Notifications
Clear all

Joining A Frat? Accutane... Can I?

MemberMember
(@frataccutaneok)

Posted : 07/11/2013 12:56 pm

hey everyone

i'm gonna be a freshman next year at college and i wanna join a frat. however, i'm concerned.

i have very mild but VERY persistent chin acne. my cheeks and forehead are basically flawless... but my chin still gets my self esteem down even though it's really not that bad...

im considering 20mg every other day (low dose), but im stuck, because if im on accutane, i can't drink right? in that case, how the hell am i gonna join a frat first semester? is 20mg every other day low enough to be able to drink?? i dont wanna die of liver failure...

i could always rush 2nd semester but that would kinda suck... ugh i just dont know if its worth it. i could always wait it out and start my accutane RIGHT after i pledge first semester.... but i want my acne gone. im #@*@SNg sick of it

please help :)

p.s. does anyone know if rushing 2nd semester is harder or if oyu have a lower chance of getting in a frat?

MemberMember
(@frataccutaneok)

Posted : 07/11/2013 1:29 pm

literally nobody ever responds to my posts... why...

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 07/11/2013 2:02 pm

Hi :)

The fact that you are getting acne on your chin may be an indication of an underlying reason. Breakouts on the lower part of the face are often connected to hormonal issues. Perhaps your hormones are imbalanced.

I have been on Accutane, and I really wouldn't recommend drinking, even if you are on a mild dose. It isn't worth the risk! Have you tried any other remedies that may help? There are other things to try for your acne, particularly if it is hormonal. Alcohol consumption may also be allowed with other remedies.

MemberMember
(@accutaneinmybrain)

Posted : 07/11/2013 2:43 pm

You're lucky I found this because I'm probably the best person on this website to answer this question lol.

Anyways, I just finished my senior year at a very big college, was in a fraternity (don't call it frat btw, you don't call your country a c*nt do you?) and also took accutane (40mg a day) for 5 months while in the fraternity during my junior year.

First things first, rushing during your freshman fall is an unforgettable experience, however, pledging is serious and although me or you don't know what that will exactly entail, it will probably involve a lot of drinking (voluntary and involuntary) and strenuous physical activity. You do NOT want to be on accutane while pledging a fraternity, take that to the bank.

Now the truth is, I drank pretty heavily while on accutane, around 4 days a week, anywhere from 3-20something drinks (obviously blackout status) for a couple months. My blood tests came out perfect every time. I'm not condoning you to drink, I'm just telling you the truth.

However, every person's body is different and their livers react in different ways however and my case will definitely not be the case for everybody and if I were you I would not take the chance if you decide to join a fraternity in the fall.

My two cents after making my own mistakes in college: Start accutane ASAP. Don't rush in the fall, get your things in order and get done with accutane so you can rush in the spring with confidence. Rushing in the spring is no harder than fall, the only difference is that you are more closely looked at. It's even possible that rushing in the spring is slightly easier considering not many kids rush in spring and fraternities still want a decent sized pledge class. Freshman fall is a great experience with a fraternity but not being in one does not mean you will not have a good time, if anything you could branch out a little and later on in your college career you can have your brothers and other friends you made during freshman fall (its good to diversify). It's only one semester to wait and waiting to rush could potentially benefit you far greater than rushing in the fall with little confidence and reassurance, as well as potentially affecting the actual fraternity you will join.

That's about it. I don't usually comment on other people's threads but I really felt the need to help you out a little on this one, hopefully I have.

MemberMember
(@frataccutaneok)

Posted : 07/11/2013 3:16 pm

You're lucky I found this because I'm probably the best person on this website to answer this question lol.

Anyways, I just finished my senior year at a very big college, was in a fraternity (don't call it frat btw, you don't call your country a c*nt do you?) and also took accutane (40mg a day) for 5 months while in the fraternity during my junior year.

First things first, rushing during your freshman fall is an unforgettable experience, however, pledging is serious and although me or you don't know what that will exactly entail, it will probably involve a lot of drinking (voluntary and involuntary) and strenuous physical activity. You do NOT want to be on accutane while pledging a fraternity, take that to the bank.

Now the truth is, I drank pretty heavily while on accutane, around 4 days a week, anywhere from 3-20something drinks (obviously blackout status) for a couple months. My blood tests came out perfect every time. I'm not condoning you to drink, I'm just telling you the truth.

However, every person's body is different and their livers react in different ways however and my case will definitely not be the case for everybody and if I were you I would not take the chance if you decide to join a fraternity in the fall.

My two cents after making my own mistakes in college: Start accutane ASAP. Don't rush in the fall, get your things in order and get done with accutane so you can rush in the spring with confidence. Rushing in the spring is no harder than fall, the only difference is that you are more closely looked at. It's even possible that rushing in the spring is slightly easier considering not many kids rush in spring and fraternities still want a decent sized pledge class. Freshman fall is a great experience with a fraternity but not being in one does not mean you will not have a good time, if anything you could branch out a little and later on in your college career you can have your brothers and other friends you made during freshman fall (its good to diversify). It's only one semester to wait and waiting to rush could potentially benefit you far greater than rushing in the fall with little confidence and reassurance, as well as potentially affecting the actual fraternity you will join.

That's about it. I don't usually comment on other people's threads but I really felt the need to help you out a little on this one, hopefully I have.

thank you so much this was really helpful.

i'm going to michigan next year btw... so frat life is gonna be extremely important/crazy.

i'm just worried that 2nd semester there will be less room to accept kids! because they would have already taken a bunch of kids 1st semester.. and because less people rush, theyre much more critical...

feel?

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 07/11/2013 3:47 pm

was in a fraternity (don't call it frat btw, you don't call your country a c*nt do you?)

Frat is short for fraternity. "happyflowers" has never been short for country. Oh wait, I'm talking to a frat guy.

MemberMember
(@accutaneinmybrain)

Posted : 07/11/2013 4:43 pm

thank you so much this was really helpful.

i'm going to michigan next year btw... so frat life is gonna be extremely important/crazy.

i'm just worried that 2nd semester there will be less room to accept kids! because they would have already taken a bunch of kids 1st semester.. and because less people rush, theyre much more critical...

feel?

I can tell you 100% that fraternities will never reject kids because they have too many brothers, so don't worry about that. It's actually the opposite, the fact that fraternities do like large pledge classes help some spring rushees out because fraternities always try to reach a soft quota, and there's not a bunch of kids that rush spring. But really man don't about it, the way my fraternity's rush works is we all talk it out together and are very fair in evaluating the person. We give some kids the benefit of the doubt, we consider them a lot on if we see them being a good brother, meaning that you would help out your brothers and care about the fraternity. Its not all looks. I am in a top fraternity and we have accepted people that had braces or acne or this or that, whatever, just because they were awesome to be around and we wanted to hang out with them. And don't worry because there are a lot of fraternities out there. You'll be fine, just be yourself.

was in a fraternity (don't call it frat btw, you don't call your country a c*nt do you?)

Frat is short for fraternity. "happyflowers" has never been short for country. Oh wait, I'm talking to a frat guy.

Well "exister" thank you so much for your input. You really contributed to this conversation, and it's people like you that make me wake up in the morning and smiletinydan.gif .I sense a bad experience with the greek system. Sorry about that eusa_boohoo.gif Anyways the site decided to censor my original wording to happyflowers, obviously I meant to say c. u. n. t. It took minimal logical reasoning to connect those dots as I'm sure other less ignorant (and less vocal) readers did, not quite a stretch for a normal persons intelligence. Oh wait, I'm talking to an ignorant loudmouthed idiot.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 07/11/2013 6:14 pm

Well "exister" thank you so much for your input. You really contributed to this conversation, and it's people like you that make me wake up in the morning and smiletinydan.gif .I sense a bad experience with the greek system. Sorry about that eusa_boohoo.gif Anyways the site decided to censor my original wording to happyflowers, obviously I meant to say c. u. n. t. It took minimal logical reasoning to connect those dots as I'm sure other less ignorant (and less vocal) readers did, not quite a stretch for a normal persons intelligence. Oh wait, I'm talking to an ignorant loudmouthed idiot.

I've never met a frat member or seen a frat house in my life, actually. And, this is pretty funny, I actually typed out the word "c_nt", it censored ME to "happyflowers". Yours said "c[asterisk]nt", so obviously I knew what you meant. What I meant was that that word has never been a short form for "country". Obviously.