Notifications
Clear all

Blackheads And Laser

MemberMember
(@fruitbiscuits)

Posted : 07/10/2013 2:57 pm

Sometimes next year, I am planning to treat my shallow scarring with laser like Repair or Total FX. I have acne scarring on both cheeks. It's mix of rolling, boxcar, icepick. I also have blackheads, enlarged pore a little bit, very rarely get a new pimple.

Recently I've been hearing from others(not a doctor, but people who underwent laser treatments such as CO2, repair) that laser treatment will diminish blackheads. Is it true? It makes sense a bit if I think about how laser works, but I am not fully convinced yet...also I am not knowledgeable on laser topic so much.

Does anyone know about this?

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 07/10/2013 5:11 pm

I have never heard of co2 laser diminishing blackheads. Do you mean the laser vaporizes blackheads or helps them surface? I have heard of people getting blackheads and millia after co2 laser when they used aquaphor or Vaseline, as their pores ended up clogged. If you do decide to do laser, I highly recommend using a post-op kit, like Avene's SOS Complete kit and their Cicalfate cream, instead of Aquaphor/Vaseline. I used Aquaphor after TCA Cross and my first laser treatment. Both times, I broke out and ended up with blackheads. Using Avene's kit, I didn't experience any issues and found the spring water very calming for my skin. I do still get blackheads when I wear makeup, so I have completely stopped using powder since my second laser treatment.

MemberMember
(@acnescar123)

Posted : 07/10/2013 5:36 pm

More likely than not - it won't help with blackheads/enlarged pores. It would also be dumb to undergo a treatment such as a fractional co2 just for blackheads.

MemberMember
(@fruitbiscuits)

Posted : 07/12/2013 8:34 am

I have never heard of co2 laser diminishing blackheads. Do you mean the laser vaporizes blackheads or helps them surface? I have heard of people getting blackheads and millia after co2 laser when they used aquaphor or Vaseline, as their pores ended up clogged. If you do decide to do laser, I highly recommend using a post-op kit, like Avene's SOS Complete kit and their Cicalfate cream, instead of Aquaphor/Vaseline. I used Aquaphor after TCA Cross and my first laser treatment. Both times, I broke out and ended up with blackheads. Using Avene's kit, I didn't experience any issues and found the spring water very calming for my skin. I do still get blackheads when I wear makeup, so I have completely stopped using powder since my second laser treatment.

I am confused products like aquaphor and vaseline...because petroleum jelly classified as non comedogenic and it won't clog pores. It sounds safe to use it after laser treatment. But it also makes sense to me that it possibly causes blackheads and breakouts for some people including me. I tried it before for a few days, and I broke out horribly...!

"petroleum jelly can prevent the skin from releasing toxins, sweat and sebum. If this happens, the skin can™t breathe or eliminate toxins, thereby blocking pores and causing breakouts. In the final analysis, it seems to depend upon the individual."

Thank you *Inspired* for sharing your experience smile.png I'll defiantly check out a post-kit instead of petroleum jelly. I hope your second treatment is going well! I still use mineral powder on my face, and I know I should stop that...!

More likely than not - it won't help with blackheads/enlarged pores. It would also be dumb to undergo a treatment such as a fractional co2 just for blackheads.

No, I don't want to go through painful co2 laser treatment just for blackheads lol. Thank you for your comment!

ZoomButt.gif
MemberMember
(@scarredemon)

Posted : 07/14/2013 8:31 am

After every laser treatment I had, the blackheads on my nose seem to surface up and extraction of it is so much easier. After after two weeks, it all came back :-(

MemberMember
(@fruitbiscuits)

Posted : 07/17/2013 11:44 am

After every laser treatment I had, the blackheads on my nose seem to surface up and extraction of it is so much easier. After after two weeks, it all came back whistling.gif(

Thank you for sharing scaredemon. Too bad...your blackheads came back...! I hate blackheads neutral.gif These days, I try to exfoliate and clean up my pores once every 2 weeks, and use BHA to eliminate blackhead. It seems to be working for me for now. Maybe you should give a try!

ZoomButt.gif
MemberMember
(@scarredemon)

Posted : 07/17/2013 12:55 pm

Hey FruitBiscuits, I've tried using BHA products after hearing many positive reviews. However, it didn't work for me. In fact it kinda of gave me more blackheads on top of what I already have o.O

Just like you, I use a clay mask twice a week. After rinsing it off, I would then proceed to do manual extraction. Pretty good but it's a long term commitment :(