... a lot of them make you very photosensitive... so start with less and make sure you wear sunscreen.

Also, my experience with zinc was pretty awful. I was more or less clear last fall, due to a lot of outdoor activity, lifting, running, as well as healthy eating... so I thought I'd take zinc to give my skin that extra push over the finish line. From what I'd read, it either does nothing, or makes your skin better, so why not try it? Wrong! I got a lot of tiny red pimples all over my cheeks as well as painful cysts on my chin. That forced me to go back on topicals :(

Point is, all of our bodies react differently to vitamins. Now I refuse to take supplements and just get my vitamins from whole foods. If you eat right you won't have any serious deficiencies anyway. But if you notice positive changes, by all means, go for it! Just be careful.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 07/15/2013 6:45 pm

It looks like an irritation that could be due to purging from zinc, or from products you are using. Could also be a food allergy. I had a flare up recently that looked like yours from using a shampoo with sulfites. I switched to a new shampoo and avoided sulfites in food and cosmetics, and no new breakouts so far.

MemberMember
(@benjohnson32)

Posted : 07/16/2013 10:38 am

28tilu.jpg2i9ijag.jpg

Day 2. I guess some progress but not enough that I'd like. I was out in the sun for a while yesterday without sunscreen. Didn't really get too thirsty but should've had a much better diet yesterday. Took my zinc, vitamin A, E, and D. Trying to get some flaxseed oil, vitamin C, and bee pollen.

MemberMember
(@rabbi)

Posted : 07/16/2013 11:23 am

28tilu.jpg2i9ijag.jpg

Day 2. I guess some progress but not enough that I'd like. I was out in the sun for a while yesterday without sunscreen. Didn't really get too thirsty but should've had a much better diet yesterday. Took my zinc, vitamin A, E, and D. Trying to get some flaxseed oil, vitamin C, and bee pollen.

Use sunscreen.

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 07/16/2013 7:55 pm

Please, please, please see your doctor or dermatologist. They are there to help you with this. Do not waste you time on multi vitamins or face washes or any of this.

MemberMember
(@benjohnson32)

Posted : 07/19/2013 10:59 am

Hey guys sorry I havent posted any pics lately. Been really busy. Will be posting tomorrow! So far some okay results with just vitamins and mild face wash. I know i should be heading to derm but I havent had the time lately. So far, my acne has been clearing up but very slowly. Im worried that ill be clear and then next football practice it'll get worse again. Anyways, pics tomorrow!

MemberMember
(@benjohnson32)

Posted : 07/20/2013 9:54 am

Improvement!

2w54xdv.jpg

2vjtrm1.jpg

Glad to say that I've seen some improvement! This is with nothing but a mild cleanser and some vitamins. Currently taking Vitamin A, E, D, Zinc, probiotic, Fenugreek capsule, and Bee pollen. Anyone think I should remove one or two vitamins out of the mix? Skin hasn't been as oily these past few days. Have been using moisturizer with SPF 15. I don't really burn ever (italian skin) which is a good thing for the appearance of my face. I know I should get treatment but I really want to see how the vitamins work. Unfortunately I have football soon which will probably cause my face to breakout again, but can't do anything about that one. Really the only time my face feels oily now is when I wake up and after breakfast. Around this time I take a shower anyways so it really isn't a huge issue except when I'm really lazy. Also, the lighting in this picture makes my acne look so much worse because I'm in a different bathroom on vacation. This is a good sign because my skin is showing improvements, even in this lighting. Face feels smoother and not as bumpy. Might start religiously using St. Ives Apricot Scrub with salicylic acid so I can get my acne under control. I have a hate/love relationship with my acne actually. It's so easy to clear up when I'm consistent but if I put a football helmet on it breaks out immediately. Accutane has been in my mind for a while now and so has antibiotics. Honestly stressing out much less since my acne going down. Unfortunately I have many acne scars, but the vitamin E should at least somewhat help with this. I don't know why people are telling me to not waste time on vitamins? It certainly works very well for me! I know it's the vitamins because before my football breakout I stopped taking them for a week and my face began to become more oily and bumps began appearing. I'll be posting some more pictures in a few days! :)

Oh another thing, my diet was terrible yesterday. Literally ate pizza 2/3 meals. I know this is bad, but can't resist. Also had chocolate icecream. :o

MemberMember
(@ricky-bobby)

Posted : 07/20/2013 1:41 pm

I'm 15 and I've got about the same type of acne as you, maybe a little less mild. I went to the dermatologist and he prescribed me benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. It made my face pretty clear, except my cheeks are still pretty bad. In my opinion you might need something a little more heavy duty. Go to the dermatologist and see what he recommends

MemberMember
(@benjohnson32)

Posted : 07/20/2013 2:05 pm

The rest of my face is pretty clear. My forehead is, my t-zone, temples have a little bit, chin is clear except for the sides, and lip area is flawless. I think I'm going to buy some of the acne.org benzyl peroxide and put it on my face at night. I might do a modified version of the regimen

I went to the dermatologist and he prescribed me benzoyl peroxide

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 08/06/2013 4:21 pm

Improvement!

2w54xdv.jpg

2vjtrm1.jpg

Glad to say that I've seen some improvement! This is with nothing but a mild cleanser and some vitamins. Currently taking Vitamin A, E, D, Zinc, probiotic, Fenugreek capsule, and Bee pollen. Anyone think I should remove one or two vitamins out of the mix? Skin hasn't been as oily these past few days. Have been using moisturizer with SPF 15. I don't really burn ever (italian skin) which is a good thing for the appearance of my face. I know I should get treatment but I really want to see how the vitamins work. Unfortunately I have football soon which will probably cause my face to breakout again, but can't do anything about that one. Really the only time my face feels oily now is when I wake up and after breakfast. Around this time I take a shower anyways so it really isn't a huge issue except when I'm really lazy. Also, the lighting in this picture makes my acne look so much worse because I'm in a different bathroom on vacation. This is a good sign because my skin is showing improvements, even in this lighting. Face feels smoother and not as bumpy. Might start religiously using St. Ives Apricot Scrub with salicylic acid so I can get my acne under control. I have a hate/love relationship with my acne actually. It's so easy to clear up when I'm consistent but if I put a football helmet on it breaks out immediately. Accutane has been in my mind for a while now and so has antibiotics. Honestly stressing out much less since my acne going down. Unfortunately I have many acne scars, but the vitamin E should at least somewhat help with this. I don't know why people are telling me to not waste time on vitamins? It certainly works very well for me! I know it's the vitamins because before my football breakout I stopped taking them for a week and my face began to become more oily and bumps began appearing. I'll be posting some more pictures in a few days! smile.png

Oh another thing, my diet was terrible yesterday. Literally ate pizza 2/3 meals. I know this is bad, but can't resist. Also had chocolate icecream. gasp.gif

Take it easy with the supplements...I don't think you need the bee pollen and fenugreek at this point. I would replace those with vitamin C (non acidic type) and a clean diet with lots of spring/filtered water.

the st. ives apricot scrub really irritated my skin when I used it in highschool. Some people get results from it, but it's usually those with clear skin to begin with. I use mineral fusion's scrub and leave it on a few minutes as a mask, but I try not to exfoliate too often.

Make sure you are not just relying on the vitamin supplements, try to also get nutrients from food.

MemberMember
(@stelth91)

Posted : 08/26/2013 8:42 pm

Improvement!

2w54xdv.jpg

2vjtrm1.jpg

Glad to say that I've seen some improvement! This is with nothing but a mild cleanser and some vitamins. Currently taking Vitamin A, E, D, Zinc, probiotic, Fenugreek capsule, and Bee pollen. Anyone think I should remove one or two vitamins out of the mix? Skin hasn't been as oily these past few days. Have been using moisturizer with SPF 15. I don't really burn ever (italian skin) which is a good thing for the appearance of my face. I know I should get treatment but I really want to see how the vitamins work. Unfortunately I have football soon which will probably cause my face to breakout again, but can't do anything about that one. Really the only time my face feels oily now is when I wake up and after breakfast. Around this time I take a shower anyways so it really isn't a huge issue except when I'm really lazy. Also, the lighting in this picture makes my acne look so much worse because I'm in a different bathroom on vacation. This is a good sign because my skin is showing improvements, even in this lighting. Face feels smoother and not as bumpy. Might start religiously using St. Ives Apricot Scrub with salicylic acid so I can get my acne under control. I have a hate/love relationship with my acne actually. It's so easy to clear up when I'm consistent but if I put a football helmet on it breaks out immediately. Accutane has been in my mind for a while now and so has antibiotics. Honestly stressing out much less since my acne going down. Unfortunately I have many acne scars, but the vitamin E should at least somewhat help with this. I don't know why people are telling me to not waste time on vitamins? It certainly works very well for me! I know it's the vitamins because before my football breakout I stopped taking them for a week and my face began to become more oily and bumps began appearing. I'll be posting some more pictures in a few days! smile.png

Oh another thing, my diet was terrible yesterday. Literally ate pizza 2/3 meals. I know this is bad, but can't resist. Also had chocolate icecream. gasp.gif

Take it easy with the supplements...I don't think you need the bee pollen and fenugreek at this point. I would replace those with vitamin C (non acidic type) and a clean diet with lots of spring/filtered water.

the st. ives apricot scrub really irritated my skin when I used it in highschool. Some people get results from it, but it's usually those with clear skin to begin with. I use mineral fusion's scrub and leave it on a few minutes as a mask, but I try not to exfoliate too often.

Make sure you are not just relying on the vitamin supplements, try to also get nutrients from food.

Agreed

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/27/2013 6:09 am

F2.large.jpg

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/27/2013 1:37 pm

F2.large.jpg

Biggs, if I plucked up the courage to post pics of my acne, could you provide me with something like this? ^^ That was very interesting to read, because currently it seems that I'm on dapsone and a topical antibiotic, which are two of the same (according to the above chart).

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/27/2013 4:30 pm

Hi Rosalie,

That treatment flowchart/schema/diagram is from this article, which also contains diagrams for and severe acne. If you post a photo of yourself, it would help us to determine the severity of your acne and hence the appropriate treatment/s.

Good luck