Notifications
Clear all

Urgent: Which Liver Support For Accutane?

MemberMember
(@mustaine502)

Posted : 07/14/2013 10:21 pm

I'm picking up my Rx for accutane in 2 days and am taking every precaution to avoid long term side effects. Of course, I've looked into liver support while on accutane and have 2 possible products:

- Tyler's Detoxification Factors

[Removed]

- Liv.52 by Himalaya Herbal Healthcare

[Removed]

I'm learning towards the Tyler's because I've heard much better reviews, and it's more readily available here. One thing to mention, is I notice it has Vitamin A (IN BETA-CAROTENE FORM) - is this ok to take?

I will be on 20mg/daily (at 75kg) btw.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 07/14/2013 10:22 pm

Avoid any and everything with vitamin A in it while on accutane.

MemberMember
(@mustaine502)

Posted : 07/14/2013 10:40 pm

Just noticed the tyler's had palmitate not just beta-carotene, so it's definitely out of the question while on. What supplements are people using for liver support? NAC and a milk thistle?

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 07/14/2013 10:44 pm

You don't need liver support on Accutane. As long as you attend your regular blood tests and they come back normal, your liver will be fine.

Not drinking on Accutane will also help.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 07/14/2013 10:55 pm

Milk thistle is very common to take while on tane

MemberMember
(@dearppl)

Posted : 07/15/2013 2:14 am

Blueberry is a great fruit and a good source of antioxidant that can detox your liver! It also helps with your inflammation.

MemberMember
(@mustaine502)

Posted : 07/15/2013 8:03 pm

You don't need liver support on Accutane. As long as you attend your regular blood tests and they come back normal, your liver will be fine.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/48214-how-to-pass-your-accutane-tests/

Not drinking on Accutane will also help.

That might be true, but I don't want to take any chances. After reading this thread - http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/295030-repairing-the-long-term-damage-from-accutane/ - it seems accutane gets stored in the liver long term (up to years after stopping) and inhibits bile flow meaning the side-effects like dryness, hair thinning, etc seem to persist even after the course.

Although a lot of the people in that thread were on much higher doses and for longer than I am, I don't want to be another 'accutane nightmare story'. I'm already planning on eating less processed foods, not drinking, and taking milk thistle (and possibly NAC) during the time I'm on it.

Useful link btw!

MemberMember
(@emilyology)

Posted : 07/17/2013 2:36 pm

I never took anything and was fine. There are medications that are much harder on the liver than Accutane. As long as you're monitored, you'll be fine.