Notifications
Clear all

Had Tca Cross Done Today

MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 07/09/2013 3:03 pm

Hello everyone,

I have not been on these boards for over a year but would like to inform everyone of my progress. I had the guts today to go to the best derm in Michigan at the University of Michigan Dermatology and had a TCA Cross test spot done today. He basically just took a toothpick and nicked about 4-5 scars on my upper right cheek, like the high cheekbone area. He said its best to do a conspicuous spot first and see how I react. He used 90% TCA and my next appointment is August 15th if I react well. So far, it looks as if nothing happened. No redness, no nothing. Maybe the scabs should form tomorrow. So far, I'm pretty happy!

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 07/09/2013 3:27 pm

Keep us posted, I assume all ice pick scars?

MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 07/09/2013 3:52 pm

I assumed they were icepick and he told me they were pretty much icepick scars as well. I have about 5-10 on each cheek that I would like to treat.

MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 07/10/2013 2:16 pm

So today is Day 2 and a couple of the scars he treated look like they have formed the scab but it looks more like a very very thin dried layer of blood after a pimple pops rather than a scab. It does not bother me at all. I am still applying Vaseline on them. I really hope the ones he treated will plump up with this one treatment!

I have a question. What if a full scab does not form? Is it still possible for my scars to improve?

MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 07/15/2013 9:19 pm

So one of my scabs fell off on Saturday which was only day 5 since I had it done on a Tuesday. The other tiny tiny ones fell off on day 7. The biggest one fell off first and is slightly pink. The other ones were so tiny and left no marks. I expect the pink/red color from the biggest one to go away in a couple days though and right now all of the test spot scars looks soo much better! None of them look worse. It already makes my right cheek look smoother. I'm so happy and excited, but don't want to get too excited yet for some reason.

MemberMember
(@4meracneguy)

Posted : 07/16/2013 1:22 am

How hard did your doctor prick the toothpick into the scars? I had a spot test done on one scar two months ago and it looked worse right away and still looks worse than before. My doctor poked the toothpick really hard into the scar multiple times. Is that what your doctor did? Thanks.

MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 07/16/2013 11:44 pm

My doctor poked them very lightly, I believe. But what I consider light may not be what you consider light, but in general he barely poked them. I think I spoke too soon about my biggest scar. It kind of looks wider today and a little worse. I hope it fills in soon.

MemberMember
(@anthonytong)

Posted : 07/17/2013 3:55 am

My doctor poked them very lightly, I believe. But what I consider light may not be what you consider light, but in general he barely poked them. I think I spoke too soon about my biggest scar. It kind of looks wider today and a little worse. I hope it fills in soon.

The scar usually looks worse at first, due to inflammation. It will look normal after one to two weeks. And collagen takes about 90 days to build up, so you have to be patient :)

MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 07/21/2013 12:37 am

So guys my scars looks so much better today. It been about two weeks now and I have no redness at all. The tiniest ones, almost like scarred pores, have pretty much disappeared. But the larger one may need another cross. I can't wait for my next session!!

panos liked
MemberMember
(@redsearch)

Posted : 07/21/2013 8:21 pm

3 days ago I did the TCA cross on myself. I'm hoping for a good result. I had 2 previous cross treatments by a dermatologist. The last treatment I I had I barely noticed any improvement. So I'm hoping that this treatment I gave myself will show improvement. I'm keeping all treated areas coated in vasaline for at least 7 days.

I have really oily skin so it's driving me crazy and I can't wait to wash my face!

MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 08/16/2013 2:09 pm

Ok, so I had my first full tca cross on Tuesday! I am seeing Dr. Jeffrey Orringer at U of M. I told him not to be too aggressive still and only treat a few scars on each cheek. I have scabs, but again, they don't really seem like a true scab. They seem more like a thin layer of dryed blood. But my goodness, I can already see a difference! My skin already looks smoother. I caught a glimpse of myself in a car window yesterday and I wasn't repulsed but my own scars or reflection. I am so beyond happy right now that I found something that seems to be working. I never expected tca cross to seemingly give immediate results, but it seems like it for me. I am praying that when the scabs falls off, I see a bigger improved difference.

There is some hope, guys. Hang in there!

I'm just a little confused about after care. My doc and nurse say to keep Vaseline on until scabs FALL off. But advice on here seems to be to keep Vaseline on just until scabs form and then stop. I'm following docs advice, but which one is it? My doc also says you want to avoid the formation of a scab, but people on here seem to want a scab.

MemberMember
(@anthonytong)

Posted : 08/16/2013 5:13 pm

Hi, lisa.

did you wash your face after tca cross? Some said your face cant touch water until the scab fell off, but some said you can wash your face gently.

Btw I think you should use vaseline during the whole recovery state, it moist your wound and prevent infection.

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 08/16/2013 5:55 pm

People here want scabs because it is natural and prevents dirt etc. from infecting your skin.

But the truth is, if the skin is healing without a scab, blood, fluids, nutrients, cells, etc. will be able to move much more freely on the site of injury making the healing faster and more efficient. BUT again, the scab is there TO PREVeNT dirt pollution,etc. from goin in.

So if you are gonna put vaseline on the injury THEN it is better to have no scab as the vaseline already serves as a barrier.

On the other hand, if you're not gonna protect the injury, then it is better to let it scab.

MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 08/16/2013 6:46 pm

Thanks for the replies. I do not wash my face. When I shower my hair, I try my best not to let water hit my face. Thanks for explaining the reasoning behind the scabs. Some areas he treated have the scabs, and some did not. But, I am keeping Vaseline on all areas..

MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 08/18/2013 10:48 pm

I'm not sure I like what I see anymore. The treated spots that did not scab are just extremelyyyyyy red and look very irritated. I'm actually pretty depressed right now. It doesn't seem like my test area where I only had a very minor pink color on one scar that went away after a few days. I can tell these will be lingering for quite a while. It is only day 5 and a half, so maybe I'm overreacting. But, I know my skin and this doesn't look good.

MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 08/23/2013 1:32 pm

Well, the redness did go away!! I think I overreacted. It's been 10 days post treatment and I see about a 30 percent improvement. But it's hard to say. The doc did poke a chicken pox scar and I'm not sure if this one looks worse than before, I think. I guess he thought it was an acne scar??

Anyways, the whole procedure in his office takes five minutes. Is this typical?

MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 10/15/2013 9:25 pm

So...it's been two months and wow!!! I loooooveee my results and I've only had one treatment. Not one scar is deeper, my cheeks look so much smoother and clear. I don't even have redness from old scars. Im thinking when they closed up from the tca, the redness went away too. I've received compliments from my siblings who always point out anything lol. I think I need one more round, I just don't know when I can schedule it because I have gone back to work. I hope this helps anyone out there. Tca cross has changed my life.

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 10/15/2013 10:35 pm

So...it's been two months and wow!!! I loooooveee my results and I've only had one treatment. Not one scar is deeper, my cheeks look so much smoother and clear. I don't even have redness from old scars. Im thinking when they closed up from the tca, the redness went away too. I've received compliments from my siblings who always point out anything lol. I think I need one more round, I just don't know when I can schedule it because I have gone back to work. I hope this helps anyone out there. Tca cross has changed my life.

Wow! Im jumping in joy! Im soooooo happy for you! I can feel your happiness from here too!

Hey, i was wondering, what type of skin you you have? (Eg. Asian, causcasian, black, brown, white)

And how much did you pay for one treatment?

Cause i heard tca cross have more people with better results on asian decents.

Anyways, i wish you would finish your journey on this long long fight of acne and scars. Im really happy for you.

I hope i also finish my journey.

MemberMember
(@325world)

Posted : 10/15/2013 10:40 pm

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 10/15/2013 10:42 pm

Wow! Im jumping in joy! Im soooooo happy for you! I can feel your happiness from here too!

Hey, i was wondering, what type of skin you you have? (Eg. Asian, causcasian, black, brown, white)

Anyways, i wish you would finish your journey on this long long fight of acne and scars. Im really happy for you.

Really? I heard it is just as risky as ablative lasers, on non-white skin.

Well, TCA cross was created in Korea. Not only that, they also tested it with korean patients and found a lot benefitted.

So i really do think it is "originally" targeted to asians at first.

MemberMember
(@325world)

Posted : 10/15/2013 10:51 pm

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 10/16/2013 3:28 pm

Really? I heard it is just as risky as ablative lasers, on non-white skin.

Well, TCA cross was created in Korea. Not only that, they also tested it with korean patients and found a lot benefitted.

So i really do think it is "originally" targeted to asians at first.

Yeah I recall hearing that. Overall I've seen less complaints about skin pigment related to TCA Cross. I'm almost 99% sure I will get it done on my temples for ice picks.

I also noticed that many surgeons do not warn you about pigment. For example a plastic surgeon I had consulted with regarding other surgeries, recently when asked about acne scars, suggested fractional c02 and ablative pixel laser without any mention of skin type, even though he knew I had olive skin. Another cosmetic dermatologist earlier this year told me that profractional ablative laser is great for olive skin, which is complete bs as well, and to boot: profractional has the worst reviews of all lasers I have considered.

I would have changed my plastic surgeon as soon as i heard that. Seriously, that just shows their hunger for money and do not care about your results. They only want your money.

MemberMember
(@325world)

Posted : 10/17/2013 3:50 pm

MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 10/19/2013 12:39 pm

Hello AghhNe, thank you! I am middle eastern and have always considered myself to be pale lol. But the doctor who treated me considered me to be olive. I consider someone like Jessica Alba to have olive skin, and I feel I am a shade or two lighter.

MemberMember
(@giveback)

Posted : 10/21/2013 9:16 am

Hey lisa can we have some pictures please? I had my first tca cross 4 years ago with only one session. I am also Asian by the way. My main concern is acne scars on my nose. They are somewhat deep ice pick scars. First session did nothing to them though. Did you get cross on your nose?

hii_zpse78deade.jpg