Notifications
Clear all

Can Unclogging Pores Cause Acne?

MemberMember
(@hjanderson43)

Posted : 07/12/2013 12:29 am

I recently have suffered from tiny bumps all over my forehead. Not acne, under the skin, so clogged pores. I just started using a product with salicyclic acid to treat them. While they seem to be less, I now have pimples surfacing all over my forehead. What gives?

MemberMember
(@underneath32)

Posted : 07/12/2013 1:24 am

If you are irritating your skin then absolutely. Please avoid any unwanted irritation, perhaps get on the regime and see how it works. Trust me you will do more damage and make your skin worse by adding in more and more products. Keep it simple. All the best

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/12/2013 9:35 am

2 things.

one SA did its work,its unclogging the pores.(if thats what they were)

two, SA if used in mild concentration(a good mild wash with balanced pH) doesn't cause pimples.(except for irritation OR/& intolerance) but theoretically its suppose to bring up the "dormant" or already formed acne/zits/cysts on the surface.thus causing , what they call, 'initial breakout' or 'purging'.

what SA wash are u using btw?what %?

are u doing anything new other than this?any change at all?

MemberMember
(@lifeinfaith)

Posted : 07/12/2013 9:58 am

When I use SA it causes white heads (not cystic ones) that go away in a few days. It pulls the gunk up to the surface to clear your pores. After consistent use I find that it stops happening.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/12/2013 10:08 am

When I use SA it causes white heads (not cystic ones) that go away in a few days. It pulls the gunk up to the surface to clear your pores. After consistent use I find that it stops happening.

by 'consistent' u mean?

how long?

MemberMember
(@lifeinfaith)

Posted : 07/12/2013 10:42 am

by 'consistent' u mean?

how long?

A week or 2. I use the Paulas Choice SA 2% liquid. Occasionally I will do a 15% SA peel and that realllly brings stuff out, usually have a tiny breakout for several days after but then it fades.

Since we are on the topic of clogged pores...I have been on a topical retinoid for the past 5 months. My face is 80-90% clearer than it was (in my head), but I am still getting new clogged pores. They are all really small and unnoticeable to others (says my husband)...I have a hard time telling what is "normal" or not and tend to freak out about every tiny new one cause I fear going back to the mess using the oil cleansing method caused me (worst breakout of my life!). Sometimes I wonder if over exfoliating my face (Differin and BHA and AHA) could be causing tiny clogs.

Does anyone know if never having any tiny bumps/clogged pores is achievable? After the trauma of the breakout I have been dealing with over the past 10 months, I have a hard time remembering what my face was like before. I never looked at it as closely or examined it every day like I do now...so I wonder if I just didn't ever notice the tiny clogs before or if I really do have more now...I think I lost site of what my actual goal should be. Any advise much appreciated.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/12/2013 1:01 pm

well,i am not sure if its just u or it goes for everyone.

i have never heard or myself seen anything that says a week or 2 makes SA any less effective.

if u dont mind me asking,what makes u feel so?

MemberMember
(@lifeinfaith)

Posted : 07/12/2013 3:04 pm

by 'consistent' u mean?

how long?

A week or 2. I use the Paulas Choice SA 2% liquid. Occasionally I will do a 15% SA peel and that realllly brings stuff out, usually have a tiny breakout for several days after but then it fades.

Since we are on the topic of clogged pores...I have been on a topical retinoid for the past 5 months. My face is 80-90% clearer than it was (in my head), but I am still getting new clogged pores. They are all really small and unnoticeable to others (says my husband)...I have a hard time telling what is "normal" or not and tend to freak out about every tiny new one cause I fear going back to the mess using the oil cleansing method caused me (worst breakout of my life!). Sometimes I wonder if over exfoliating my face (Differin and BHA and AHA) could be causing tiny clogs.

Does anyone know if never having any tiny bumps/clogged pores is achievable? After the trauma of the breakout I have been dealing with over the past 10 months, I have a hard time remembering what my face was like before. I never looked at it as closely or examined it every day like I do now...so I wonder if I just didn't ever notice the tiny clogs before or if I really do have more now...I think I lost site of what my actual goal should be. Any advise much appreciated.

I wasn't saying it made it any less effective. I was just saying that I noticed purging happening some in the first week or so of using SA, then the purging stops. Similar to how a retinoid works. It is bringing the stuff out of your pores and then once your pores are clearer you don't see it happen as much.

MemberMember
(@kalinka)

Posted : 07/12/2013 3:18 pm

Hmm. I wonder the same thing. Last week I had a lot of tiny white spots around my chin, clogged pores.. This week my face is very red in those spots, with whiteheads and red looking bumpy spots. I guess it's the SA that is causing the "surfacing" of the spots and the redness that comes with the dry skin that SA causes for me. I'm hoping it goes away soon!

MemberMember
(@hjanderson43)

Posted : 07/12/2013 10:32 pm

I'm using the Loreal Go 360 Facial Cleanser

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/13/2013 1:23 am

by 'consistent' u mean?

how long?

I wasn't saying it made it any less effective. I was just saying that I noticed purging happening some in the first week or so of using SA, then the purging stops. Similar to how a retinoid works. It is bringing the stuff out of your pores and then once your pores are clearer you don't see it happen as much.

yes and also because it prevents new ones(clogged pores etc) to form.