Notifications
Clear all

Talking About Acne With Friends Or Peers

MemberMember
(@adayinthelife)

Posted : 07/10/2013 5:32 am

I always feel like I am the only guy I know that worries about Acne even a little bit, nobody in school ever talks about it or brings it up and I wonder if other people treat their faces as well but I wouldn't ask them or bring it up. So I ran a little experiment and typed into Facebook some of the popular Acne brands like Proactiv, Clean And Clear and Clearasil and all these people I know had liked them, 90% girls but still, suddenly it was like Acne isn't really that much of a taboo subject amongst these people. I guess it's not the usual chit chat but still, I don't know if any of my close friends do anything about it or if it worries them and so I feel a bit isolated. What about you guys? Do you feel comfortable talking about it or do you kind of keep it a secret?

MemberMember
(@wheatfree)

Posted : 07/10/2013 6:53 am

I do not bring it up. If i am talking to someone with acne, I figure they may think I'm bringing attention to their problem and feel uncomfortable. If I am talking to someone with clear skin, I figure 2things may happen. Either I will have to listen to a story about one little pimple that they got once or they will try to cure my skin problems ( which would be great if they actually could, but they can't).

However, I have no problem discussing it if someone else brings it up. It is probably a very healthy thing to be able to discuss it openly. Lots of kids at my school want to talk about it. They are always in search of cures for their own skin problems.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 07/10/2013 7:04 am

I don't talk about my acne with friends. Even when I was in high school I tried not to talk about it. Not many of my friends then had skin issues anyway.

Acne / my skin is a really difficult thing for me to talk about in person - even with close family- so I try and avoid the subject where possible. It's obvious I have acne though so it's not like I can keep it a secret. I just prefer not to draw even more attention to it by talking about it, unless I bring it up I guess, because then I'm obviously willing to talk about it or feel 'prepared' to talk about it.

MemberMember
(@lizardanne)

Posted : 07/10/2013 8:41 am

The only person I can talk to about it comfortably is my boyfriend, because he luckily thinks I'm beautiful either way haha. Still though, sometimes when I stress about it or complain I get uncomfortable and bummed out, even if he doesn't mind listening. I just can't help feeling that whenever I talk about it, unless they're also struggling, people just don't understand, or are thinking that they're glad they don't have the same problem and won't relate or help. You know?

MemberMember
(@underneath32)

Posted : 07/10/2013 9:10 am

When i see someone with acne, i really want to tell them about the regime and help them! However i really don't want to make these people feel even more self conscious by bringing unwanted attention to their skin. I think i might start to do it anyway, in the long run i could have a profound affect on someones life, hmm...

MemberMember
(@cx202020)

Posted : 07/10/2013 11:45 pm

l talk about acne with my family and close friends. Obviously nobody likes or want acne, so when we do talk about acne its mostly about products we've tried and we share with each other our experience and results. I feel relieved whenever I talk with family and close friends about my acne because they don't judge me physically. I believe sharing and empowering each other about facts and knowledge of acne and ways to cure it is what can help someone's self-esteem knowing that they're not Alone! :)

MemberMember
(@maskedone)

Posted : 07/11/2013 6:27 am

This is an interesting question. Had you asked this years ago, I would have said absolutely I DO NOT talk about this with friends. I would talk to my mom and that's about it. As a teenager plagued with acne, I found the kids I went to school with to be quite cruel. I had friends, but I was by far the one with the worst complexion. This held true for my 20's too.

Today, I talk to my husband and my mom the most. When I was really struggling, I did commiserate with a few close girlfriends, but have since stopped. When it's gets really bad, it's embarrassing to admit a perceived flaw, even to a friend.

MemberMember
(@dermarolling-girl)

Posted : 07/11/2013 9:05 am

I was just thinking about that yesterday. I know a few girls who have the same issues I have but they have never talked about it. I talk to one girl all the time and have felt tempted to ask her about it...mostly wanted to know if it was something she got as an adult or suffered from acne as a teen. It doesn't even seem to bother her and she has cysts all over her face. I get one little one and I go into hiding...

back to your question...nope. My friends and I do not talk about those things. That's why I come here.

MemberMember
(@adayinthelife)

Posted : 07/11/2013 9:22 am

When i see someone with acne, i really want to tell them about the regime and help them! However i really don't want to make these people feel even more self conscious by bringing unwanted attention to their skin. I think i might start to do it anyway, in the long run i could have a profound affect on someones life, hmm...

I wouldn't recommend this, Acne might not bother them much at all and you saying that may really hurt them or if they are worried about it they probably know about it already and for me, if somebody said that, it would kill me from the inside and I would always remember it. It really is a personal issue, others shouldn't stick there nose in it unless it's a comfortable situation. The regimen doesn't work for everyone. Maybe if it's someone that you talk about skin issues with and your in the middle of a conversation about Acne, you could say "have you been on Acne.org, it's really good".