Notifications
Clear all

25Mg Of Spiro Not Enough?

MemberMember
(@bodysnxtcher)

Posted : 07/13/2013 11:39 am

So about 3 weeks ago i went to a dermatologist and got prescribed 25m of spiro. I have been wondering if this dosage is enough to actually clear my skin, because it seems like all if not most of people on this website have been taking 50mg or 100+mg...

I've definitely been breaking out more, ive been getting waay more whiteheads on my cheeks/chin so this sort of leads me to believe it might be making a slight difference?

I've also noticed the standard side effects, the frequent urination and being thirsty all the time, i had like one leg cramp the first day and i'm way more tired all the time. Does the fact that I'm experiencing all the side effects mean that i should just stick with this dosage for a few months? ooor should i try asking for more? it wouldnt really make sense if 25mg is enough, because my acne is pretty moderate..?

also, i'm not sure how this really works because i dont have insurance so a visit to the derm costs me $100, but is there any way that i can call my dermatologist and ask him to bump up my prescription dosage to like 50mg? has anyone done that? or is it required that he looks at my face before doing anything? haah sorry if that is a stupid question. but i'm cheap as hell.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 07/13/2013 2:31 pm

I'd agree that 25 mg isn't enough spiro to become clear. Most women need 100-200 mg to become clear. Then once you are clear you can play with your dosage alittle bit, and you can try to lower your dosage and see if you still be clear.

I am on 100mg and am clear from that dosage and I do not plan on lowering it either. I am comfortable on that dosage and most girls cant go below 100 and still have clear skin. I'm going to stick with this dosage.

MemberMember
(@bodysnxtcher)

Posted : 07/14/2013 4:04 pm

yeah, thats what the majority of people ive read are taking..

did you start off on 100? and do you remember approximately how long it took for you to see significant results?

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 07/14/2013 9:10 pm

Yes I did start at 100. Results started very quickly

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 07/14/2013 11:57 pm

I'm on 50 mg. I think girls should at the very least be at 50 mg. If this dosage doesn't work out though, my derm said she'd bump up the dosage to 100 mg.

I would explain your situation to your derm or a medical assistant at the office. Tell them you don't have insurance and all you want is the dosage bumped up because it's not enough for you. I know that derms sometimes fax prescriptions to your pharmacy, so maybe they'll do that for you.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 07/16/2013 1:13 pm

I call my derm all the time and explain things to her nurse and ask for medications all the time and by the end of the day I usually have a call back from the nurse if my derm saying yes we filled this or increased this or decreased this they need to be sympathic of your situation. Def explain that to the nurse you are leaving the message with. It should help you case. Also I'd ask for 100 and build your way there or just started at 100mg.

Usually they will ask you to try a dosage for a couple months. It seem to me you've been taking 25 for a month now. Tell your doctor with research you see most women have success at 100mg or higher and you'd like to start there and I you get clear then you can start to lower your dosages and see what the lowest dos pe you can stay clear on. But I do not see there being a high chance of caring your acne at 25mg

MemberMember
(@bodysnxtcher)

Posted : 07/18/2013 5:27 pm

It seems like I was worrying for nothing, I called a couple of days ago and asked to be put on a higher dosage and they faxed it to my pharmacy right away. My derm said he only prescribed me such a small dose because he also prescribed me an antibiotic and 2 topicals to go along with it. They prescribed me 100mg now, sooo i'm wondering if i will have another initial breakout since i'm doing such a big jump from 25mg to 100mg... i really hope not, the first one was awful and i cant imagine what 100mg could do to my skin :/

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 07/19/2013 12:12 am

I don't think you will suffer a large one. Congratulations in getting the higher dosage!!!!!

MemberMember
(@maskedone)

Posted : 07/23/2013 9:02 am

I've been back on Spiro for 2 weeks now (25mg/day). I've noticed some improvement, but I'm beinhg more cautions this time around as much as it pains me to see new breakouts :( Last time, I went from 25mg to 50 in 2 days, and within three weeks, was at 75mg/day.**

I'm in my second week and JUST started 25mg, 2x/day. My derm said she thinks it's ok and actually encouraged it. I'm trying to be patient.

**This is just me. Some people can start at a higher level, and that is awesome for them. I'm envious! But my docs said I should start slower so I'm trying to be patient.