Notifications
Clear all

Epiduo: Burning, Itching, Redness

MemberMember
(@dariand321)

Posted : 07/10/2013 9:38 pm

Okay, I'm new here but I made an account specifically to post about Epiduo. My dermatological Physician's Assistant friend has given me a bunch of samples of Epiduo gel (about a months worth) to use before getting a prescription. I've been using it for 5 days and holy smokes is Epiduo sucky. The first time I applied it it tingled a little and I woke up the next morning and it was fine. Each day, it's been burning every night, more and more. ESPECIALLY if I put moisturizer on right afterwards, which I have stopped doing because it makes my face feel like it's on fire. Also, my face becomes bright red and hot after the application of Epiduo (although by the time I wake up in the morning this has subsided). I have experienced very minor peeling, but my face is definitely dry and it has a sunburned like look to it. I don't really think I put much on, probably a pea to two pea sized amounts for my entire face. My forehead is the only area that isn't really irritated at all. Honestly, this is so painful and suckish that I am considering stopping using Epiduo. I really want this to work but I don't know, it doesn't seem like it's really helping that much and I can't wear make up and my skin looks awful. Has anyone else here had success with Epiduo and could give me advice? Thanks so much.

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 07/10/2013 10:20 pm

Epiduo is always best introduced slowly. You should apply a pea size amount every 3 days for a few applications, then ever 2 days for a few applications and then everyday. Applying every night straight away is (as you have experienced) just asking for trouble.

Epiduo also usually works well alongside a topical antiobitic such as eryacne (or something similar). Epiduo applied at night with a layer of topical antibiotic and moisturiser, and then just the antibiotic in the morning with moisturiser.

Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@dariand321)

Posted : 07/10/2013 11:03 pm

Thanks :) I think I will try doing it every other day instead. I didn't really get actual instructions on how to use it since I got it through a friend so I just googled the directions but obviously it's overwhelming my skin. But again, thanks for the advice! :)

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 07/10/2013 11:18 pm

Oh, but this is a prescription medication - you really should be talking to a doctor about it before continuing to use it. That way they will also prescribe you the antibiotic gel that is normally used alongside.

MemberMember
(@dariand321)

Posted : 07/11/2013 10:21 am

The only problem is that it takes 6 months to get into any dermatologists in my area, so if you make an appointment you only end up seeing the Physician's Assistant anyways. I'm moving out of state in about 30 days. I'm going to be starting Ortho Tri Cyclin and my acne is usually mild and sometimes can be moderate, so I don't think I need an antibiotic.

MemberMember
(@onaclearmission)

Posted : 07/12/2013 8:25 pm

Hey, I hope epiduo works out for you, it's doing wonders for me and I've been using it just over a week. I only use it at night, a pea size amount and only on my acne affected areas. I haven't experienced the stinging red itchy side effects everyone talks about....

Morning: cleanse face with my mild 0.5% salicylic wash, moisterise with cetaphil

Night: cleanse face with my mild 0.5% salicylic wash, let face dry for 10mins, apply pea size amount of epiduo to acne affected areas, let epiduo dry and wait 10mins, moisterise with cetaphil

If you're sensitive to the epiduo, make sure you use a gentle non medicated cleanser and moisteriser like cetaphil.

My acne is mainly on my chin, angry red swollen cysts! Just a week of using epiduo the bumpiness has gone down by 90%! I still have pimples on my chin, but it's not so cystic, and any new pimples are more discreet and go away after a day or two. I'm loving epiduo, it's really helped with the inflammation and I really hope it keeps on working as my wedding day is in September! Good luck :)

MemberMember
(@dariand321)

Posted : 07/12/2013 9:19 pm

Thanks! I took a night off and applied it tonight and my face didn't burn or sting or turn bright red! Yay! I have been breaking out a lot more but I think it's the result of the treatment itself. My skin is also really dry still but I'm using cetaphil moisturizer like all day long and I'm hoping it will just get better and better. I think I will just use Epiduo every other day though! I'm glad to hear your acne is clearing up!

MemberMember
(@disturbedicecream)

Posted : 09/05/2021 11:04 am

Hey there!

I hope u having a well-n-healthy clear skin...Well after reading your post, I am also suffering from same things u had described, I mean my face burns but my forehead doesn't and that all... Can u suggest something to reduce this burning sensation and some tips, well I would really be glad to hear your roadmap to clear skin :D

I would really appreciate your experience and help.. Thanks