Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone Log

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 07/11/2013 1:12 am

A little bit of backstory:

-Had mild acne (pustules, small whiteheads, on the rare occasion cysts) for about five years now.

-My acne seems to have become hormonal

-Oily combination skin (gets weird dry patches, but gets shiny very quickly)

-My pores clog frequently

I've just been prescribed 50 mg of Spiro a day. My dr wanted to start on a lower dose then work up to higher if I need it. I'm hoping this works!!

I have been on antibiotics for the past two years - bad, I know. I'm finally weaning myself off Minocycline since I'm taking Spiro now. I cleanse with La Roche Posay Effaclar and the Clarisonic Mia, I moisturize with CeraVe, and I use Epiduo at night.

So here's to hopefully better skin on Spiro. I've only been on it for two days so no major changes yet. My main goal is to have less oily skin, less clogged pores, and of course, clear skin around my period (which is when I break out).

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 07/11/2013 2:30 am

Good luck - hope it all goes well for you :)

I'll probably be following this silently - but I'm interested to hear other people's experiences with spiro because if the regimen ends up being something I don't continue for some reason, spiro is one of the next things on my list.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 07/13/2013 10:28 pm

Sounds good Lily!

Been taking Spiro for about 5 days now. I haven't noticed any changes in oil production; my skin's still pretty oily. Thank God for blotting sheets...

"That week" that I tend to break out during is coming up soon. I don't expect the Spiro to work right away, so if I do break out, I won't worry too much. I'm willing to give Spiro 4 or so months to see if it really works. Thankfully, I haven't really noticed any side effects except I get really thirsty during the night.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 07/18/2013 1:59 am

Day 9

Still getting clogged pores right around my nose and upper lip. I have always had a problem with these tiny white heads. They're not noticeable so that's good but they're still annoying. I always extract them because I can't stand knowing there's pus underneath my skin. Ha. I'm trying different topicals now in the areas that get clogged to see if they help.

Zit popped up on my cheek today, which makes sense because it's 'that time of the month' for me. It's not big so I'm not really worried, but it's red and annoying, again. I'm not expecting the Spiro to work this fast anyway. I'm determined to stick with it for at least three or four months and see what happens. I'm going back to my derm in August so I may ask to be bumped up to 100 mg, but we'll see.

So far no real side effects either - I don't pee a lot, not that thirsty, not that tired, not losing or gaining any weight.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 07/27/2013 11:11 pm

Been on Spiro for almost 3 weeks now. I still broke out around TOTM, with 3 different mid-size zits. None of them were cystic, though, which is good. This one near my lip is healing now and it's so annoying. :(

I think my skin is a little less oily, but not by much. I still don't notice any side effects with the Spiro. I'm planning on asking my derm if I can up the dosage when I see her in a few weeks. I'm not bummed or anything, but I think it'll take a higher dosage to prevent my hormonal breakouts.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 08/08/2013 12:38 am

Been on Spiro for about a month now, maybe a little more. I saw my derm a few days ago and she bumped my dosage up to 100 mg a day. I am quite happy with this because I don't think 50 mg was enough for me.

Still not seeing any major differences on my skin. I still get clogged pores, although it seems like less than usual. I still have oily skin, but the oiliness seems to have toned down as well. I'm hoping with 100 mg I see more visible results.

I am also using Aczone in the morning now, which I like a lot. Doesn't dry me out and feels nice on the face, like a moisturizer. As always, I am also using Epiduo at night, which I like a lot too.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 08/27/2013 10:45 am

I know no one really checks this thread, but I'm mostly logging this to keep track of my progress, so whatever. Haha.

I've been on Spiro for almost two months now, been on 100 mg for about 3 weeks. I think I can definitely see some progress. My skin seems less oily for sure. I usually have to blot several times during the day, but now I'm good blotting maybe once or twice during the whole day. I also did not break out around my time of the month, which is when I normally break out. I got one tiny zit on my chin but that's it.

Overall I am really liking the Spiro. I have noticed I need to pee a lot more now with the 100 mg, but it's manageable.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 08/27/2013 1:22 pm

Good luck! Did you stop the minocycline? What dose were you on? I have been on spiro 100mg and mino 50mg for over 7 months - I'm super scared to come off the mino...

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 09/02/2013 10:04 pm

Good luck! Did you stop the minocycline? What dose were you on? I have been on spiro 100mg and mino 50mg for over 7 months - I'm super scared to come off the mino...

I think I was on 50 mg of Mino a day, and yes I stopped as soon as I started taking the Spiro. I didn't suffer from any unusual breakouts after stopping the Mino. The Mino wasn't doing anything for me anyway, so it was pretty much useless in my regimen.

Been 2 months now, still really enjoying Spiro. I think my body has gotten more used to it cause I don't need to pee as frequently. I have less oily skin for sure, and still have not broken out aside from a tiny pimple or two.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 09/10/2013 10:57 am

So I guess there's always trouble in paradise :(

Last week, I noticed some light spotting when I should've been ovulating (this was about a week after my normal period). The spotting stopped after a few days, and now, I've gotten a 2nd period this month. It's kind of heavy too, which isn't normal for me (sorry for TMI). I know Spiro causes irregular periods in some women, so I'm not necessarily shocked, but I'm definitely not happy about having 2 periods. I was doing so well with the whole no side effects thing - I don't even notice having to pee frequently anymore :(

Spiro has done great things for my skin. I've been clear for about about a month and a half, excluding a few tiny blackheads. My oil level has definitely decreased, and I didn't break out around my normal period like I usually do. For the first time in FOREVER....probably years, I went out in public at my university without any foundation on. All I had was concealer under my eyes and on a few tiny hyperpigmentation spots. No powder at all. It felt so liberating to look in the mirror and see how pretty my skin looked, naturally. It's an awesome feeling, and I don't want to give it up by stopping Spiro.

I don't know how long I can wait to see if my cycle balances out...it's such a nuisance. I'm going to my school's health center today but I doubt the doctor will know much about Spiro...so I guess I might try and get on BC to see if it balances out my hormones.

MemberMember
(@frackgirl33)

Posted : 09/21/2013 12:55 pm

Are you on a contraceptive at all? I'm on Spiro and Tri-Sprintec (which is generic ortho-tri-cyclin) and have never had any problems with irregular periods. I only take 50mg Spiro, however, so that could also be the difference. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/07/2013 6:19 pm

You can also try cycling spiro.

For example, not using it DURING your period, since your hormones are at rock bottom at that point so you don't need it and see if that stops the irregularities.

Some dermatologists recommend this.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 10/09/2013 2:21 pm

I am not on a BC right now. I'm looking into starting BC because I am still having irregularities with my period. We'll see how that goes, because other than the period thing, I really really like Spiro. My oil lever has definitely decreased and my skin looks pretty and clear 99% of the time; that 1% goes to the occasional small pimple that pops up. If I get any zits, they are quite small and gone within a day or two. I feel comfortable without makeup on, which is a big step because I used to have to wear full makeup at all times to feel good about myself. I feel good working out (I used to not work out because I was afraid of people seeing my skin). It's a great feeling.